Minegishi Minami has boyfriend, shaves head

We listen to stuff outside of H!P? What?!?

Moderator: tsukinobyouin

Ap2000
つんく♂

Re: Minegishi Minami has boyfriend, shaves head

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote name='Shoujo Q' timestamp='1360035139' post='143698']

Annnd now CNN has this story. Nice use of video there CNN. Couldn't find anything worse? Actually, I could think of a few. Image

[/quote]

What do you mean ?
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

[quote name='Ap2000' timestamp='1360057692' post='143721']

Annnd now CNN has this story. Nice use of video there CNN. Couldn't find anything worse? Actually, I could think of a few. Image

[/quote]

What do you mean ?

[/quote]

The MVs they used. I think they went and used the most shocking examples of the group. Out of everything they released, they went with those.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
freezingkiss
ANGERME

Post by freezingkiss »

They ALWAYS do stuff like this. This annoying Australian reporter got to interview Aki-P a while ago and all she did was talk negative. These people have no clue.
新垣里沙 ♥ 須藤茉麻 ♥中島早貴 ♥ 譜久村聖 ♥All of C-ute ♥All of Berryz♥

yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I couldn't take that clip seriously because he reminded me of a less intense Honey Badger guy. I'm just happy he didn't COMPLETELY butcher her name.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Oh please. He was specifically saying how some of their videos are controversial during the part where he showed their less favorable MVs. It was totally in context and he handled it tastefully. At least he didn't show whatever part of that Heavy Rotation MV that included a girl's bare ass.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Well, no one at my office seemed to know about this story. Of course, nobody watches/reads any of these news outlets anymore.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote name='Shoujo Q' timestamp='1360066219' post='143723']

[/quote]

What do you mean ?

[/quote]

The MVs they used. I think they went and used the most shocking examples of the group. Out of everything they released, they went with those.

[/quote]

They made those MVs, so it's perfectly fine to use them.

And it's not like AKB only has one single sexy MV.

You know they could have gone even further, showing the locker room part of that other MV.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

[quote name='Ap2000' timestamp='1360091282' post='143752']

[quote name='Shoujo Q' timestamp='1360066219' post='143723']

[/quote]

What do you mean ?

[/quote]

[/quote]

They made those MVs, so it's perfectly fine to use them.

And it's not like AKB only has one single sexy MV.

You know they could have gone even further, showing the locker room part of that other MV.

[/quote]

Yes, but I think Freezing put it best on what I was trying to point out. They (CNN) showed the negative, to get the point across.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

The negative WAS the point in those few seconds.
NekoKaiSai
ANGERME

Post by NekoKaiSai »

This was the opening story on taff (a German tabloid news show). They showed parts of her video, some music video where they were at a beach in school uniforms, concert footage(also in school uniforms), what looked like a photo shoot with them in their bras, and pictures of her, including one with her head shaved and I think four other members with peace signs and bunny ears. They also asked people on the streets of Germany what they thought of the video. It was very obvious that no one knew who she was and they all gave the "It seems dramatic." and "That would be difficult." answers.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
<p class="bbc_center" style="text-align:left;">B!P workflow spreadsheet         Tutorial for Translators/Preppers
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

The Verge has picked up the story. They previously did a story on k-pop's sudden popularity and both are interesting, deep looks into both topics.

Selected quotes:

The sexualization of pop music isn't a new thing, nor is it limited to Japan. Unfortunately, the target group for AKB48 largely holds an infantilized attitude towards sex and women in general. The girls are marketed as real people that the fans can meet and relate to, but that's a strategy designed to play off the desires of men who may not have the ability or volition to maintain a relationship. As such, the agencies see it as crucial that the girls themselves stay chaste so as not to shatter the fantasies of fans.
All of this means a demographic otherwise marginalized in Japanese society has been granted with extraordinary buying power in pop culture, catapulting AKB48 to success far beyond their limited appeal. As W. David Marx of Neojaponisme proposed in a series of essays, Japan has undergone a cultural shift to a point where "normal" people just don't buy music, leaving the hardcore otaku to exert their dominance. Now, as journalist and ethnographer Patrick Galbraith told The Verge last year, it's all too easy to stereotype otaku culture. And it's true that AKB48, not surprisingly, holds a lot of popularity among young children as well. But the non-obsessive fans aren't the ones responsible for the group's success — the avaricious otaku is where the money's at. Those with the spending power have influenced a poisonous moral norm that's worked its way through Japan, and it's come to a head with the furore over Minami Minegishi.
The no-relationship rule may not even be legal. Japan Times columnist and law professor Hifumi Okunuki argued the case against it last year, concluding that "the AKB48 chastity clause fails to meet the court's criteria for legitimate grounds for dismissal."
AKB48, however, represents the worst of Japanese insularity: caught up in its own success with a uniquely receptive domestic audience, then wondering what the fuss is all about as the world leaves it behind.