Korean / Japanese Musicals

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

nihonjin_berryz
つばきファクトリー

Korean / Japanese Musicals

Post by nihonjin_berryz »

I haven't personally watched any. But does anyone know any worth seeing musicals; kind of like Grease or even High School Musical?
[center]Image[/center]
AEUGNewtype
ANGERME

Re: Korean / Japanese Musicals

Post by AEUGNewtype »

The only musical that I've seen from either country and very much enjoyed was Princess Raccoon (Operetta tanuki goten) from Japan. I wrote a review about it on my flixster thing on facebook, so I'll post that here:

"This was one of the funnest movies I've seen in a really long time, and Suzuki really puts his style to work here, with probably 50% of the movie shot on a green screen and filled in with great traditional Japanese artwork and sometimes with actual film. The movie has a feel like you're watching a stage play most of the time, which is an extremely unique and fun feel that I haven't seen anywhere else. It may not be for everyone, but I had an absolute blast watching. And the music, as most people know or may recognize, this is like a play/musical, and the music is absolutely phenomenal. I want the soundtrack badly. The music and dances range from kabuki and enka to rap, broadway musicals, modern pop, and kids songs in a way that is hugely enjoyable and somehow cohesive. There wasn't as much singing as I thought there'd be, but when there were the musical interludes, I was blown away. My only complaint is that it ran a little long near the middle/end, but that's a pretty minor complaint. There were also a lot of Japanese cultural references (pop as well as traditional) and humor that a lot of people may not catch, but had me laughing out loud. And how could you NOT love a movie with Papaya Suzuki playing a ukelele? I sure as hell couldn't. "

I heard Happiness of the Katakuris was really good, but I'm not really fond of Japanese films at all, so I haven't seen a whole ton of them. I don't think I've actually come across a Korean musical, either