What are you playing?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

showraniy
ANGERME

Re: What are you playing?

Post by showraniy »

I just started Season 2 of The Walking Dead game yesterday! It's really fun. I hope it's the game to get me back into gaming, because I really miss doing it.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="showraniy"]
I just started Season 2 of The Walking Dead game yesterday! It's really fun. I hope it's the game to get me back into gaming, because I really miss doing it.
[/quote]

That's barely a game.
At least the first one was not much more than a DVD menu simulator.
Meekolli
Kenshuusei

Post by Meekolli »

I bought myself Dragonball Xenoverse yesterday. It's pretty fun so far and it certainly makes me feel very nostalgic. I cannot master defence or evasion for the life of me though.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="185463" data-time="1425234243"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="185461" data-time="1425232394">

I just started Season 2 of The Walking Dead game yesterday! It's really fun. I hope it's the game to get me back into gaming, because I really miss doing it.</blockquote>
That's barely a game.

At least the first one was not much more than a DVD menu simulator.</blockquote>
I'm fine with that, since the story is the main thing I care about in games. Gameplay has to be challenging enough to keep me entertained, but it's a really distant second priority.

The main issue is tha I want to play more involved games, but I just don't have the time anymore. I checked my saves the other day, and the last time I actually played anything substantial time-wise was in March of 2013. I bought the HD Remaster of FFX some time before Christmas last year, and it's still in the wrap. :lol: I need more easily accessible games with shorter stopping points so that I can actually play them over longer periods of time without forgetting important things to progress forward later.

I still like gaming, and it's a big part of my nerd identity, so I hope to find games like that so I can game again.
Last edited by showraniy on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I'm playing Hyperdevotion Noire. Because I play games like that.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="185507" data-time="1425318563">I'm fine with that, since the story is the main thing I care about in games. Gameplay has to be challenging enough to keep me entertained, but it's a really distant second priority.

The main issue is tha I want to play more involved games, but I just don't have the time anymore. I checked my saves the other day, and the last time I actually played anything substantial time-wise was in March of 2013. I bought the HD Remaster of FFX some time before Christmas last year, and it's still in the wrap. :lol: I need more easily accessible games with shorter stopping points so that I can actually play them over longer periods of time without forgetting important things to progress forward later.

I still like gaming, and it's a big part of my nerd identity, so I hope to find games like that so I can game again.</blockquote>
Well, I can tell you that TWD will bore you to death with it's utter lack of any challenge then.

You should rather look at all the casual stuff on tablets etc. But I personally don't consider many of those worth gaming.
I live by the motto of "play good stuff or don't game at all". I wouldn't want to waste my time on things that are shallow and boring.
The only exception are utter trash games like Unearthed, Sonic 2006 or Sonic Adventure 2, games that are so bad, they're actually fun to play because of how shitty and broken they are.

As you surely have guessed by now, I can't understand how anybody would put anything over gameplay, especially story.
Hotaru
つばきファクトリー

Post by Hotaru »

[quote="Anderei"]
I'm playing Hyperdevotion Noire. Because I play games like that.
[/quote]

I play those games too! Although, I don't have a vita, so I've only played up to Hyperdimension Neptunia V. 

Sure they're fanservice-y, but I like the console war theme and the overall characters.

Currently though, I have been playing Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton, Animal Crossing, and almost regrettably, I got into World of Warcraft again D:
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I actually really like the designs even with the fan service. I'm upset the next new game is being developed for the ps4 because there's not enough ges to justify buying one for me.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="185526" data-time="1425327822"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="185507" data-time="1425318563">
I'm fine with that, since the story is the main thing I care about in games. Gameplay has to be challenging enough to keep me entertained, but it's a really distant second priority.

I still like gaming, and it's a big part of my nerd identity, so I hope to find games like that so I can game again.</blockquote>Well, I can tell you that TWD will bore you to death with it's utter lack of any challenge then.

You should rather look at all the casual stuff on tablets etc. But I personally don't consider many of those worth gaming.

I live by the motto of "play good stuff or don't game at all". I wouldn't want to waste my time on things that are shallow and boring.

The only exception are utter trash games like Unearthed, Sonic 2006 or Sonic Adventure 2, games that are so bad, they're actually fun to play because of how shitty and broken they are.

As you surely have guessed by now, I can't understand how anybody would put anything over gameplay, especially story.</blockquote>
A lot of people I know, particularly men, seem to value the gameplay over the story, but I've always been the other way around. I wouldn't knock FFX's battle system because I think it's very well crafted, but it's really simple and even a step back from previous battle systems. Even with that, it's my favorite in the series, behind VII, because of its strong story.

I just appreciate a novel in a visual, interactive format, so I'd say The Walking Dead game accomplishes that perfectly. Likewise, games that are usually touted for their gameplay (Call of Duty, God of War, the newer Final Fantasies, etc.) bore me because their story lines aren't strong.

I can say more when I'm not on my phone, but I think that's the main reason actual "casual" games don't appeal to me either. Unless we're talking about indie games, 'cause I've really liked the few indie games I've played.
Last edited by showraniy on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Next month will be the 1 year anniversary of me starting the HD remake of FFX.

I haven't finished it yet. D:
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Max Payne is one of the most linear games I ever played, but the story is really excellent. I'm almost up to the last, fourth part of the game and I'll be sad to see it end.

Surprisingly, it didn't age that much in terms of gameplay. Obviously graphics and physics are dated, but shooting feels so satisfactory.

I already said this in the spam thread, but Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies is currently 44% off on 3DS eStore, down to €14 or your equivalent. It doesn't go on sale very often, so it's a good chance to grab it cheap.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="185966" data-time="1426008983">Time to hurt some people</blockquote>
I knew what game you meant before I clicked. =3= Is it any good? I saw a few reviews and comments that it's a letdown compared to the first game.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

I've started playing Heroes of the Storm. I really like DotA2, but Heroes just strips out so much of the annoying micromanaging and is a much more relaxing game.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="186100" data-time="1426253088">

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="185966" data-time="1426008983">
Time to hurt some people
</blockquote>

I knew what game you meant before I clicked. =3= Is it any good? I saw a few reviews and comments that it's a letdown compared to the first game.

</blockquote>

Absolutely outstanding soundtrack and gameplay as good as the first one, with several new masks that play very differently.

The level design is not as good at times, because for my taste it relies too much on going slow and sniping people from afar. This makes the game much harder than the first one.

However, there's a level editor, so people easily can make their own, more intricate levels.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

If anyone's interested in Heroes of the Storm, Blizzard sent me a few beta codes.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Bought Wasteland 2 three weeks ago and already finished it. "Already" because I've played it nearly daily for several hours and it's a pretty long game (70h minimum if you love exploring). It's also pretty good.
I'm looking forward to Tides of Numera, inXile's next CRPG, and hope the battle system will be a bit more complex.

Then, on the evening of the 21st, I decided to play a game I haven't played in about 13 years, but left a strong impression. Everquest 1. Project 1999, to be precise.
It's very hard to get into and the combat can be a chore, but there's something very intriguing about it and when listening to the right music (Mushishi, King's Field IV, Ni no kuni and other good OSTs) while playing makes it quite atmospheric. I just found out that I only have 2 out of 9 possible spells for my level yet... but I'm reluctant to just look up everything in the wiki.

Here is my totally hardcore barbarian shaman that just reached level 3 after playing for about 6~7 hours:
2015-03-21_00002.jpg
"Ready for intercourse"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Bloodborne is Dark Souls meets HP Lovecraft, and it is amazing!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

After having a bad time trying to install GTA V (PC), I finally managed to get it to run today and been playing for a good 6 hours now.
I also made a useless video, but at least it's 1080p@60fps useless:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zhzKXNYLk
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

time.png
Why live. :nono:

Max Payne 2 is such a great game. It's still as linear as MP1, but it took all the good things and polished them to perfection. The shooting is so fun. The playing from another point of view you get to do in one of the chapters is so satisfying. The story-within-a-story in the soap operas you see on the tv sets in game is fantastic in how it provides commentary and a second layer to the main story. It's really almost flawless.

Now if only I had time to finally start playing it again... :dammit:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="187200" data-time="1429122478">After having a bad time trying to install GTA V (PC), I finally managed to get it to run today and been playing for a good 6 hours now.
I also made a useless video, but at least it's 1080p@60fps useless:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zhzKXNYLk</blockquote>
Sometimes improved graphics are the curse of modern games. I'm sure it's a great game, but seeing him take three bullets in the back and not even shrugging kinda breaks the immersion. I'll buy it for $2.50 in 2017 Winter Sale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="187428" data-time="1429821310">Sometimes improved graphics are the curse of modern games. I'm sure it's a great game, but seeing him take three bullets in the back and not even shrugging kinda breaks the immersion. I'll buy it for $2.50 in 2017 Winter Sale.</blockquote>
It's a very good and technically impressive game, but it's lacking the memorable characters from GTA IV.
Had a friend over on Tuesday and we played it for 6 hours straight, online and offline. We also did a few things in pseudo-coop, one guy driving with the gamepad and the other aiming and shooting with mouse. It was chaotic.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Until May 1 you can get Child of Light and Valiant Hearts: The Great War for very cheap on Steam. I can't recommend Child of Light enough, it's just magical and beautiful. I actually didn't get to play Valiant Hearts yet, but I have a gut feeling it's great too.

Check out the trailers:

Child of Light

Valiant Hearts

They both come with Uplay unfortunately, but at least CoL is one of the few titles where it's worth putting up with it.

I'd recommend getting the Golem's Plight dlc for Child of Light too, the side-quest it adds is pretty cute and the extra companion is very useful sometimes.
Last edited by aine on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Last edited by aine on Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I highly recommend watching this GC:CX special with Iwata:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qdRzxmgYWo

He was a cool dude.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

He was a nice guy, but he did make some pretty questionable decisions at Nintendo. I'm interested in seeing what direction they take now.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Even if you're not like me and don't consider Deus Ex to be the best PC game of all time, this is still interesting to watch.
Warren Spector, Sheldon Pacotti and Chris Norden, three people that worked and had a huge influence on DX are playing it for an hour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVBSxnwiCo
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Journey is still so damn good.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Journey is still so damn unavailable on PC.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Journey is one of the most interesting games on PS3.

But a PS4 version seems utterly pointless.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

It's free if you own the PS3 version.
Last edited by al kusanagi on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Anyone else around here happen to have an Oculus Rift?