Satoshi Kon, anime great, dies

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

Madara
ANGERME

Satoshi Kon, anime great, dies

Post by Madara »

One of my favorite anime directors, Satoshi Kon, has died at the startling age of 46. Don't know the details yet. He directed four films I like very much: PERFECT BLUE, which is about a pop idol-turned-"serious" actress; MILLENNIUM ACTRESS, about a famous retired Japanese movie actress and a mind-boggling retelling of her life and the history of Japan through scenes from the movies she made; TOKYO GODFATHERS, a comedy-drama about a trio of homeless people who find an abandoned infant in a garbage dump on Christmas Eve and try to find its mother; and PAPRIKA, in which Megumi Hayashibara voices the title role of a female therapist's alter ego who seeks to undo the damage when people's dreams spill over into real life. It was made four years ago and looks forward to INCEPTION. Kon also directed the TV series, "Paranoia Agent."

I interviewed him once at the New York Anime Festival (seven years ago this Saturday) and he was a great interview. We talked mostly about TOKYO GODFATHERS and MILLENNIUM ACTRESS. I found the transcript of the interview and posted it on my blog along with a general tribute to him.

Perfect Blue

Paprika
Last edited by Madara on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Re: Satoshi Kon, anime great, dies

Post by Shoujo Q »

Wow that's sad. :< I really liked the way he directed and the animation of his movies. That's too young to die, he'll be missed for sure. I guess he was working on a new movie too.

I think I'll go watch Millennium Actress now in his honor. :x
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

I love Perfect Blue and Paprika and Millennium Actress. He was one of the few to turn animation into a real art...I'm so sad.
surasshu
こぶしファクトリー

Post by surasshu »

Very sad indeed. It seems nobody knew he had cancer. Sucks. After seeing the trailer for Catherine, I was wondering what he was up to, since it reminded me of him. Obviously this is not the news I was hoping for.
[center]Anyway, you can just like whatcha like!☆[/center]
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress are two wonderful movies. I didn't like Paprika at all however.

Anyway, he seems to have been a great mind in the business.
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOO!

This man was one of my favorite animation directors. He was the first anime director I knew after Miyazaki and the one I loved. I looked forward to everything he did. This upsets me greatly. We lost a legend.
Pi Mako
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by Pi Mako »

Oh what the HELL... I've seen Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers (own that one on DVD) and loved them both. I have to see Paprika and Millennium Actress now.

That sucks sooooooo much!!!
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

... Well, hell. That's depressing, though I can't say I knew about him as much as I just knew about his works (Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent being the only ones sadly).

Guess now I'll have to go experience the others.