Koda Kumi to release first cover album

We listen to stuff outside of H!P? What?!?

Moderator: tsukinobyouin

neshcom
ANGERME

Koda Kumi to release first cover album

Post by neshcom »

Kumi Koda (27) is releasing her first cover album on October 13, titled "ETERNITY ~Love & Songs~." The album will include several famous songs with new arrangements, ranging from R&B to electro to acoustic.

Koda, who is celebrating her 10th anniversary this December, came up with the idea for the album 3 years ago. In February 2008, she started production on it, finding time between her releases and tours to select the right songs, create unique arrangements, and perfect her versions.

Most of the songs on the album are famous hits by artists such as Momoe Yamaguchi, Seiko Matsuda, Akina Nakamori, Hiromi Go, and Anzen Chitai. Koda explained that she had come to love the kayokyoku genre because her mother raised her listening to that music. However, the album will also include the song "0-ji Mae no Tsunderera," originally sung by her sister misono (25).
(source)

Dug up some sort of cover

Possible tracklist:

01. Checkers - I love you, SAYONARA

02. Hiromi Go - Ienai yo

03. Kenji Sawada - Katte Ni Shiyagare

04. Momoe Yamaguchi - Sayonara no Mukougawa

05. misono - 0-ji Mae no Tsunderella

06. Seiko Matsuda - SWEET MEMORIES

07. YEN TOWN BAND - Swallowtail Butterfly ~ai no uta~

08. Akina Nakamori - TATTOO

09. MONGOL800 - Chiisana Koi No Uta

10. COMPLEX - BE MY BABY

11. RATS & STAR - Megumi no Hito

12. Ou Yang Fei Fei - Love is over

13. Anzenchitai - Wine Red no Kokoro

I definitely know none of these. Any old-timers know if these are any good?
DarkRidley
Juice=Juice

Re: Koda Kumi to release first cover album

Post by DarkRidley »

A cover album? Doesn't seem the best career move, especially with her sales still declining. I hope Avex know what they're doing. I've been somewhat uninterested in Kumi's recent stuff, and I maintain that she peaked with Black Cherry/Kingdom. I might download this or something, especially if it is as the article implies and Kumi had a significant say in the album's content, but I'm always skeptical of cover albums. Empty buzzwords like "new arrangements" just aren't convincing to me anymore, and oftentimes they just deserve whatever inevitably low sales they get.

I've heard the COMPLEX and MONGOL800 songs, although I don't much like the latter. It's a somewhat dull indie affair. BE MY BABY, on the other hand, is a fairly awesome pop/rock song. It's nothing spectacular, but Kumi could do some interesting stuff with it. Otherwise, I'm stumped.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

She's covering one of her sisters songs. xD Can she release a PV being identical to hers also?
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
mrsross
モーニング娘。

Post by mrsross »

I heard Swallowtail Butterfly ~ai no uta~. I thought Chara originally did it. It's nice she decided to cover her sister.
Last edited by mrsross on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tsukinobyouin
ANGERME

Post by tsukinobyouin »

Everything by Go Hiromi is good. And as well all already know, everything by misono is bad.

If you ever watched that Uta Doki series, Maki did a nice cover of Love is over. I've heard a few covers of Wine Red no Kokoro, but haven't been very impressed with them. Otherwise, I don't know any of these.

I know a lot of people hated the MoMusu and H!P cover albums, but I ended up loving a lot stuff on both. It was kind of like a fun supplement in between new material. But a lot of the charm of those was the way they shuffled up the girls, made the new sub-units, or gave girls who don't usually get many lines a lot to sing. With Kumi...it's just Kumi. I think it'd be more exciting if she had a track or two on a collaboration cover album, rather than putting out a whole album of old material.
<p style="text-align:center;">Image

[personal blog | fandom tumblr | sailor moon stuff | coming soon - store!]

Banner by Miss Moonlight♥
Milly
つばきファクトリー

Post by Milly »

Here's Nakazawa singing Wine red no Kokoro. And here's Aragaki Yui covering chiisana koi no uta , but I much prefer the original.

I don't recognize most of the other songs though.
Last edited by Milly on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Kumi Koda (27) is releasing her first cover album on October 13, titled "ETERNITY ~Love & Songs~." The album will include several famous songs with new arrangements, ranging from R&B to electro to acoustic.

Koda, who is celebrating her 10th anniversary this December, came up with the idea for the album 3 years ago. In February 2008, she started production on it, finding time between her releases and tours to select the right songs, create unique arrangements, and perfect her versions.

Most of the songs on the album are famous hits by artists such as Momoe Yamaguchi, Seiko Matsuda, Akina Nakamori, Hiromi Go, and Anzen Chitai. Koda explained that she had come to love the kayokyoku genre because her mother raised her listening to that music. However, the album will also include the song "0-ji Mae no Tsunderera," originally sung by her sister misono (25).
(source)

Dug up some sort of cover

Possible tracklist:

01. Checkers - I love you, SAYONARA

02. Hiromi Go - Ienai yo

03. Kenji Sawada - Katte Ni Shiyagare

04. Momoe Yamaguchi - Sayonara no Mukougawa

05. misono - 0-ji Mae no Tsunderella

06. Seiko Matsuda - SWEET MEMORIES

07. YEN TOWN BAND - Swallowtail Butterfly ~ai no uta~

08. Akina Nakamori - TATTOO

09. MONGOL800 - Chiisana Koi No Uta

10. COMPLEX - BE MY BABY

11. RATS & STAR - Megumi no Hito

12. Ou Yang Fei Fei - Love is over

13. Anzenchitai - Wine Red no Kokoro

I definitely know none of these. Any old-timers know if these are any good?

Hmmm...Momoe, Seiko, Akina, Ou Yang...I'd love to hear Koda tackle these. I'm there.
EmEl
ANGERME

Post by EmEl »

[quote name='PQ' post='84893' date='Sep 12 2010, 08:15 PM']She's covering one of her sisters songs. xD Can she release a PV being identical to hers also?[/quote]

Lard's terrible melodrama amused me to no end when that video was released. I'm so happy (in a masochistic sort of way) that this song is gonna be covered.

[quote name='jpop4eva' post='84894' date='Sep 12 2010, 08:30 PM']I heard Swallowtail Butterfly ~ai no uta~. I thought Chara originally did it. It's nice she decided to cover her sister.[/quote]

Yen Town Band is Chara (well, for the most part).
Last edited by EmEl on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

What's the first thing you do when you return home after a concert?

LinLin: "I stop thinking and stare into nothingness."