Movies

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

WonderBuono
ANGERME

Re: Movies

Post by WonderBuono »

I'm so pumped for Star Wars; rather than counting down the days till Christmas, I've been counting down the days till the movie release. :D

Like many I grew up watching Star Wars (literally don't remember the first time I watched a Star Wars movie -- they've just always been part of my life); my sister and I watched the movies so many times we broke all of our original trilogy VHS tapes. I was telling my sister the other day that it's going to be kind of weird watching a new Star Wars movie as an adult, since I'm likely to be way more critical of it now (heck I've already criticized parts of the trailers). But I love the series so much I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I'd love to see TFA at a cinema, but mostly probably they're only going to show it in fucking 3D around here.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

^Yay 3D! :wota:  Every time I go to see a 3D movie the cashiers have to ask "It's in 3D, is that okay?", but when I went to see Creed nobody asked if I could handle being forced to watch a flattie.

I was old enough to be adult-or-nearly-so for the last trilogy, so the odd thing for me will be I won't be going to see it with my friend who now lives a couple hours away. In high school we were among the dorkuses who skipped (my only time) to see The Phantom Menace. We saw Attack of the Clones during a final exams week in college. By Revenge of the Sith we were employed, but still went to a midnight showing.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing this time. I've checked the schedules and there are a couple Thursday night showings I could catch before my third shift job starts--but they are closed captioned, which could be pretty distracting as someone who doesn't need it.

I'm anticipating the movie, for sure, but I'm also a bit skeptical. For one, I'm a bigger Star Wars fan now than I was 10-20 years ago, but that's largely due to EU/Legends content which has since necessarily been ejected from canon. Also I'm a bigger Star Trek fan and am kind of iffy about J.J.'s Star Treks.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JoshuaJSlone" data-cid="193294" data-time="1449449522">
^Yay 3D! :wota: Every time I go to see a 3D movie the cashiers have to ask "It's in 3D, is that okay?", but when I went to see Creed nobody asked if I could handle being forced to watch a flattie.
</blockquote>

Ha, they probably only ask that because 3D costs more. I don't really mind either one -- 3D looks a tiny bit cooler but I get annoyed wearing those glasses. So I just watch whichever one has the more convenient show time.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="193124" data-time="1448624539">When I interviewed Satoshi Kon</blockquote>
Well shit... :wut: Anything else I could say would be infinitely insignificant next to that, so I'll just shut up. :lol:

And I don't think I ever watched anything with Frank Sinatra.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JoshuaJSlone" data-cid="193294" data-time="1449449522">Every time I go to see a 3D movie the cashiers have to ask "It's in 3D, is that okay?", but when I went to see Creed nobody asked if I could handle being forced to watch a flattie.</blockquote>
I think you are the first person I know who prefers 3D.

Avatar was the first film I watched in 3D and it was amazing. I did see a few more since then (both converted as well as shot in 3D from the start) and invariably it was an annoying and disappointing experience. I'll only go see 3D now if there is absolutely no alternative and I absolutely need to see that film in a cinema.

I still don't know what Avatar did right or what other films are doing wrong, but I gave up trying and filed 3D in the "annoying gimmick" drawer.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="193120" data-time="1448568922"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="193119" data-time="1448561607">As opposed to other 70mm formats which became commercially successful and mainstream and are being used all the time to film certain scenes or even longer segments (Chritopher Nolan uses it extensively). But then it doesn't have the same ring to it.</blockquote>
I know IMAX and some other formats are also shot in 70mm (IMAX is 4:3), but from my knowledge they are all just shown as a digital version (2K, 4K etc.) nowadays anyway and not a copy on actual 70mm film.
That's what I meant.</blockquote>
That's fair enough. I just couldn't resist taking a jab at Tarantino. :lol:

But on a second thought, despite my scepticism about him and his works (other than Pulp Fiction), I'm glad he's doing it just for the increased film (vs digital) awareness of the movie-going crowds. And with his popularity he's a pretty desirable advocate to have too.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I do realize I am something of an outlier.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

My sister and I started our pre-Episode 7 Star Wars catch-up/review marathon (idk what to call it) today. Of course we've seen these movies so many times we don't even pay that much attention to the story, we just make stupid jokes and quote lines before they actually happen. But it's at least helping me keep calm and stay busy while waiting for the 18th.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Don't forget the Holiday Special!
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="Madara"]
I was debating whether to put this in Music Chat Spam or here, but since I'm linking to actual movie clips, I'll put it here.

I wanted to alert all of you to the fact that next Saturday, December 12, will mark the centennial of Frank Sinatra, who died in 1998. I'm planning to devote an entry on my film blog to a tribute to Ol' Blue Eyes, as he was affectionately known in the later phases of his career.

When I was growing up, Sinatra was like a god to us. In New York, at least, he was way bigger than Elvis Presley and always had been. The Beatles came into our lives, took up our attention and then moved on after a few years, but Sinatra was always there, an icon, a solid anchor of American show biz, and continued to have Top Ten hits throughout the '60s and '70s.

I went to see the Rat Pack movie, ROBIN AND THE SEVEN HOODS, as a child 50 years ago, which came out in between the two Beatles movies, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT and HELP!, and even then I knew who the real men of music were. Just check out this high-def clip of Sinatra, Dean Martin and Bing Crosby singing "Style" from this movie:

https://youtu.be/89GtOJABVS4

I left the theater singing lines from that song.

And, even better, here's quintessential Sinatra, singing Cole Porter's "Just One of Those Things" to perfection after getting jilted by Doris Day (another icon) in YOUNG AT HEART (1954):

https://youtu.be/ZICFsXjajk8

I'll let you know when my blog entry is up.
[/quote]

I just learned that Sinatra did a concert at the Budokan arena in Tokyo in April 1985, the same month that Yossi was born.

I love making connections like that.

And is there not something Sinatra-esque in Yossi's performance in "Mr. Moonlight"?

Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

My Sinatra centennial piece is up on my film blog:

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2015/12/12/frank-sinatra-centennial/

Last edited by Madara on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I've been watching a lot of movies ever since I started my new work this summer, but I want to point out one movie in particular:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

The too few people that watched this low budget movie compare it to K-pax, but it is much better than that (except for also having a wonky ending).
It's about a man that tells his friends that he's been living for 14.000 years.
If I didn't know it any better, I would have guessed it's based on a famous SciFi book, it's just that intriguing.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="193437" data-time="1449939695">
If I didn't know it any better, I would have guessed it's based on a famous SciFi book, it's just that intriguing.
</blockquote>

Looks like the screenplay was by a well-regarded writer of sci-fi short stories and television, though. Given the description of the movie you linked, it seems especially notable that he wrote an episode of the original Star Trek with someone claiming to be over 6,000 years old.

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Yes, he wrote/dictate the screenplay shortly before he died.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

[quote="Ap2000"]
I've been watching a lot of movies ever since I started my new work this summer, but I want to point out one movie in particular:

The too few people that watched this low budget movie compare it to K-pax, but it is much better than that (except for also having a wonky ending).
[/quote]

It sounds really interesting. Adding it to movies I'd like to see.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="Ap2000"]

[/quote]

For a movie I never heard of to get 618 reviews on IMDB is kind of mind-boggling. And it seems like most of them are wildly enthusiastic. Did "The Man from Earth" ever get released in theaters? I don't remember it at all. One reviewer said he saw it at San Diego Comic Con in 2007. Did it ever play on cable? How did word about this spread? Does it have some kind of religious following? One poster calls it a Christian film. Another calls it a "Born-again Christian TV movie." So I guess it played on the Christian circuit (whatever that entails). I don't mean this as criticism, it's just that I can't imagine any other way an unknown film gets so many reviews and so many favorable ratings. Jerome Bixby's involvement intrigues me, though. There's a comment from his grandson on the site.
Last edited by Madara on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I don't want to give away anything about the religious aspects of the movie, but I wouldn't call it "a Christian movie".
I read about it on a "contemporary must see SciFi movies" list I've seen on a forum and it sounded interesting.
Considering the budget was only 200k $, I'm sure the movie only had a very limited release. I read the main character's name (John Oldman) as Gary Oldman for some reason and was surprised to not see him as the main lead. haha It wasn't until a few minutes in that I realized that I misread it.

I actually liked it so much that I went to the movie's website and donated 4$, something I've never before done for a movie.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

Has anyone seen the new Star Wars movie yet? I saw it and want to talk about it without spoiling people.
Formerly Mizura
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Saw it last night. Heading out to see it with friends again soon, and yet again Saturday night. Absolutely loved it. Rey is my one true waifu.

Also, Duu is super hype for it. Can't wait to hear her talk about it.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I won't be able to see it till Sunday. The wait is killing me. I'm completely avoiding Facebook for fear of any spoilers.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I haven't watched anything about TFA except for the first real trailer.
Unfortunately, I just got something very big spoilered about one of the old cast in a Steam community forum that has absolutely nothing to do with Star Wars.

Guess edgelords are everywhere.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I hadn't really seen many of the trailers so I went in not really knowing what to expect. But it lived up to it and I thought it was better than the prequel movies.
Formerly Mizura
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I feel like I unlocked an achievement by seeing the movie before being significantly spoiled. I don't think I liked it as much as most people I've seen reactions from, but that'll be better to talk about once more have seen it.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

We won't really be able to see it until next month, so I'm thankful people are being so nice about spoilers, haha

Even on Facebook, which I've spent an inordinate amount of time on lately, I haven't seen any spoilers yet. I have heard from more than a few people that it's better than the original movies, so I'm getting more excited to see it! It's been a while since I've been hyped to see something in theaters, so I'm thankful just for that bit already!
Last edited by showraniy on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

I got spoiled on Youtube, argh. Pretty big spoiler but I'm sure there's more to it.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

I saw it last night and managed to get to it without any spoilers. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

While all you fanboys and fangirls are spazzing out over Star Wars, I was watching the only movie franchise in which every installment is worth waiting for.

POKÉMON THE MOVIE: HOOPA AND THE CLASH OF AGESpremiered on the Cartoon Network last night. It's set in a Middle Eastern country and is about some kind of genie Pokemon, which has a monstrous version of itself trapped in a bottle.

It features the cast of Pokémon the Series XY, plus a brother-and-sister team who have known Hoopa since their childhood.

WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Well, I saw Star Wars. I was literally speechless for a while by the end of it. Not really sure why because that never happens to me, but I guess my brain was still having trouble processing everything. (This is how seriously I take Star Wars, y'all.)

I'll try to post some of my thoughts about it tomorrow after I've had more time to think about everything. :D
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Duu watched Star Wars and loved it.

She's such a Dark Side fangirl.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Just saw Force Awakens. I rate it as the 3rd best installment of the franchise. It's goddamn good.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I went and saw it yesterday. It's actually the first Star Wars film I've ever seen.
<p class="bbc_center">Image