What are you playing?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

Melon
ANGERME

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Melon »

Is that the Twin Peaks style game? I've always wanted to play it :lol:

So, I'm playing Toki Towa and it is a shit game. SHIT SHIT SHIT
Yes, the cell shading is beautiful.
Everything else? LOL
Gods it is like the worst animu I'm debating putting it on easy mode so I can just breeze through it quickly. Not that normal isn't easy, it's a bunch of button mashing no strategy involved boringness and the story so far is bad animu so wgas!

Tonight I start Shin Megami Tensei IV.
Now that will be my GOTY, for sure.
Last edited by Melon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Petit Melon" data-cid="157953" data-time="1374179087">Is that the Twin Peaks style game? I've always wanted to play it :lol:</blockquote> 
Yes, it is.
It's a love letter to David Lynch and Trashmovies.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Al Kusanagi" data-cid="157949" data-time="1374178067"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="157942" data-time="1374176734">I actually just screamed out really loud when I read that <a href="http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc/3025797/ ... ml">Deadly Premonition is probably coming to PC</a>.

Everybody that has Steam, please give vote for it !
<a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... blockquote>
Considering the one thing that really holds the game back is the framerate, it should be great on PC.</blockquote>
I read the controls were also pretty shitty (but maybe fixed in the PS3 version ?), so hopefully that won't be a problem anymore with mouse aiming.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I just got Earthbound on the Virtual Console for Wii U and I am excited because I love RPGs and this is one I never got a chance to try before!
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Ho my gay. So, I'll talk about Dynasty Warriors 8 and Yakuza 4 when I've spent more time with them, but I need to tell you about the temptress called Time & Eternity. This is a turd wrapped in fantastic cover art and marketing, but do not be fooled. You play an hero who is about to marry his princess bride whom you've never even kissed despit 6+ months of dating. On the day of your wedding, ninjas burst in, kill you, and your bride turns into her bad-ass persona and then travels back in time to stop the murder causing your soul to be stuck in her pet dragon, Drake. The game features insanely cheap anime sprites in 3D space, dating sim elements, a confusing mess of a battle system, and some of the worst writing to grace a game console. I was very very fortunate to have a local game store that could facilitate a return (though I imagine the clerk bought absolutely none of my "no, I haven't played it yet").

Also, this weekend is the last two days of the Steam Summer Sale. Get em before they're gone until the fall.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="neshcom"]
Dynasty Warriors 8 and Yakuza 4
[/quote]

I saw the Giantbomb quick look of DW8 and that was enough to reinsure me that these hack and slash games are all garbage. lol

Played Y4 last year for ~20h and it was great (just as the first two games, didn't play 3), but unfortunately it's hard to find at an affordable price.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="yuzuriha"]
I just got Earthbound on the Virtual Console for Wii U and I am excited because I love RPGs and this is one I never got a chance to try before!
[/quote]

I love Earthbound.  :heart:  But I don't have it anymore since it was on my old computer.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

[quote="Ap2000"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="neshcom" data-cid="158137" data-time="1374342349">
<div>
Dynasty Warriors 8 and Yakuza 4
[/quote]

I saw the Giantbomb quick look of DW8 and that was enough to reinsure me that these hack and slash games are all garbage. lol
Played Y4 last year for ~20h and it was great (just as the first two games, didn't play 3), but unfortunately it's hard to find at an affordable price.

</div>
</blockquote>

To be fair, apparently the 360 version that they played is broke as fuck and it's getting patched. The PS3 version doesn't have any of the slowdown issues.

But, yeah, there isn't much to them. I've played a a couple of the Gundam versions and they were okay, but nothing I'd want to get deeper into.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Sabaku Ika
モーニング娘。

Post by Sabaku Ika »

I have long agreed with the alleged garbageosity of Dynasty Warriors, but I'm playing 8 and I think they got it right this time. There's still a lot of repetition involved in killing the guy in front of you, but there's also plenty you need to think about, as long as you're not playing on easy. Mashing [] will not make you go to the right place at the right time with the right weapon to help the right ally, run away from Lu Bu at the right speed, etc.
It's still less awesome than Sengoku Basara 4 will likely be, but that is guaranteed to not be localized and I am trying to give up my importing-things addiction.

Also playing Shin Megami Tensei 4, which is just as great as you think it is. Unless you don't think it's as great as it is, in which case, it is better.
Last edited by Sabaku Ika on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://tsoape.wordpress.com">The Slowest of All Possible Elevators</a>
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://psnprofiles.com/staplefrog">[img ... lefrog.png[/img]</a>

yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

[quote="Anderei"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="yuzuriha" data-cid="158041" data-time="1374246189">
<div>
[/quote]

I love Earthbound.  :heart:  But I don't have it anymore since it was on my old computer.

</div>
</blockquote>

I'm actually freaking out right now because I'm not going home tonight so I can't play it.  And then this weekend a family friend is visiting so I'll be at my mom's all weekend.  I am really liking it so far.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Bought Risen 2 Gold (all DLCs), Hard Reset SE, River City Ransom (I actually wrote this, without joking, but I meant Retro City Rampage) and Under the Ocean during the Steam summer sale.
Didn't actually pay for any of these games, since I made 20€ through card sales !

My first impression:
Risen 2 is like Risen 1 and Gothic, which means kinda unhandy, but with a great atmosphere and a feeling only Piranha Bytes can reproduce.
RCR is like GTA in 8-Bit and with more jokes inbetween. This sounds like a wannabe-funny description, but it is absolutely true. It also has some great mini games.
Under the Ocean is like Stranded II (nobody played this =( ) in 2D and with better graphics, very promising. If you can look past the graphics, Stranded II is still the way better game, but UtO is very promising and might just become a really great Robinson Crusoe simulator !
Hard Reset. This fucking game. What if Deus Ex and Blade Runner had a baby and gave it to <a href="http://www.serioussam.wikia.com/wiki/Croteam">Croteam </a>to raise it ? Exactly, this game. If you like electronic music and especially like to listen to it while shooting things, this game will be really damn entertaining to you. Daft Punk, Blood Dragon OST and Hotline Miami OST ALL fit while playing it. I recommend starting on the 3rd difficulty setting, since it's challenging, but not impossible (unlike Serious Sam on the highest difficulty).

Now I'm just playing bankier with aine and waiting for prices to rise on our Getaway cards.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

If you ever thought Super Smash Bros. Melée was "just a party game", think again:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwo_VBSf ... 48D9E92</a>

I can also recommend every single other video on Cosmo's channel, eventhough I've only seen a few, but the guy is a Zelda speed running godess.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

[quote="yuzuriha"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="158142" data-time="1374344390">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="yuzuriha" data-cid="158041" data-time="1374246189">
<div>
[/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

I'm actually freaking out right now because I'm not going home tonight so I can't play it.  And then this weekend a family friend is visiting so I'll be at my mom's all weekend.  I am really liking it so far.

</div>
</blockquote>

I want to get earthbound so bad, but its only available on the wii U and so I can't play it. I'll just have to satisfy myself with lets plays of the game.
Formerly Mizura
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

You can get ROMs of all the Mother games and play them on your computer.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Shadowrun Returns unlocks on Steam in 22 hours!

Why is it not tomorrow already?!?
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

It will be soon. I hate knowing when games come out and not being able to do anything but wait. 
Formerly Mizura
YuuakuRisa
こぶしファクトリー

Post by YuuakuRisa »

I've been really into minecraft lately...like 5 hours a day. I'm sad I'll have to cut back when school comes back.

I've built so much stuff. Used thousands of blocks for one structure alone.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I need to start playing different games again. I tend to spend a lot of time playing skyrim lately...
Formerly Mizura
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

PS3 game impressions dump !

XCOM (PSN+) can be a really infuriating game on "classic" difficulty. The hit possibility calculation is really damn annoying. Basically, anything below 70% hit chance does not hit.
On the other hand, enemies crit all the fucking time. 3 or 4 times already I just had to shut down my PS3 on the spot out of anger, after the game screwed me over again.
It blows my mind that this stupid RNG is coming from the same company that fixed their horrible RNG in Civ IV and even moreso in V. <a href="http://www.schwanenlied.me/yawning/XCOM ... NG.html">I know this sounds like confirmation bias</a>, but Civ 1-3 were known for that crap. Having grazing shots would solve such frustration.
I also can't stand that enemies can move after you've discovered them. The way cover is often useless is also annoying.
Several aspects of this game are really well done, but some, unfortunately very prominent, are insanely annoying and I wish for owning the PC version, just so I can download a mod that rebalances the game.
The only really reliable person in all of my barracks is one of my two snipers, with the other sniper being seemingly short-sighted...
But, I have probably put around 30h into it, because the game otherwise does work and is very interesting.

Tokyo Jungle is a game that I expected to be very different. At first I felt kinda let-down and only played it for maybe ~2h and didn't play it for a few days. But then I've picked it up again and I have to say it is actually much more engaging than you might think at first. The core gameplay mechanic is not fighting, eating or all that obvious stuff, but actually route planning. Once you realize that, TJ opens a whole new dimension of gameplay and becomes this interesting game of managing several things at once. Unlocking everything can probably take several dozen of hours.

Mega Man 9 is really damn hard. I'd say ~3 screens are actually unfair and can not be done on the first time. Luckily, I made it to Dr. Wily's castle and am loaded with lifes, containers and other items !

Played an hour of Uncharted 3 (PSN+), seems more interesting so far than U2, but I can't quite say why yet. Maybe because there weren't any horribly clichéed OH NO, I'M ABOUT TO FALL, GRAB ME moments... yet.

Enslaved has a really annoying camera in battles. I hate it when fights are "orchestrated" in such a way and go for style over usability. Otherwise, it looks good and is promising. Framerate's choppy.

Try out some demos.
Not sure hot to feel about Hard Corps: Uprising...
Playing the GT6 demo made me want to buy GT5.
MotoGP 2013 looks really ugly.
I want to buy Journey... at a reduced price.
Tekken Revolution is fun every now and then online.
The unfinished swan seems like a nice exploration game, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money and won't get boring fast.

The PSN summer sale is a JOKE in comparison to what basically every place and service on the PC is doing/did. And of course the insane amount of DLC is not sold at a reduced price.... pffft....
The whole thing, just as nearly everything on the PSN, is also very shoddily organized and the bad and over-sized new store interface does certainly not help navigating it.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Al Kusanagi" data-cid="158455" data-time="1374694001">
Shadowrun Returns unlocks on Steam in 22 hours!

Why is it not tomorrow already?!?
</blockquote>

I was kinda interested in it, but the reviews are really mixed, pointing out that the dialogue and story are great, but the save system, AI and small levels are garbage/frustrating.

Since they've implemented an editor, I guess these problems can be fixed.

Might check it out during a sale.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

The save thing is nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. It saves when you transition scenes or meet objectives, which is usually no more than 5 to 10 minutes. I guess people are just upset that you can't save scum like you can in something like X-com.

The mission editor is definitely the best thing about it, though. There's already a few new scenarios available in the Steam Workshop.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

And just while playing XCOM, I was reminded of how stupid the (battle) panic system was implemented...
Last edited by Ap2000 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

The director of FF13 wants to marry the main character Lightning:
<a href="http://www.p4rgaming.com/motomu-toriyam ... htning/</a>

Toriyama: That may be the case. But I do love her with all my heart. It’s the reason I wanted every little imperfection corrected in Lightning Returns so of course I wanted her breasts to be bigger and for them to jiggle. It’s only natural for a man to want his woman to look perfect.

Suzuki: I told him that it was very unhealthy for Goto-san to spend so many hours on that character model. Instead of addressing my concerns, Toriyama-san told me to come up with a husband-like character that would look like himself.
Toriyama: That’s not going in the game though. It’s for my own personal use because I really do want to marry her.

After assuring reporters that it was all a big joke, the Lightning Returns staff continued to answer questions until Toriyama started punching a reporter who jokingly said that he was going to marry Lightning first.

[spoiler2]P4R is actually a satire site.[/spoiler2]
Last edited by Ap2000 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

That is hilarious. While I was reading that I just couldn't stop laughing. :XD:
Formerly Mizura
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

What's sad is that it's perfectly believable con sidering his past interviews lol
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thcv9F7o_4Y">Deadly Premonition - Greenlight Comments</a>

This is so... fitting for Deadly Premonition.
I chose to believe that this was all done according to a script, every single tiny thing.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Hooked my PS3 up to my PC monitor and experienced for the very first time (PCSX2 wasn't fluid enough for it) Katamari in 1080p.
Ah, wonderful.
Truly the Katamari games are more near and dear to me than most games in the last ten years.
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

I'm itching to play an RTS game like Age of Empires or Starcraft.

Recommend me something. Immediately.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
Tsuki
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Tsuki »

Well, the Age of Empires II HD version is on sale today for 10 bucks on steam if you don't already have it? I mean, you say you want to play an RTS and you mentioned the big two already, AoE and Starcraft, I dunno what else to suggest. Have you played all the Age games? Age of Mythology was a lot of fun, if you can find it and haven't played it. I hear the Total War series is fun too, but I haven't played it myself since there are so many and I'm never sure what the proper entry is into that game.
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

Yeah AoM was SO GOOD. Ugh. I love mythology.

I have the original AoE 2 and 3 so the HD doesn't add enough for me to buy it. But I am bying Rome: Total War. ASw yissss
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Valerie"]
I'm itching to play an RTS game like Age of Empires or Starcraft.

Recommend me something. Immediately.
[/quote]

Company of Heroes 1 and 2 are the best base-building games in the past ~5 years.
SC is for plebs. kekeke

The Total War games are radically different from games like AoE.
Sabaku Ika
モーニング娘。

Post by Sabaku Ika »

Tales of Xillia comes out tomorrow and I never finished Tales of Graces f for some reason, so I'm trying to do that as fast as I can right now. I've got quite a few hours left to go, but I'm still going to try.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://tsoape.wordpress.com">The Slowest of All Possible Elevators</a>
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://psnprofiles.com/staplefrog">[img ... lefrog.png[/img]</a>