What are you playing?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

neshcom
ANGERME

Re: What are you playing?

Post by neshcom »

Multiple insider sources are claiming the PS4 launch title Driveclub is now being delayed to 2014. Official confirmation from Sony/Evo is still forthcoming, but the number of very trusted sources is very worrying.
If true, this would be a big blow to Sony's launch line up as it is the only day-one and only exclusive racing game for the PS4 (NFS:Rivals releases November 22). This leaves Sony with only 2 retail console exclusive games on day-one: Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall. This also could create a logistical issue as Driveclub was poised to be the first PS4 in the PS+ Instant Game Collection (free games). Knack and KZSF are possible replacements, but if the game is more than two months out, Sony will likely include more indie games to their PS+ offerings until Driveclub is good to go. There's also the possibility of a 3rd party retail game going free a la XOne's FIFA 14 pack-in in Europe. A sports game replacing a racing game isn't outlandish, but EA has a monopoly on most sports games launching day-one (save NBA Live 14 from 2K).

I just added Knack to my PS4 order the other day and was considering NFSR, but was going to wait to play Driveclub first. Watchdogs was a bummer, but I was pessimistic it would be intriguing enough, but Driveclub was a serious contender for me. It wasn't a sole reason, but it being on PS+ was a definite perk. Whether I get a PS4 day-one or in February when Second Son releases isn't much of an issue for me, but there are certainly a number of gamers who could put off a $400+ purchase until after Christmas. Sony has put up a big front on indie games and F2P games, but whether they can appear sustaining through 2014 will be tough as another AAA games drops from the lineup. 
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

I dropped the ps4 preorder. I'll wait until after launch for at least 5 of my wanted games to show up and then I'll consider the purchase.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Wasn't the PS+ version of Driveclub going to be an incomplete version, like the ones they did with GT (Prologue) ?
I could see them releasing the PS+ around launch, but still work on the retail/full version and postpone it's release.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

You know why the call it the xbox one ?
Because it can only handle one thing at a time.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

^ To go with that, there was a ton of Twitter heat from a few bigger "games journalists" (Sessler and Arthur Gies notably) spreading some very worrisome, ambiguous tweets. Sessler was opining that he may consider leaving the industry due to certain policies, but couldn't go into detail. Sony is holding a "Review Event" on the 14th right before the PS4 drops and Microsoft seems to be embargoing X1 reviews of next gen games longer than current gen and PS4 versions. Whether these are to contain pre-launch jitters of unstable OSes, spin "Resolutiongate," or simply bide hype is unknown, but CBOAT and others have said these aren't the worst pieces that will break yet.

Very rocky time. (also holy shit to the comments on that blog post. Some very serious hate right now)
Last edited by neshcom on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

This is literally nothing that hasn't happened with EVERY system launch. It's just now the internet allows people to scream about it.

And I don't see the big deal about limited launch coverage since there isn't shit out for either system at launch that isn't already coming out on previous gen systems.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

I was bored and craving a cutesy story to read since I have yet to scratch that itch and thus I bought another chapter/character in Voltage's cell game series. I know, I know. Check me into rehab, okay? :down:

Anyway, the game title is..........
Love Letter from Thief X

Now tell me, how can you not want to try something out with a title as ridiculous as that? That's the sort of title you hide in secrecy and hope no one goes through your phone and sees the app. So yes, you know with a cheesy title like that, you should get a cheesy story! I went with Takuto Hirukawa's route. Why? Because he's a tsundere cranky jerk that was fond of calling out the stupid shit the heroine did (to be honest, she's not nearly as stupid as your typical shoujo heroine) and I expected at least a couple of comedic moments.  And overall, I think he's one of the better written routes for a game like this. He's enough of an asshole to be entertaining without being infuriating/abusive, and the sweet moments are cavity inducing sweet. 

So, my craving has been satisfied. :goldunko:

Yes, I know the Phoenix Wright game is out. I'm waiting for payday to get it. :cryalot:
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

I've got my Vita and now I'm making the switch to PS4 next week, but I don't have any PSN friends since I've been on 360 for the last several years. Add me as a PSN friend, y'all! I go by Aurin13 on there.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Three days, you guys! I'm so excited. I've got a doctors appointment on Friday, so I can take the day off and just bask in the glory. I've got Knack, Killzone, and Need For Speed on the way with a camera. 

By the way, if you've missed it, you might still be able to catch Amazon or Target's B2G1 deal on PS4 games. Amazon managed to basically match Target's deal on just about any pre-ordered launch games. Rumor has it there will be a similar deal next weekend for the X1. That's how I ended up getting NFS.

Also, Apple started selling the iPad Mini Retinas today and I managed to snatch one online. Should be here early next week, but if things go fast, I could get it by Friday. I'm gonna trade my old one in to offset the price, but I get a month to send it in, so there'll be some time where I'm riding two iPads deep. Yeeeeeea.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

PS4 owners tip: BACK UP ALL YOUR SAVES ONLINE!!! Fucking games are prone to crashing and corrupting data when it happens. I lost 5 hours worth of BF4 on Friday.
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

Re: Ace Attorney 5

Overall: It is a great AA game, and I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the Phoenix games. I haven't read many reviews, but in a score aggregator I saw it mostly getting high marks, which I think are deserved/justified. It's a fun ride.
Ranking:

AA1=AA3>AA5>AA4>>>>>>AA2 (minus the last case, but while the last case is one of my favorites in the series, the boring stupid shit before it doesn't save it from being the worst in the series)

The plus: Everything is streamlined. I do miss the little bits of dialogue you'd get clicking random things in a scene, but investigations are really quick now that you can only click on certain things in the room.

Apollo's ability is not nearly as painful to use as it was during his game, but FUUUUCCCKKKKKKKK I still hate it. LET ME SCROLL ALL OVER A HUGE SPRITE TRYING TO FIND A MINOR TICK.

Athena's ability (the emotion matrix) is a little silly at first, but it grew on me and overall I find it a nice compliment to Apollo or Phoenix's abilities. And speaking of, the way each attorney's "special ability" compliments each other is nicely done in game. Switching protagonists for the different cases (but don't be too upset, Phoenix is still the one that gets top billing) was a nice change of pace. Also, there's a marked difference in how the characters percieve each other and how they feel when they do their internal monologues. For instance, Phoenix seems like a mature mentor to the other two, but when you play as him he's still the bumbling fool we grew to love. Apollo too, while he seems more "cocky", in his internal monologue he's still an insecure dork.

I was one of those "mah sprites!" people at first, but first of all, the cell shading is amazing. There are points where the 3D models resemble the sprites we loved from the DS games. Second of all, those animations, goddamn. They're fluid and creative. They used the upgrade to really go all out on the characters, which made things like the killer freakouts that much more entertaining. Also, watching everyone's classic sprites and looks updated in 3D, with fluid transitions to them, was hilarious. I found myself laughing at the models just as much as the sprites. Much love for the animators in this game.

Supporting cast notes: I enjoyed Simon Blackquill as the rival prosecutor in this game. I don't think he's better than the classic rivals from Phoenix's games, but I think he's a step up from Klavier. His tie in with the game's overall plot was nicely done as well. The new detective, Fulbright, was a little grating at first, but his quirky optimism grew on me. Overall, I enjoyed the fourth and fifth cases' cast more than the others. Though Junie's crush on Apollo was cute.
We got plenty of cameos of other characters from Phoenix's and Apollo's games.  Trucy was especially adorable in this game, but...she's in high school now, and she still acts a little childish. Her brief interactions with Phoenix and Apollo are fun though. And my...my glorious top three character returns in such a marvelous way, ah, the tears of happiness in my eyes!

dat twist in case five, dat tweest, my god that plot twist FACE MELTING CAN'T HANDLE IT

I did realize it a scene or two before the reveal, but it was still a HOLY SHIT I AM RIGHT WUT WUT WUT WUT moment when my suspicions are confirmed

The bad:
I was only stumped 4 times this game, meaning I only checked a guide four times. Three of those times were in the stupid case 3, where I just couldn't make those outlandish connections they want you to make, which is even more shameful because this game is easy. There's a ton of hand holding throughout the entire game. That is what I would mark off, because it didn't have the difficulty of the other games, and I finished it at 11 hours.

Most of the connections make sense, but in case three I felt like I was back to the "what the fuck planet does this make any sort of logical sense" troubles I had with some previous cases in the series. The last time was in a case where I knew what I needed, but I couldn't get the order of the evidence presented correctly. As for game overs, very few things give you penalties. When you use Apollo or Athena's abilities in court, missing the mark won't get you a penalty. It's not hard to mess up Apollo, but with Athena sometimes I found myself missing the mark.

Major spoiler complaint, do not read unless you want the last case surprises spoiled:
When Apollo goes rogue and accuses Athena of murdering Clay, I would have like him to get on the prosecutor's stand and gone head to head with Phoenix instead of the cross examination we got. I know Edgey was there, but I think it would have more impact (in addition to being in line with his more upfront character) to face off against Phoenix directly.

Case reviews:
1: standard tutorial case, does a well enough job of setting up Athena's skill
2: I wasn't too fond of this case overall, seeing as the killer was obvious, but the character design in this one was great.
3: I liked and disliked this case. I liked the setting, the overall mechanics of the murder (less Rube Goldburg machine, more red herrings), character animations/witnesses well enough, but man that dialogue ranked at bad anime for a good chunk of it.
4: Loved it~

5: Loved it~~~~~~~~~~~

So, final opinion: I think it is one of the best AA games. Play it!
Last edited by Melon on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Petit Melon" data-cid="166917" data-time="1384785875">Re: Ace Attorney 5</blockquote>
I am SO excited to play it, but fuck your shit Capcom, I ain't buying unless there is a physical release. This could have been a system-seller for me. Instead, right now I'm waiting for a functional 3DS emulator and a fan-translation of the second DLC which Capcom will also not release because hurf durf muh cultural differences. :geof: (I'm going by wikipedia on this one, perhaps things have changed since then)

I held a GS5 box in my hands in Japan. :cryalot:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Petit Melon" data-cid="166917" data-time="1384785875">I do miss the little bits of dialogue you'd get clicking random things in a scene, but investigations are really quick now that you can only click on certain things in the room.</blockquote>
Nooooo, that was my favourite way to waste time! :cryalot: I would click and re-click everything with autistic passion after completing important dialogues and revel in joy and sense of accomplishment at the tiny changes in description.
Last edited by aine on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Petit Melon" data-cid="166917" data-time="1384785875">
Re: Ace Attorney 5
</blockquote>

I am SO excited to play it, but fuck your shit Capcom, I ain't buying unless there is a physical release.

I held a GS5 box in my hands in Japan. :cryalot:

[/quote]

I understand that sentiment completely, but faced between something not likely to happen and not playing the game, I went for playing the game. Maybe it'll be like Duck Tales and eventually get a physical release, of which I'll have to double dip. :|

I also worry the digital only approach will make the games even more less likely to come over here. :down:

Capcom seems actively trying to piss off their fanbase nowadays. I don't get their business strategy at all.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Got some Playstation 4 impressions~

Resogun is easily one of the strongest launch titles and it's much more accessible than House Marque's previous Super Stardust HD. A lot of the learning in the game is from visual cues, not informational text, which could lead to confusion. Ideas like seekers, freeing and rescuing humans, and overdrive are great in execution, but muddled by ambiguity. Still, it's a solid game with very impressive graphics and an addictive gameplay.

Contrast, the other free PS+ game for the month (in lieu of the delayed Driveclub) couldn't be more the opposite of Resogun. It's rough, diluted, monotone, and completely devoid of motivation. The use of shadow mechanics is intriguing on paper, but the gameplay underneath is so ho-hum.

Knack has something going or it, and I think it's the sheer solidness of its execution, but that execution doesn't fix a lack of charm. If you look at games Cerny's previously consulted for (Crash, Jak and Daxter, Spyro), you can really pull a number of threads out of Knack that mirror these games: level design, enemy variety, use of color, use of character and narrative. But Knack is a stripping-down of those core ideas and worked into a very technically sound platform brawler, but it lacks frill. It's a clean game with rock solid fundamentals, but it doesn't take any chances and is content with being a little milquetoast. I've been playing on hard difficulty and the challenge has been refreshing. I don't usually see the enemies as unfair, but it does get frustrating dying and losing a little progress.

I've only had an hour or so with Killzone, but my first impression is that it's gorgeous, overacted, and the text is too damn small. I've only played a few hours of Killzone 2, but they recap the general idea of who is where and why, but I still got confused. I'll start over since my friend played a lot on my save, but it's a little too familiar with itself to be totally approachable. 

Speaking of shooters, Warframe is one of the free-to-play online games available. You play as a robot ninja and you fulfill various missions against the evil ghoul-nazis or something. It's a 3rd person shooter with a scary amount of customization, not enough explanation of the various combining, crafting, and equipment systems, and a distinct necessity of online teams. I played a mission in a 4-man team and we got through pretty quickly, but taking another solo took a lot more trouble. The gameplay is nice, but I just don't know how to get into it and, if you aren't already into Warframe from PC, you might not either.

Lastly, on a good note, there's a hidden gem in the very shallow pool of titles available: Super Motherload. The story is a little cliche (off-planet mining), but the gameplay is solid, the music is straight cool, and it's just damn fun. My big complaint is that I'm trying to beat the endgame, but if you die, you don't recover any money or items you used and you have to travel down to the location again. But beyond that inconvenience issue, you also have no idea what to do or why. None of the gameplay skills you've gotten about digging or smelting apply. Hopefully there's some soft of endless mode awaiting me on the other side of the endgame.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

DC Universe Online is also free to play on PS4 and just got an overhaul. It's pretty fun as far as action MMO games go.
Last edited by al kusanagi on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Usually I don't post just because of a stupid price tag, but what I just saw blew my mind.
To make this post not just a hatin' post, I have to say Rogue Legacy is pretty entertaining. While not strictly a 100% faithful rogue-like, it borrows many of the rogue-like traits and adds a few more gratifying features, that make it a nice "entry-level" rogue-like. Just be sure to have a good D-Pad for playing this game, because you'll be screaming at your 360 pad if you use one on the PC.
Linking the humble bundle store, because that's where I got it for 5€. And because it's new (in this dedicated form) and had some pretty good sales for the past 2~3 weeks. Not letting the user open up a dedicated window/tab for a specific game sucks, though.

Unfortunately the PC version of Deadly Premonition is trash in terms of resolution and costumization (but there is already a fan-mod by Durante, who also made the Dark Souls DSfix), so I'm going to wait for the winter sale and get it for a cheaper price.

Oh... the game that has an insane pricing tag ?
Baldur's Gate II enhanced edition, for 25$/23€.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

There's a Vita version of Rogue Legacy coming sometime soon. Can't wait!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Al Kusanagi"]
There's a Vita version of Rogue Legacy coming sometime soon. Can't wait!
[/quote]

Not just some handheld's version, but PS3/4 ports are also coming.
Since there aren't any mods afaik, the console version will probably be just as good as the PC version, but won't go down in price for some time.

@"Announced versions"; gonna play Mario 3D World with my friend on his Wii U next weekend. I am pretty hyped about that.
We played Pikmin 3 (which I won 7-6 in MP) and some other stuff, which was great fun, about three weeks ago.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

For PS3... Fuck. I guess it's fitting since Persona 4 was pretty much the game that sent out the PS2 at it's tail end.

Edit: And Persona Arena for PS4, and a chibi DS game, and OMGFUCKINGRISEIDOLSIMULATORFORVITA!!!
Last edited by al kusanagi on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Al Kusanagi"]
For PS3... Fuck. I guess it's fitting since Persona 4 was pretty much the game that sent out the PS2 at it's tail end.
[/quote]

Anything else wouldn't make any sense.
P3 didn't come out until shortly before the PS3 launched and P4 took another 2~3 years (depending on the region).
I wouldn't be surprised if P6 is on PS3 too.

The other stuff looks like garbage imo.
The Q thing might be ok, but it's on a handheld... ugh...
Last edited by Ap2000 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="aine"]
I need this game in my life right now
[/quote]

I'm getting an ICO/The last guardian vibe from the video.
ShiroiChanUK
こぶしファクトリー

Post by ShiroiChanUK »

My friends brother went to pick up his Xbox at the midnight launch and when he set it up right after he got home it crashed. The issue was resolved but then the very next day it completely broke down. I don't know if he's got a replacement yet or not but the thing is useless.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

So I'm at my parents, using my Vita to play Assassins Creed 4 on my PS4 which is in my apartment 3 hours away. Next gen is pretty awesome.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Eventhough PSN is a bit wonky right now in terms of the quality of free games, Amazon.com sells the US 1-year sub for only 30$, which is a great deal:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RMK5QG/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_vg_mx0pil
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Guys, check out the Humble Bundle that's up for the next two weeks:
https://www.humblebundle.com/

Best HB they ever had imho.
And there are even 2~3 more games being added later on !
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="167743" data-time="1386115847">Guys, check out the Humble Bundle that's up for the next two weeks:

And there are even 2~3 more games being added later on !</blockquote>
I didn't think it was that great. Or rather, I didn't find it interesting enough for myself. Though as always $4 for a bunch of well renowned games is a steal. I might bite after they reveal the extra 3 games later.

I read an article recently about the popularity of bundles (not linking since it's in Polish) and it showed a graph with sales numbers for Humble Bundle:

The massive spike in August this year was the EA bundle. Draw your own conclusions.

A friend dragged me into playing Aliens: Colonial Marines recently. Considering how it was universally trashed by reviewers and players alike, it's surprisingly fun to play. Apparently they did a lot of patching and improvements to it after release. For the €2.50 we got it for I can't complain. It's the first time I actually did co-op multiplayer complete with TeamSpeak and stuff and I gotta say it is enjoyable.
Last edited by aine on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
ShiroiChanUK
こぶしファクトリー

Post by ShiroiChanUK »

I'm in work but my account isn't working so I'm playing Doodle Jump lol
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="167743" data-time="1386115847">
Guys, check out the Humble Bundle that's up for the next two weeks:

And there are even 2~3 more games being added later on !
</blockquote>

I didn't think it was that great. Or rather, I didn't find it interesting enough for myself. Though as always $4 for a bunch of well renowned games is a steal. I might bite after they reveal the extra 3 games later.

I read an article recently about the popularity of bundles (not linking since it's in Polish) and it showed a graph with sales numbers for Humble Bundle:

The massive spike in August this year was the EA bundle. Draw your own conclusions.

[/quote]

It's full of "seems interesting, but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it, or maybe even be disappointed even if I only spent 2,50€" games. That's why I had none of the games yet, so it's a great deal. Paid 6$.

The EA bundle didn't interest me, but I got the THQ bundle, probably the second largest spike.