What are you playing?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

Ap2000
つんく♂

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="showraniy"]
I just spent ~3 or 4 hours today playing Resident Evil 1 for the first time. It's been so many years since I played a RE that I forgot the controls suck.

I eventually gave up after dying for the umpteenth time and doing the same tasks over and over without any ink ribbons to save in between, but I'm glad I played some of it at least. Good times. I much prefer the gameplay in the new ones, but the horror of the old is very fun.
[/quote]

Did you play the old remake (GCN) or the even older original ?
The remake is way better in every regard.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="173965" data-time="1395631408"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="173961" data-time="1395622915">

I just spent ~3 or 4 hours today playing Resident Evil 1 for the first time. It's been so many years since I played a RE that I forgot the controls suck.

I eventually gave up after dying for the umpteenth time and doing the same tasks over and over without any ink ribbons to save in between, but I'm glad I played some of it at least. Good times. I much prefer the gameplay in the new ones, but the horror of the old is very fun.</blockquote>

Did you play the old remake (GCN) or the even older original ?

The remake is way better in every regard.</blockquote>

it was the original, but the dualshock original.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Oh man, I had this huge post and then I close the tab. I'm so damn retarded. :doh:

So we're going to make it short:

The Swapper - Cool story and style, but too short and mostly pretty easy!
Sanctum 2 - Cool and pretty FPS tower defense game ! Inconsistent difficutly curve !
Far Cry 3 - Vanilla is kinda underwhelming, game thinks the player is borderline retarded ! But with mods it's spectacular !
Dust - Furry shit, but still stylish !
Narco Terror - Garbage ! Ultra-cheesy dialogue ! Play co-op with a friend that likes shooting things and come up with a drinking game ! Best game ever !
Monaco - Too many colors and stuff on-screen ! Makes me dizzy and I can't play it ! Friend agrees !

I've been replaying Dungeon Keeper with the Keeper FX mod so it runs in 1920x1080. It's still a really unique and just well done RTS ! FUN !

EDIT:

Fuckbook bought Oculus VR:
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/facebook-just-bought-oculus-vr/1100-4883/

I have no words for how much more I hate that shit site.
Be prepared for having to connect to the internet and your facebook(c) account when you want to play games or watch movies with it.
I hope the the backers sue the shit out of the Oculus managers.

Man, Notch has become pretty lazy, but at least he still has integrity.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="174043" data-time="1395799401">EDIT:

Be prepared for having to connect to the internet and your facebook(c) account when you want to play games or watch movies with it.

Man, Notch has become pretty lazy, but at least he still has integrity.</blockquote>
God FUCKING damn it, Oculus is as good as dead now. And I was getting cautiously excited about it. I hope the next news I read is that Carmack dropped out of this shit too. :sick:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="174043" data-time="1395799401">
EDIT:

Man, Notch has become pretty lazy, but at least he still has integrity.
</blockquote>

God FUCKING damn it, Oculus is as good as dead now. And I was getting cautiously excited about it. I hope the next news I read is that Carmack dropped out of this shit too. :sick:

[/quote]

Unlikely, since he's already shilling for them:
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/448631430533246976
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="174050" data-time="1395832055">Unlikely, since he's already shilling for them:
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/448631430533246976</blockquote>
This is extremely disappointing.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Much better news:
PS3 and 360 emulators are starting to actually work !
http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/18214/20140326/working-ps3-emulator-for-pc-rpcs3-xbox-360-xenia.htm
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Aine gave me Sleeping Dogs + all DLCs today.
Thanks, mandigo !
There is also a VERY nice amount of neon, just as every gifted game should have !
Last edited by Ap2000 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I'm playing the HD remaster of FFX. I've never played a Final Fantasy before and I can't believe how cutscene heavy this game is.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Wow, Final Fantasy is my gaming lifeblood, so I'm shocked there are gamers who haven't played them!

X is easily one of the best though, so happy playing. I've been psyching myself out for the remaster, but I don't want to get it until my backlog shrinks.

Still making my way sloooowly through Tales of Xillia at the moment and I don't think there's anyone here who would get excited about this but YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE ATTACHMENTS ON HERE!! I AM SO HAPPY, THAT IS ALL I'VE EVER WANTED AND MORE!

So I spent thirty minutes playing around with a stray strand of hair on a character's head and it was just so awesome.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Nope, never played. But I finished up all the other games I had for my vita, and I figured that it was a good place to start since it's two games for the price of one.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="showraniy"]

X is easily one of the best though,
[/quote]

I think that is quite debatable.
7, 8 and 9 are all better in my opinion. Never played much of 1 - 6 (Squaresoft didn't release a lot of stuff in PAL during the NES & SNES times), but both 3 & 6 seem to be more highly valued by people that also played 10.

The biggest drawback is it being so limited in terms of exploration and a lot of fans disliked it for that. I personally was ok with it, though imo every good classic-style JRPG needs an overworld map.
Most of the dialogue is just laughably bad and that voice acting... lol
The overall story and lore is nice.

However, 10 has definitely the best fighting system. Probably even the best fighiting system in any JRPG ever. It perfected the round-based road they've been walking with all the 9 previous main game entries. Which makes
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

The voice acting actually isn't bothering me much. The only voice I really dislike is Yuna because of how slow all her lines are.
Last edited by Anderei on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Yeah, people always complain about the voice acting in 10, and I never see it. I like the voice acting just fine, so I'm not sure why no one likes it.

I've tried 6, but I stopped after a while... I'm not sure why I stopped, but I know the dated dungeon crawling gave me more than a few groans. Thankfully, none of the dungeons seemed all that long, but they still grated on me. I might pick it back up some day. To be fair, dated gameplay has lately been something I can't tolerate well... FF7 is my favorite FF ever (very closely tied with 10, but 7's my first love), and I can't make it past the first few hours of that anymore either.

I didn't like 8 just because the main characters drove me insane. Rinoa and Squall were the strangest couple to watch. The storyline is among the classic greats of 7 and 10 IMO, but the main couple just kept pissing me off throughout the entire game. 9 is my guilty pleasure and I love it, but 7 and 10 are still the best to me.

I could go on forever though, as these games really are the pinnacle of JRPGs in my mind, but I'll leave it here. I've recently started seeing the good points outweighing the bad in 13 as well, so hopefully I can continue loving the series.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="showraniy"]
I didn't like 8 just because the main characters drove me insane. Rinoa and Squall were the strangest couple to watch. The storyline is among the classic greats of 7 and 10 IMO, but the main couple just kept pissing me off throughout the entire game.
[/quote]

Never forget, Squall actually dies at the end of CD1 !

I didn't like 9 too much at first, since I'm not a fan of the character design and besides Vivi and Steiner, I found all the other characters to be kinda annoying.
However, in retrospect it was still a good FF. There was also that pretty good OST and the great set design for some locations, like Lindblum and Dali.

I've replayed the PC version of FF7 a few years ago, I think it was in 2007 or 2008, with a few mods, like having a higher resolution (for all the 3D models only, since 2D backgrounds can't just be scaled), having the far better fighting models in the normal world and a high resolution interface.
I think I must have played around 30 hours of it and I still really enjoyed it. Not sure if the PC version of FF8 has any mods. However, they've rereleased 7 & 8  on Steam some time ago and it natively runs at a higher resolution.

But I'm quite resillient to "old clunky gameplay" and value it a lot. For example, I've only just played System Shock 2 for the first time half a year ago (also with a few graphics mods) and now it's my favourite Shock game !
Right now I'm playing the first Dungeon Keeper (with a mod again haha, just one to play it in native 1920x1080) again after having not played it since about 15 years. It's still great ! It's still a materpiece ! I'm at mission 17 again already.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

[quote="Ap2000"]

I didn't like 9 too much at first, since I'm not a fan of the character design and besides Vivi and Steiner, I found all the other characters to be kinda annoying.
However, in retrospect it was still a good FF. There was also that pretty good OST and the great set design for some locations, like Lindblum and Dali.

I've replayed the PC version of FF7 a few years ago, I think it was in 2007 or 2008, with a few mods, like having a higher resolution (for all the 3D models only, since 2D backgrounds can't just be scaled), having the far better fighting models in the normal world and a high resolution interface.
I think I must have played around 30 hours of it and I still really enjoyed it. Not sure if the PC version of FF8 has any mods. However, they've rereleased 7 & 8  on Steam some time ago and it natively runs at a higher resolution.

But I'm quite resillient to "old clunky gameplay" and value it a lot. For example, I've only just played System Shock 2 for the first time half a year ago (also with a few graphics mods) and now it's my favourite Shock game !
Right now I'm playing the first Dungeon Keeper (with a mod again haha, just one to play it in native 1920x1080) again after having not played it since about 15 years. It's still great ! It's still a materpiece ! I'm at mission 17 again already.

[/quote]

I can admit that 9 is really not all that great when you get to the heart of the game (the final boss was stupid and pointless, Kuja wasn't an engaging villain just to name a few), but there is something about it that just resonates with me. I liked its return to FF's pre-7 roots, and it was just a very charming game. I adore Vivi and Garnet and Zidane, and just nnngh it appeals to me so much.

I've heard about that PC version with graphics mods for 7 and I think it would help. I hope to play it one day. You guys talk about Steam often, but since I don't use my laptop to game much, especially since it's started reaching the end of its life, I don't think I'd be able to take advantage of a lot of their games.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="showraniy"]

I can admit that 9 is really not all that great when you get to the heart of the game (the final boss was stupid and pointless, Kuja wasn't an engaging villain just to name a few), but there is something about it that just resonates with me. I liked its return to FF's pre-7 roots, and it was just a very charming game. I adore Vivi and Garnet and Zidane, and just nnngh it appeals to me so much.

I've heard about that PC version with graphics mods for 7 and I think it would help. I hope to play it one day. You guys talk about Steam often, but since I don't use my laptop to game much, especially since it's started reaching the end of its life, I don't think I'd be able to take advantage of a lot of their games.
[/quote]

Steam is just a distribution platform, somewhat like the PSN. There are "cheap" games, AAA games, non-games and even some software like RPG Maker.
Just take a look at http://store.steampowered.com. However, it is much more than just a tool for selling games and account-binding. There are boards, chats, groups, item trading and so on, basically a huge community of about 5 million active PC gamers.
There's also www.gog.com, a website that sells older games, all DRM free. If you open an account, you also get a few for free.

And occasionally you can get good deals on www.humblebundle.com and they also recently opened an online store.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

I heard there even is a Steam group for MM-BBS gamers... =3=

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

You know what they should have put into FFX? A skip cutscene button. That would be amazing.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Just spent 2 hours and 21 minutes to play through Double Dragon Neon in local co-op and it was mostly entertaining. There are only two "bullshit" areas (the two times when knifes are thrown at you).
The end fight was pretty damn intense and the music is really good.
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

I need a new game to keep me busy. I just played through the Mass Effect trilogy again and damn if it's not still the best thing I have ever played.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

I downloaded A Realm Reborn on PS4 and I'm loving it so far! This is the Final Fantasy I grew up with, not a bunch of prettyboy amnesiac assholes.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

If you ever wanted to try out a Stalker game, but never were quite sure wether it was worth buying, you can play Stalker - Lost Alpha:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/features/lost-alpha-faq
It's a restored old version of the first Stalker game, but with an updated engine and completely free/stand-alone !

In the past 48 hours, I've played 20 hours of Dark Souls 2.
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="Valerie"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="175084" data-time="1398365491">
<div>
NEW GYAKUTEN SAIBAN NEW GYAKUTEN SAIBAN NEW GYAKUTEN SAIBAN NEW GYAKUTEN SAIBAN NEW GYAKUTEN SAIBAN NEW GYAKUTEN SAIBAN NEW GYAKUTEN SAIBAN NEW GYAKUTEN SAIBAN NEW GYAKUTEN SAIBAN NEW GYAKUTEN SAIBAN :dancey: :dancey: :dancey: :dancey: :dancey:
[/quote]
ALREADY????????? DIDN'T WE JUST GET DUAL DESTINIES????????????

</div>
</blockquote>

IT'S GYAKUTEN SAIBAN THEREFORE IT'S AWESOME.

Can't waittttttttttt
Last edited by arcobaleno on Thu May 01, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I just want them to bring the HD trilogy for 3DS to America.

Anyway, I've been playing Demon Gaze which is sort of Etrian Odyssey-esque. It's nothing mind blowing but I'm still having fun with it.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Papers, please is a spectacular piece of software.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QP5X6fcukM
It is much more than just an intruiging puzzle game.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

I'm near the end of the Brutal Legend storyline and it's a bit of a letdown. The game has all the elements to make it awesome, but falls flat for some reason. I can't pin-point why exactly, but it's like watching forced memes all day and pretending they're funny.

Gameplay-wise, the car that is your main form of transport is extremely irritating to steer. And while it's a great idea to have a 100+ metal classics play on the radio, it kinda does not make sense when your average ride time is less than 2 minutes long.

The world feels like Goblin-centered World of Warcraft, except with 10x less budget and 10x less charm. And starting from about halfway into the storyline the game becomes 80% RTS battles. I was never a big fan of RTS games so it just feels kinda tedious to me. Though I kinda like the idea that you can at the same time manage your units RTS-style and join the battle personally at the same time.

I'd give it 6/10 in a non-inflated scale. Not bad considering I got it for a fiver or so in some bundle, but I won't be looking forward to a sequel. Still the best thing about this game is the over 100 classic metal songs that you can hear on your car's radio. It's a bummer they're not included in the soundtrack, but Internet ahoy. I'll sit down to look them up on yt and post some of my favourites one of these days.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="175940" data-time="1400364697">Papers, please is a spectacular piece of software.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QP5X6fcukM
It is much more than just an intruiging puzzle game.</blockquote>
I heard it's really good from a lot of people, I should finally play it when I have time.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Swtess
Kenshuusei

Post by Swtess »

I'm a very very very casual gamer. I don't really delve into RPGs anymore just because I will forget where I left off.

Currently I am into the hack and slash type. So I'm just hacking away on Dynasty Warriors and waiting for the release of Samurai Warriors 4.