What type of H!P Fan are you?

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

MejraThea
ANGERME

Re: What type of H!P Fan are you?

Post by MejraThea »

Oh, I know I said it with an English lilt to it, but I was trying to say it in a way an English speaker can say it. Doing a Japanese one too is just.
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

[quote="Madara"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Saya" data-cid="160409" data-time="1376505159">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="160407" data-time="1376504244">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="yuzuriha" data-cid="160376" data-time="1376452530">
<div>
Yeah, same. Which is how I came up with it!
[/quote]

Then why don't you guys share all your "language/cultural" knowledge with us whenever a new song/show/article comes out? What's the point of developing that expertise if you don't share it?
Unless there's another thread or forum I'm missing just for that.

</div>
</blockquote>

Umm, blog project & project hello? We do romanize and translate a LOT of stuff here!

</div>
</blockquote>

My apologies to you and Yuzuriha. I don't check out those threads very often.  

(I was thinking more along the lines of detailed essays on the cultural meanings of the lyrics and images in PV's, e.g., the significance of that "crabbing" move in "Renai Hunter"? :headscratch: )

</div>
</blockquote>
Some say Japanese "Traditional" culture as we know it really crystallized in the Edo era, especially towards the latter end.  Due to the Tokugawa bakufu's political restructuring of society, common entertainers were relegated to the lowest rung of society and often associated with prostitution and so on. High ranking kabuki players and geisha were still seen as social outsiders too - people on the edges of the profane world.  Yoshimi Shunya writes about this frequently in his analysis of sakariba, in which religious regions like local shrines were simultaneously linked to carnivalesque deviance, prostitution, etc via and in conjunction with matsuri.  In other words, we might argue that this deeply symbolic "Crabbing" movement in Renai Hunter alludes to sexual deviance (love hunter) via a bizarre, inhuman movement - as though they were kinds of yokai seeking out men.*

*This is utter and complete bullshit.  I absolutely hate culturalist arguments explaining very simple and basic facts about contemporary culture-- in this case, I'm pretty certain H!P just has a shit choreographer and most of those girls are not very good dancers. Not everything has deep, symbolic, historical ties just because it happens to be "Japan."  Oh yeah, and in this case, it makes much more sense to ask someone who understand dance, choreography, and the basic concept of story-telling through movement. 

Also, people who translate for the blogs and lyrics look up cultural references all the time. <a href="http://mm-bbs.org/index.php?app=forums& ... ">Hanasaka Jii-san from Maji Desuka</a> off the top of my head. 

Last edited by eri on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

Hahahaha that was great.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

What an argument.
Formerly Mizura
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="eri"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="160510" data-time="1376577537">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Saya" data-cid="160409" data-time="1376505159">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="160407" data-time="1376504244">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="yuzuriha" data-cid="160376" data-time="1376452530">
<div>
Yeah, same. Which is how I came up with it!
[/quote]

Then why don't you guys share all your "language/cultural" knowledge with us whenever a new song/show/article comes out? What's the point of developing that expertise if you don't share it?
Unless there's another thread or forum I'm missing just for that.

</div>
</blockquote>

Umm, blog project & project hello? We do romanize and translate a LOT of stuff here!

</div>
</blockquote>

My apologies to you and Yuzuriha. I don't check out those threads very often.  

(I was thinking more along the lines of detailed essays on the cultural meanings of the lyrics and images in PV's, e.g., the significance of that "crabbing" move in "Renai Hunter"? :headscratch: )

</div>
</blockquote>
Some say Japanese "Traditional" culture as we know it really crystallized in the Edo era, especially towards the latter end.  Due to the Tokugawa bakufu's political restructuring of society, common entertainers were relegated to the lowest rung of society and often associated with prostitution and so on. High ranking kabuki players and geisha were still seen as social outsiders too - people on the edges of the profane world.  Yoshimi Shunya writes about this frequently in his analysis of sakariba, in which religious regions like local shrines were simultaneously linked to carnivalesque deviance, prostitution, etc via and in conjunction with matsuri.  In other words, we might argue that this deeply symbolic "Crabbing" movement in Renai Hunter alludes to sexual deviance (love hunter) via a bizarre, inhuman movement - as though they were kinds of yokai seeking out men.*

*This is utter and complete bullshit.  I absolutely hate culturalist arguments explaining very simple and basic facts about contemporary culture-- in this case, I'm pretty certain H!P just has a shit choreographer and most of those girls are not very good dancers. Not everything has deep, symbolic, historical ties just because it happens to be "Japan."  Oh yeah, and in this case, it makes much more sense to ask someone who understand dance, choreography, and the basic concept of story-telling through movement. 

Also, people who translate for the blogs and lyrics look up cultural references all the time. <a href="http://mm-bbs.org/index.php?app=forums& ... ">Hanasaka Jii-san from Maji Desuka</a> off the top of my head. 

</div>
</blockquote>

Ouch. (Eri can sure be hurtful at times.)

I was just kidding

(Where's the emoticon for: "Why can't I just learn not to hit the 'add reply' button?" Is this it? :doh: )
Last edited by Madara on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

I could tell you were at least half-joking, Madara. :lol: But it's probably sad that I really enjoyed Eri's post anyway, from an ooh knowledge standpoint.
GenericUsername
Kenshuusei

Post by GenericUsername »

<div>Hi! Girl from the video here! Just popping in (a little late) to apologize for my dreadful pronunciation! Obviously, Japanese linguistics are a skill I lack, mainly because I rarely say any Japanese words out loud. I do mostly reading. Hell, I even mispronounce English words sometimes! There's also my heavy American accent which... does not mix well with many languages. When I did the video, I was faced with quite the dilemma: attempt correct pronunciation and botch it miserably or just forget trying to sound correct and do the video. This video really wasn't something I was trying to put a lot of effort into, and I definitely wasn't expecting so many people to see it. Had I known that, then maybe I would have put a little more effort into not botching the pronunciations so severely and not half-assing this video in general...</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I really am sorry if it caused any pain or broken eardrums! Again, this really wasn't something a lot of people were supposed to see. Which is also why Perfume's Communication instrumental is playing over it. I just really like Perfume.</div>
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

^Your video was funny! I think we all enjoyed it here, no need to apologize!
rikako♡eripon♡airi
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="GenericUsername"]

<div>Hi! Girl from the video here! Just popping in (a little late) to apologize for my dreadful pronunciation! Obviously, Japanese linguistics are a skill I lack, mainly because I rarely say any Japanese words out loud. I do mostly reading. Hell, I even mispronounce English words sometimes! There's also my heavy American accent which... does not mix well with many languages. When I did the video, I was faced with quite the dilemma: attempt correct pronunciation and botch it miserably or just forget trying to sound correct and do the video. This video really wasn't something I was trying to put a lot of effort into, and I definitely wasn't expecting so many people to see it. Had I known that, then maybe I would have put a little more effort into not botching the pronunciations so severely and not half-assing this video in general...</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I really am sorry if it caused any pain or broken eardrums! Again, this really wasn't something a lot of people were supposed to see. Which is also why Perfume's Communication instrumental is playing over it. I just really like Perfume.</div>

[/quote]

Liking Perfume is nothing to apologize for.

I hadn't watched the video until now, and I apparently found it less annoying than many here  :excited:. I guess I don't expect Americans to have perfect Japanese pronunciation any more than I expect Japanese people to have perfect English pronunciation. Cute vid, though. I suppose I'm the Old Fan.
AurA
こぶしファクトリー

Post by AurA »

I love that video, I'm going to watch it again...

Great to hear from you on this board, it's like having a celebrity post something.
Last edited by AurA on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="GenericUsername" data-cid="170354" data-time="1390359138">Hi! Girl from the video here! Just popping in (a little late) to apologize for my dreadful pronunciation! Obviously, Japanese linguistics are a skill I lack, mainly because I rarely say any Japanese words out loud. I do mostly reading. Hell, I even mispronounce English words sometimes! There's also my heavy American accent which... does not mix well with many languages. When I did the video, I was faced with quite the dilemma: attempt correct pronunciation and botch it miserably or just forget trying to sound correct and do the video. This video really wasn't something I was trying to put a lot of effort into, and I definitely wasn't expecting so many people to see it. Had I known that, then maybe I would have put a little more effort into not botching the pronunciations so severely and not half-assing this video in general...

I really am sorry if it caused any pain or broken eardrums! Again, this really wasn't something a lot of people were supposed to see. Which is also why Perfume's Communication instrumental is playing over it. I just really like Perfume.</blockquote>
Nothing to apologize for, you did it just for fun. I'm sure everyone realizes that regardless how harsh their opinion may be.

I'll give your video another chance later after work, if only because I respect how you came here to post and stand up for yourself. :thumbsup:

And last but not least, welcome to the MM-BBS! Feel free to stick around, post, and become part of the community. If you want you should be able to change your display name yourself, or PM me if you need help.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Well, since it came up about half a year ago, here's a good site for listening to pronunciation:
http://de.forvo.com/languages/ja/

But be aware that inside Japan there are many different ways word are emphasized, depending on where you're from. An easy example would be good old 娘:
http://de.forvo.com/word/%E5%A8%98/#ja
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

I know this post was already dead but omg

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
New Fan coming from YouTube - Why did Kamei Eri leave!? She was amazing!
[/quote]

This is so true, I discovered MM through Youtube (GakiKame theatre) and I also loved that girl :_ I hated the graduation system because I liked almost all of the Platinum Era members but when I became interested in learning more about the group I realized that almost all of them were gone :(
Image Hey
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

^

Story. of. my. life.
sayu1991
こぶしファクトリー

Post by sayu1991 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Derby" data-cid="170396" data-time="1390426762">
I know this post was already dead but omg
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Shoujo Q" data-cid="160159" data-time="1376223337">
New Fan coming from YouTube - Why did Kamei Eri leave!? She was amazing!</blockquote>

This is so true, I discovered MM through Youtube (GakiKame theatre) and I also loved that girl :_ I hated the graduation system because I liked almost all of the Platinum Era members but when I became interested in learning more about the group I realized that almost all of them were gone :(</blockquote>

Imagine becoming interested in the golden era only to discover that you were years too late and it was the platinum era. I was seriously confused when I discovered the group around 2008. I did end up falling in love with the platinum era though and was sad when they started graduating. This current line up has made MM feel like a completely new group to me and I'm not saying that as a bad thing.

As for what kind of H!P fan I am.... I'm afraid I'm a little of almost all of them thrown together.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I'm definitely the MM fan that came from KiraRevo. I will always love Koha <3
Although I got into C-ute and Berryz from Shugo Chara! because of Buono!.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

[quote="Sayu"]
Imagine becoming interested in the golden era only to discover that you were years too late and it was the platinum era. I was seriously confused when I discovered the group around 2008. I did end up falling in love with the platinum era though and was sad when they started graduating. This current line up has made MM feel like a completely new group to me and I'm not saying that as a bad thing.

As for what kind of H!P fan I am.... I'm afraid I'm a little of almost all of them thrown together.[/quote]

Ikr. But, just like Junjun said to Koharu once "I thought "Why do you have to graduate?" but is thanks to the grad. system that Junjun was able to join MM"

Even when everyone hated to see their beloved members graduating, it's thanks to this that we have seen a lot of great girls and that's why MM is still alive. I wonder how I will face my first graduation being a fan :(
Image Hey
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

[quote="Derby"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Sayu" data-cid="170409" data-time="1390443345">
<div>

As for what kind of H!P fan I am.... I'm afraid I'm a little of almost all of them thrown together.[/quote]

Ikr. But, just like Junjun said to Koharu once "I thought "Why do you have to graduate?" but is thanks to the grad. system that Junjun was able to join MM"

Even when everyone hated to see their beloved members graduating, it's thanks to this that we have seen a lot of great girls and that's why MM is still alive. I wonder how I will face my first graduation being a fan :(

</div>
</blockquote>
Oh wow Derby! You must be really new since Reina just graduated less than a year ago.

I feel you Sayu, I got in around 2007-2008 platinum era as well. I watched so much Hello! Morning and Utaban, that even though they had been long graduated, I still became a fan of the older members. And this MM feels so different to me because of the 4 years where they didn't add any members. There was 9 person MM for a long time, then Koharu left, but they still didn't add anymore, so even though I knew MM had that kind of system and I was excited, it felt weird when 3 girls left, and 4 new ones came in, and so on and so forth. (I still love them though! It's a great line-up!)

Last edited by momoirosaya on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

As an old timer who discovered MM when RR21 was their current single, I've experienced both the constant turnover and long periods of continuity, and I'll take the constant turnover every time. I think that, by and large, a group like this probably should not go any longer than two full calender years at the very most without some turnover in membership. Of course, this is predicated on the idea that those who graduate will be replaced by girls who can bring it, which is never a certainty.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

^^ Yes, I am. 1 year ago I discovered the group, but since just Reina and Sayu were the only remaining members and I liked GakiKame the most, I wasn't curious about the current MM (I thought they were too young). Then in April I listen to the newer singles and I liked them. When I became a fan Reina was already gone so I didn't count her nor I wasn't really sad although I really like her.
Image Hey
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

I guess I find it more interesting that, even with Jpope and Derby's polar opposite sides of the spectrum, neither care about graduations, but I, smack in the middle, hate them.

I mean, I get it. They do definitely bring in great girls only because others graduate. The group would just be entirely too chaotic and enormous without graduations, and the constant change really does keep it fresh and interesting. There are so many perks to it, but ugh I'm just so sad every time someone graduates. Except Koharu. I was so happy to see her leave, but everyone else has been sad. I came in riiight after Yossi's graduation, so I guess I've seen a few now but I still feel like a newby to it every time it happens.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Sayu" data-cid="170409" data-time="1390443345">Imagine becoming interested in the golden era only to discover that you were years too late and it was the platinum era. I was seriously confused when I discovered the group around 2008. I did end up falling in love with the platinum era though and was sad when they started graduating. This current line up has made MM feel like a completely new group to me and I'm not saying that as a bad thing.

As for what kind of H!P fan I am.... I'm afraid I'm a little of almost all of them thrown together.</blockquote>
I just never cared about the "... era" terms, since I think they're stupid and ambiguous.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

[quote="JPope"]
As an old timer who discovered MM when RR21 was their current single, I've experienced both the constant turnover and long periods of continuity, and I'll take the constant turnover every time. I think that, by and large, a group like this probably should not go any longer than two full calender years at the very most without some turnover in membership. Of course, this is predicated on the idea that those who graduate will be replaced by girls who can bring it, which is never a certainty.
[/quote]

Thank you.  Because I was starting to feel really old.  But you came in a single ahead of me.

GRADUATIONS DEVASTATE ME.

Except Reina's, then it was like HALLELUJAH FINALLY and I think I literally celebrated that night with bubbly.

/edit Oh yeah, and Koharu's.  I forgot she existed for a moment.  

BUT even Aika's made me sad because of the situation surrounding it.
Last edited by yuzuriha on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaori • Risako 

star
ANGERME

Post by star »

I joined the MM fandom right around the time that 10th gen joined. So I've been around for Gaki, Aika, and Reina's graduations. When Gaki and Aika graduated, I wasn't that strong of a fan yet, so it didn't bother me, but when Reina graduated, I was crushed!

I joined the MM fandom right around the time that 10th gen joined. So I've been around for Gaki, Aika, and Reina's graduations. When Gaki and Aika graduated, I wasn't that strong of a fan yet, so it didn't bother me, but when Reina graduated, I was crushed!
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

[quote="Star"]

[/quote]

I joined the fandom with the 9th gen, and when Ai graduated, it crushed me. 
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I became a fan just a few months after Koharu joined but I didn't find out about her for weeks because I was preoccupied with the older concerts I had found at the Japanese video stores I patronized. So I saw Nacchi's graduation first (quite an experience to start out on) followed by Yuko's graduation later in the week. According to my records, the very next graduation I saw was four months later when I picked up Maki's graduation concert. But in between that time I discovered Hello! Morning episodes and finally got to see Koharu that way. 
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

Maki's graduation was the first one I saw.  Oh my lord I cried like a little baby.  Kei's was next.  I actually don't think I went back and watched the grad concerts of the girls who left before I became a fan, but since I loved all the girls before Reina I'm sure I would be devastated when I watched any of them.
Kaori • Risako 

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

This became a "when did you get into MM ?" thread now ? haha

The first single I knowingly followed because it was MM was Go girl koi no victory. I came across MM for the first time in 2002 probably, when I was starting to watch other Japanese media with comedic value like variety shows. I still strongly believe that the Mechaike Okajo and Bakajo specials are the best things that H!P was ever involved in.
At that time girls were more like a big blob of cute to me, though. I had a hard time differentiating between generations and who came when (tbh, I still do).
Last edited by Ap2000 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="yuzu"]
Maki's graduation was the first one I saw.  Oh my lord I cried like a little baby.  Kei's was next.  I actually don't think I went back and watched the grad concerts of the girls who left before I became a fan, but since I loved all the girls before Reina I'm sure I would be devastated when I watched any of them.
[/quote]

The Aibon/Nono graduation in the Summer 2004 concert was the most devastating to me. I finally saw it in the Summer of 2007, three years after the fact and six months after Aibon had been permanently expelled, so I just lost it. I even posted an angry, tearful rant about the way Aibon was treated by UFA in a thread here about her diary or something. It still calls up strong emotions. At that point, I bought up every W PV and every MM PV in which she was a member, so I could acquire whatever footage of Aibon that was available in the Making of segments and such. 
Last edited by Madara on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I think I never saw a graduation concert.
Or maybe one, but I don't remember it.
I never got emotional about a graduation, even if I really like JunJun.