KARA suing DSP Media Entertainment for Slave Contract

aka MM-BBS does Asia. Forum for all your Korean music needs.

Moderator: Arichii

fpd
カントリー・ガールズ

Re: KARA suing DSP Media Entertainment for Slave Contract

Post by fpd »

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/02/karas-se ... -dsp-media

:(

Yeah, I don't really expect Kara to really exist all that much longer regardless of what the final outcome is. /sadfase

[quote name='Loop']The pleasures of unwilling flesh[/quote]
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote name='fpd' timestamp='1297672184' post='93767']

Yeah, I don't really expect Kara to really exist all that much longer regardless of what the final outcome is. /sadfase

[/quote]

You are not happy that they sue the management over their slave contracts !?

Them winning this is WAY more important than Kara doing anything else.

This could be pretty important for the K-Pop industry actually and hopefully it will be.
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

Through their head representative, the three members of KARA stated, “Without prior compromise, the agency deducted promotional fees from our income without our consent, which is classified under embezzlement. From January through June of 2010, we brought in $410,000 USD in income, while the promotional expenses amounted to $390,000 USD. The expenses are abnormally excessive.”

They continued, “Even when ‘Lupin‘ was at its highest point in popularity, DSP Media only paid $860 USD per member for a total of six months. The $140 USD that we were paid a month is unfair compared to the income that we brought in.”

Holy crap.
fpd
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by fpd »

[quote name='Ap2000' timestamp='1297682389' post='93771']

[/quote]

You are not happy that they sue the management over their slave contracts !?

Them winning this is WAY more important than Kara doing anything else.

This could be pretty important for the K-Pop industry actually and hopefully it will be.

[/quote]

No, I'd be super happy if they won, but from what I've seen of Korean "law" when it comes to this sort of contract shit, it's just a he said she said of verbal contracts that leaves the smaller guy destroyed. I've more or less given up on them being able to actually change anything, but if they actually could that would be fucking amazing. Even the US Embassy says Korean contracts are sketchy at best (not in those words obviously)

g0083us
Kenshuusei

Post by g0083us »

[/quote]

Holy crap! $860 USD for six months! Is that for real? I made more than that busing tables on weekends when I was in high school. For the amount of work that those girls do, it's no kidding calling it a slave contract. I have nothing better to add besides my surprise of their wages.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/02/dsp-medi ... nformation

If this is legitimate, they already look more foolish than before. Anyone who lies and complains about their 200k salary (just from Japan) will receive zero sympathy from me.

The three members don't seem to have much of a case. Only way I can see them leaving DSP would be to pay the fee to break their contract, and something tells me it's probably not all that cheap.

I feel like the other threes parents are playing a big role in this and it makes you wonder just what the other company offered them to make them lie about their salaries and treatment (and tbh it seems more like them and not DSP are the ones in the wrong).

Honestly if JYJ's case is taking forever for the courts to come to a decision, there's no way these girls are going to win their case if DSP have all the records and documents to back this up. Especially if their contracts have been reviewed and decided to be fair, whereas it was extremely obvious that something was wrong with JYJ's.

Really isn't helping them with the public that Nicole's mom sounds like a complete moron and that Seungyeon's dad has been criticizing Gyuri. And the head of the Korean Singers Association (scary guy judging by how he dealt with his son's psychotic girlfriend) doesn't want Kara's case to continue since he's said it brings too much scrutiny on the media.
Last edited by Anderei on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
fpd
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by fpd »

The whole thing is whether the contracts ARE actually fair. They're (the way I see it) disputing what Korea considers to be fair contracts, which DSP continues to juke by claiming everything was done "as the contract determined" or w/e. It's a giant circle jerk between the government agency and the agencies who represent the girls. Basically seeing as the JYJ thing has gone nowhere, the group is fucked, as are any other groups who feel they're treated unfairly until the country itself changes its ways.

eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

[quote name='Anderei' timestamp='1297911943' post='93858']

If this is legitimate, they already look more foolish than before. Anyone who lies and complains about their 200k salary (just from Japan) will receive zero sympathy from me.

[/quote]

You must be really naive (or desperate) to think you can sell your body, labor, time, and soul for $200k and some tv time.

$200k is what lots of white collar professionals make annually, without signing away their lives for decades at a time or selling their creative labor produced under such ridiculous and stressful contracts. Most people's working agreements, vacation times, bonuses, and possible promotions are usually standardized and streamlined through HR unlike this mystified process behind idol work. I highly doubt that Kara LIED about their annual salary, given how high profile this case is. It is more likely that they have no fucking clue how and where the money is calculated and that their management is deliberately obfuscating.

Although we like to dream that idols live in cotton candy land and look awesome and have easy lives and never fart, all idols work very hard. They are still treated as disposable goods by their management which is why they have to be smart and gain control over their own careers.

I can't believe so many people actually think these idols should just dociley shut up and do as they are told. Because....people SHOULD be exploited like animals?