Hello!News Network :: 2017 Edition

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Re: Hello!News Network :: 2017 Edition

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Their raised arms are totally photoshopped, right? I'm not crazy???
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

At least the Angerme design covers more than just a small part above the chest. 

And I really wondered forever what the logos on the back of °C-ute's shirt were supposed to be... sponsors? Really?
(Also what are the dresses for the microfiber towels... oh my god they're so ugly except for Mai's...)
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

They're too small to see, but I think those may be all the logos of their previous tours.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Al Kusanagi"]
They're too small to see, but I think those may be all the logos of their previous tours.
[/quote]

You know what, you're right.

I see CAN'T STOP and COMPASS in there. I assumed they were sponsors lololol.

Good eye, my bad.
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Alright, that's definitely better haha.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Previews for:

Momochi's "Birthday Party"

Oda Sakura Birthday Event

Ogata Haruna and Haga Akane Birthday Events (It's kinda sad to see the empty seats in their crowds...)

Suzuki Airi Birthday Event
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

Is it only me or did Haruna sounded better than Akane ? (At least on her first song)

Sakura is great.

(And what you linked for Airi is her birthday goods CM, still funny to watch though).
Campy <3 !
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Meikochi"]
Is it only me or did Haruna sounded better than Akane ? (At least on her first song)

[/quote]

The songs Akane sang were way more difficult than what Haruna performed, and the results were entirely predictable. Also, that's probably the best I've heard Haruna sing, which is kinda sad.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

[quote="Meikochi"]
[/quote]

I listened to Haruna's first and thought "wait, Akane sounds worse than Haruna's in her BD dvd? worse than that???". And you were right. Damn.
Her songs were definitely more difficult than Haruna's, of course. Suppin to Namida? Pretty wide range, and many H!P girls sound bad covering that song. For Ii Yatsu she's been off the whole time. But these (both Haruna and Akane) really were a whole new level of bad. 

Akane really has to watch out if she wants to become even slightly more popular. At the moment she has nothing going for her: She doesn't really have a character (Yoko is cuter than her despite being a bit older, there's a bunch of members that are better at throwing shade, etc.), I think she's cute and has a pretty face but she's too chubby for Japanese wota and she's not a good singer either. She's the youngest member, of course, but if things go badly for her they announce a new audition next year and then it's very likely that members younger than her will join. (Then again since auditions nowadays usually run for 2 years - one audition without winners, one where they pick KSS in the end - it's not even impossible to simply graduate before new members join...)
This year in September she'll also have her 3rd anniversairy in the group and doing basically nothing for three years is... bad. I was angry that Kanon wasted a year with looking sad and dropping in popularity but she did stuff before (even if it was only for a short time) and after that. I like that Akane never looks as down as Kanon did, but she's not doing anything. I can totally understand why she's rather unpopular (contrary to I. Haruna's situation - but maybe I'm biased). 

(Occasional reminder that I love Akane.)

And that's been the rant of the week.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

They're both still really bad... I couldn't stand to sit through either one's solo events. Their fans are truly hardcore.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

You both lead me to think 2 things quite positive about Haruna : it seems she knows her limits, what she can actually sing, and while she started at zero (cracking during JKM), she improved and could maybe end up where Iikubo is today (after 6 years in the group). She may goes out from my bottom girls, afterall.

Spoiler: [+]

The first point is quite important to me and I get the feeling (by MC and videos) that Akane is not aware at all of her limits, whether here in choosing songs too difficult for her or her behavior towards other girls (esp. Sakura).
Campy <3 !
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Akane is trending toward Kanon-level chubby, which, for a J-idol with no discernible talent, will be problematic for her. 

And yeah, Haruna was smart enough to choose songs appropriate for her level of talent. She seems to be of the Dirty Harry Callahan mind-set: "A man's got to know his limitations."

At times I want to feel sorry for Akane, since she just seems constantly overwhelmed by everything, but then you realize that SHE chose to sing those songs, and it's like, well, you're not even really trying, are you? You're just doing whatever the fuck you want regardless of how poorly it's gonna come off. If I could graduate one single member today, it'd be Haga, because I can't for the life of me see the purpose she serves in MM. 
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Haruna is pretty clever, honestly. She's the only 12th gen member aside from Maria that has built up a persona (I guess Miki is sloooowly getting there, being cool yet chill American-like or something) and it works. To me she's one of the prettiest members in the group but she's not scared of making an ugly face - which reminds me of a thing Tsunku said: If you're doing something embarassing in a half-assed way it will look stupid, but if you're going with it on purpose it'll end up being cool in a way. And while she can't sing for her life and still moves around awkwardly on stage her character definitely works. I think she's funny (opinions differ though, of course) and W-Haruna is probably the most entertaining thing they've got in MCs at the moment. 

And yeah, she knows what to choose in an event like this. A comparison between her and Hagiwara Mai is easier to win than one between her and Goto Maki. 

^Kanon tried to make her size her thing and was entertaining to at least a few Japanese viewers and it was still problematic for her. Hence her diet. 
(Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want them to force their idols to diet. It's just such a big disadvantage even if you have a somewhat working stick.)
AquaChan
ANGERME

Post by AquaChan »

The subbed H!S episode where they both talk/getting scolded a few weeks back kinda footage the whole thing, it was sad.
Last edited by AquaChan on Tue May 09, 2017 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team Yellow love 
<p style="text-align:center;">♥ Rikako ♥ Yumeno ♥ Yokoyan ♥ Kamiko ♥ Kamei ♥ 
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

It was hard to watch but at the same time I think the dance teacher was not too harsh or cold. Haga and Ogata are definitely weaker links in terms of dance but they just need to keep pushing themselves. That's what the teacher was clear in telling them and they both already knew that. 
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="DonJuan" data-cid="207518" data-time="1494276530"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Meikochi" data-cid="207504" data-time="1494241978">
Is it only me or did Haruna sounded better than Akane ? (At least on her first song)</blockquote>
I listened to Haruna's first and thought "wait, Akane sounds worse than Haruna's in her BD dvd? worse than that???". And you were right. Damn.

Her songs were definitely more difficult than Haruna's, of course. Suppin to Namida? Pretty wide range, and many H!P girls sound bad covering that song. For Ii Yatsu she's been off the whole time. But these (both Haruna and Akane) really were a whole new level of bad.

Akane really has to watch out if she wants to become even slightly more popular. At the moment she has nothing going for her: She doesn't really have a character (Yoko is cuter than her despite being a bit older, there's a bunch of members that are better at throwing shade, etc.), I think she's cute and has a pretty face but she's too chubby for Japanese wota and she's not a good singer either. She's the youngest member, of course, but if things go badly for her they announce a new audition next year and then it's very likely that members younger than her will join. (Then again since auditions nowadays usually run for 2 years - one audition without winners, one where they pick KSS in the end - it's not even impossible to simply graduate before new members join...)

This year in September she'll also have her 3rd anniversairy in the group and doing basically nothing for three years is... bad. I was angry that Kanon wasted a year with looking sad and dropping in popularity but she did stuff before (even if it was only for a short time) and after that. I like that Akane never looks as down as Kanon did, but she's not doing anything. I can totally understand why she's rather unpopular (contrary to I. Haruna's situation - but maybe I'm biased).

(Occasional reminder that I love Akane.)

And that's been the rant of the week.</blockquote>
Akane is still young enough that she can wait it out a few years and still get a chance to shine. Wouldn't be the first time an idols got her time in the limelight once a bunch of other people have left. New generations don't always mean the downfall of the older ones. 13th gen are new enough that one or both could end up not being the hit with fans they want and 14th gen will no doubt include at least one dud, whether it be in terms of looks/talent/personality. She's not the least busy H!P member, I just don't post the stuff she does because even solo MM stuff is boring these days.
Last edited by Anderei on Tue May 09, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="AquaChan" data-cid="207529" data-time="1494297191">The subbed H!S episode where they both talk/getting scolded a few weeks back kinda footage the whole thing, it was sad.</blockquote>
I like how the teacher laid the truth on the table that they are just fluffy moeblobs with no contribution to the group. :lol:

And people really thought that was harsh? They should have gotten the Natsu-sensei treatment that 6th Gens got during their auditions. :rolleyes:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

That was pretty tame, really. I hope someone was actually harsh to them off camera -- get your shit together or graduate -- because that's what they need. 
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="207543" data-time="1494354064">
And people really thought that was harsh? They should have gotten the Natsu-sensei treatment that 6th Gens got during their auditions. :rolleyes:
</blockquote>

Natsu-sensei came to my mind, too. But I also thought of that time they put down S/mileage, not too long after 2nd gen joined.  

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="207542" data-time="1494352596">
Akane is still young enough that she can wait it out a few years and still get a chance to shine. Wouldn't be the first time an idols got her time in the limelight once a bunch of other people have left. New generations don't always mean the downfall of the older ones. 13th gen are new enough that one or both could end up not being the hit with fans they want and 14th gen will no doubt include at least one dud, whether it be in terms of looks/talent/personality. She's not the least busy H!P member, I just don't post the stuff she does because even solo MM stuff is boring these days.
</blockquote>

Probably. I mean she'll probably stay until she graduates high school, maybe longer, so she still has time. And I just remembered that she just graduated middle school, maybe she simply did not have the time to actually do much stuff. But who's less busy than Akane? I can't think of any TV shows she's in and the only radio show that comes to mind is the 12th gen one.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I've seen her on a few random tv shows and magazines. Some girls don't even have that. Not that the average H!P girl is loaded with solo stuff anyway.

If I had to pick the least busy group as a whole, not including music stuff, and that's not Tsubaki (since they're new), I'd say it's probably JJ. Karin and Akari do a rare gravure shoot but other than that they don't do shit.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Ah, I see. I thought you meant in MM. 
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="AquaChan"]
The subbed H!S episode where they both talk/getting scolded a few weeks back kinda footage the whole thing, it was sad.
[/quote]

GETTIN THAT PROMOOOO

But yeah, that was pretty much the most interesting part of the whole episode for me. I was glad someone was outright telling them to be more frantic (desperate) about working hard.... But I had to stop and think: how much of it was pure drama? The fact they have it on camera says it all to me... I dunno, I just feel like we'll get a Akane/Haa-chin lead song or something this year and everyone can be like "THE UNDERDOGS! Remember when they got RAMMED by their dance instructor on H!S earlier in the year?! They showed her!" That type of thing. 

I guess we'll see, lol
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

Honestly at this point, 13ki feels better integrated to the group than 12ki is. It's hard to believe 12ki has been there almost 3 years.
Formerly Mizura
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="DonJuan" data-cid="207547" data-time="1494367741">
Ah, I see. I thought you meant in MM.</blockquote>

Oh. In that case, probably her, although if Ogata was younger I suspect they'd be tied. Too soon to say for 13th gen, might not do much one new gen hype dies a bit.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Mizura"]
Honestly at this point, 13ki feels better integrated to the group than 12ki is. It's hard to believe 12ki has been there almost 3 years.
[/quote]

If it feels like 13th are better integrated into MM it's because they are. The reason Kaga and Yokoyama are better integrated is that they both arrived pulling their own weight, whereas half of the 12th are still riding everyone else's coattails -- including those of the junior generation -- two-and-a-half years on. 

The 12th gen almost feels like two separate generations to me, one of which has fully integrated, and one which has not. You have Miki and Maria, both of whom had qualities to make them stand out from the rest of the group on day one: Miki's English and Maria's looks. Then you have Haruna, whose reputation for being a wacky loose-canon on social media never materialized, and Haga, who had... what?

In the past, a girl like Konno had Hello Morning to show something that would mitigate her singing and dancing deficiencies (and dancing was not as big a deal then as it is now, either), but today, if you can neither sing nor dance at a certain level, you really don't have anything to offer other than looks. If you're not more than slightly-above-conventionally-cute, which is really all either of them are, then you really don't have anything to offer. Rika and Sayumi were able to glide by on their looks and odd-ball charms until they found their places. Kusumi was able to get by on looks despite her lack of charm. Maria has gotten by mostly on her looks, although her singing has improved measurably in a way that it has not for either Haga or Ogata. And if you can neither sing nor dance, and don't have stand out looks, then you should probably work harder than everyone else, a la Aika. Neither of them seem like they are working all that hard, tbh.

Meanwhile, Miki and Maria have both improved their singing to the point where they can be relied upon to shoulder a bit of the load now. Neither is particularly good, but they are no longer hopelessly bad, and both show promise of future improvement. More importantly, though, both of them just feel like established members of the group to me now, while Haga and Ogata still feel like rank, overwhelmed n00bs.
Last edited by JPope on Tue May 09, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="JPope"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Mizura" data-cid="207549" data-time="1494374888">
<div>
[/quote]

If it feels like 13th are better integrated into MM it's because they are. The reason Kaga and Yokoyama are better integrated is that they both arrived pulling their own weight, whereas half of the 12th are still riding everyone else's coattails -- including those of the junior generation -- two-and-a-half years on. 

The 12th gen almost feels like two separate generations to me, one of which has fully integrated, and one which has not. You have Miki and Maria, both of whom had qualities to make them stand out from the rest of the group on day one: Miki's English and Maria's looks. Then you have Haruna, whose reputation for being a wacky loose-canon on social media never materialized, and Haga, who had... what?

In the past, a girl like Konno had Hello Morning to show something that would mitigate her singing and dancing deficiencies (and dancing was not as big a deal then as it is now, either), but today, if you can neither sing nor dance at a certain level, you really don't have anything to offer other than looks. If you're not more than slightly-above-conventionally-cute, which is really all either of them are, then you really don't have anything to offer. Rika and Sayumi were able to glide by on their looks and odd-ball charms until they found their places. Kusumi was able to get by on looks despite her lack of charm. Maria has gotten by mostly on her looks, although her singing has improved measurably in a way that it has not for either Haga or Ogata. And if you can neither sing nor dance, and don't have stand out looks, then you should probably work harder than everyone else, a la Aika. Neither of them seem like they are working all that hard, tbh.

Meanwhile, Miki and Maria have both improved their singing to the point where they can be relied upon to shoulder a bit of the load now. Neither is particularly good, but they are no longer hopelessly bad, and both show promise of future improvement. More importantly, though, both of them just feel like established members of the group to me now, while Haga and Ogata still feel like rank, overwhelmed n00bs.

</div>
</blockquote>

Also Kusumi, Sayumi (later on) and Rika all had a very recognizable and obvious character. Same with Maria. It may be an annoying character to some, but it adds value to the group. And I'm not just talking about being "a good speaker" because sure, Ogata is a decent speaker, but she has no character. Again that's not to say she doesn't have charms or characteristics but she herself is not a character like Rika and Kusumi were. Akane has even less of one... Her character is the "little sister" character.... What does that even mean? Just that she's quiet and spoiled? Unless you really work that angle, it's pointless.

But that leads me into my main thought: Even if Ogata and Akane become decent singers or great dancers or have some character... They won't do anything with it. They will not work it. Even Riho, who you could count as "stoic" or "quiet," had a prominent character. It doesn't have to be the traditional burikko one. But you have to do something with ittttttttttt. Stick with it, abuse it, make yourself known.
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Tue May 09, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I agree with all of that. An annoying personality is better than no personality at all, and a willingness to work hard at something is what makes you go places in the entertainment world. Sometimes even that isn't enough. OHaga* have been given an priceless opportunity, but it seems like they're of the mindset that passing the audition was the final step to success. It wasn't -- it was the first step. Of the two, I think Ogata might figure it out, but I don't think either has the talent, personality or drive to stand out. 

I don't think either of them become members if Tsunku were running that audition.

*It's probably "fetch" but I'mma run with it anyway.  :tongue:
Last edited by JPope on Wed May 10, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I'm surprised you think Maria's looks made her a standout when her face very obviously lacks symmetry and there's countless random photos were she looks super awkward. Her recent magazine cover is also terrible. The average Japanese person would probably think much more highly of Ogata's looks.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Anderei"]
I'm surprised you think Maria's looks made her a standout when her face very obviously lacks symmetry and there's countless random photos were she looks super awkward. Her recent magazine cover is also terrible. The average Japanese person would probably think much more highly of Ogata's looks.
[/quote]

Did I wake up in an alternate universe where the majority of the worldwide MM fandom does not consider Maria Makino to be a well above average beauty, and thinks that she was selected primarily based on her looks as a sort of replacement for the outgoing Sayumi? Did that not happen in this universe?

A couple comments from Japanese wota I found via a quick search at WiT

<div>"Everyone would agree that someone like Makino is just the perfect cutie. Anyone could make her their oshi, so what need is there for me to do so?"</div>
<div> </div>
<div>"But now the office also likes to take girls such as Makino and Morito — the type that’s generally recognized as a beautiful female face by the public — so nowadays the definition has changed a little."</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I think you might be misjudging both the idea that asymmetrical faces can also be beautiful, and that the Japanese MoWota consider Maria to be beautiful.</div>