Movies

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

Vikitty
ANGERME

Re: Movies

Post by Vikitty »

I'm going to see it today and I'm hella excited.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

10 Cloverfield Lane is a very good movie and damn intense. It's also nice to see when a movie actually gives a resolution and doesn't chicken out to give an answer in the end.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

On the whole I really enjoyed Civil War. Even with a lot more characters it managed to not feel as bloated as Batman v Superman, and definitely a lot more fun. However, I did feel like sometimes which side a character was on was based more on "We need them about even" and "Wouldn't it be interesting if these characters had to fight?" than on what kind of position they might have really ended up on. I'm also wondering on some of the wider consequences we'll learn about later. Like, Spider-Man the high schooler who can't tell his aunt anything about his powers, all of a sudden has a billionaire benefactor and will be registered by the government? Hawkeye and Ant-Man are now fugitives from the law, but also fathers. Are they now separated from their kids for years?
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="197292" data-time="1462646077">

10 Cloverfield Lane is a very good movie and damn intense. It's also nice to see when a movie actually gives a resolution and doesn't chicken out to give an answer in the end.
</blockquote>

One of those movies that was bad for my gut, since throughout the whole thing I'm in a "Ugh, things are going to go very bad for these people but I'm not sure exactly how or when" state.

Also, this reminds me of a dumb Twitter account I've recently been exposed to, @LinesOfMovies, which shares the best definitely-real-and-accurate quotes from movies.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Still haven't seen TFA but this is pretty cool.

James Bond > Star Wars

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Mesmerizing.
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="197292" data-time="1462646077">
10 Cloverfield Lane is a very good movie and damn intense. It's also nice to see when a movie actually gives a resolution and doesn't chicken out to give an answer in the end.</blockquote>
I was the only one that stayed awake for that movie when it was at the drive in and its actually really good. The beginning just makes it seem weird but the good parts definately came after my friends fell asleep.
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Wreck it Ralph had no business making me sympathise for the characters as it did. :noway:

The videogame related joke I personally liked the most probably went unnoticed by most people. It's in this scene:
https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/48e3d970-637e-4a06-8d13-bdaa01db3043

aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Anton Yelchin dies in a car accident

Oh what the fuck, I really liked him actually. I think the only young actor I actually liked and recognized. He made a great Kyle Reese, and was good in Star Trek too. Welcome to Club 27 I suppose. :facepalm:

I also wanted to say that the Warcraft movie is actually pretty damn good. Ignore what idiot critics who compare it to LotR and what idiot fanboys butthurt about lore accuracy say and just go see it. It's probably the best video game-based movie ever so far, too.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="198298" data-time="1466367957">Anton Yelchin dies in a car accident</blockquote>
That's sad.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I just recently got into the Star Trek movies, and just watched Into Darkness about a week ago. Chekov is one of my favorite characters so this makes me so sad...
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

The Yelchin thing is so messed up. That Walter Koenig will outlast him in the role of Chekov. That the circumstances of his death sound pretty awful, not just a regular vehicle collision. And personally, that I'm now just old enough that noticing people dying at 27 seems so so young.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Saw the new Ghostbusters last night, really enjoyed it. Not that it skimped on the jokes, but it also had a lot more intricate action scenes than the old movies. Maybe the last time I left the theater that jazzed was Pacific Rim? Having not seen a Paul Feig movie before I went in without much in the way of expectations, which it clearly managed to beat.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Shunji Iwai, the director of All About Lily Chou Chou (and many other fillms) as well as a number of music videos, will be a guest of honour at Japan Film Festival in San Francisco this Sunday. I am excited.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

OUR LITTLE SISTER, a drama directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda, is playing in New York. It's based on a manga called "Umimachi Diary" and is about three 20-something sisters, all working, who live together and travel to the funeral of their estranged father in Yamagata, only to discover a teenage half-sister they didn't know they had. She's quiet, respectful, mature and level-headed. They are so taken with her that they invite her to come live with them in Kamakura and she agrees. It's a pleasant, heart-warming slice-of-life tale. I enjoyed spending time with these women and reveling in the textures of everyday life in Kamakura, where the pace of life is much slower and more easygoing than in Tokyo. The actresses are all great. Their characters are somewhat idealized and they get along much better than I think women in such a situation (where both parents abandoned them) would get along. But that didn't bother me too much.

I wound up going to a Japanese video store in midtown after seeing the movie and I was able to buy a subtitled copy of the movie.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Just watched Shirome, the horror movie starring Momoiro Clover. Immediately after I wrote a review on Amazon (where I streamed it). It follows:

I've really liked some of the director's other movies (Noroi, Occult) and enjoy some idol pop through I don't specifically follow Momoiro Clover, so I figure I'm the target audience for a movie like this. That said, pretty disappointing.

Compared to those other movies I enjoyed, this one lacks subtlety. More jump scares and silly-looking camera effects which kept me from properly suspending my disbelief and letting a real creep work up. And on the other hand it doesn't go far enough in these things to come across as some sort of parody, so it feels like a movie too far from either side of the pool and drowning.

The subtitles also seem to not have been edited by someone with native-level English skills; awkward phrasings and words like "threeteen" show up.
Last edited by JoshuaJSlone on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Gene Wilder died.

Though most seem to remember him as Willy Wonka (or that "meme picture"), for me he will always be the adorable deaf guy in <i>See No Evil, Hear No Evil.</i>
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

My sister and I were just talking about Willie Wonka last night...
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Blazing Saddles was in theaters this weekend. I loved finally having a chance to see it on the big screen.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

As a kid I was really into the Power Rangers. Watching the show each week, the movie at the cinema, played their SNES brawler and had several toys... and I had a major crush on Amy Jo Johnson, the pink ranger.
Whenever I have a hangover on weekends and wake up early, I check if a Ranger show is on kids TV and when there is, I usually watch it just because I enjoy how stupid it is. It's stupid, but good fun.

When Lionsgate announced a Power Rangers movie, I was afraid it's going to be worthless garbage like the TMNT or Transformers movies.
Two weeks ago a full trailer got released:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-C4qqsgs8w

Doesn't seem campy at all and seems like most of the Snyder-ish/wannabe-Nolan capeshit of recent years. However, it also doesn't look like utter garbage (so far), so I'm cautiously optimistic.

And since I love it so much, here's one of my favourite internet videos of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQKfAWe2rBs
Last edited by Ap2000 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Man, I really liked Independence Day - Resurgence.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I thought Resurgence was kind of a mess, and it was less impactful for having a 2016 incredibly unlike our own 2016 due to the events of the first movie. Still, fun to see the returning characters again.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I don't know this was happening (or forgot about it), but Ghost in the shell is getting a live action movie with Scarlett Johansson and I also spotted Kitano Takeshi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUtG93BebJ4

Seems to be a 1:1 remake of the first movie, kinda pointless.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Yeah, fiance dug that up on the Youtube and showed me the trailer today.

Frankly, I'm glad it's shaping up to be an exact remake. Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell can't be improved upon, so why bother.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

[quote="Ap2000"]
Seems to be a 1:1 remake of the first movie, kinda pointless.
[/quote]

Speaking of which...
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Just saw Green Room. I haven't felt this miserable and gloomy while and after watching a movie in a long time.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

Saw The Secret Life of Pets today, it was really cute! Gidget is one of my new favorite animated characters etched into my heart, adore her.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="arcobaleno" data-cid="204009" data-time="1483852458">Saw The Secret Life of Pets today, it was really cute! Gidget is one of my new favorite animated characters etched into my heart, adore her.</blockquote>
You should have watched Life of Pi instead!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="206292" data-time="1489878835">AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAKE IT STOP!!!!!</blockquote>Fuck everything. Can we all just take off and nuke the whole planet from the orbit?

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

I just added Your Name as the 15th entry ranked "Masterpiece" on my anime watch log. That makes it the 3rd entry by Makoto Shinkai in this elite club, thus matching the record set by Studio Ghibli - or beating it if you get technical about Nausicaa not being a Ghibli movie.

Anyway, Your Name is having a pretty wide release in theatres in the US right now (opened last Friday) so you must ABSOLUTELY GO SEE IT if it's playing in your area. No excuses will be tolerated.

I hate the cliché saying that "Shinkai is the new Miyazaki", BUT, he is right up there among the great auteurs of anime such as indeed Miyazaki, Kon, Anno, and Oshii to name a few.

Your Name is absolutely visually spectacular, and emotionally gripping, heartbreaking and soothing at the same time. If you've been following Shinkai's career and craving for more every since Voices of a Distant Star you would rightfully expect all those trademarks of his, however in Your Name they are polished to perfection and delivered flawlessly in just the right doses. The movie treads the fine line, or rather the bleeding edge of suspension of disbelief or plain old jumping the shark, but then it turns it around in the most graceful way only to reveal each time that the picture you expected it to paint was indeed much, much grander. The armchair critic in the back of my head sat terrified expecting the movie to trip over itself and vanish in the trope minefield more than a few times, yet it managed to deliver a flawless 10/10 execution and performance all the way through to the end. As I sat through the rolling credits I didn't know which feeling was stronger, the disbelief that it actually pulled it off, or the immense satisfaction from what I have just witnessed.

I'm afraid Shinkai will have a very hard time topping his own creation - but I'm waiting for him to surprise me. It wouldn't be the first time he did.

And now that I can get off of my high horse I'd also like to say that Shin Godzilla is a better Evangelion movie than all the Rebuilds put together. :lmfao:

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん