[2014.01.29] Morning Musume - Egao no Kimi wa Taiyou sa / Kimi no Kawari wa Iyashinai / What is LOVE? (single)

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

zlilzlilzlil
カントリー・ガールズ

Re: [2014.01.29] Morning Musume - Egao no Kimi wa Taiyou sa / Kimi no Kawari wa Iyashinai / What is LOVE? (single)

Post by zlilzlilzlil »

I get this loveable vibe from what is love, it's like a song from around 2001 to 2003 which is the era I love the most for morning musume...

egao no kimi wa taiyou sa on the other hand is really not that good, both song and dance (except for Mizuki's line which is amazing). on the other hand - the PV is really good.
And the worst part of this song is the guy speaking (not even singing) with the girls. I heard it with headphones and he was so loud I wanted to stop the song...

I can see this single selling around 120K... it will probably sell less then wagamama & ai no gundan...

My only wish for the a-sides from now on to be more solo based and not small groups. I would like to hear each of the girls voices (and more mizuki please!!)
and I must say, that masaki made a huge improvment!
Anderei
つんく♂

Re: [2014.01.29] Morning Musume - Egao no Kimi wa Taiyou sa / Kimi no Kawari wa Iyashinai / What is LOVE? (single)

Post by Anderei »

I don't know. They're doing 20 handshakes in just one day and I'm sure they plan to do more. They have a huge impact on their sales.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Pucchi mo" data-cid="169312" data-time="1388954069">
Also, What is Love? will have a dance shot version on the DVD, since the regular performance is a live concert, maybe they'll be in a different space for the dance shot...
</blockquote>

There were several shots on the stage from a separate recording that wasn't live with the crowd there. That's likely when the dance shot was made.
Banana
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Banana »

[quote="zlilzlilzlil"]
My only wish for the a-sides from now on to be more solo based and not small groups. 
[/quote]

Their songs are mostly group lines for a reason.  :smug:
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="zlilzlilzlil"]
My only wish for the a-sides from now on to be more solo based and not small groups. I would like to hear each of the girls voices (and more mizuki please!!)
and I must say, that masaki made a huge improvment!
[/quote]

Don't hold your breath. Singles are vehicles to promote the entire group, not individual members. 
Mugi
モーニング娘。

Post by Mugi »

They were able to do it in the past, I'm not sure why it's so hard for Tsunku to do it again.

Made by Haru!
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

But they're not trying to do that right now, right now MM is being really heavily pushed as a "group", especially the dancing, in the words of Yoshiko-sensei "these are dances that can't be done if even one person is missing."
rikako♡eripon♡airi
sayu1991
こぶしファクトリー

Post by sayu1991 »

[quote="Saya"]
But they're not trying to do that right now, right now MM is being really heavily pushed as a "group", especially the dancing, in the words of Yoshiko-sensei "these are dances that can't be done if even one person is missing."
[/quote]

Considering H!P's bad luck with the girls' health during the winter tour each year, this could be problematic.
Mugi
モーニング娘。

Post by Mugi »

[quote="Saya"]
[/quote]

Okay?  I can understand if a person is missing how that would mess up the dancing but what does that have to do with hearing the other girls sing?  Throwing them a line every now and then isn't gonna kill the group vibe.

Made by Haru!
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

[quote="Mugi"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Saya" data-cid="169340" data-time="1388978476">
<div>
[/quote]

Okay?  I can understand if a person is missing how that would mess up the dancing but what does that have to do with hearing the other girls sing?  Throwing them a line every now and then isn't gonna kill the group vibe.

</div>
</blockquote>
Becuase they dance so much, there aren't many solos to around anyways since they're mostly group lines, because it's harder to carry a solo when they doing such intense dances. And they aren't going to give solos to the least popular member when the song doesn't have that many. That's what B-sides and album songs are for.
I mean I totally get where you are coming from, but in terms of lines, it's more of a corporate matter of who they want to push+vocal ability. However vocal ability≠pushed.
Last edited by momoirosaya on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

A little cross promo for single/concert but just features Morning Musume so it goes here. Watch it, it's super cute.

I wonder if those are concert outfits or single outfits?
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
A little cross promo for single/concert but just features Morning Musume so it goes here. Watch it, it's super cute.

[/quote]

Those are used in three of the single covers, so I assume they are for the Olympic song.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Those outfits aren't on the covers. (The silver ones with the capes.) The other outfits are the green and black ones on the covers. 
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]

[/quote]
I'd be like Sayumi and want no part of that.
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Shoujo Q" data-cid="169372" data-time="1389037130">
Those outfits aren't on the covers. (The silver ones with the capes.) The other outfits are the green and black ones on the covers.</blockquote>

My guess is that they're concert outfits.
pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

[quote="Anderei"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Shoujo Q" data-cid="169372" data-time="1389037130">
Those outfits aren't on the covers. (The silver ones with the capes.) The other outfits are the green and black ones on the covers.
</blockquote>

My guess is that they're concert outfits.

[/quote]

Concert outfits have been either full of win or awful recently.  My vote is for concert, goes with the recent strain.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

In the event any bbs-ers are going to be in Japan/live in Japan, the details for the 1/13 handshakes are up. I'm not going to link to them all individually because it's 20 handshake events and 20 separate links would just be crazy.

Billboards using the other songs outfits:

So, which single is the one they're trying to promote? Egao is what they're using for profiles and what's being performed at the concert. Kimi no Kawari is being used for the billboards but according to Sayumi, won't get a performance until 1/20, which is after a lot of the promo they've already lined up.

They're going to be on Music Dragon on the 17th. If the thing about Kimi no Kawari is right, I guess they'll be performing Egao.
Last edited by Anderei on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

That would seem to indicate that they see Egao as the main song on this release, which is slightly disappointing. I figured they were holding Kimi no Kawari back to give it the most exposure during the main promotional push, ala "Joke." But if they're not, why release Egao so soon before they start promoting the single in earnest? I'm not sure what to think, honestly.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I can only assume that it's being pushed back so that it's closer to the Olympics. The single will already be out before it even starts, though. I think they probably should have released the single back a bit further because the singles always lose a lot of selling power after the first week.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Seems to me they want staying power with this single instead of a flash in the pan single like most of H!P releases.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

That would be good for them. Their sales have gone up, but their chart longevity hasn't.
pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

If this Olympics song gets half the air time that Phillip Phillip's did here for the 2012 Olympics, it's going to be incredibly for MM's exposure.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Here's a live performance of Egao no Kimi from the newest Hello!Station.

It doesn't work at all as a concert song to be honest. I don't see any longevity in this song what so ever.

The fast singing bits ruin it for me. But when they get into the egao part, it works. Talk about a disjointed song.
Last edited by Shoujo Q on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
Here's a live performance of Egao no Kimi from the newest Hello!Station.

It doesn't work at all as a concert song to be honest. I don't see any longevity in this song what so ever.

The fast singing bits ruin it for me. But when they get into the egao part, it works. Talk about a disjointed song.
[/quote]

WHAT IS LOVE is definitely made for live, this song, definitely not.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Shoujo Q" data-cid="169500" data-time="1389183176"><a class="bbc_url" href="http://youtu.be/k_gAQR6uLrc?t=9m20s">Here's</a> a live performance of Egao no Kimi from the newest Hello!Station.

The fast singing bits ruin it for me. But when they get into the egao part, it works. Talk about a disjointed song.</blockquote>

You say that but they've been sticking hard to making sure they perform almost all recent stuff at concerts. We'll be getting Egao performances for about three years straight, you watch.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

[quote="pandapanda"]
WHAT IS LOVE is definitely made for live, this song, definitely not.
[/quote]

I totally agree. I hope the last one will be made for live too...

Campy <3 !
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

I agree with you all, this song is not good as a concert song. The climax of this song is Sayu's shot, and, obviously, we can't see it live.
Btw, why is everyone in Youtube saying that Sato was crying during the performance? "But Ayumi looked a bit worried when she was looking at her at 10:32, and so did Duu at 12:40 :("
Image Hey
rallyleo
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by rallyleo »

[quote="Derby"]
I agree with you all, this song is not good as a concert song. The climax of this song is Sayu's shot, and, obviously, we can't see it live.
Btw, why is everyone in Youtube saying that Sato was crying during the performance? "But Ayumi looked a bit worried when she was looking at her at 10:32, and so did Duu at 12:40 :("
[/quote]

They have great eyes! I never would have noticed if I wasn't watching her.
Poor thing. She really looked hurt. But I applaud her professionalism - she did that dance with as much effort as the other girls.
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

Why was she crying though?!
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

We're already having the discussion in the Hello Station thread. If you notice, her shirt clasp is broken and she's struggling with it during the performance. Most likely she broke it and got scolded os she's worrying about getting yelled at about it after the performance.
Last edited by al kusanagi on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!