Anybody heard of Sannin Musume?

We listen to stuff outside of H!P? What?!?

Moderator: tsukinobyouin

Madara
ANGERME

Anybody heard of Sannin Musume?

Post by Madara »

In the autobiographical manga, “A Drifting Life,” author Yoshihiro Tatsumi makes a reference to a Japanese singing group from the 1950s, a female trio called Sannin Musume, consisting of Hibari Misora, Chiemi Eri and Izumi Yukimura. I looked them up on IMDB and learned that they made musicals for Toho Pictures, including JANKEN MUSUME (1955), ROMANSU MUSUME (1956) and OATARI SANSHOKU MUSUME (1957). I’ve heard of Hibari Misora before and I even have a CD of hers. The other two are new to me, although I now think I should catch up on them, too. According to IMDB, Izumi Yukimura appeared on two American variety shows, “The Ed Sullivan Show” and the “The Dinah Shore Chevy Show.” All three members of Sannin Musume were born in 1937, so they were in their teens in their movies together.

I’m going to go to Book Off this week and try to find a CD of theirs. I just wonder if anyone here had heard their music.

In trying to i.d. their movies, I came across another Japanese act, a singing trio of sisters called either Kashimashi Sannin Musume or simply the Kashimashi Sisters. They were in a movie called WOMAN OF OSAKA (1958) and appeared together on a talk show in Japan called “Bokura no Jidai” this past July 12, some 51 years after their movie. Anybody heard of them as well?

I wonder if Tsunku was inspired by either of these earlier acts.

EDIT: I just searched the CDJapan site and found a more recent act that uses the name:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search3.html?q=sa...core&media=

But they didn't have anything by the old act.
Last edited by Madara on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
eri
ANGERME

Re: Anybody heard of Sannin Musume?

Post by eri »

Wow, I haven't heard of them but a friend very recently emailed me about this group. She also came upon them in a book and asked me if I had heard about them (since I <3 Morning Musume). Let me know if you hear anything more...
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

My blog includes a look at the Sannin Musume movie, JANKEN MUSUME (1955), which I finally got hold of. It's quite a revelation.

Here are some previews:

Here's Hibari Misora singing "La Vie en Rose."

And here are all three members of Sannin Musume, Hibari Misora, Izumi Yukimura, and Chiemi Eri, singing the title song while riding a "roller coaster." (Didn't some members of Morning Musume end up somewhere similar, back when they did a little show called "Hello Morning"?)
Last edited by Madara on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AEUGNewtype
ANGERME

Post by AEUGNewtype »

I have actually been somewhat familiar with the group but didn't know a whole lot, and your screenshots are enough to make me buy this, which I'll be doing later this week. I posted a reply on your blog as well, but the composition of all the shots in the screen caps you posted look gorgeous and I can't resist. I don't know if you read this place or your blog more, so I'll posted the rest of my post there on this board as well.

Also, if you're into this, you may also want to check out Pink Lady's movie from 1978, which is very similar for many reasons, though obviously the music is much more disco-oriented. I don't remember if you're a fan of Pink Lady or not, but you'd probably have even more reference to their work from how many of their songs Hello! Project has covered, especially W. Their movie has a pretty similar to this, where the two girls get put into a plethora of ridiculous scenarios while trying to come up with a decision of what kind of movie they should make. Kinda like a movie-within-a-movie. But they burst into about 12 of their most popular singles and have full-on dance routines and crazy sets straight out of a Hollywood musical except it obviously goes with their fantastic music instead. It only has Japanese subtitles as well, but the plot is far from the most important part.

And an update, since I remember after I posted on your blog, that CDJapan hadn't had the DVD of Pink Lady in stock for years, I actually had to order it from YesAsia, and it looks like they still do have some in stock, so I would definitely suggest picking it up if you want another great look at Jpop history. Link to the item is here:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/pink-lady-no-kat...-0-en/info.html
Last edited by AEUGNewtype on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sadude
ANGERME

Post by sadude »

[quote name='The☆AEUGNewtype' post='72462' date='Dec 3 2009, 12:03 AM']Also, if you're into this, you may also want to check out Pink Lady's movie from 1978,[/quote]

Man, that sounds fantastic. I need to try and find that (in a video rental place in the city or at BookOff, perhaps).
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

The current price for JANKEN MUSUME on CDJapan is $45.61. Steep, but it's such a rare film I had to spring for it, even without subtitles.

I have the Pink Lady movie on DVD. No subtitles. I bought it at HQ Video, a Japanese rental store in Manhattan (21. W. 45 St., 2nd floor). I haven't watched it yet. I checked it when I first bought it to see how many musical numbers it had and just to see what kind of film it was. I had forgotten all about it till you reminded me. I have to dig it out and watch it once my class finishes next week.

Also, I purchased from YesAsia a DVD--with English subs.--of Japan's first color movie, CARMEN COMES HOME (1951). I have yet to watch it, but I took a few screen grabs anyway. It looks really intriguing. It's a comedy with songs about a stripper who goes back to her hometown in rural Japan where they think she's a real dancer. It stars Hideko Takamine as Carmen.

When I watch it, I'll do a blog entry on it. Until then, here's a shot of Carmen, newly arrived in town, on a wagon ride to her family home, singing as she goes:

Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I watched CARMEN COMES HOME (1951) and did a blog entry on it, with some screen grabs. Quite a lovely movie.