[2016.11.23] Morning Musume '16 - Sexy Cat no Enzetsu / Mukidashi de Mukiatte / Sou Janai

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Elpis
ANGERME

Re: [2016.11.23] Morning Musume '16 - Sexy Cat no Enzetsu / Mukidashi de Mukiatte / Sou Janai

Post by Elpis »

Sou Janai is still a boring song, but the MV was at least semi-interesting to watch. Making Maria center was probably the best thing they could've done since she's the only member that actually seems to be trying at all. I like parts of it more than others, but its still not the best.
Formerly Mizura
Meikochi
ANGERME

Re: [2016.11.23] Morning Musume '16 - Sexy Cat no Enzetsu / Mukidashi de Mukiatte / Sou Janai

Post by Meikochi »

I may be the only one here but I find Sou Janai catchy (especially the Sou Janai part) and dance is fun to watch (but simple) so I like it. Maria's voice is ok in the recording and I can only hope that she will improve (vocal and expressions, which are not always on point in the MV / live) now that she's been challenged with this. Dakishimetex2 is one of my most played song and yet I wasn't disturbed by that similar one bar. (Also practice part with the guy was funny).

I find Sexy Cats quite amusing (not only the MV but the tune has also a somewhat amusing tone) and cool (the end of the chorus (which is the Cats part for me), tune + dance, is cool and I really like this part). Groups lines at the beginning of the verses sounds good to me, bringing an atmosphere well-conveyed by the MV. Also there are some funny scenes in the MV, which are much more appreciated than (bland) close-ups we used to have (I would totally do a gif of Maa dropping off half of the popcorn bowl if I knew how to do some).

And I'm appreciating that management is finally putting some efforts in the MV, with a bit less cheap effects (for example robot effects in Sou Janai ; they now have to work on thing like cats transformation at the beginning of Sexy Cats, which does look cheap) and some actual progression in the MV (now hoping it will lead to MV with stories (maybe too hopeful but who knows). I'm hoping it will at least continue and get better if possible.

I'm late on this but still wanted to react (and be the devil's advocate haha). Angerme's songs are (very) good so I don't see the need in giving them the good songs MM are receiving : good voices in MM (Sakura, Fuku, Duu, Maa 3/4 of the time and Miki when she's given the occasion) still need good songs to sing and on the other hand, Dawa often, Kana and Maho half of the time don't sound good (yes they improved, which is not always the case in MM, and that should be changed by the girls' behaviours / staff giving them singing lessons, but they do have (a lot) more lines). I do get they have a better alchemy than MM, which is why I like them a lot and makes their group appareances and lives more pleasant to watch.

(Finally, only time will tell if I like this year's singles more than '14 singles but it seems so. I feel like a weirdo here haha.)

Don't want to bring back a debate though and I still like you all lol. ^^
Campy <3 !
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

I definitely enjoy Sou Janai as both a song and MV. It's not groundbreaking and the chorus comes in a bit weak considering the build up to it, but it's still a good product. I like the sound, especially the little instrumental bit right after the chorus. Really, everything from the dance to the song to the MV is well-matched, and that makes an overall cohesive product, which is half the battle of producing idols, so I'm extremely satisfied with this.

If we can continue to build on this effort with more effort in the MVs too, that would be fantastic.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Meikochi"]
Also there are some funny scenes in the MV, which are much more appreciated than (bland) close-ups we used to have (I would totally do a gif of Maa dropping off half of the popcorn bowl if I knew how to do some).
[/quote]

Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

Thank you TicTac !! :heart:
Last edited by Meikochi on Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campy <3 !
OdaTomo193
Kenshuusei

Post by OdaTomo193 »

I really really want Management to try some different centers! 
Maria looked really good as center, but vocally she isn't there yet (for me). 
The MV is really nice and makes me want to see mukidashi even more!! 
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="OdaTomo193"]
I really really want Management to try some different centers! 
Maria looked really good as center, but vocally she isn't there yet (for me). 

[/quote]

Well that's kind of the problem with MM, isn't it? Outside of Oda, Fukumura and possibly Masaki, who is "there" vocally? 
GaleKakumei
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by GaleKakumei »

Outside of Oda really. Fuku is stable but she isn't much of a vocalist and Masaki's talent is pretty much ruled by mysticism.
MM basically recruited a group of girls who could barely sing, then switched a singing group to a dancing group. The main issue for a while has been the group isn't really great at either. As a unit their singing is average, their dancing is average (if you count formations as "next level"-artistry, I guess they are above average) and their personalities are about as interesting as a bag of golf balls. I'm not sure why anyone expected anything near a well-rounded center, but Maria is probably as close as we are gonna get.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

MM'S main problem was recruiting the less than talented girls (such as the Harunas) for each generation and not doing much to help them and hoping that they'd suddenly get a lot better so once the good performers such as Reina Riho, (and to a lesser extent Kanon) they were pretty screwed vocally.
Formerly Mizura
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

News Preview of the Mukidashi PV.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

Of course the best song on the single has to get the worst PV, of course.
Formerly Mizura
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Y'all be trippin'. Look at that split screen CG action. Better than Sou Ja Nai's weird 90s CG balls. 

I honestly didn't expect anything other than a dance centric PV. I wasn't expecting them to use the jacket as a prop. Kind of like Tiki Bun with the scarfs.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
Y'all be trippin'. Look at that split screen CG action. Better than Sou Ja Nai's weird 90s CG balls. 

[/quote]

I agree... Sou Janai seems sooooo bland to me. At least this has some color to it, and I like the split screen :)
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Mukidashi is pretty good; makes me wanna dance.

Speaking of, I miss dance shots.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

That jacket move is awkward and makes me feel uncomfortable
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I like it a lot so far and the promotion edit is usually better than the H!S version so it should be better. Overall, I actually like this single and its the best single to come out of them since 2014. 
Formerly Mizura
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

Despite myself, I've decided that I'm being a bit too harsh of a bitter bitch on MM (and Makino), so I made myself watch Sexy Cat, Sou ja Nai and the Mukidashi preview.

I liked Mukidashi, the MV wasn't all that bad, and the effects reminded me slightly of the TokiSora ones. The song was definitely not their standard fare in a good way.

The other two... well. Sexy Cat still doesn't leave an impression much on me, but I did like Sou ja Nai as a song more, particularly the chorus. Maria did her job as center well; she keeps your eye once she catches it.
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

Song wise, I'd rank it: Mukidashi, Sexy Cat, Sou Ja Nai
PV wise, I'd rank it Sexy Cat, Sou Ja Nai, Mukidashi.

Overall, though, I'd say Sexy Cat is my favourite, but Mukidashi is the one stuck in my head.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
Noa
ANGERME

Post by Noa »

I don't know what it is about this single but Masaki is really growing on me. Maybe it's because she's one of the only decent singers left.
ImageImage
<p style="text-align:center;">我最爱你。你是我的太阳。
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Oh no I really like Mukidashi's MV. Effects are good enough to me.

And man, that song. Finally something different. And I'm a sucker for eurobeat. Oh no. I'm taken.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Mukidashi is all I've ever wanted from MM's EDM sound. It's very, very good. It's EDM done right, even though it kind of lacks any kind of innovation within the genre.
AquaChan
ANGERME

Post by AquaChan »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="202065" data-time="1478732971">Mukidashi is all I've ever wanted from MM's EDM sound. It's very, very good. It's EDM done right, even though it kind of lacks any kind of innovation within the genre.</blockquote>
This, this is why I like it so much.
Team Yellow love 
<p style="text-align:center;">♥ Rikako ♥ Yumeno ♥ Yokoyan ♥ Kamiko ♥ Kamei ♥ 
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

Mukidashi's video looks ridiculously cheap to me.  From the poor lighting and boring sound stage to the cheesy iMovie esque effects, it gives indie idol vibes.  A shame all of the budget went to the inferior song. 

I can't get past how uncomfortable, awk and lowkey terrified 12th gen still look on camera.

Also, and this is basically nitpicking, but it looks so bizarre to me that only two of them are wearing pants LOL.  Why not do half n half?  It's weird aesthetically.
Last edited by Farrah on Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

It sort of gives me TokiSora vibes but this being the red version of it. It's definitely cheap looking but I don't mind since I do spend more time listening to indies idols. I just don't like that this one got shafted to give the boring songs more interesting PVs that they actually seem to have spent money on.
Formerly Mizura
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="Mizura"]
I just don't like that this one got shafted to give the boring songs more interesting PVs that they actually seem to have spent money on.
[/quote]

Maybe UF's intent was that they could mask the boring songs with flashy PVs that you'd come back to just to watch, even if you put it on mute.  :ph34r:
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

There are some really strong harmonies in Mukidashi--wonder who.
rallyleo
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by rallyleo »

Pro tools plug-in ????
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Chino is still around doing harmonies if it wasn't someone from the group.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

The solo shots and effects look fine but what to me looks super cheap and basic are the dance parts...
Image Hey