Japan Golden Disc Awards 2009

We listen to stuff outside of H!P? What?!?

Moderator: tsukinobyouin

tsukinobyouin
ANGERME

Japan Golden Disc Awards 2009

Post by tsukinobyouin »

I swear they just had one of these, but maybe it was something else with similar categories. Anyway, this is put together by the RIAJ on this site here. They have lists of Japanese artists alongside foreign artists for some categories, which I find kind of interesting, especially since the foreign artists (read: US artists) they choose are not necessarily the ones that would have gotten picked had this same set of awards been done in the US.

It seems that they have a winner in each category, and then a "best 10" or "best 5" for the same category - I'm assuming those are the "nominees," but I'm not clear on how these awards are decided.

Artist of the Year:

Japanese: EXILE

Foreign: Madonna

New Artist of the Year:

Japanese: Shuuchishin

Foreign: Leona Lewis

The Best 10 New Artists of the Year (Japanese):

Aladdin, GIRL NEXT DOOR, Kimaguren, Kiyama Yuusaku, Kusuo, Jero, Shimizu Shota, Shuuchishin, flumpool, Lil'B

The Best 3 New Artists (Foreign):

Elliott Yamin, Flo Rida, Leona Lewis

The Best Enka/Folk Artists:

Jero, Hikawa Kiyoshi

The Best Enka/Folk Special Award:

Akimoto Junko

Single of the Year:

Japanese: truth/Kaze no Mukou e (Arashi)

Foreign: U-u-uma uma (Caramel) (Haaahahahaha)

The Best 10 Singles:

Soba ni Iru ne (Aoyama Thelma feat. SoulJa), truth/Kaze no Mukou e (Arashi), One Love (Arashi), Beautiful days (Arashi), DON'T U EVER STOP (KAT-TUN), LIPS (KAT-TUN), Kiseki (Greeeen), I AM YOUR SINGER (Southern All Stars), HANABI (Mr. Children), GIFT (Mr. Children)

Chaku Uta (Ringtone) of the year:

Japanese: Kiseki (Greeeen)

Foreign: Miles Away (Madonna)

The Best 5 Chaku Uta of the year:

Prisoner of Love (Utada Hikaru), The Birthday ~Ti Amo~ (EXILE), Kiseki (Greeeen), Sunao ni Naretara (JUJU feat. Spontania), Gake no Ue no Ponyo (Fujioka Fujimaki to Oohashi Nozomi)

Chaku Uta Full (cellphone download of a full song) of the Year:

Japanese: Soba ni Iru ne (Aoyama Thelma feat. SoulJa)

The Best 5 Chaku Uta Full songs:

Soba ni Iru ne (Aoyama Thelma feat. SoulJa), Prisoner of Love (Utada Hikaru), The Birthday ~Ti Amo~ (EXILE), Kiseki (Greeen), Gake no Ue no Ponyo (Fujioka Fujimaki to Oohashi Nozomi)

PC Download of the Year:

Japanese: Soba ni Iru ne (Aoyama Thelma feat. SoulJa)

The Best 5 PC Download Songs:

Soba ni Iru ne (Aoyama Thema feat. SoulJa), Prisoner of Love (Utada Hikaru), LIFE (Kimaguren), Kiseki (Greeen), Ai wo Komete Hanataba wo (Superfly)

Album of the Year:

Japanese: EXILE BALLAD BEST (EXILE)

Foreign: Viva la Vida (Coldplay)

The Best 10 Albums (Japanese):

BEST FICTION (Amuro Namie), HEART STATION (Utada Hikaru), EXILE ENTERTAINMENT BEST (EXILE), EXILE CATCHY BEST (EXILE), EXILE BALLAD BEST (EXILE), Aa domo. Ohisashiburi desu. (Greeeen), Expressions (Takeuchi Mariya), Ayu COMPLETE ~ALL SINGLES~ (Hamasaki Ayumi), B'z The Best ~ULTRA Pleasure~ (B'z), SUPERMARKET FANTASY (Mr. Children)

The Best 3 Albums (Foreign):

Viva la Vida (Coldplay), Year of the Gentleman (Ne-Yo), Hard Candy (Madonna)

I left out a few categories like "Jazz album of the year", "Instrumental Album of the Year", etc. since probably no one cares. It's interesting how the top downloads/ringtones are almost totally different from the top songs overall (which I assume are based on sales, since this is done by the RIAJ).
Last edited by tsukinobyouin on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p style="text-align:center;">Image

[personal blog | fandom tumblr | sailor moon stuff | coming soon - store!]

Banner by Miss Moonlight♥
peachgirldb
カントリー・ガールズ

Re: Japan Golden Disc Awards 2009

Post by peachgirldb »

Wow, Elliott Yamin is such a random person to be on there. xD
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

[quote name='TnB' post='61881' date='Mar 9 2009, 12:36 PM']It seems that they have a winner in each category, and then a "best 10" or "best 5" for the same category - I'm assuming those are the "nominees," but I'm not clear on how these awards are decided.[/quote]

It's determined by sales.
Kaworu
Juice=Juice

Post by Kaworu »

Why are they giving 2009 awards when we're in march? :S
tsukinobyouin
ANGERME

Post by tsukinobyouin »

[quote name='Kaworu' post='61903' date='Mar 9 2009, 05:58 PM']Why are they giving 2009 awards when we're in march? :S[/quote]

It reflects on the previous year. I'm not sure why they choose to wait into the next year to do them instead of doing them at the end of the year though.
<p style="text-align:center;">Image

[personal blog | fandom tumblr | sailor moon stuff | coming soon - store!]

Banner by Miss Moonlight♥
AEUGNewtype
ANGERME

Post by AEUGNewtype »

Wow, what a horrible list. If this is determined by sales, it just shows that the Japanese public's opinion on music is just as bad as the Americans'.
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

Can I just say that watching Last Friends sucked because of Utada's whiny "PRISONER OF LOOVVVEEE JUST A PRISONER OF LOVE" would waft in at every dramatic moment?
Last edited by eri on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.