Shift in Japanese Pop Culture

We listen to stuff outside of H!P? What?!?

Moderator: tsukinobyouin

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Shift in Japanese Pop Culture

Post by Shoujo Q »

Found this on Arama. Thought it would be something interesting for you highly educated BBSers to talk about, fight about, think about, then kiss and makeup about. ;D

[url="http://neojaponisme.com/category/present/consumer-culture/"]Original Source[/url] You can read the whole thing. It's broken up into 5 parts so far. Arama only highlighted the 4th part which I copy/pasted in the quotes that highlights the otaku culture.

The Rise of Marginal Subcultures

The drop in cultural markets has been almost perfectly pegged to the decline in incomes. Middle class consumers are buying less, and when they buy, now go for cheaper or risk-free products. Within this environment, we could expect marginal subcultures to also have curbed consumption. Yet they did not! And their steady buying into their own cultural niches has made huge changes in the tenor of Japanese pop culture.

Yankii and otaku: Consumption as pathology

The yankii and otaku have never traditionally been blessed with high incomes nor high future earning potential, and in pure homo economicus terms, should be cutting back even more than middle-class consumers. We must understand, however, that for the otaku, yankii, and gyaru, shopping is not merely a form of leisure nor has it even been an attempt to buy into a larger society-wide consumerist message. These groups use consumerism as a therapeutic solution to their psychological and social problems.

Marginal groups’ up their voting power in the consumer vacuum

The end result is that the otaku and yankii have an almost inelastic demand for their favorite goods. They must consume, no matter the economic or personal financial situation. They may move to cheaper goods, but they will always be buying something. Otherwise they lose their identity. While normal consumers curb consumption in the light of falling wages, the marginal otaku and yankii keep buying. And that means the markets built around these subcultures are relatively stable in size.

So as the total market shrinks, the marginal groups — in their stability — are no longer minor segments but now form a respectable plurality in the market. In other words, if otaku or yankii all throw their support through a specific cultural item, that item will end up being the most supported within the wider market.

The clearest example of this is AKB48. With the letters AKB in their name, this group of girls was unequivocally marketed towards older males based in the Akihabara otaku culture. Compared to past mass market groups such as Speed, the girls are intentionally chosen and styled to look like elementary schoolgirls and lyrically address older men with direct sexual references. (See the “cat-eared brothel” video for “Heavy Rotation” and the unambiguous “love knows no age” lyrics for “Seifuku ga jama wo suru.”)

The mass idol group regularly has an “election” (sousenkyo) where fans try to vote their favorite girl to Number One. Buying certain AKB48 CD singles gives the fan a vote in the AKB48 election, which thus incentivizes otaku to buy multiple copies of the CD to increase their “political” power. The CD is thus no longer a means of listening to music but a way to influence the future of AKB48. This has created a legion of fans who buy dozens and hundreds of the same AKB48 CD or even 5500 copies. There are now doubts about that story’s authenticity but it basically was an exaggeration of an existing principle. Regardless, the marketing strategy of AKB48 does encourage the purchase of multiple goods, thus amplifying the buying power of nerds beyond their small numbers. This means as a consumer bloc, the AKB48 otaku fans can rival the non-otaku consumer base.

This otaku bloc strength, as well as other niche’s dedicated buying, can be seen through the music charts. In 2010 only three artists made the Oricon best-selling singles market — AKB48 and a Johnny’s Jimusho group Arashi. (At this stage, you can almost argue that music fans of Johnny’s groups are themselves a conspicuous cult rather than a mass market phenomenon.) Only two artists taking the entire singles market is unprecedented in Japanese musical history. In the previous decade, the average number of artists in the top ten was 8.2. The best explanation is that mainstream consumers stopped buying music, even single song downloads, so the favorite acts of marginal subcultures now appear to be the most popular.

Not truly “the most popular”

While otaku and yankii cultures are enjoying a new cultural influence in their deep commitment to consumption, we should not forget that these groups do not make up any kind of actual societal consensus. The masses may be consuming parts of their culture, but these groups are at best pluralities rather than majorities — dominant in the market but nowhere near 50% of tastes.

For example, if you look at the sales numbers for the #1 single of 2010 — “Beginner” by AKB48 at 954,283 copies — this would not have been enough copies to make the top ten from the years 1991 to 2000, when the wider public bought CDs in droves. In 2001, it would have ranked in at #10 — a successful hit for a niche, but not the symbol of J-Pop for the era. The population of Japan in the last ten years has not dropped enough to make this smaller number of sales proportionally relevant — just less people are purchasing music.

AKB48’s narrow popularity becomes very clear when the group appears on television — a medium that continues to have a mass audience (although disproportionally elderly viewers.) Maeda Atsuko had been repeatedly voted the #1 member of AKB48, and yet her recent drama Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (Ikemen Paradise)saw extremely low ratings (episodes around 6%). AKB48 variety show “Naruhodo High School” has drawna dismal 4.5%.

AKB48 have also been extremely popular on YouTube, which skews towards a tech-savvy male audience in Japan. And yet a song like “Heavy Rotation”— at over 50 million views — has nearly one-third “thumbs down” votes. This is an extremely high amount level of dislikes compared to other music videos on the site.

So AKB48 are the most conspicuous music group in Japan at the moment with the highest record sales and highest number of appearances, but they should necessarily be considered a “mass” phenomenon with widespread fans across multiple segments. The group has captured the strongest plurality in the market, and companies have mobilized around them in desperation. If Dentsu could sponsor a different hit idol group with an even broader fan base, they would. But ironically, no one other than AKB48 or Johnny’s Jimusho groups have the sales or market legitimacy to work in the context of mass market advertising. Marginal groups are now feeding and over-influencing the remnants of the mass market just as counter-consumer once did.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Re: Shift in Japanese Pop Culture

Post by al kusanagi »

Short version: AKB is marketed toward manchild virgins with lots of disposable income and therefore makes a shit ton of money.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

AKB48 have also been extremely popular on YouTube, which skews towards a tech-savvy male audience in Japan. And yet a song like “Heavy Rotation”— at over 50 million views — has nearly one-third “thumbs down” votes. This is an extremely high amount level of dislikes compared to other music videos on the site.
I'm sure I don't have any clout to talk to the other issues, but this one point makes me question the whole issue. It shows a real lack in understanding of the internet and what it means to be successful on an open forum like that. Here they're complaining that one-third actively disliked the video, when, in reality, to get any content on the internet with mass acclaim to be liked by even one-third of the people who see it is a major accomplishment. There are other issues that may fit against this point (netizens being more prevalent in Asian cultures, YouTube being a largely US-minded site, the demographic difference between Asian-based and US-based viral/popular videos), but complaining that only one-third clicked a box and said they disliked a video is a little ridic.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

They need to take lessons from the Master if they want to learn what a truly disliked video is.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I'd say half or more of the girls in my school like AKB. And I live out in what's considered the countryside, not to mention they don't even air AKB shows here, and the ones they do air (for people who have cable) air while they're still at school or work or when people are asleep. A lot of people download the songs or rent the CD too.

Everyday the girls in my class are singing AKB songs and talking about them. I'm pretty sure none of them buy the CD's, but that doesn't mean AKB isn't popular.
Last edited by momoirosaya on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

[quote name='Al Kusanagi' timestamp='1323398786' post='113555']

They need to take lessons from the Master if they want to learn what a truly disliked video is.

[/quote]

More like 2nd Master. Someone knows how to make shit unpopular quick.
tsukinobyouin
ANGERME

Post by tsukinobyouin »

I have to agree with neshcom - this is essentially someone making up an essay on Japanese pop culture based on a few random tidbits of info and not a lot of research or understanding of how various media really works. The fact that one paragraph says "Oh actually that story is probably not true but still" basically kills the credibility of the entire thing.

I do agree that many groups are not as dominatingly popular as they seem, but that's the way modern media works. CD sales can no longer be used as a lone indicator of popularity in any country, and in Japan the existance of multiple editions is always going to skew things. Although to be fair to AKB, it's not like they're the only group that does this. These days every single idol group pushes multiple editions with different things on them, and plenty of non-idol groups have at least two editions.

In the end though, why do people care so much? If I like a group, I like the group. It's nice to celebrate when they have some sort of acheivement, and I would be sad if my favorite group did so bad in sales that they had to disband, but in general as long as the groups/artists I like are making good songs I'm pretty happy. Who gives a shit if AKB (or whoever else) outsold them, or why?
<p style="text-align:center;">Image

[personal blog | fandom tumblr | sailor moon stuff | coming soon - store!]

Banner by Miss Moonlight♥
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

Eh, I can't believe I wasted my time with it. I want Al's tl;dr version appended to the top of the post so no one else will suffer through that schlock.

Is there a reason to buy a cd single unless you want the <whatever event or goodie> attached to it? The digital download charts are usually more varied than Oricon nowadays too.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I probably shouldn't make posts before I go to bed. Reading this over, what was I thinking? Image

You should see this persons Japanese Idols vs. Korean Idols rant. I only found it because I was wondering if they ever mentioned Morning Musume in anything. All the AKB love made me wonder, and they did.

The new dominance of idol collective AKB48 on the music market suggests that the Japanese male music consumer has been infected with a quite different disease. This giant 48-girl group, formed in 2005 but reaching peak popularity this year, is the latest brainchild of pop Svengali Akimoto Yasushi. This is the man who brought you the ’80s spectacle of mass girl group The Onyanko Club — a huge number of wholly uncharismatic young women whom he had sing unabashedly dirty lyrics for a snickering male audience. So Onyanko started the “idol collective” trend, but we didn’t hear much from the concept until Morning Musume and all its various spinoffs in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Yet Musume’s producer Tsunku’s spin on it was to take out the direct sexuality and make it infantile and creepy, theoretically to make it marketable to a young female audience. The idea of very average looking girls, however, stayed core. (Or more likely, a truly exceptional looking idol becomes a model and solo artist, and all the agency leftovers are formed into collectives to provide the management company a paycheck.)

The Morning Musume empire flamed out at some point after monopolizing the charts for a few years, but AKB48 has worked to bring the idol collective into the 21st century by targeting it almost exclusively to the otaku male. The genius marketing idea of AKB48 was to take the girls directly into the heart of Japan’s last remaining dependable consumer group — the otaku in Akihabara — and through daily shows at the theater there, make the men fall in love with them (and just maybe, then buy several dozen of the same CD single to boost sales.) AKB48 thus had to tone down the high-school sexcapade lyrics “I want to have sex before my friends do” and “we really shouldn’t be doing this before class, teacher” of Onyanko, but compared to Morning Musume, Akimoto pulled the lever marked “Eroticism” up a few notches on the mixing board when no one was looking.

The end result is that there is not very much content in the AKB48 oeuvre beyond the super-deformed sexuality. In order for the otaku to not get too confused, the songs had to stay close to the highly-synthesized and bouncy anime theme song genre. And the girls had to fit the stereotypical “little sister” mold of modern day moé. The music is a casualty of the process: the songs are a zombie rehash of J-Pop conventions without any distinguishing characteristics.

The AKB48 videos — recently freed up for wide viewing on YouTube — do not work hard to cover up the “let’s seduce 37 year-old nerds with diminutive young girls” angle. The video for “Ponytail to Shushu” has a two-minute, music-free Austin Powers inspired preamble with the girls stripping off their clothes but miraculously saved from exposure to the audience by camera-blocking props. Finally a chihuahua comes in and chases them into the shower, where they all get drenched — in slow motion. Then a song starts, and the male viewers rewind and watch the locker room scene frame by frame to see if they can’t catch a stray sliver of a breast somewhere. Oddly parts are filmed at a direct low angle (“dog’s eye view”) — a kind of anti-Kubrick vertical squashing to emphasis the girls’ stocky legs and miniature frames.

Likely by accident, the girls of AKB48 have turned out to be much better looking than those of Morning Musume. Maeda Atsuko probably was never in the running for a solo career but passable as the “cute one.” The nerd blogs, however, have been confused that AKB’s Itano Tomomi has turned into a full-scale babe. It must be plastic surgery, they exclaim, not understanding the basic biology that 19 year-old women just tend to be more attractive than 12 year-olds. This just happens to go against their entire dogma that women over the legal age “smell bad” and “become hideous monsters” after their teen years.

I'm done. They said my Musume was ugly. Image
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Um... No...

There's like maybe 5 insert-three-letters-here members I find even remotely attractive, and I'm pretty sure a couple are not even in the group anymore, like Mai Oshima. Hell, Yuko Nakazawa alone > their entire collective.
NekoKaiSai
ANGERME

Post by NekoKaiSai »

The average age of MM today is 14.5 years, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the youngest average age of MM? Ignoring that, using an opinion as fact is like using water as oil.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
<p class="bbc_center" style="text-align:left;">B!P workflow spreadsheet         Tutorial for Translators/Preppers
tsukinobyouin
ANGERME

Post by tsukinobyouin »

[quote name='NekoKai' timestamp='1323486144' post='113606']

The average age of MM today is 14.5 years, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the youngest average age of MM? Ignoring that, using an opinion as fact is like using water as oil.

[/quote]

There were a ton of birthdays shortly after the 10th gen joined. The average age has already jumped up to 16.25. When Mr. Moonlight came out, the average age was 16.07, mostly due to a lot of girls having their birthday just days before the single came out.
<p style="text-align:center;">Image

[personal blog | fandom tumblr | sailor moon stuff | coming soon - store!]

Banner by Miss Moonlight♥