What are you playing?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Re: What are you playing?

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Lately I've been playing Elder Scrolls Online. Compared to the offline games there are some notable changes and compromises, but it does still feel very much a part of the series, rather than just random MMO with an Elder Scrolls skin. Not a lot of "Kill 5 wolves!" or "Bring me 5 apples!" quests all over the place.

Once I found the ability to dye equipment in-game, I've made sure I'll totally blend into the shadows.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

^ That's cool. I've been working on finishing up Skyrim lately and it definitely doesn't have the level of customization that ESO seems to. How does the game play? I've looked into it a bit but I've heard very mixed results about it. The whole leveling skills things up by choosing one of four classes seems really confusing as well.
Formerly Mizura
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Compared to previous Elder Scrolls games, or at least IV and V which I spent a lot of time with:
*Weight isn't a thing. Inventory is just based on number of items, and heavier armor taking up more of your inventory isn't an issue. Impossible to end up overburdened--you just can't hold beyond your maximum. You also have access to a bank, which is shared between characters on an account. Both individual inventory and bank sizes can be increased a few ways.
*Can't randomly drag things around the world and drop them anywhere. Too bad, but pretty understandable for something massively multiplayer. No dropping baskets on guards' heads or filling a house with hundreds of bones.
*Can't just remove every piece of armor from every fallen enemy--I guess this also has to be expected to make things work in a multiplayer world.
*Your main character level doesn't raise based on increases in other skills--they all have individual experience counters. As long as you have an ability from some class skill slotted, or a certain kind of weapon or armor equipped, that skill will gain experience whenever you complete a quest, defeat an enemy, or do any other thing that gives you general experience. Crafting skills level by crafting items, deconstructing items, or by completing daily crafting requests. Having any of these skills level up doesn't automatically gain you much, though--more it sets a high bound on what abilities you're allowed to put skill point into. That works somewhat similarly to Skyrim, though there's less interconnectedness--no abilities are limited by requiring access to an unrelated ability before it. These skill points you can spend are earned by leveling up, as rewards for some quests, or by finding skyshards located throughout the world.
*There are 3 major factions in the game, each of which represents several of the playable species. Each has its own set of major zones, and it seems like you don't even get to visit those until you're done with the "main storyline" somewhere around level 50. Very large world. There's a separate zone for PVP between the factions, but I haven't checked it out yet.
*Speaking of the main storyline, it basically seems to be something that will pop up every 5 levels or so--you'll be asked to go do a solo quest to progress things along. Past the beginning it can be put off indefinitely. Other than the main storyline there's also a continuing set of quests for the mages guild and fighter's guild which I imagine is much the same for every faction. Plus one that should be very different for each--as an Aldmeri Dominion player I'm involved in stopping various threats against the queen. Beyond that there are all kinds of one-off things to find strewn throughout the map.
*Crafting is made pretty friendly--especially the gathering aspect. It doesn't make you carry around a saw or pickaxe or anything like that--you just seem to magically have them on hand at all times.
*Battling seems fairly similar to IV and V, but honestly this is an area where I have to take a kind of blunt approach--I have awful lag so trying to do things like block properly and take evasive moves is something of a lost cause.
*Though as an MMO it is of course possible to group up with other people, it is still very possible to play the game solo--there'll just be a lot of other weirdos running around doing it too.
*There's not a single central auction house system as in some MMOs, but there is a "guild store" system where in-game guilds can set up a store that their members can place their items for sale on.
*Going back to something you said, you're right there's quite a bit of customization in look possible--which I guess is more necessary with thousands of people around. With the crafting system, everyone starts out only able to craft the designs of their race--but by finding or purchasing the right books, crafting in all these styles (plus some rarer ones) is possible. Past that, at a dye shop each bit of armor can be given 3 colors, or you can save sets of 3 colors to apply to pieces more easily. In the above image each piece has a shared pink-purple-pink setting. This does bind the armor to you, though, so you can't give it to other people.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Speaking of Skyrim, I never quite finished it up though I think I've got over 200 hours in it... too much opportunity to just pick a random direction and find things to do!

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JoshuaJSlone" data-cid="190871" data-time="1440143719">Speaking of Skyrim, I never quite finished it up though I think I've got over 200 hours in it... too much opportunity to just pick a random direction and find things to do!</blockquote>
And, except for Fallout 3, Bethesda's main quests are usually boring as fuck.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

That pretty much answers most questions I have. If I ever get a computer that can run it, I'll check it out.

Skyrim's main quest line is fairly boring, but the Dark brotherhood quest line is fun. There are also some interesting side quests. Overall, I like Oblivion more but it's more challenging.
Formerly Mizura
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

[quote="Ap2000"]

And, except for Fallout 3, Bethesda's main quests are usually boring as fuck.

[/quote]

Having to go through a bunch of Oblivion gates to shut them down is maybe one of the most boring repetitive things I've needed to do in a game I otherwise really like. At that point I'd abused the enchanting system enough that I could walk through invisibly and at least not be delayed, but still what a chore.

On the topic of Elder Scrolls, earlier this year I played a free Oblivion total mod called Nehrim and enjoyed it quite a bit. Along with a whole new world and largely voiced (albeit in German) story, it changes up the leveling system to make things a bit harsher, puts some limits on the fast travel system, and doesn't scale enemies like Oblivion did. At first it was pretty frustrating, as it was probably a dozen hours until I felt the little critters near the beginning weren't going to be able to rip my throat out. However, I ended up finding it more rewarding to improve my skills, whereas in something like Skyrim I'd basically maxed out my thieving skills in 2 days and had nowhere to go with it but making guards look embarrassing.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I bought a Steelseries Rival mouse and I absolutely love it.
I think I have never imemdiately loved any input device this fast in my 20+ years of gaming.

It's just so damn smooth, feels so damn nice and the shape is damn perfect.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I got Oblivion recently and haven't gotten that far alon with the story. I've dealt with one Oblivion gate and it wasn't so bad. Dealing with more would definitely be boring.

Oblivion's pickpocketting skill was frustrating with the sense that looking at the inventory counted and even if you didn't take something the guards would know and then you'd have to evade them. The lock picking skill was annoying to level up as well. Otherwise, I like the class system.
Formerly Mizura
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Oblivion has some really good (and quite necessary) interface and convenience mods, you can check them out here:
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/?

The Thieves guild and Dark brotherhood questlines are really good.
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

The best Oblivion quest in the entire game is the Dark Brotherhood quest called "Whodnnit?"

HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I'm not that great at sneaking yet in Oblivion so the dark brotherhood quests are harder (especially since I'm trying to get the bonus for it). Scheduled for Execution is the one I have to do next. At this point, I was working to make some enchanted armor with the chameleon effect on it so I'd be completely unseen. I've completed the mages guild quests to get there, but from what I remember you have to pay money for each enchantment. And I'm pretty much always dirt poor in that game so it'll be a while.
Formerly Mizura
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I'm now remembering how I was hopping everywhere in Oblivion to help raise the athletics skill. But it worked!
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

[quote="Mizura"]
I'm not that great at sneaking yet in Oblivion so the dark brotherhood quests are harder (especially since I'm trying to get the bonus for it). Scheduled for Execution is the one I have to do next. At this point, I was working to make some enchanted armor with the chameleon effect on it so I'd be completely unseen. I've completed the mages guild quests to get there, but from what I remember you have to pay money for each enchantment. And I'm pretty much always dirt poor in that game so it'll be a while.
[/quote]
You don't need to be stealthy for Whodunit? -- it's more fun if you're NOT stealthy. Without spoiling too much, talk to everyone you can. Have a bit of gold on hand. Wear the outfit they give you because it increases your charisma.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Trying out Super Mario Maker. It seems to start simple without all the options, but it seems well done. Maybe the most amusing thing is that whenever you place an item, it adds to the music with a very electronic version of its name. It's pretty subtle, I thought it was just some weird instrumentation at first.
ImageImageImageImage
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I've been playing through DDR again for these past few months. While I've always been fairly good at the game, I never got the highest letter grade in it until today. It's taken 9 maybe 10 years, but its worth it. The only part I'm annoyed about was achieving it in Dice Master Mode instead of the standard game mode so it wasn't recorded. 

I have a photo, but I have no way to post it onto the forum at this time.

Formerly Mizura
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Haven't tried them yet, but I recently got ahold of some H!P PS1 games.
In the case of the second one it seems like just a visual reskin of an existing game--if the credits at the end of the booklet are to be believed, it doesn't even include any H!P music.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

Won't you have any problems with regions-lock ?

Anyways, hope you'll do a small report after playing, I'm interested in what type of games it is.
Campy <3 !
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

There's also a Morning Musume "game" for PS2 called Space Venus. It's mostly a video editor, but it's got a video for my jam, Dance Suru no Da!
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Nowadays if I want to play a console game from something Wii or less advanced it's usually with an emulator on PC, so region locks are easy enough to get around.

I've got Space Venus, too. Those handful of 360-degree videos are the coolest thing in there, though viewing the ripped video in a different way can be even better.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JoshuaJSlone" data-cid="191574" data-time="1443034452">Nowadays if I want to play a console game from something Wii or less advanced it's usually with an emulator on PC, so region locks are easy enough to get around.

I've got Space Venus, too. Those handful of 360-degree videos are the coolest thing in there, though viewing the ripped video in a different way can be even better.</blockquote>
The next generation of fapping is truly upon us.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

[quote="JoshuaJSlone"]
Nowadays if I want to play a console game from something Wii or less advanced it's usually with an emulator on PC, so region locks are easy enough to get around.

I've got Space Venus, too. Those handful of 360-degree videos are the coolest thing in there, though <a class="bbc_url" href="http://helloproject.wikia.com/wiki/User ... t">viewing the ripped video in a different way</a> can be even better.
[/quote]

That's good. There's a european and asian only game called Over Zenith (the swords of etheria) that I've been interested in recently. Since the PS2 is region locked, I figured I'd have no way to play it even if I did find a copy in english without having to import a european PS2.
Formerly Mizura
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

[quote="Mizura"]
That's good. There's a european and asian only game called Over Zenith (the swords of etheria) that I've been interested in recently. Since the PS2 is region locked, I figured I'd have no way to play it even if I did find a copy in english without having to import a european PS2.

[/quote]

Checking the PCSX2 compatibility list, looks like The Sword of Etheria is deemed playable. Though really I guess the vast majority are by this point.
ShiroiChanUK
こぶしファクトリー

Post by ShiroiChanUK »

Professor Layton and the Lost Future 
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Doctor Not Layton Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights 
Splatoon
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

[quote="JoshuaJSlone"]
Trying out Super Mario Maker. It seems to start simple without all the options, but it seems well done. Maybe the most amusing thing is that whenever you place an item, it adds to the music with a very electronic version of its name. It's pretty subtle, I thought it was just some weird instrumentation at first.
[/quote]
I bought this day one but have yet to play it. I heard that most people complained about not having all the features available right away but Nintendo said they would release a patch that would make everything available from the get go. Hopefully they've released that patch so I can unlock everything straight away once I get around to playing the game :) For those of you who don't know the game tried to force you to play for 9 days to unlock everything. A little obnoxious if you ask me >_< However this didn't stop people from going to their Wii U settings after each day and changing the date and time lol

If you make any courses and upload them, especially H!P related ones can you send the course ID's my way please? :)

[quote="JoshuaJSlone"]
Haven't tried them yet, but I recently got ahold of some H!P PS1 games.

In the case of the second one it seems like just a visual reskin of an existing game--if the credits at the end of the booklet are to be believed, it doesn't even include any H!P music.
[/quote]
Oh, I own the PS2 game but I didn't know any other H!P games existed. Can someone send me a list of them please? :)
Last edited by ShiroiChanUK on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

[quote="Shiroi"]

I bought this day one but have yet to play it. I heard that most people complained about not having all the features available right away but Nintendo said they would release a patch that would make everything available from the get go. Hopefully they've released that patch so I can unlock everything straight away once I get around to playing the game :) For those of you who don't know the game tried to force you to play for 9 days to unlock everything. A little obnoxious if you ask me >_< However this didn't stop people from going to their Wii U settings after each day and changing the date and time lol
[/quote]
There's already a patch to make things quicker, but not available right away--I don't know that there's any intention to do that.

By default, I think after using the editing tools for 5 minutes it will tell you there's a delivery of new things scheduled for tomorrow. However, if you keep on editing from this point it may get delivered early. I never looked into it THAT closely while I still had things locked, but I've heard the quick way is to make sure you've used all the new items (so none still showing a ! on them) and then place 500 items (a bunch of ground or whatever would be quick). Doing this I suppose you could rush all the deliveries in an hour or so.
[quote="Shiroi"]
Oh, I own the PS2 game but I didn't know any other H!P games existed. Can someone send me a list of them please? :)

[/quote]

Other than the three already mentioned recently and Hello Pro Tap, I only know of a few more Minimoni games for sure. Not counting various other music game where H!P songs appear, or the Rhythm Tengoku games where some familiar names are involved.

Last edited by JoshuaJSlone on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-4 were some of my most influental games in my teenage years and, eventhough there's no PC version and it was made by the same incompetent people that did the Shred, Ride and HD, I was kinda hoping it may not be utterly terrible.

But...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIXkRXYbKaI

Guess it's time to give THUG Pro a chance:
http://tonyhawkgames.wikia.com/wiki/THUG_Pro
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

The new PS4 update added create a community features. If they're enough of us on the system, we could always make a BBS group.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Just finished Valiant Hearts and it made me choke up a little.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Finished Ace Attorney Dual Destinies. Already said that in the spam thread, but it was all right. Athena is a damn weak and annoying character, I didn't care much about Blackquill, the difficulty level is a fraction of what it was in AA1-3 and in more than a few instances the choices you're made to make feel like an insult to your intelligence, and if that's not enough the game literally has a built-in walkthrough for the investigation segments. I'm not really a fan of the 3D graphics and animations, but that's just me being a holdout again probably.

Still, it's an AA game. If you get the DLC "Special Episode" case then I recommend to play it right after the first case, it sort of feels like it was supposed to go the from the start.

I also finished all Fallout 3 DLCs finally. I told myself I would only give it a quick play-through to see the DLCs since I missed out on them before, but I'm already over 100 hours into it. I guess I just can't play a Fallout game fast.

I hit the level cap a while ago already so coupled with a few overpowered weapons from the add-ons it feels like sightseeing in god mode a bit. Hopefully it will be downhill from now on.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Yeah, Fallout 3 did start to feel a bit "god mode" once you get to a point where every other bullet can make a mutant explode. It was almost refreshing to get to that DLC in the swamp area where their brand of weirdos could take a few more hits.

Still need to play Ace Attorney 5... and the Layton crossover, for that matter.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I've played the first 3 Layton games. But I still don't have a 3ds to play the others.
Formerly Mizura