TV thread!

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

michisings
Kenshuusei

Re: TV thread!

Post by michisings »

[quote="Madara"]
In last night's episode, Corki (Erika Tham), the secretive honor student from, presumably, Mainland China, falls under the influence of the cheerleaders and starts dressing, styling and talking like them. It's pretty damned funny and the dialogue is pretty clever. I know it's a standard teen sitcom trope, but I love the way the actress played it. And Megan Lee (as Sun Hi) is really winning me over. She really knows how to get the laughs and make us like her even when she's at her most attention-whoring. Also, Jared, the self-loving jock, is starting to behave more and more like a human being. 

Oh, and I don't mind Jodi's raps, either.  :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I haven't seen the episode yet but yeah~ a standard trope. But I still look forward to watching it. This show is becoming more and more like a guilty pleasure for me. I am glad you are feeling that way for Sun Hi. I was not expecting that since I know she is usually an acquired taste. But the more ridiculous she is, the more I want to know why and where this is coming from. I am more of a Caleb fan, but I am curious what you mean about Jared. :O

I never paid attention to the raps much I admit. It is not my genre, so I never felt adequate about commenting. I don't know what is good or bad ... though I admit there are some rappers I roll my eyes to. 

@WonderBuono LOL Like I said above, I don't feel adequate to critic rapping. But I thought Cheesiness was a given. I didn't think it was as strange as some of Justin Bieber's rap lyrics if I remember correctly ...

<div> •*/) /) </div>
<div>ฅ(• - •)ฅうん•*¨*•. Usa-chan PEACE!♬ </div>
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="michisings"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="187156" data-time="1429036405">
<div>
In last night's episode, Corki (Erika Tham), the secretive honor student from, presumably, Mainland China, falls under the influence of the cheerleaders and starts dressing, styling and talking like them. It's pretty damned funny and the dialogue is pretty clever. I know it's a standard teen sitcom trope, but I love the way the actress played it. And Megan Lee (as Sun Hi) is really winning me over. She really knows how to get the laughs and make us like her even when she's at her most attention-whoring. Also, Jared, the self-loving jock, is starting to behave more and more like a human being. 

Oh, and I don't mind Jodi's raps, either.  :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I haven't seen the episode yet but yeah~ a standard trope. But I still look forward to watching it. This show is becoming more and more like a guilty pleasure for me. I am glad you are feeling that way for Sun Hi. I was not expecting that since I know she is usually an acquired taste. But the more ridiculous she is, the more I want to know why and where this is coming from. I am more of a Caleb fan, but I am curious what you mean about Jared. :o

</div>
</blockquote>

Jared's getting more sympathetic and showing regard for other people beside himself, e.g. Corki and Masked Girl, and not being the cartoonish narcissistic jock he was in the first few eps. He's also showing some empathy.

I was distracted by a phone call during last night's episode. I had it on and watched it but missed some key plot points (e.g. why there was a "wall" of sheets strung along the hallway and why everyone had to bunch up in their dorm rooms.)

Still, I did notice that Sun Hi did a lot of physical comedy and I thought she was really good at it. Megan Lee can sing, dance, deliver funny lines, and do slapstick. After this series is over, I'd love to see her in a feature-length family comedy where she gets to use all of those skills. Disney used to make family comedies like that for theaters, long time ago. Also, once upon a time, Hollywood used to make movies where stars like Debbie Reynolds, Doris Day, and Sandra Dee could sing, dance and be funny all in one movie. Why can't we have that again?
Last edited by Madara on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

[quote="Madara"]

<div>

</div>
Jared's getting more sympathetic and showing regard for other people beside himself, e.g. Corki and Masked Girl, and not being the cartoonish narcissistic jock he was in the first few eps. He's also showing some empathy.

I was distracted by a phone call during last night's episode. I had it on and watched it but missed some key plot points (e.g. why there was a "wall" of sheets strung along the hallway and why everyone had to bunch up in their dorm rooms.)

Still, I did notice that Sun Hi did a lot of physical comedy and I thought she was really good at it. Megan Lee can sing, dance, deliver funny lines, and do slapstick. After this series is over, I'd love to see her in a feature-length family comedy where she gets to use all of those skills. Disney used to make family comedies like that for theaters, long time ago. Also, once upon a time, Hollywood used to make movies where stars like Debbie Reynolds, Doris Day, and Sandra Dee could sing, dance and be funny all in one movie. Why can't we have that again?

[/quote]

That is good change then. At least he won't just be the generic jock. Though I do admit that despite that I still found him funny. If he stayed that way, it might have eventually begin to annoy me. 

There might be a replay? Or I can tell you as soon as I watch it. It takes longer for me to watch though since I am in the other side of the world and I have to wait until the bad copies appear in youtube. Hahaha~

Her comedy reminds me of London Tipton, which I don't really see as a bad thing since she had been popular with the Western masses. I am hoping it will get better for Sun Hi. She might be based on London maybe ... but I think she is interesting. 

You like old Hollywood too! Sandra Deeeeee .... talented woman. It is difficult to find her movies though. Do you recommend any of her movies?  

<div> •*/) /) </div>
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="michisings"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="187185" data-time="1429109505">
<div>

<div>

</div>

[/quote]

That is good change then. At least he won't just be the generic jock. Though I do admit that despite that I still found him funny. If he stayed that way, it might have eventually begin to annoy me. 

There might be a replay? Or I can tell you as soon as I watch it. It takes longer for me to watch though since I am in the other side of the world and I have to wait until the bad copies appear in youtube. Hahaha~

Her comedy reminds me of London Tipton, which I don't really see as a bad thing since she had been popular with the Western masses. I am hoping it will get better for Sun Hi. She might be based on London maybe ... but I think she is interesting. 

You like old Hollywood too! Sandra Deeeeee .... talented woman. It is difficult to find her movies though. Do you recommend any of her movies?  

</div>
</blockquote>

Wow, I'm impressed that you know who Sandra Dee is. She's largely forgotten in current pop culture, except maybe for originating the role of GIDGET. Of course, I'm old enough to have seen some of her movies when they first came out! Her masterpieces are GIDGET (of course), A SUMMER PLACE and IMITATION OF LIFE (she had a supporting role in that one). She made a few comedies with her husband back then, popular singer Bobby Darin (from the Bronx, like me). I haven't seen those films in years. (Sadly, Darin, a great singer, died before he was 40, in 1973.) Dee made a comedy called I'D RATHER BE RICH with two other great singers of the era, Andy Williams and Robert Goulet. Her films don't play on TV much anymore and they're hard to find. Too bad. She was really quite amazing.

I missed tonight's episode of "Make It Pop" (I was visiting the local Japanese video store). But I recorded it.
Last edited by Madara on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

[quote="Madara"]

Wow, I'm impressed that you know who Sandra Dee is. She's largely forgotten in current pop culture, except maybe for originating the role of GIDGET. Of course, I'm old enough to have seen some of her movies when they first came out! Her masterpieces are GIDGET (of course), A SUMMER PLACE and IMITATION OF LIFE (she had a supporting role in that one). She made a few comedies with her husband back then, popular singer Bobby Darin (from the Bronx, like me). I haven't seen those films in years. (Sadly, Darin, a great singer, died before he was 40, in 1973.) Dee made a comedy called I'D RATHER BE RICH with two other great singers of the era, Andy Williams and Robert Goulet. Her films don't play on TV much anymore and they're hard to find. Too bad. She was really quite amazing.

I missed tonight's episode of "Make It Pop" (I was visiting the local Japanese video store). But I recorded it.

[/quote]
I found her by accident. I was looking at Marilyn Monroe vids and Hepburn (Both  much more popular in pop culture) and found a vid of her singing as Tammy? I don't even know what movie it was from. Do you know? I might look out for it.

It is so sad she is so forgotten since she is one of those singer/actresses that didn't have their voice dubbed over. I have heard of Doris Day but not much. 

Lucky~ I am still waiting. Hahaha~ torrenting it because it is not even shown in the Philippines yet. 

<div> •*/) /) </div>
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="michisings"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="187214" data-time="1429144790">
<div>

[/quote]
I found her by accident. I was looking at Marilyn Monroe vids and Hepburn (Both  much more popular in pop culture) and found a vid of her singing as Tammy? I don't even know what movie it was from. Do you know? I might look out for it.

It is so sad she is so forgotten since she is one of those singer/actresses that didn't have their voice dubbed over. I have heard of Doris Day but not much. 

Lucky~ I am still waiting. Hahaha~ torrenting it because it is not even shown in the Philippines yet. 

</div>
</blockquote>

Sandra Dee made two Tammy movies, TAMMY TELL ME TRUE (1961) and TAMMY AND THE DOCTOR (1963). Debbie Reynolds played the role first, in TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR (1957). These films used to play on TV in the U.S. when I was young, but I haven't seen them in years. There was a Tammy TV show, starring Debbie Watson, which I used to watch when I was in junior high school. IIRC, Tammy was a backwoods girl who has experiences out in the larger world.

Dee in one of her later movies:
Last edited by Madara on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="michisings"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="187214" data-time="1429144790">
<div>

[/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

Speaking of which, Michisings, I was curious to see if you agreed with me in thinking that Louriza Tronco, who plays Jodi, is of Filipino ancestry. She's from Canada, according to her short IMDB bio, but they don't say anything more than that.

michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

[quote="Madara"]

<div>

</div>
Sandra Dee made two Tammy movies, TAMMY TELL ME TRUE (1961) and TAMMY AND THE DOCTOR (1963). Debbie Reynolds played the role first, in TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR (1957). These films used to play on TV in the U.S. when I was young, but I haven't seen them in years. There was a Tammy TV show, starring Debbie Watson, which I used to watch when I was in junior high school. IIRC, Tammy was a backwoods girl who has experiences out in the larger world.
[/quote]
I think what I saw was a clip for Tell Me True, since that was the title of the song. I don't if I will have any luck finding them though. Unless I wait around in the TLC channel, unfortunately I don't have cable. ;w; Oh well~ will search in a while. But so far, most torrents don't have seeders. -huhubells-

I actually do think Jodi's actress has Filipina ancestry. She especially looks like it when she doesn't have a lot of make up on. 

<div> •*/) /) </div>
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Friday night's episode of "Make It Pop" was about the kids' staging a secret Homecoming at the roller rink after the scheduled event was canceled because Caleb blew a hole in the gym floor (I missed Wed.'s episode so I don't know how that happened). The highlight was Sun Hi's solo at the Homecoming. Very nice song and performance. I get more impressed with Megan Lee with each episode.

Thursday night's episode had an interesting subplot about Sun Hi being notified that she's been granted a transfer to a school for gifted students. She's initially excited about it but soon realizes that she'll be leaving her friends and the group they've formed so she eventually decides to decline the transfer. It would have been enough of a plot for a whole episode, but instead, they squeeze in a couple of other subplots, so the main plot gets short shrift.
michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

[quote="Madara"]
Friday night's episode of "Make It Pop" was about the kids' staging a secret Homecoming at the roller rink after the scheduled event was canceled because Caleb blew a hole in the gym floor (I missed Wed.'s episode so I don't know how that happened). The highlight was Sun Hi's solo at the Homecoming. Very nice song and performance. I get more impressed with Megan Lee with each episode.

Thursday night's episode had an interesting subplot about Sun Hi being notified that she's been granted a transfer to a school for gifted students. She's initially excited about it but soon realizes that she'll be leaving her friends and the group they've formed so she eventually decides to decline the transfer. It would have been enough of a plot for a whole episode, but instead, they squeeze in a couple of other subplots, so the main plot gets short shrift.
[/quote]
I waited to watch the episodes before replying~ During the Genius Episode, I was really expecting them to take it back at the last minute and say it was a calculation mistake since it was a popular trope for this kind of episode. I am so glad they didn't! It made her more than just the butt of every joke at least. I didn't want that. I still enjoy watching this so far~! My problem is that I also noticed they have been recycling songs ... and my earlier impression on the mean girl Valerie has gone down since her first episode. I hoping it will get better, I remember I actually did like Kate in Lizzie Macguire. 

The Homecoming episode is probably one of my favorites. Jodi is so beautiful!!! And I loved Sun Hi's solo as well. I can't wait for the play now actually. 

<div> •*/) /) </div>
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Yeah, "Homecoming" had one of the more cohesive scripts of the series so far, with everything focused on getting the secret Homecoming off the ground. Too many of the scripts in this series are cluttered with more plotlines than they need.

Like last night's episode, "Mr. Chang." I would think that the appearance of Corki's father would be enough of a storyline to take up a full half-hour. Instead, the girls run around trying to do an interview with the local DJ for his video podcast and the auditions for "Wizard of Oz" are beginning, either one of which could have been the subject of an entire episode themselves. Big plot hole: Corki continues to hide her musical activities from her father, yet she appears on the video podcast without the mask, which outs her to the world as a member of the band, despite her repeated aim not to be known. :facepalm:  Stuff like that really annoys me.

Mr. Chang's appearance makes him the first Asian male on the series. But he's a strict authoritarian. Not a sympathetic character at all so far. I wish the episode had shown him and his daughter having a heart-to-heart talk at some point. Maybe that will come in a future episode. But I hope they don't waste his character.

Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

After last night's episode, "Fashion Truck," I'm happy to say every character's starting to act human, including the cartoonish drama teacher--and even Corki's authoritarian father. The half-hour was crammed with too many plot elements, though, including Corki trying to do a concert without her father finding out and Jodi trying to share her fashions with a visiting designer, plus the auditions for the school production of "Wizard of Oz." They really should have delayed the last two for a couple of episodes. There's a happy ending, but it's followed by a quick cut to something else and undercuts the emotional power of the moment. Oh, and Corki finally acknowledged that she's from China.

I need to find time to do a blog entry on the series. 
Last edited by Madara on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="187285" data-time="1429453552">Anyone recognize the person in the poster? There's been some criticism of the series for not featuring any Asian males in it. This is the closest we've come to an Asian male participating in the series in any way.</blockquote>
Why do people want a boy in the show?
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="187378" data-time="1429744567"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="187285" data-time="1429453552">
Anyone recognize the person in the poster? There's been some criticism of the series for not featuring any Asian males in it. This is the closest we've come to an Asian male participating in the series in any way.</blockquote>Why do people want a boy in the show?</blockquote>
It's probably not so much that they want a boy, but rather none of the boys in it have been Asian. Older (by age, it's not an old show) example but a lot of people have criticized The Mindy Project for having nothing but white love interests when Mindy Kaling, the lead actress, is Indian.
Last edited by Anderei on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Last night’s show, “The Troll,” again juggled too many plot elements, but it had a couple of really nice scenes and a good song (“Looking for Love,” it may be called) that gave each of the three girls a chance to show off their vocal chops. It made me think seriously about buying the soundtrack CD for this show, if one exists. Sun Hi and Corki have a heart-to-heart dialogue over Sun Hi’s freaking out over a single negative comment about the band on the web. And Jodi and Caleb, hanging out in the student lounge, talk about the creative process and wind up doing a little dance together. It’s a very sweet scene and shows the kind of moment that can develop if they avoid the hyperactive pace the show often takes. Later Caleb and Jodi have their first kiss and it’s handled really well.
Last edited by Madara on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

[quote="Madara"]
Last night’s show, “The Troll,” again juggled too many plot elements, but it had a couple of really nice scenes and a good song (“Looking for Love,” it may be called) that gave each of the three girls a chance to show off their vocal chops. It made me think seriously about buying the soundtrack CD for this show, if one exists. Sun Hi and Corki have a heart-to-heart dialogue over Sun Hi’s freaking out over a single negative comment about the band on the web. And Jodi and Caleb, hanging out in the student lounge, talk about the creative process and wind up doing a little dance together. It’s a very sweet scene and shows the kind of moment that can develop if they avoid the hyperactive pace the show often takes. Later Caleb and Jodi have their first kiss and it’s handled really well.

[/quote]
I have been so busy lately I only caught up today!~ I am still liking the songs in the show but they really should think about ironing the flaws. I don't understand why he didn't cast Sun Hi when Caleb has ... done worse and he is still allowed to participate in the play. Jared continues to be well-meaning but a little dumb. Other than that, this series is still growing to be a guilty pleasure for me. xD 

I am also getting used to Megan's acting. I used to think her character is London Tipton but I now see her as a completely different character. Sun Hi is now Sun Hi to me. 

<div> •*/) /) </div>
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

My blog entry on the show is up.

Join Sun Hi Nation!

kira
ANGERME

Post by kira »

So I just finished watching Again! and while I would not recommend this show to anyone, it was kind of surreal to see Akari (former Momoclo) and Koharu in the same show.

I didn't even know Koharu had drama acting roles until she showed up in the opening credits.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Make It Pop is getting a second season!: http://youtu.be/FYgmg83lL_w

(I'm way behind on the episodes... haven't had time to watch any since over two weeks ago.)
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Well, last night's ep. of "Make It Pop" (#20) was the last of Season One. They put on their improvised production of "Wizard of Oz." It ends on a cliffhanger that sets up Season Two. The future of the trio looks doubtful.

It was pretty amusing. I've watched every episode. Not all of them were successful, but I liked the series overall and esp. enjoyed the musical numbers. I thought the four main characters were well played and given interesting if not terribly deep characterizations. I could enjoy a second season of their adventures.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Maybe it's the teenage girl inside of me, but the new Supergirl TV show looks like it'll be fun.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I saw this coming and I don't think anyone here cares but I'm just so sad for the end of my favorite TV show. There will be many tears shed during the finale! (don't judge me!)

http://shmalexsmirsch.tumblr.com/post/133619326491/goodbye-gravity-falls
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Not quite TV, but MST3k is getting some new crowd-funded episodes:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/description

I was really excited for this, until I saw Felicia Day's face up there as the new mad scientist...
Hopefully somebody will make cut versions with just the movie parts.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

"Make It Pop" is back for a second season on Nick and no one told me! :dammit:

I stumbled across it Friday night when they were airing Season 2, Episode #10, which means it's been on for two weeks. I've been watching Power Rangers Dino Charge on Nick and they never promoted "Make It Pop." And I wrote about the first season on my blog and on IMDB. How the hell do you find out about these things today?

http://madara-blog.livejournal.com/93616.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4502154/reviews-12

From last season:
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Oh shoot, Madara, I meant to post about that.  :facepalm: They had a Christmas special, too. They did a terrible job of promoting it because I didn't even know about it until the day before when I saw it on my TV guide.

I decided I didn't really wanna spend the time watching this season though, so I only watched the Christmas episode, which was... meh.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Watching a new X-Files episode premiere on the TV - PRICELESS :D/

Fuck the haters, it's good to be back in business, if only for a miniseries.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I knew someone was going to say something about The X Files. :D

I'm only on the third season of the original series so I decided to hold off on the new episodes just in case there's anything spoiler-y.
Why does this series have to be so long dang it.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I watched X-Files from near the beginning, though eventually fell out of it. In the last few years restarted it, and finally recently got caught up through the last season and movie. I think somewhere around the midpoint I switched my view on the series--in that I really started to prefer the monster-of-the-week episodes rather than the mythology ones which just kept adding layers of crazy that was impossible to keep track of.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I didn't watch a lot of original series X-files, maybe 5~6 episodes, but I really liked the first movie.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

The Gravity Falls finale airs tonight!!!!!!!!

Also the Grammys. Anybody else watching?