What are you playing?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Re: What are you playing?

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I'm actually in the same place as you on Layton. The fourth game (Last Specter in the U.S.) is still a regular DS game.
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

I recebtly bought a 3DS specifically for Harvest Moon and I'm catching up with Story of Seasons now. I still need to get A New Beginning.
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

[quote="JoshuaJSlone"]
I'm actually in the same place as you on Layton. The fourth game (Last Specter in the U.S.) is still a regular DS game.
[/quote]
I didn't realize that. I'll probably get it eventually, but if the game ends on a cliffhanger, it'll be an agonizing wait for the next one.
Formerly Mizura
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I'm going to bet it just ends with an insanely implausible explanation for strange goings on, like the other ones.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I heard there was a massive cliffhanger at the end of #5. I remember hearing people complaining that Europe and Japan would get #6 a few months earlier and how they wanted to know what would happen. 
Formerly Mizura
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I just finished playing with an Occulus Rift. I don't have one, someone my Dad knows does. It was basically just two demos but I'm sold. It'll be interesting to see how the technology improves in the coming years and how it will be implemented into games.
Formerly Mizura
Mariko
Kenshuusei

Post by Mariko »

I've been on a Sims 2 binge on the computer, alternating with bouts of Hello! Pro Tap Live, Love Live School Idol Festival, and Sailor Moon Drops on my phone. I think I have a liiiiiittle problem with mobile games.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Mizura" data-cid="192080" data-time="1445210876">I just finished playing with an Occulus Rift. I don't have one, someone my Dad knows does. It was basically just two demos but I'm sold. It'll be interesting to see how the technology improves in the coming years and how it will be implemented into games.</blockquote>
I'm also interested in the new VR headsets, but I would never buy the facebook one.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I'm no big fan of Facebook, but in this case if they want their billions to go toward a company doing good things and don't seem to be making any obvious negative changes to their direction, I guess I can be on board with that. Oculus isn't the only game in town any more, but they're still the ones who seem to be setting most of the standards for others to follow.

Which demos did you try out, Mizura? I haven't tried out much of anything new lately. They're currently in a period of heavy driver revision, and only guaranteeing things from one version back will work properly. So go to 0.7, and a bunch of unupdated stuff made for 0.5 stops working. Kind of a mess until they hit 1.0 when everything should be safe to work from then on.
Last edited by JoshuaJSlone on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I only got the opportunity to try out two. One of them was this demo of this house and yard in Siciliy that you could walk and look around in that apparently is the official Occulus demo. The other one was this automatic one in French called Birdy Escape (or something) that basically had you riding in the passenger car of this motorcycle of this strange creature that was basically a rapid/crazy chase after this bird that had stolen it's hamburger.
Formerly Mizura
Mariko
Kenshuusei

Post by Mariko »

Anyone else play Hello! Pro Tap Live, or Love Live?
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

[quote="Mariko"]
Anyone else play Hello! Pro Tap Live, or Love Live?
[/quote]

I wish I could play HP Tap Live, but last time I checked it's not on the American app store, and I don't want to go through the trouble of getting another account just to download one thing.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Mariko
Kenshuusei

Post by Mariko »

I downloaded QooApp and got it on my Android device. It updates itself without any interference, it seems. (Pretty regularly, actually... My favorite thing is to try to play it on my lunch break only to realize there's been a 115MB update released :T)
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I played Love Live for a while, but my phone has little enough storage built in that eventually it just became impossible to install the latest update, so I had to ditch it.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I don't have an Android device so getting the QooApp is next to impossible. If it is available on iPhone I still doubt I'd be allowed to download it.
Formerly Mizura
phancy
Kenshuusei

Post by phancy »

I play H!P Tap on my tablet sometimes. I used to waste my life on LLSIF, but I have the same problem as JoshuaJSlone.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

I used to play both but HP Tap look so cheap compare to TIF that I stopped HP Tap. And I stopped TIF when I ran out of spots for idols (had to feed other idols after each game and it started to get on my nerves).
Campy <3 !
Mariko
Kenshuusei

Post by Mariko »

What's TIF? Is this something I need to start playing, too? (hello rhythm games goodbye life)
phancy
Kenshuusei

Post by phancy »

[quote="Mariko"]
What's TIF? Is this something I need to start playing, too? (hello rhythm games goodbye life)
[/quote]

There's also Idolm@ster if you need more games :ph34r:

Mariko
Kenshuusei

Post by Mariko »

Goodbye sleep while I'm at it!!
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

I think Meikochi might've meant SIF/School Idol Festival, which is just Love Live, but made a small typo.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

[quote="arcobaleno"]
I think Meikochi might've meant SIF/School Idol Festival, which is just Love Live, but made a small typo.
[/quote]

Thank you Arco !

Campy <3 !
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Been putting time into two games lately:

Xenoblade Chronicles. I got this game when it first released in North America in 2012, and enjoy it a lot... I just trailed off after several dozen hours. Later I picked it up and resumed for a few more dozen hours, but it's a pretty long game so even that wasn't enough. Now the sequel is coming out in a few weeks, so I'm hoping to at least beat it by then. There's a ton of optional high level content I don't have the heart for, though.

Fallout: New Vegas. Been on my to-play list for a long time, but the Fallout 4 hype finally pushed me into it. I know this one was largely made by an outside company (including some people who worked on the earlier Fallouts), but I'm a sucker for the Bethesda open-world formula.

Something else playing these games alongside each other has made me notice. They were originally released around the same time, though Xenoblade was designed for much weaker hardware. However, thanks to Dolphin enabling high resolution, fan-made texture replacement packs, and lack of everything looking like brown desert, it's the much nicer game to look at now.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

Xenoblade chronicles is awesome. I beat it last April and I'm working on beating it again before the sequel is released. I've done a majority of the quests but I haven't done a lot of the higher level stuff either. The soundtrack is awesome as well. Where are you in the game?
Formerly Mizura
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

As of yesterday I reached the point of no return on Prison Island, so I should be finishing today. I took so long playing this, Jenna Coleman spent more years as a voice actor in my save file than she did as a companion on Doctor Who.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

I picked up guitar Hero Live on Black Friday. I really like the new guitar design and I love how there's no DLC.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Not exactly what I'm playing lately, but a game to be released imminently I'm looking forward to playing is <a class="bbc_url" href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/225540/">Just Cause 3</a>. I first played <a class="bbc_url" href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/8190/">Just Cause 2</a> about 4 years ago and fell in love with it. I'm a sucker for large maps to explore in games, so JC2's 1000 square kilometers (or 400 square miles) is pretty great--though yeah, a fair amount of that is ocean. I'm usually more of an RPG man than an action man, but after a bit of learning curve at the beginning it became great fun to hookshot and parachute my way around the island, hijacking helicopters in mid-air, and blowing up everything in sight. It regularly (including during the current Steam sale) goes to under $4, so I've made a habit of gifting copies and/or pestering people to spend their $4 on something cool.

EDIT: And when I didn't have somebody to gift to at the moment I'd stick a copy in my inventory so checking now I've got like uhhh half a dozen copies banked.
Last edited by JoshuaJSlone on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShiroiChanUK
こぶしファクトリー

Post by ShiroiChanUK »

Thinking about buying Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound on the Wii U VC, anyone played those? :)

[quote="Mizura"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JoshuaJSlone" data-cid="191838" data-time="1444286675">
<div>
[/quote]
I didn't realize that. I'll probably get it eventually, but if the game ends on a cliffhanger, it'll be an agonizing wait for the next one.

</div>
</blockquote>
Don't worry there's no cliffhanger ^-^ Spectre's Call is actually my favourite in the series so far :)
[quote="JoshuaJSlone"]
I'm going to bet it just ends with an insanely implausible explanation for strange goings on, like the other ones.
[/quote]
Well of course, this is Layton after all ^-^
[quote="Mizura"]
I heard there was a massive cliffhanger at the end of #5. I remember hearing people complaining that Europe and Japan would get #6 a few months earlier and how they wanted to know what would happen. 
[/quote]
I'm still playing Miracle Mask but from what I've heard about the next and final game Azran Legacy I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. According to a friend of my who's a huge Layton fan Azran Legacy is very much to do with Layton on a more personal level. Azran is actually mentioned on occasion during Miracle Mask. Not telling you why though ^-^
Last edited by ShiroiChanUK on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I've played both, but only on emulators. I played the original with a patch that had an item called the easy ring (upped the exp you get from enemies because the amount of grinding is RIDONKULOUS). The encounter rate in the first one is off the fucking charts and it's honestly frustrating at times. Wholeheartedly recommend Earthbound, though.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Above I gushed about Just Cause 2 a bit. I have been playing Just Cause 3 and enjoying it a lot--if you want you can see <a class="bbc_url" href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/JoshuaJSlo ... gewall">my screenshots</a>, though looking up some random video on YouTube might be more informative and exciting.

But what I really wanted to share was some new hardware. I recently obtained <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_219480.html">this tablet</a>. GIven it's some crazy Chinese brand I didn't know how much to trust it, but for that price I was willing to give it a risk--a tablet with more than HD resolution and the ability to run Windows programs is pretty cool. I got it and am mostly satisfied. In Windows mode the wi-fi is unfortunately pretty flaky and seems to cut out pretty often. Other than that, pretty happy.

I was expecting as far as games it might be good for some old emulators, visual novels, things like that. But testing various things I was pretty surprised to find even Fallout New Vegas ran at a playable frame rate at low settings at 720p (full 1920x1200 very sharp, but very choppy and sluggish). Using an adapter I was able to plug in my Xbox 360 controller, but 1) that's not a very portable solution and 2) with something else using the USB port it can't be plugged in and eats the battery up in a couple hours. I went looking for a decent Bluetooth controller, and ended up attracted to <a class="bbc_url" href="http://8bitdo.com/nes30pro/">8Bitdo's NES30 Pro</a>, a controller which combines the basic style of the NES controller, a shape more like the SNES controller, and an amount of buttons/sticks that make it basically the match of the Dual Shock and most standard controllers since. It does lack something like a Home/Guide button, and has no sort of rumble. It finally arrived yesterday.

At first I ran into a bit of a problem--games designed for Xinput (using the X360 controller) won't automatically work with Bluetooth controllers. I figured there must be some sort of workaround, and sure enough learned about <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.x360ce.com">X360ce</a>, a bit of free software which helps other types of controllers work with games designed for Xinput. I got it set up, and sure enough am now able to play Fallout NV on a little tablet with an even littler controller. It's definitely not as comfortable as a full size controller, but so far seems pretty usable.