[2014.01.29] Morning Musume - Egao no Kimi wa Taiyou sa / Kimi no Kawari wa Iyashinai / What is LOVE? (single)

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

arcobaleno
ANGERME

Re: [2014.01.29] Morning Musume - Egao no Kimi wa Taiyou sa / Kimi no Kawari wa Iyashinai / What is LOVE? (single)

Post by arcobaleno »

I hope that it doesn't end up that way, but lumping this song in with two "promotional" songs seems kinda bad and might kill sales. If they were going to do anything with the Olympics song and What is LOVE?, maybe including them on an album, or demoting them to B-sides would've worked better instead of making them full blown A-sides.
Last edited by arcobaleno on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Re: [2014.01.29] Morning Musume - Egao no Kimi wa Taiyou sa / Kimi no Kawari wa Iyashinai / What is LOVE? (single)

Post by Anderei »

I thought this one was the Olympics song.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

I thought we talking about Egao no Kimi wa Taiyou sa? I didn't check the videos because I wait for full ones, and no one said it was the Olympic song.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

The Olympic one is Kimi ni Kawari.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Isn't that the one Mizuki said was mid-tempo? That seems weird for a 'cheer song'.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

No, she said Taiyou (this one) is mid-tempo.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

They placed the Egao PV today on Hello!Station. It's... very mid-tempo. It was fine, will be better done live I think because it lacked a lot of PUNCH.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Trinu
つばきファクトリー

Post by Trinu »

wow, that was... I dunno if I wanna say "bad". :s

The PV is neat, clean and nice to look at. 

But the song... *facepalm*
The instrumental is a sister of Wagamama, but then they sing "THAT" on top of it and it simply destroys it.
It feels as if Tsunku had the lyrics done way before he heard the music and then he crammed the verses however he could. The girls are just talking very fast at some points (and here I thought Only You was bad because of that...). Sorry, but this is a no-no-no for me.

Here's hoping the Olympic song is better. 
andrewmarlin
Juice=Juice

Post by andrewmarlin »

I like the clean look and all the lines moving around. I applaud UF for giving us a better translation this time. Maybe they hired someone? Then again, I think it should have been YOUR instead of YOU. Did anyone else notice that? Take it for granite though, I watched the video muted. Can't always have a pair of headphones around.  
Magical Source...Mystic Force!!!!
mrsross
モーニング娘。

Post by mrsross »

I'm kinda liking it. First listening to it, it sounded a bit messy but it started to sound better getting further into the song. I understand that they're trying to give us something different with a mid-tempo song and I respect that. 

P.S. Did Kanon get a solo?
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

I really like the song, but jeez, the timing of the lyrics feels weird. Like Trinu said, it's very squished. I wonder how much Tsunku relies on fans relistening and growing accustomed to strange rhythms like that? 

The music video is pure sex. The visual effects are superb, the dancing is cool, and the shot of Sayu during that drop near the end is insanely on-point. More forever please.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

Not too keen on the song (but then, this is the very first listen), but I absolutely love the video!

The effects are pulled off really nice and add to video instead of making people go "WTF SPARKLES" and every single girl looks ultra-gorgeous.
Trinu
つばきファクトリー

Post by Trinu »

Listened to it again and... nope. The melody is nice and it could be a good song, but WHY THE FAST TALKING?! They're not even singing at some points. T___T

*runs to listen to What is LOVE?*
pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

I love it!  Merry Christmas to me:)

The people who do C-ute's MVs did this one, it looks AMAZING.  The girls look incredibly beautiful and screen time is pretty reasonable.  I kinda love the sped up singing, it's different, and adds something to an otherwise lame set of lyrics.  My favorite part is the very beginning, we will rock you kinda.  I wish they had done more shots like the one where Riho is laying on her back.  Her and Ayumi's dance battle looked boss, but the rest of the choreo was recycled and dull.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I like it! I'm not a fan of the verses so much right now, but I know they'll grow on me. I especially like that they're doing something new with the song style!

After seeing the whole thing, I really like the PV and it made me smile the girls looked so cute an happy. The effects were pretty amazing, and I love that angle they did on Riho's at the end. Everyone also looked really pretty, especially Sakura in the close ups <3

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="iDOL1641" data-cid="168797" data-time="1387986268">
.S. Did Kanon get a solo?</blockquote>
I know what part you're talking about, no she didn't. Those were just a few girls singing at a time so their voices stood out. There were very few solo lines at all.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Haru
ANGERME

Post by Haru »

Eripon being the only one with pants looks hella lame.

I'm likin' this.
[11:13:35 PM] Liam: DO NOT LET JAPANESE IDOLS GET IN THE WAY OF THE *AMERICAN* DREAM
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

[quote="Saya"]
I like it! I'm not a fan of the verses so much right now, but I know they'll grow on me. I especially like that they're doing something new with the song style!

After seeing the whole thing, I really like the PV and it made me smile the girls looked so cute an happy. The effects were pretty amazing, and I love that angle they did on Riho's at the end. Everyone also looked really pretty, especially Sakura in the close ups <3

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="iDOL1641" data-cid="168797" data-time="1387986268">
.S. Did Kanon get a solo?
</blockquote>
I know what part you're talking about, no she didn't. Those were just a few girls singing at a time so their voices stood out. There were very few solo lines at all.

[/quote]

Are ya sure? Because I can clearly hear Kanon by herself right after Sakura's solo at 1:20
Haru
ANGERME

Post by Haru »

It sounds like a solo to me as well but it might be a case of a focus on her with background vocals. I'm sure we'll get a live soon.
[11:13:35 PM] Liam: DO NOT LET JAPANESE IDOLS GET IN THE WAY OF THE *AMERICAN* DREAM
sayu1991
こぶしファクトリー

Post by sayu1991 »

[quote="Haru"]
Eripon being the only one with pants looks hella lame.

I'm likin' this.
[/quote]

Haruna is wearing pants too. Both are wearing long pants and different shoes from everyone else. It's very strange that they have different shoes as well.

I like the video. It's sleek and different from MM's usual videos. Somehow it doesn't give the feeling of just another green screen pv. I actually really like that there are only a few solo lines and the vast majority of the song is sung by everyone. There are definitely parts of the song though that are way too fast. Not sure what happened there but it doesn't seem to fit. Either way I actually like the song.
Last edited by sayu1991 on Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mukuro
ANGERME

Post by Mukuro »

I love this song. It's already stuck in my head. Everyone looks really nice too!
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Good PV wasted on a weak single. This is b-side material.
bxstos
Kenshuusei

Post by bxstos »

The song itself isn't bad, but the lack of a climax or impact in the song, along with the fast singing-talking lines makes it harder for me to love it as much as I did with other MM songs.

As for the PV, I think it's one of the best PV's that has been made for MM in the past two or three years. It's clean, different, and the effects actually make sense and work with the dance. Everyone looks gorgeous (esp. Sayu) and it's the first time since PPU that I saw Zukki with her radiant smile. Everyone looks happy in the song and I can see that they're having a good time. The outfits are really nice and don't look horrendously cheap.

I would have preferred this song to be the second or third A-side and have the Olympic song be the main song.

Here's a LQ shot of the covers for each edition. Strange how the regular editions are totally different in style to the Limited Editions, but they are all decent from what I can see. I can't really say much more until there are HQ photos available.
Noa
ANGERME

Post by Noa »

I actually really love this, and I don't like What is Love at all. The video is bright and fun, everyone is style well. The song is charming and delightful and everyone's voices mesh nicely for a change. the choreography is nice but not overbearing, the group close ups are adorable. I really like it.
ImageImage
<p style="text-align:center;">我最爱你。你是我的太阳。
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

I like the video. The effects were great, although a tad distracting. The song will grow on me. They always do, I hated Help me!! at first. And the dance doesn't seem very formation to me. Perhaps it's just all the camera changes, but it seems all over the place.
Last edited by MejraThea on Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Haru" data-cid="168808" data-time="1387993436">
It sounds like a solo to me as well but it might be a case of a focus on her with background vocals. I'm sure we'll get a live soon.</blockquote>
Yes I think that might be that, or they're harmonizing. Because I saw another line in another verse where it sounded like Riho's had a solo but I could see Kanon singing behind her.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Pucchi-Mo
ANGERME

Post by Pucchi-Mo »

It starts out ok. After the intro, it sounds like the obligatory R&B song for their albums, but then the quick lyric parts kill the flow of the song. It all sounds like they are making it up as they go.

I was also expecting an Ayumi rap at some point. I think they're saving the other song because it'll be much better. I don't really mind this one, but it's just kind of irregular.
Delivering bad puns and deciphering 
Tsunku's madness for ten whole years!

You're welcome.  :thumbsup:
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

The verses feel really awkward, what with the lyric packing and all, but I really like the instrumental. And like neshcom, I think that shot of Sayu leading into the final chorus is just killer. Am I crazy, or can you actually hear her exhale as she smiles there? Whatever, it's one of the single greatest moments in any H!P video ever.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

This is a very weak song at the moment. It felt one dimensional and flat. But I won't give a full bad grade till I see it performed live. This sounds like a live song. Something that will pack more punch with a bunch of fans chanting and doing whatever it is they do. 

I do however like the outfits, green screen design and the camera angles. Those were some stellar camera angles. I like that they are starting to show off the dance more. There was still some screw ups in it though. I think Haruka was to blame with one that I saw.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

Liked the effects, but the dancing left a lot to be desired this time. And the lyrics did not fit the rhythm at all.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Profile shots with these outfits. Makes me think this'll be the main a-side they decide to promote:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of these shots look really awkward.