Australian Open

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

kabtx
つばきファクトリー

Australian Open

Post by kabtx »

It's the first major of the tennis season, The Australian Open.

Has anybody watched any of this tournament yet? It's only in its second day, so there is still plenty of action to come.

Of the top 10 Men's players, I have only seen 3 in person (Roddick, Blake, Federer). I would love to see Federer win another Grand Slam to tie Pete Sampras, but I don't know if he has enough to hold off Djokovic or the streaking Andy Murray. And Nadal is healthy again and ready to solidify his hold on the number 1 ranking. The popular pick is Murray. My pick is Roger Federer because he has something to prove. It should be a fun two weeks.

I haven't seen much of the women's draw yet. Both Williams sisters looked good in their opening matches.
The Iron Chef Collection

Every Iron Chef episode that aired on Food Network + other IC related videos - Recently added: Ryori no Tetsu-Musume (Iron Chef Morning Musume-style) Ryori no Tetsu-Kappa (Iron Chef Mini-Moni style), IC Judge Takao Horiuchi on Uta Doki, Beijing Special, Pre-Food Network English subtitled episodes: Apple, Taisho Prawn, Corn Bacon
kabtx
つばきファクトリー

Re: Australian Open

Post by kabtx »

Serena Williams won the women's final easily (6-0, 6-3) over Dinara Safina. I'm really glad I didn't stay up to watch it. (It started at 2:30 AM, my time.) Even speeding through it this morning on the Tivo was boring. It wasn't even competitive at all. It is Sarena's 10th Grand Slam title. With the win, she moves back to No. 1 in the world rankings.

Tonight, Nadal vs. Federer. I'm hoping for another classic battle between these two.
The Iron Chef Collection

Every Iron Chef episode that aired on Food Network + other IC related videos - Recently added: Ryori no Tetsu-Musume (Iron Chef Morning Musume-style) Ryori no Tetsu-Kappa (Iron Chef Mini-Moni style), IC Judge Takao Horiuchi on Uta Doki, Beijing Special, Pre-Food Network English subtitled episodes: Apple, Taisho Prawn, Corn Bacon
Special Needs Tricycle
ANGERME

Post by Special Needs Tricycle »

Maaan, I haven't been following tennis recently, since I don't have The Tennis Channel on my new cable, but I've been watching the Australian Open this year and god damn do I hate the time difference. I could follow the early round play because it was basically all that was on ESPN2, but everything past RO16 was on at 3AM.

The women's draw was a huge disappointment. A bunch of the high seeds got knocked out early and the girls who defeated them all lost before the semi-finals. How boring. I wish I could've caught the Zvonareva/Safina match, if only for the hope of seeing Zvonareva throw a temper tantrum and start crying on the court.

I didn't watch much of the men's draw, but I can assume it wasn't all that exciting either with another Nadal/Federer final. Roddick making the semis was interesting though. What happened to Murray? Weren't people making a huge stink over him?
kabtx
つばきファクトリー

Post by kabtx »

Murray went out on the 4th round to the man who eventually lost to Nadal in the semis.

The biggest disappointments of the tournament to me were Venus Williams going out so early, and Novak Djokovic quitting in his match against Andy Roddick.

If this men's final is half as good as the Wimbledon epic they played last year, it will be worth watching.
The Iron Chef Collection

Special Needs Tricycle
ANGERME

Post by Special Needs Tricycle »

Dokic not going further was a disappointment for me. I love an underdog with a good story. Venus going out sucked too. And Novak quitting.

No doubt will the men's final be worth watching, it's just boring to see another Federer/Nadal final on the board.