What are you playing?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

AEUGNewtype
ANGERME

Re: What are you playing?

Post by AEUGNewtype »

[quote name='Al Kusanagi' timestamp='1359415747' post='142949']

Try the Uncharted games. I love them so I'm sure you'll find plenty to hate about them.

[/quote]

I have tried them a couple times, they're extremely uninteresting to me. I wouldn't say they're bad games, they're pretty well made, they just feel like a combination of 3 or 4 different popular series all thrown together into one game and doesn't do anything new with any of those styles, just regurgitates them and wraps it all up in a generic Hollywood-blockbuster-esque package, which I don't particularly care for. Any other suggestions?
Last edited by AEUGNewtype on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Valkyria Chronicles?

Also, if you get Playstation Plus, you get something like a dozen games for free that rotate out every couple of months.
Last edited by al kusanagi on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
AEUGNewtype
ANGERME

Post by AEUGNewtype »

Nah, not into JRPGs and not going to subscribe to an expensive service for a system I don't actually own, and I despise the idea of only having the game for a few months and then having your privilege to play it taken away a few months later or having them taken away when you stop your subscription to the service. Its a cool idea, but at that point, you may as well just rent it or buy a copy and trade it back in a few months, since they're mostly older games that can be gotten for really cheap anyway.

I am also getting a copy of Afrika and looking into PSN exclusive download titles as possible things to pursue. Any PSN recommendations that aren't on other systems?
Last edited by AEUGNewtype on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Tokyo Jungle is a great, quirky game. I just got Journey and have been enjoying it. Dyad is a really unique musical racing game. Trash Panic is a fun arcade-style trash recycling game.

I got a bunch of stuff for my PS3 recently, but have been too busy to try any of them for very long save one thing: the Ni no Kuni demo. I almost bought the whole game because I've been hearing universal praise for it, but I'm really glad I got the demo first. I've never been a Miyazaki buff, but I'm sure the story will be charming, but I couldn't stand the battle system. It's a kind of like Pokemon and those old Monster Rancher games meets an action-RPG like Radiata Knights and it just turned me off completely. Maybe if it had been turn-based or less complicated with the monsters/familiar thing, but I couldn't put up with 40 hours of it. Penny Arcade's Tycho (is that one Jerry?) put it best: " I’ll tell you this much: it’s a JRPG. It doesn’t really feel like making concessions to some presumed-to-be-good notion of “progress” or “modernity.” It is happy to be an exquisite, almost archetypal representation of the form, which is to say this is probably the least fun game to review in recent memory [due to it's length and what older gamers would consider typical elements]." Go read the rest of his impression, it's a really interesting musing on how "classic" gaming in our childhoods is lost on the younger generation as they develop their own "classics."
AEUGNewtype
ANGERME

Post by AEUGNewtype »

I actually got the demo for Trash Panic and haven't tried it yet. I'd also like to try out Tokyo Jungle before I get it, especially for $15.

That's a pretty accurate description of Ni no Kuni and interesting what PA said about it. The game was pretty terrible and archaic, but JRPG fans seem to not really care or even want that, so I guess they're giving fans what they want.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote name='The☆AEUGNewtype' timestamp='1359421972' post='142958']

Nah, not into JRPGs

[/quote]

It's actually a turn-based strategy game and a really, really good one.
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

I'm getting a my first RPG feel from Ni no Kuni. I wish there was a hard mode. The genre heights continue to be Tales and the SMT games. Xenoblade on the Wii was great fun too.

My PS3 greats list is completely different. Lol.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Ni no Kuni looked good from the three seconds of it I saw, so keep us posted, Petit. I've been grinding Tales of Graces f for weeks and need a new RPG in my life.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

I think people are overlooking the fact that Ni no Kuni is A CHILDREN'S GAME! It is also a JRPG-ass JRPG, so if you like the genre and all its tropes, it doesn't seem that bad.

Personally, although I love JRPGs, the second I saw the Pokeymans system used for combat, I decided I didn't want to play it. Also, I fucking hate "here's a 6 year old main character that's going to save the world" stories.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

Not playing yet, but today I treated myself to Theahrhythm Final Fantasy and Itadaki Street Portable (PSP version). I AM SO EXCITED I CAN'T WAIT. Itadaki Street will take a bit longer to arrive though...
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

AEUGNewtype
ANGERME

Post by AEUGNewtype »

The game looks decent, but it not having trophies makes a lot less incentive to actually play it, especially with a game like that where its pretty long and has a ton of shit to do, I'd be completely unmotivated to actually do everything just for shits and giggles, plus its still kinda expensive. The only non-trophy games I'm playing are ones from series that I already love (Ninja Gaiden, Siren)and I'm trying to keep all this at very low cost as much as possible and have been very successful so far. I've spent a total of $45 on PS3 games at this point and got to play just about everything I was interested in and already got platinum trophies in 4 games.

Personally, although I love JRPGs, the second I saw the Pokeymans system used for combat, I decided I didn't want to play it. Also, I fucking hate "here's a 6 year old main character that's going to save the world" stories.
Yup.

today I treated myself to Theahrhythm Final Fantasy
Get ready for time-wasting supreme! Random item drops and slow-as-fuck leveling system makes for a LONG haul. I played for about 180 hours and have perfected every song on every difficulty and still have a lot of shit to unlock.
Last edited by AEUGNewtype on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

today I treated myself to Theahrhythm Final Fantasy
Get ready for time-wasting supreme! Random item drops and slow-as-fuck leveling system makes for a LONG haul. I played for about 180 hours and have perfected every song on every difficulty and still have a lot of shit to unlock.

Yeah well my OCD side loves shit like that. I'm hoping it will replace Fortune Street (the Wii version) as my time waster when Ryan's at work on weekends. BUT OH MY GOD I'M SO EXCITED I CAN'T WAIT.
Kaori • Risako 

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote name='The☆AEUGNewtype' timestamp='1359489422' post='142988']

[quote name='Ap2000' timestamp='1359435323' post='142964']

[/quote]

The game looks decent, but it not having trophies makes a lot less incentive to actually play it, especially with a game like that where its pretty long and has a ton of shit to do, I'd be completely unmotivated to actually do everything just for shits and giggles, [..]

[/quote]

I find this really bizarre. Especially coming from you.
AEUGNewtype
ANGERME

Post by AEUGNewtype »

[quote name='Ap2000' timestamp='1359495006' post='142991']

[/quote]

The game looks decent, but it not having trophies makes a lot less incentive to actually play it, especially with a game like that where its pretty long and has a ton of shit to do, I'd be completely unmotivated to actually do everything just for shits and giggles, [..]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why bizarre? I generally like to have a list of things the developer would like you to explore in the game instead of wandering aimlessly in a game that has hundreds of hours of content. Achievements and trophies tend to just be like a light guideline of what you should be doing in the game, and its nice to have some sense of direction outside of in-game instructions when the game is large or has a lot of content.
Last edited by AEUGNewtype on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote name='The☆AEUGNewtype' timestamp='1359498088' post='142995']

[quote name='Ap2000' timestamp='1359495006' post='142991']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why bizarre? I generally like to have a list of things the developer would like you to explore in the game instead of wandering aimlessly in a game that has hundreds of hours of content. Achievements and trophies tend to just be like a light guideline of what you should be doing in the game, and its nice to have some sense of direction outside of in-game instructions when the game is large or has a lot of content.

[/quote]

I prefer the unknown and don't need some achievements to get me interested in a game. It's why games like Stalker and Dark Souls are among my favourite games of all time. I consider achievements nothing more than a small guideline of how much I might have already seen and in general couldn't care less if they exist or not, since they do not add anything to the actual gameplay.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AEUGNewtype
ANGERME

Post by AEUGNewtype »

[quote name='Ap2000' timestamp='1359503204' post='143003']

I prefer the unknown and don't need some achievements to get me interested in a game. It's why games like Stalker and Dark Souls are among my favourite games of all time. I consider achievements nothing more than a small guideline of how much I might have already seen and in general couldn't care less if they exist or not, since they do not add anything to the actual gameplay.

[/quote]

They don't get me "interested" in a game. Interest comes from it being a good game or looking like it fits my interests, achievement systems just give me more motivation to actually explore and/or finish more games. When you work 40+ hours a week, you start taking your gaming time a little more seriously and choose more carefully which ones you spend time on, and I don't really like playing the same game for too long of a period. I like more variety, so I choose carefully which ones I play and having guidelines for what should be explored makes most games a little shorter than just running around for 100 hours in every game I play. We're two different kinds of gamers, I guess.
Sabaku Ika
モーニング娘。

Post by Sabaku Ika »

Does anyone have an unwanted Play-Asia coupon that I could use?
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://tsoape.wordpress.com">The Slowest of All Possible Elevators</a>
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://psnprofiles.com/staplefrog">[img ... lefrog.png[/img]</a>

star
ANGERME

Post by star »

Recently, I've been trying to complete my game of Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns for the DS. I cannot explain how much I love HM; I've been a fan since I was six. I still scour my GameStop every week for a copy of "A Wonderful Life: Special Edition" for PS2, since AWL for GameCube was my first HM game.

Anyway, this is the closest I've ever come to beating a HM game. I already have the two Villages re-united and the tunnel open. I've lived in Konohana and Bluebell, but I'm currently in Bluebell because the Konohana farm didn't have enough room for my Alpacas. (I need them so I can give their wool to the Oracle to get the last two clothing sets.) I still travel between the villages to use Konohana's crop field, and to court Hiro. I have Hiro at the red flower level, but I'm still trying to activate his yellow flower event. Also, I need to make sure his Friendship points are at maximum so I can get the reverse proposal. (And I want to get married in Winter, so I have a couple of seasons to get him at a high level.)

Animals I have are:

•1 Normal Cow

•1 Jersey Cow

•1 Normal Sheep

•1 Suffolk

•1 White Alpaca

•1 Brown Alpaca

•2 Normal Chickens

•1 Silkie

And for pets I have a Shetland Pony, a big dog, a small dog, and a cat. I'm in the process of buying more Chickens and Silkies since poultry is easy to take care of. I'm not sure if I want more Livestock since they are a lot of work.

I have the Konohana farm almost complete. I have two field upgrades and the water milll; which I'm currently growing rice.

I haven't done anything to the Bluebell farm yet, since I spend a lot of time in Konohana, but I'm working on the house upgrade so I can have a baby once I get married. It requires 30 2½ star or higher lumber, 30 2½ star or higher stone, and 1000000 G. I might be working on that upgrade for awhile.
Last edited by star on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

AurA
こぶしファクトリー

Post by AurA »

anyone into Diablo3? Ive started getting back into it and would like try co-op again, grinding act3 is only fun for so long.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

GOT THEATRHYTHM YESTERDAY! Only got to play a bit but I love it so far. I started out from the beginning to the end, but I decided to start with XIII and go backwards because I've never even played it so like...get it out of the way for now.
Kaori • Risako 

al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

I can tell you what I won't be playing: Dead Space 3.

Man, EA is trying to steal George Lucas' title for ruining trilogies.
AEUGNewtype
ANGERME

Post by AEUGNewtype »

[quote name='Al Kusanagi' timestamp='1360083262' post='143740']

[/quote]

This.

The demo for DS3 made me shake my head from start to finish. It controls like dogshit, the encounters are really cliche and not even scary, the camera was awful, it was basically just designed to be a sci-fi action game, and not even remotely a good one.

I've also finally been playing MGS4. Act 1 was a really slow start and its still retardedly disorienting from previous MGS games, but once Act 2 came along, everything seems to be falling into place for making an awesome experience.

My Xbox 360-style controller for PS3 has made the experience much more tolerable, as well, as is with a few other PS3 games so far. Having the right style of analogs and having them in the right position makes SO much difference. Couldn't use it for Heavy Rain, since it doesn't have Sixaxis and that's one of the most used control mechanisms in the game, but everything else is 10 times better with this thing.
Last edited by AEUGNewtype on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

I've played the Metal Gear Rising Revengance demo a couple times in the past two weeks and I think it's going to be a day-one buy for me. I'm having trouble with the whole parrying system, but it's really action-packed and the story might not be really really bad. (future-spoiler: I'm calling it now, the AIs revolt against the cyborg PMC soldiers; Raiden skirts the line between the two as his body deteriorates and he needs more robotic body parts; trans-humanism and the history of prosthetic limbs are the focus of an early-on 20 minute cutscene; Raiden has to destroy a not-Metal Gear from the inside out and/or the AI-faux-personafied in a master swordsman robot in a bamboo garden or some shit; and the one girl spills doesn't spill her coffee again.)
Last edited by neshcom on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

[/quote]

Whaaat?! I admit I wasn't playing the demo, just watching it, but I felt DS3 was already looking way better than 1 and 2. Though I also admit I only played a little bit of those too.

@nesh: Thank GOD someone else sucks at parrying too. I also can't beat the demo's final boss which makes me feel like a loser. Which means I'll have to get this game to become insanely good at to redeem myself. It's definitely a lot better than I was anticipating. I honestly though it would be the most terrible blight on Metal Gear Solid's name, but surprisingly it seems they handled it seriously. And the battle system is actually challenging to use and rewarding to learn.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

[quote name='showraniy' timestamp='1360177852' post='143813']

@nesh: Thank GOD someone else sucks at parrying too. I also can't beat the demo's final boss which makes me feel like a loser. Which means I'll have to get this game to become insanely good at to redeem myself. It's definitely a lot better than I was anticipating. I honestly though it would be the most terrible blight on Metal Gear Solid's name, but surprisingly it seems they handled it seriously. And the battle system is actually challenging to use and rewarding to learn.

[/quote]

It's doubly embarassing, my friend is, like, amazing at parrying. I guess there's a pretty big window between when an enemy does the red flare/turns orange and when they make contact that you can do it, but I just haven't spent any time on it. We got through the boss on easy mode without too much trouble, but it was tough on normal. Getting used to the blade mode and absorption system will be the big hurdles, I think. My only major gripe is that, when you enter blade mode from running and you're still holding the left stick, the game doesn't ignore that holding as the left stick takes over camera control and you end up looking at enemy crotch or the sky.

My friend, who is an expert at Console Hot Potato (he's owned four 360's on and off) and without a console at the moment is seriously considering buying the game for PS3 and just playing at my place, a move I mostly support, but I kind of also want to own it and play it too...
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Do you play the first couple of hours as Raiden and then switch to Snake? Because no Snake, no play.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

You can change difficulties?! Damn, now I have to play it on Hard or something...

See, I'm embarrassed because all I was doing on my first playthrough was hack and slash, which obviously got my ass severely kicked. Then I learned how to fast run and blade mode which made thing slightly better, but I'm really gonna have to work on those. But no matter how hard I try, I never get parry down. Or even know if I'm doing it correctly. I'm hitting up youtube to watch other people do it now.

[quote name='Al Kusanagi' timestamp='1360182727' post='143819']

Do you play the first couple of hours as Raiden and then switch to Snake? Because no Snake, no play.

[/quote]

I'm guessing no, but I haven't kept up with this game's development either. I think I remember Kojima retiring Snake after MGS4, understandably so with the ending and all.
Last edited by showraniy on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

On the PS3 demo (can't speak for the ZoE version), you can pick Normal or Easy after hitting New Game/Start.

[quote name='Al Kusanagi' timestamp='1360182727' post='143819']

[/quote]

I'm sure you don't. It's all swordplay, very little sneaking. It takes place four years after MGS4, so...
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote name='showraniy' timestamp='1360177852' post='143813']

[/quote]

Whaaat?! I admit I wasn't playing the demo, just watching it, but I felt DS3 was already looking way better than 1 and 2. Though I also admit I only played a little bit of those too.

[/quote]

Then you're probably the crowd they're trying to appeal to... which is the exact opposite of what Dead Space 1's crowd is.

I personally think, and this seems to be the consensus in the gaming community, that the DS series has become even more of a bastardization than Mass Effect.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Possibly, but that'd be a bad idea on their part because I doubt I'll play 3 either. Also, keep in mind I'm saying this as someone who knows nothing about the story in these games, just the gameplay. The only thing I didn't like about 1 and 2 were the cheap scares of OH LOOK A FREAK JUMPING OUT OF THE VENTS TO KILL YOU. Just felt like cheap horror I wouldn't pay to watch in theaters anyway. But again, I only played a little.