TV thread!

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

Ap2000
つんく♂

Re: TV thread!

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Mizura" data-cid="209894" data-time="1504543595">I haven't seen any of the new series yet unfortunately but I heard the finale was actually pretty good.</blockquote> 
I liked most of the new season so far.
With some really good episodes and one episode that was, at least in my opinion, quite daring. But it's Lynch & Frost and they only made the season for TP fans anyway. They clearly didn't care about getting anybody new to watch the show and I like that.

However, in terms of tone it's much more FWWM than season 1 and 2.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

IT WAS A WORK OF ART sorry I'm late to the party I always forget this sub forum exists.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I can't wait for the TP BR release, because I immediately felt like I need to rewatch the season.
So much seemed simply unimportant and just quirky for the sake of it at first, but in hindsight turned out to be so important.

I haven't been this interested in TV show theories since LOST ended.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

Yeah I'm thinking about doing a full rewatch of Seasons 1 and 2, FWWM, and the Return pretty soon.
Kaori • Risako 

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I've already seen season 1 & 2 four full times, I've had my fill for a few years. haha

I did however watch FWWM again before season 3 started, since Lynch (or Frost) said it's important for the season and it really was.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I've seen seasons 1 and 2 three times but I'll gladly watch them again.  And yeah, FWWM was definitely important for this season.
Kaori • Risako 

aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Did we ever have an ongoing Anime thread in this forum? I feel like if we want to post about anime we have to use this thread if it's a TV show or the Movies thread if it's a movie. What if it's a movie based on a TV show?

I'm curious about idol anime and wonder if anyone's ever done a survey of all the idol anime shows. I have some series like Fancy Girl Lala and Full Moon o Sagashite and episodes from a few others like Kirarin Revolution and Kaleidostar, but I wondered if there was a comprehensive list and evaluation of them.

I ask because I watched a series called "PriPara" when I was in Japan and last week I picked up the 2017 movie spin-off of the series, "Pripara the Movie: Everyone Shine! Kirarin Star Live," and watched it last night. It's 65 min. and quite harmless. If you're going to do an idol concert in animation, this is, I guess, the way to do it. I enjoyed it despite the lack of subs., not that they would have made much of a difference. The musical numbers (16 in all) seem to have been modeled on actual idol dance movements. A couple of the songs stood out as being good, while most were standard stuff for this kind of thing. I was struck by the garishness of the design. The frames were often way too busy and with seriously clashing patterns. There must be a word for that. It definitely induced eyestrain at times.

I'm thinking of doing a blog entry, but I wanted to research the subject more and maybe watch a few more things like it.

The design in this poster for the PriPara movie is relatively restrained, compared to images from the film itself. When I get some screen grabs, I'll post them.

Last edited by Madara on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

"Love Live! School Idol Project" and "Love Live! Sunshine" are my go to idol shows, especially for that Hello Project feel. Love Live has 2 seasons and a movie, and the second season of Sunshine is airing now. Everything but the movie is on Crunchyroll.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="210855" data-time="1509376852">Did we ever have an ongoing Anime thread in this forum? I feel like if we want to post about anime we have to use this thread if it's a TV show or the Movies thread if it's a movie. What if it's a movie based on a TV show?</blockquote>
To some degree:
http://mm-bbs.org/index.php?showtopic=5912

I did post all of my recent Ghibli movies opinions in the Movie thread, though.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Amazon called on Sion Sono to make a TV show and boy, he sure as hell did make a very Sono-ish TV show:
Tokyo Vampire Hotel

Besides having a former AKB member in the main cast, there's also another reference with the name "Manami".
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

On my film blog, I take a look back at Power Rangers on the occasion of its 25th anniversary:

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2019/01/26/power-rangers-at-25-a-look-back/

Last edited by Madara on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I’m trying to get into J-drama to help my listening skills. Anybody have any recommendations? I just finished Overprotected Kahoko and it was really cute.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

If you have Netflix and type "Japanese" into the search, it'll bring up all their dramas, movies and anime. There's quite a few choices there.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="WonderBuono"]
I’m trying to get into J-drama to help my listening skills. Anybody have any recommendations? I just finished Overprotected Kahoko and it was really cute.
[/quote]

The most recent J-Drama I watched is on Netflix, it's called Atelier. I really liked it! A spunky lingerie designer tackles growing in an atelier run by a very stuck-on-her-way-of-things lingerie legend who is falling into a rut. Despite the subject matter it's not risque or anything.

The only other two I've seen (YEARS ago) are Smile (which definitely is a drama drama, concerns racism in Japan and against half-Japanese kids, has Yui Aragaki & Jun Matsumoto) and Papa to Musume no Nanokakan (basically a Freaky Friday kind of series, it was cute/ Also has Yui Aragaki LOL). I was a very casual fan of Yui Aragaki's back then, lol...

I haven't watched much more other than those 3 (I'm so out of touch with TV, I'm trying to get back into it now), but if I happen to come across anything that seems nice, I'll definitely let you know.  ^_^
Last edited by arcobaleno on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

^ I watched the trailer for Atelier (which apparently in Japan is just called "Underwear" haha) and thought it looked interesting, kinda reminded me of The Devil Wears Prada. I think I'll check it out.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I just started the Baby-Sitters Club new show on Netflix and it's soooooooooooooo cute.

...did any of you read the books or am I too old.
Kaori • Risako 

arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

I started watching it too, yuzu!! I saw the previews and thought it was cool and cute as hell.

I never read the books myself, but I'm enjoying the show a lot so far.  ^_^
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

It is SO faithful to the books and the casting is on point.

In case you were wondering, I am a Kristy.
Kaori • Risako 

al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

There's a Twitch channel that just started streaming nothing but the amazing Japanese show Game Center CX, and I literally can't stop watching. I've been here for 7 hours...
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Al Kusanagi"]
There's a Twitch channel that just started streaming nothing but the amazing Japanese show Game Center CX, and I literally can't stop watching. I've been here for 7 hours...
[/quote]

I feel personally offended that you didn't link it right away. REEEE
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Sorry I watch Twitch in the app and not browser. Channel name is "cardfrek"
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

ur name is cardfrek

After The BSC I needed something else short because I was at my new apartment without an actual TV all weekend so didn't want to delve into anything heavy.  I watched Never Have I Ever and it was SOOOOOO good.  A great way to see some different perspectives than we usually do on tv.  Kind of reminded me of Degrassi TNG if there was one main character.
Kaori • Risako 

Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

The BSC was my jam. I was a member of the Scholastic fanclub and would get the books along with other doodads... man those were the days.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!