TV thread!

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

aine
ANGERME

Re: TV thread!

Post by aine »

X-Files continues to be so great. The new episodes aren't all even in quality, but they still not only did not make my worst fears come true, but they actually exceeded my best expectations.

Next Monday is the last episode already, but if this doesn't result in at least one proper season no later than next year then this will be the greatest fan cocktease and the greatest waste of potential of all times.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WonderBuono" data-cid="194616" data-time="1453701126">I'm only on the third season of the original series so I decided to hold off on the new episodes just in case there's anything spoiler-y.
Why does this series have to be so long dang it.</blockquote>Because it's awesome, that's why!

They do pick up on a number of themes that were established in seasons 1-9 so you could get spoiled indeed. And you would miss out on a lot of tasty references, too. 

Everyone now calls it simply Season 10 instead of other names they used before and it's best to consider it as such.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JoshuaJSlone" data-cid="194619" data-time="1453729802">I think somewhere around the midpoint I switched my view on the series--in that I really started to prefer the monster-of-the-week episodes rather than the mythology ones which just kept adding layers of crazy that was impossible to keep track of.</blockquote>It's a tough call to make. Individually some monster of the week episodes were the among the best in all seasons, but the mythology is what really made the series. And the mythology episodes were so great when tied together, at least until the point when even the writers seem to have gotten lost in what was really going on.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="194629" data-time="1453743280">I didn't watch a lot of original series X-files, maybe 5~6 episodes, but I really liked the first movie.</blockquote>Well you just missed out on the greatest series of the 90's of our youth. Do yourself a favour and watch it all from the start now that it's available in glorious HD.

The movies were just all right compared to the rest really.
Last edited by aine on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="195246" data-time="1455782662">Well you just missed out on the greatest series of the 90's of our youth.</blockquote>
But I already had that with StarGate!
Besides, that shit was way too scary for me as a child, so I never would have watched it.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="195247" data-time="1455784816"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="195246" data-time="1455782662">Well you just missed out on the greatest series of the 90's of our youth.</blockquote>
But I already had that with StarGate!
Besides, that shit was way too scary for me as a child, so I never would have watched it.</blockquote>
The Flukeman is watching you poop!

I liked the original Stargate movie, but somehow I never watched any of the TV series.
Last edited by aine on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Re X-Files stuff without quoting:

Yeah, I've generally been enjoying it too. Were-Monster especially was pretty great--it was always a bummer that writer wasn't around for the original run past the third season.

Season 10 is I think because that's how Fox started referring to it on its website--at least that's what I saw on Wikipedia somewhere when I noticed all the references to "Miniseries" started changing to "Season 10".

I doubt we get a full 20+ episode season even if they consider this a success--I saw in at least one interview Duchovny saying while they'd like to continue, he doesn't know if he/Anderson/others would be up for so much at this point in their lives and careers. But more sets of 6 or 8 episodes (as this season was at some point hoped to be) seem possible.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I don't know if any of you watch sentai shows, but I'm looking to identify some of the Tokyo locations used in the series so I put together a collection of screen grabs in my latest blog entry (link below) in the hopes that someone who knows Tokyo will be able to recognize some of them.

Thanks.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Watching Academy Awards live in the afternoon rather than at 3AM feels weird!

EDIT: It was fucking awful. But good for Leo, I guess.
Last edited by aine on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="195401" data-time="1456708462">Watching Academy Awards live in the afternoon rather than at 3AM feels weird!

EDIT: It was fucking awful. But good for Leo, I guess.</blockquote>
Why would you watch those? lol
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="195404" data-time="1456743561"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="195401" data-time="1456708462">Watching Academy Awards live in the afternoon rather than at 3AM feels weird!

EDIT: It was fucking awful. But good for Leo, I guess.</blockquote>
Why would you watch those? lol</blockquote>
I wonder that myself. Watching it live in the middle of the night used to be a big and kinda magical thing as a kid, but for many years now it's been mainly full of cringe and disappointment. Maybe I got picky and cynical, or maybe it really went to shit.

At least the Best Animated Feature didn't make me mad this year. I didn't see Marnie yet, and Inside Out was actually pretty damn good. But I'll never forgive that piece of crap that got the award last year instead of Kaguya.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Best Animated Feature is the only award I care about. I'll always be a diehard Pixar fan so I'm incredibly proud of Inside Out and Pete Docter for winning. :)
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I watched Room, it won the best actress Oscar, last weekend and I have to say that is one hell of a movie. You best don't watch any trailer for it, since they seem to spoil a lot of it (especially the explanation of what is actually happening and the aftermath) and just watch it if you want to see a very intense character drama.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Yes, I loved Room! I recommend more people see it, but be prepared to cry. Note that I've shed maybe one tear watching movies my whole life, but I had streams of tears running down my face several times during Room. It's based on a book of the same name which is excellent too, but the author played a big part in the movie, so it's equally as good.

I saw The Revenant last night, and have to say I enjoyed the movie but just didn't get the hype? The moment it finished though, I turned to my boyfriend and told him Leo would win an award for this the same way Denzel won his--for deserving it for the better movies he acted in years before. Nothing wrong with Revenant and it's a very good movie, but still just kind of... eh.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I never watch the Oscars, but I did last night watch the On Cinema live Oscar special. CG resurrection of a dead son, DNA testing to see if an old man was James Dean, thrown sandwiches, competitions refereed by Joe Estevez... what an experience.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

What I kinda started to like watching was the Eurovision song contest while surfing some boards that are really into it.
I'm always a sucker for internet drama and the song contest is one of the guaranteed shit-talking high points of the year.
It was especially funny when it was held in Austria and seeing people all over the world talking about it.
I don't care at all about the contest itself.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I fell asleep after WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE (one of my favorite films last year) lost to INSIDE OUT (not one of my favorites), so I missed seeing my favorite living composer, Ennio Morricone, finally get an Oscar for Best Score. :facepalm:

aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="195450" data-time="1456951141">I fell asleep after WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE (one of my favorite films last year) lost to INSIDE OUT (not one of my favorites), so I missed seeing my favorite living composer, Ennio Morricone, finally get an Oscar for Best Score. :facepalm:</blockquote>That's a shame because it was the only authentic and truly touching moment of the ceremony and Morricone was probably the only person in the whole theatre that wasn't full of shit. It's probably on Youtube, look it up because it's worth seeing.

I feel like re-watching the Dollars trilogy suddenly.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="195422" data-time="1456782584">What I kinda started to like watching was the Eurovision song contest while surfing some boards that are really into it.
I'm always a sucker for internet drama and the song contest is one of the guaranteed shit-talking high points of the year.
It was especially funny when it was held in Austria and seeing people all over the world talking about it.
I don't care at all about the contest itself.</blockquote>It's enjoyable mindless entertainment in the way that watching a campy B-movie is. I actually watched the Austria one with my family because I was visiting at that time. I still prefer Ladybeard to Conchitta though. =3=

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
nimrahwt
Kenshuusei

Post by nimrahwt »

MacGyver - First Look Trailer, CBS, Lucas Till
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt8E6X6-744

why ? :confused:
<p class="bbc_center">♡ Sayashi is love,Sayashi is life ♪
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/nimrahwt" title="External link">Steam</a> -<a class="bbc_url" href="https://twitter.com/#!/nimrahwt" title="External link">twitter</a> <a class="bbc_url" href="http://ameblo.jp/tanakareina-blog/entry ... 92594.html" title="External link">-</a> <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.last.fm/user/nimrod85" title="External link">last.fm</a> - <a class="bbc_url" href="http://nimrahwt.tumblr.com/" title="External link">tumblr</a> - <a class="bbc_url" href="https://vine.co/u/1174513908925493248?mode=grid" title="External link">vine</a> - <a class="bbc_url" href="http://ameblo.jp/tanakareina-blog/entry ... 92594.html" title="External link">やばい</a>
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I'm pretty open to a new MacGyver, but that trailer didn't really sell that one to me.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

It looks like utter shit. It's as if somebody took the idea and made a joke trailer about it.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Thu May 19, 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I've been watching season 4 and 5 of Modern Family the past few months and just watched the season 5 finale.
I can't remember that I've ever been moved by a wedding (TV, movies or real life), but damn this one had me smiling and just a bit teary eyed.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Been watching some of the Netflix shows. That new Voltron from the Avatar/Korra team is REALLY good. Also watched both seasons of the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt which is really funny and goes to some wonderfully dark places. Probably start up season 2 of Marco Polo tonight.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Decided to actually watch an episode of the original Star Trek series just to compare the original cast to the reboot cast

Picked a random episode

Episode picked is apparently the worst episode of the series

Oops
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

He's worse than dead, his brain is gone!

Haha, I pulled off almost the reverse trick a few months back. Rewatching TNG on Blu-ray, I would rarely run across an episode I hadn't seen before. As it turned out the very last two I saw that were new to me are considered some of the worst in the series: Sub Rosa and Masks.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

The new MST3K show is getting Patton Oswalt and Felicia Day... fuck.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

The new Twin Peaks season will probably air in May 2017:
http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/sky-atlantic-italy-may-2017-twin-peaks/

They finished the shooting in April this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F51Eza7vpDk
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I'm really looking forward to the Twin Peaks Season. I recently finished the original '90s TV show and I have been looking forward to more. I hope it doesn't end up being a disappointment.
Formerly Mizura
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Has any TV show had as much post-production time as the new Twin Peaks? They filmed September '15 - April '16, and might not show any of it for more than a year?
hitopinku
Kenshuusei

Post by hitopinku »

Anyone else here like Once Upon a Time? I'm super into it and recently discovered my love for Lana Parilla, Regina/the Evil Queen's actress
Last edited by hitopinku on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
                                       Maachan Yossi  Mikitty
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

^ Me! My sister and I started watching it on Netflix a while back and we just now got caught up to the current season. I agree Lana Parilla is fantastic!
hitopinku
Kenshuusei

Post by hitopinku »

[quote="WonderBuono"]
^ Me! My sister and I started watching it on Netflix a while back and we just now got caught up to the current season. I agree Lana Parilla is fantastic!
[/quote]
Nice! I've been following it for a few years now I think. I just really like the twists they put on fairytales
                                       Maachan Yossi  Mikitty
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Anybody here watching Westworld?
I just watched episode 6 and it's really intriguing. The high production costs are really obvious with the great artstyle of the sets.

Also watched Mr. Robot recently and I wonder how they're going to follow up that masterful second season. Probably the first mainstream TV show or movie that depicted hacking and programming in a rather realistic manner.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.