Amazon starts selling Xbox Live games directly

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

sadude
ANGERME

Amazon starts selling Xbox Live games directly

Post by sadude »

http://www.amazon.com/xboxlive

Anyone else seen this today? Instead of buying points cards with the stupid obfuscated amounts, you can now search for and buy a specific game on Amazon for how much it costs in dollars (not sure if it works outside of the US). They then give you a code (on the screen or via email, not sure), which you put into your system right away to redeem the game you just bought. No stupid cards being shipped to you, no extra points left over, no dumb conversion between points and dollar value, and so on. Really smart, and something they should've had from the beginning.

They also sell points (if you need those for DLC) and Gold memberships, too. They just email you the code for these as well.

Anyone else care or planning on using this?
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Re: Amazon starts selling Xbox Live games directly

Post by al kusanagi »

I've used the points for so long that I'm pretty much used to them by now. Things aren't any better on the PS3 in similar respects. The PS3 titles cost real money, not points, but you have to add money to your account in certain amounts. That's to say, if a game cost $6, you still have to drop $10 into the account to buy it.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
AEUGNewtype
ANGERME

Post by AEUGNewtype »

I'll definitely consider using this in the future, because it is annoying being stuck with random point amounts. Also on a plus, doesn't Amazon have dgift cards? If some people were to get those for one reason or another (if they exist) it would be pretty cool to be able to buy Live content. They do need to work in some stuff for DLC, but there's so much DLC out there, I couldn't even imagine what a daunting task that would be to include all of it, and if you didn't include all of it, people would get pissy and say "WHY ISN'T MY FAVORITE GAMES' DLC ON THERE," etc.
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

[quote name='Al Kusanagi' post='63526' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:28 AM']I've used the points for so long that I'm pretty much used to them by now. Things aren't any better on the PS3 in similar respects. The PS3 titles cost real money, not points, but you have to add money to your account in certain amounts. That's to say, if a game cost $6, you still have to drop $10 into the account to buy it.[/quote]

That's not true. The minimum purchase is $5, but above that you can pay the exact amount.