Utada Hikaru to squeeze a little more money from you before taking an "indefinite" break

We listen to stuff outside of H!P? What?!?

Moderator: tsukinobyouin

neshcom
ANGERME

Utada Hikaru to squeeze a little more money from you before taking an "indefinite" break

Post by neshcom »

Hikaru Utada (27) has announced that she will release a new singles collection this fall, before taking an indefinite break from music at the start of next year. The singer, who started her career more than 15 years ago, explained that she has neglected part of her personal growth, so she felt that it was necessary to take a break.

[...]At the start of next year, she will put her career on hold to focus on her own personal life, though she has not decided when she plans to resume singing. Right now, she feels that her growth is the priority, but she said that she will return when she naturally feels that she wants to share her music again, though it could be after a few years.

Her last release may be the upcoming singles collection, titled "Utada Hikaru SINGLE COLLECTION VOL.2." It is her first best album in roughly six and a half years. It will include hits such as "Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro," "Be My Last," and "Beautiful World," plus at least one new song. The exact release date has not yet been announced.
(source)

This is always how it starts. Artist announces a break and comes back in less than a year. ZAKIZAKIZAKI was gonna do it then she up and released an album and went on another gigantic concert tour. YUI was supposed to take a break for a while, too, but then Again (or was that Mother?) came out and everyone wanted a piece of that.

Not like Utada's got a lot going on these past few years. A single here or there. An American outing every so often. When was the last time she did a Japanese tour? She's one of the few artists I can think of that doesn't actively tour ever. I mean, I she HAS, but she DOESN'T and that's weird.

Or maybe this is all code for "she's gettin' boobies see ya in 6 week!"
Last edited by neshcom on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Re: Utada Hikaru to squeeze a little more money from you before taking an "indefinite" break

Post by Ap2000 »

Well, she's achieved much despite only being 27, so she's free to do whatever she wants.

I also think she's not going to run into any financial problems soon.
Melon
ANGERME

Re: Utada Hikaru to squeeze a little more money from you before taking an "indefinite" break

Post by Melon »

It's hard to be sad when she hasn't done jack in a long time.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

^ Agreed on that.

I'm hoping she comes back with amazingly creative awesome material that will knock my socks off like she hasn't done since the Distance/Deep River days. I'm still a fan, but I don't have an excessive need to hear from my artists if I don't think they're putting out good quality stuff. Better this than one or two more albums of mediocre effort.
thamychan
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by thamychan »

Good to see everyone's reaction was the same as mine. But wasn't this the first time she actually announced she won't be doing anything? Before she'd say she was in studio, writing songs etc.

But I'm sad, I was counting on some magical announcement of a tour for when I go to Japan this year.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

UPDATE!
Three announcements for singer Hikaru Utada (27) were made today, including news of her first solo concerts in Japan since her nationwide tour in 2006. On December 8-9, she will perform two shows at Yokohama Arena, timed to coincide with the anniversary of her debut single "Automatic / time will tell," which was released on December 9, 1998. More information about the shows and ticket sales will be announced through a special website that is planned to launch in October.

Meanwhile, Utada has been cast in her first television commercial in 5 years, as she will be the next commercial character for Pepsi Nex. The most recent series of commercials for the beverage has featured top Japanese artists covering well-known songs by foreign artists, such as Perfume covering The Cardigans' "Lovefool." This time, Utada will appear in a new one with her jazz arrangement of Edith Piaf's famous "Hymne à l'amour." That song is also being included on her album "Utada Hikaru SINGLE COLLECTION VOL.2," which goes on sale on November 24. It is already available as a chaku-uta as of September 28, but the chaku-uta full and PC versions are scheduled for October 9.

Leading up to the album's release, it has also been announced that Utada has launched an official Twitter account. At the same time, her label U3music and her staff have also opened separate accounts (@u3music and hikki_staff).

Utada previously announced that she is taking an indefinite break from music at the start of next year.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Here's her twitter.

She does a fair bit of them in English for her non-Japanese fans. Also, epic props for using the word "ya'll."
Last edited by al kusanagi on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Mega-bamp.

Several news sources are reporting that Hikaru Utada will release a best album of her English songs, titled "Utada The Best." Although her official website has not yet announced the album, Nikkan Sports says that the information was sent to record stores across the country.

"Utada The Best" is scheduled for release on November 24, the same day her "Utada Hikaru SINGLE COLLECTION VOL.2" goes on sale. The tracklist has already been revealed, including songs such as "Come Back To Me," "Exodus '04," "Devil Inside," "Sanctuary," and "Kremlin Dusk."

In related news, the ticket website recently launched for Utada's two Yokohama Arena concerts in December, which are titled "WILD LIFE." Applications for tickets will be open on November 9-14, and the results of the lottery will be announced by November 16.

Here's the full list:
1. Come Back To Me

2. Easy Breezy

3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI

4. You Make Me Want To Be A Man

5. This One (Crying Like A Child)

6. Exodus '04

7. Apple And Cinnamon

8. Automatic Part II

9. Devil Inside

10. Kremlin Dusk

11. Sanctuary opening

12. Sanctuary ending

13. Exodus ‘04 (JJ FLORES Double J Radio Mix)

14. Devil Inside (RJD2 Remix)

15. Come Back To Me (Tony Moran & Warren Rigg Radio Edit)

16. Dirty Desire (Mike Rizzo Radio Edit)

I liiked Exodus and Devil Inside, but...uh...isn't a BEST pre-mature for three albums?
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

[quote name='neshcom' post='86503' date='Oct 21 2010, 10:11 PM']1. Come Back To Me

2. Easy Breezy

3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI

4. You Make Me Want To Be A Man

5. This One (Crying Like A Child)

6. Exodus '04

7. Apple And Cinnamon

8. Automatic Part II

9. Devil Inside

10. Kremlin Dusk

11. Sanctuary opening

12. Sanctuary ending

13. Exodus ‘04 (JJ FLORES Double J Radio Mix)

14. Devil Inside (RJD2 Remix)

15. Come Back To Me (Tony Moran & Warren Rigg Radio Edit)

16. Dirty Desire (Mike Rizzo Radio Edit)[/quote]

Ugh, I am disappoint. :\ Major cash cow milking alert, but I understand her company wanting to release this before her hiatus. A better tracklist would've been nice along with more actual material (butt plugging no-name remixes on a best of album is the most obvious cop out ever), and I would've loved the actual best tracks off the two albums (preferrably 3+), but hey. Hopefully with all this out of the way, her comeback from the hiatus can come with no musical baggage, so to speak, at all now.

[quote name='neshcom']isn't a BEST pre-mature for three albums?[/quote]

Two.
Last edited by showraniy on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

[quote name='showraniy' post='86505' date='Oct 21 2010, 10:49 PM'][quote name='neshcom']isn't a BEST pre-mature for three albums?[/quote]

Two.

[/quote]

I guess it doesn't count if it isn't included, huh?
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

[quote name='neshcom' post='86506' date='Oct 21 2010, 11:17 PM']I guess it doesn't count if it isn't included, huh?[/quote]

Not if we're talking about a best album, nope. And I'm pretty sure Precious is EMI property, so IDJ's probably not willing to go through the effort to unearth it for the sake of canonizing it in her career through an English best of album.

But hell yeah she should've had three albums before a best album anyway.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Holy hell wow.

Last week, it was learned that one of Hikaru Utada's record labels plans to release an English best album titled "Utada The Best" on November 24, the same day as her Japanese compilation "Utada Hikaru SINGLE COLLECTION VOL.2." Late on Sunday night, she wrote on her official Twitter account that the release of "Utada The Best" was not her decision.

In a series of tweets in Japanese and English, she criticized Universal Japan for deciding on its own to release "Utada The Best" on the same day as her singles collection, which is being released by EMI Music. She told her fans, "I understand that if it doesn't sell I'm the one who will take the hit, but to be honest, I don't want my fans putting down money for something that my heart isn't in." She also pointed out that the album doesn't contain any new material.

Utada said that she plans to speak about the situation in more detail in the near future. Pre-orders for "Utada The Best" have already started, but she asked those who are considering pre-ordering to hold off on their decision.
DarkRidley
Juice=Juice

Post by DarkRidley »

That's the anti-commercial, anti-idol and ever so slightly elitist attitude that made Utada my first J-pop love! More respect to her for speaking out about it and making sure her fans don't think she's become a sellout.

I know she hasn't released a whole lot of material lately, but I don't mind this hiatus because her albums (aside from TITO, and Exodus to a lesser extent) have immense longevity for me. I can still enjoy pretty much any of them as if I only just bought them, especially ULTRA BLUE and Heart Station.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

DEUCE THE NEWS

Utada is dropping Universal for a global contract with EMI. It is probably due to her desire for Utada The Best to not be released.

Also, it seems that a new track for the collection, "Goodbye Happiness," will have a PV directed by Utada herself and shot in one-take. It's up now. It's okay, though I did enjoy the Travelling reference near the end.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

[quote name='neshcom']Utada is dropping Universal for a global contract with EMI.[/quote]

I thought her contract with them was only good for two albums anyway?

But regardless--Finally.

Though I will always love the bastard child of music that is Exodus.
DarkRidley
Juice=Juice

Post by DarkRidley »

This video is really cute with all the references to old videos and the Kuma Chang head, but part of me misses the Earnest!Utada of old. I know that attitude was probably what produced some of her more pompous work on Exodus, but I kind of like that.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

I'm a little late with this info, but the previews for the five new songs off of Single Collection V2 were released to Amazon last week-ish, and were promptly taken down not long after, but not before someone could rip them for your listening pleasure.

The new songs are:

嵐の女神 (Arashi no Megami)

Can't Wait 'Til Christmas

Goodbye Happiness

Hyme a l'Amour

Show Me Love (Not A Dream)
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

GodDAMN, girl. Settle down. I'm gonna highlight the important bits.

With the release of her "Utada Hikaru SINGLE COLLECTION VOL.2" album a couple days away, and the final concerts before her hiatus a couple weeks away, singer Hikaru Utada has been doing promotions seemingly nonstop in recent weeks. On Sunday, she made her first public appearance since declaring her hiatus in August, then updated her blog that night with a few more announcements.

First of all, Utada's December 8-9 concerts at the Yokohama Arena are going to be aired in HD on Sky PerfecTV! on January 22, 2011. They will then be aired on Space Shower TV sometime in February. Before those broadcasts, Sky PerfecTV! will run multiple broadcasts (starting on December 30) of a special program including an interview with Utada and footage of her past concerts.

Space Shower TV and Sky PerfecTV! are jointly running a giveaway of 500 pairs of tickets to the Yokohama Arena concerts. More information is available here.

Utada also revealed that "Arashi no Megami," one of the new songs on her album, is being used as part of the "1 Choco for 1 Smile" campaign being run by Morinaga Chocolate. The campaign is an ongoing charity project to support children in cocoa-producing regions, and Morinaga has already pledged to donate part of its revenue from this year to the cause. "Arashi no Megami" will now be used as the campaign song, and for every purchased download of the song between November 24 and February 14 (Valentine's Day), 1 yen will go towards the campaign. This matches Morinaga's upcoming promotion, which will donate 1 yen per box of chocolates sold during the next Valentine's season (January 1 to February 14).

To promote her new album, Utada appeared live on J-WAVE's "McDonald's TOKIO HOT 100" radio show on Sunday, marking her first appearance at the J-WAVE studio since six years ago.

Host Chris Peppler talked with Utada about her impending hiatus, which starts next year. The singer had previously stated that she wants to take a break to focus on her "human activities." Asked to elaborate on that, she said, "While working as an artist, you're protected by the people around you. I want to take a step away from being an artist, and return to almost zero. When I get to my 40s or 50s, I don't want to become an old lady who can't do anything without a manager."

She continued by indicating that she intends to work towards more positive communication between her and her parents, singer Keiko Fuji (59) and music producer Teruzane Utada (62). She also mentioned that she would like to try doing volunteer work overseas and learning French. She refused to commit to a time for her comeback as a musician, saying that she will return when she feels that she "can see her own self clearly." She ended by saying, "I think the ordinary things are special."
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Hikaru Utada's fans around the world will be able to watch her December 8 concert at the Yokohama Arena, as her staff announced on Monday that the concert will be broadcast live on Ustream. Just last month, she also announced that the same concert is being shown live on 70 screens in 64 theaters across the country.

Her website has listed two Ustream channels: the "main channel" meant for PC viewing at a bitrate of 700kbps, and a "sub channel" suitable for iPhone and iPad viewing at a bitrate of 300kbps.