Any decent anime?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

Madara
ANGERME

Re: Any decent anime?

Post by Madara »

[quote="showraniy"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="163881" data-time="1380209773">
I don't know how to access subtitled Japanese-language episodes and if I did, they wouldn't look anywhere near as good as they do on CN-HD.
</blockquote>

I don't watch much of it, but the anime I download is all HD these days. I got a new computer two years back because everything I'd stream or download was always HD and my old Dell couldn't handle it.

[/quote]

Are the Pokemon episodes available in HD in Japanese with subs? If so, it might be worth exploring how to access them. 
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="yuzuriha"]
WHY BACK IN MY DAY STAR, THE DUB WAS THE ONLY CHOICE>

It is pretty bad though.  Not as bad as Sailor Moon, but not awesome like Cowboy Bebop or something.
[/quote]

90s dubs are the BEST dubs, okay?

For real, though, dubs have come a long way since Sailor Moon thank goodness.

<p class="bbc_center">Image
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

Yeah, I know.  I even enjoy the dubs of Ranma 1/2, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Cowboy Bebop.

BUT all three of those have my two favorite seiyuu of all time, so I will always choose to watch it subbed if it is available to me.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

All German dubs are garbage.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="Ap2000"]
[/quote]

I know a girl who swears by the German Sailor Moon.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Anderei"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="163904" data-time="1380229205">
<div>
[/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

Is she from Central Europe ?

You should never believe anything what German-speaking people say.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="Ap2000"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="163906" data-time="1380230711">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="163904" data-time="1380229205">
<div>
[/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

Is she from Central Europe ?

You should never believe anything what German-speaking people say.

</div>
</blockquote>

I've seen clips from the German version. I know how wrong she is.

emily
Juice=Juice

Post by emily »

Monster. It's a psychological thriller and detective show. It's about a bright young doctor who makes choices that go against his integrity until it becomes too much. One day he decides to stand up for his values and chooses to operate on a little boy instead of on the mayor. Then, the little boy and his twin sister go missing, and after that there are a series of mysterious deaths in the hospital. That's where the series begins. It's fucking horrifying and there are too many episodes - after the first dozen episodes I skipped through the rest of the series. The closing theme is creepy and I like it. The anime is set in Germany in 1986 and there are some historical references, which I also like. Monster is a good show.
Last edited by emily on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image[/center]
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

At a family gathering yesterday, my niece (who's exactly a day younger than Meimi Tamura) recommended "Hetalia" and "Black Butler" to me. Anyone care to second the recommendations?
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Hetalia is good if you want something funny and are a bit of a history fan. Never seen Black Butler.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Madara"]
At a family gathering yesterday, my niece (who's exactly a day younger than Meimi Tamura) recommended "Hetalia" and "Black Butler" to me. Anyone care to second the recommendations?
[/quote]

Hetalia is somewhat politically incorrect and it's funny, but subbed really hard to follow at times.

Only ever read the Monster manga, but it's damn good.
NekoKaiSai
ANGERME

Post by NekoKaiSai »

[quote="Madara"]
[/quote]

Yes to both of them, Black Butler is darker, not quite Death Note dark, but close and there's a sequel that isn't horrible, but is pretty obviously not from the manga, kind of like GT to Dragonball Z.

Soul Eater is good, I think that's the only other one I've watched recently that I haven't seen mentioned.
<p class="bbc_center" style="text-align:left;">B!P workflow spreadsheet         Tutorial for Translators/Preppers
Sabaku Ika
モーニング娘。

Post by Sabaku Ika »

The Fall 2013 anime are starting and I plan to watch the first episodes of at least a few of them. I'll report back to this thread with what I find.

edit: Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Border seems promising so far. It's by Kyoto Animation, so at the very least, it looks good.
Last edited by Sabaku Ika on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://tsoape.wordpress.com">The Slowest of All Possible Elevators</a>
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://psnprofiles.com/staplefrog">[img ... lefrog.png[/img]</a>

Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

[quote="emily"]
Monster. It's a psychological thriller and detective show. It's about a bright young doctor at a hospital who makes choices that go against his integrity until it becomes too much. One day he decides to stand up for his values and operates on a little boy instead of on the mayor. Then, the little boy and his twin sister go missing, and after that there are a series of mysterious deaths in the hospital. That's where the series begins. It's fucking horrifying and there are too many episodes - after the first dozen episodes I skipped through the rest of the series. The closing theme is creepy and I like it. The anime is set in Germany in 1986 and there are some historical references, which I also like. Monster is a good show.
[/quote]

I enjoyed this, but because the anime moved at a slow-ish pace, I also stopped watching about halfway through and finished it through the manga (which it seemed to be adapted directly, so I think it comes down to preferences lol)

I watched Kill la Kill episode 1 from Trigger Animation. (who also did Little Witch Academia) Directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi who also did Gurren Lagaan (amazeballs), Panty and Stocking (amazeballs and hilarious), one of the animation directors on FLCL, so we should expect frantic animation coupled with comedy and sketchy "stills".

Aaaaannnnnd that's what we got! It pretty much puts the foot on the gas pedal from the first second and doesn't let off it for a second. Pure awesome. The twenty-four minutes flew past. The best way I can describe it is Utena on cocaine: student council controls everything, magical seifuku that bestow super abilities, transfer student that comes in and needs to battle her way though the council to get the answers she came to the school for. I enjoyed how it had an old school Japanese film trailer feel to the first episode, with the giant red text announcing the setting and characters at introduction. Some of the scene transitions and camera pans were very very nice too.
Here's hoping a AIM FOR THE ACE parody in episode 2!

edit - I forgot to note that her final outfit is rather...pandering in fanservice sense. Based on the character sheet and the fact that she absorbs the threads of the fuku she defeats maybe the fanservice form is the initial form and we get to see various? Well, if we don't I'm already used to pandering bullshit in anime, even in the ones that are considered "artistic". Same thing happens in movies, sex sells, I roll my eyes and move on. :lol:
Last edited by Melon on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

Mahou Shojo Madoka Magica, thats an incredible anime, very intense, dark and not like all magical girl animes. Currently its on YouTube.
Formerly Mizura
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Meganebu just started (episode 1 is on Crunchyroll) and it's a cute slice of life comedy. Five glasses wearing dorks team up to make x-ray glasses so they can see through inanimate objects (womens clothing). Episode 1 really quickly sets up the characters while providing real hijinks. There's a drama CD translated on YouTube that goes over how the guys got together to start the club.

I mentioned this in the Free! thread, but seeing as Meganebu is another fan-oriented show, is anyone interested in a dedicated thread? It may not be as globally captivating as gay swim boys, but it's what we've got until summer rolls back around.
Tsuki
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Tsuki »

Seeing as Free turned into essentially just you and I, I don't think a dedicated thread is going to be super worthwhile, Nesh. I haven't decided if I want to watch Meganebu yet but with the Fall TV season picking up and me watching 8 shows and another 3+ coming, I don't think I have time!

I'm even debating just watching Kill la Kill and Kyoukai Kanata (I have their first episodes downloaded but haven't watched them yet). Anime is always a hard sell for me these days.

Oh I did enjoy this post, related to the thread..ish: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/10/08/manga-and-anime-my-how-youve-changed/

and a bit more from where they got their original stuff from: http://himasoku1123.blogspot.jp/2013/10/90.html

eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

[quote="Sabaku Ika"]
The Fall 2013 anime are starting and I plan to watch the first episodes of at least a few of them. I'll report back to this thread with what I find.

edit: Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Border seems promising so far. It's by Kyoto Animation, so at the very least, it looks good.
[/quote]

Are you watching through Crunchy Roll?
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

I also watched Kyoukai no Kanata and I thought it was pretty cute! Kill la Kill looked interesting, but I think I didn't watch because the description was screwed up or something. I'm also weirdly interested in the Oshiri Kajiri Mushi anime since that song is, like, 7 years old now.

Too many animes~
Sabaku Ika
モーニング娘。

Post by Sabaku Ika »

[quote="eri"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Sabaku Ika" data-cid="164258" data-time="1380732775">
<div>

[/quote]

Are you watching through Crunchy Roll?

</div>
</blockquote>
Yes I am.
Other first impressions:
Kill la Kill is almost surely going to be awesome.
Non Non Biyori seems a bit dull, but in a way that people seem to like. I couldn't finish the first episode.
Golden Time is first comedy i can think of that takes place at a law school.
Log Horizon looks a little too much like Sword Art Online, but I might still give it a chance.
My Mental Choices Are Completely Interfering With My School Romantic Comedy is a terrible title but very promising so far.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://tsoape.wordpress.com">The Slowest of All Possible Elevators</a>
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://psnprofiles.com/staplefrog">[img ... lefrog.png[/img]</a>

neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

I started to watch that Multiple Choices Long Title Show, but had to turn it off it was so bad. The audio mix is way off and the concept is beyond dumb. KnK is still amazing and I'm ready for more Meganerdbu.
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

[quote="Sabaku Ika"]
Yes I am.
Other first impressions:
Non Non Biyori seems a bit dull, but in a way that people seem to like. I couldn't finish the first episode.
Log Horizon looks a little too much like Sword Art Online, but I might still give it a chance.
My Mental Choices Are Completely Interfering With My School Romantic Comedy is a terrible title but very promising so far.

[/quote]

I have officially watched more anime this season than I have in years. :rofl: thank you thread.

You mentioned law school in Golden Time, so that sounded interesting and I watched the first two episodes. Hmmm, maybe? I could see myself dropping it in a couple of episodes if it doesn't get interesting quickly. There were some cute parts though. I just don't have the patience to sit through that sort of... gutless protagonist anymore.

Kill la Kill continues to be over the top nonsense that is best viewed with brain functions set to "michael bay". I still love it. "WINNING WITH FRIENDSHIP MEANS WINNING AT LIFE!" It makes me want to rewatch Panty and Stocking.

Samurai Flamenco was something I watched due to the ridiculous name. It's about a model who's a sentai otaku that decides to become a real life superhero.... the first episode played out like the opening scenes of Kick Ass played straight. The straight man is a police officer of which the story is actually is from the perspective of...errr, I don't really know what to say about this show. I mean, it was animated all right, nothing special, nothing horrible and the plot could be interesting? I may watch episode 2 and see where it may head, but as a whole I guess it's pure run of the road so meh.

Coppelion is a "what if" future scenario involving Tokyo and Chernobyl-level nuclear meltdown. The good: I liked how in character closeups there is a stylistic choice to have a hard/bold outline around the characters. The bad: Okay, so they can't see Tokyo from the sky because of reasons, and the radiation is too bad for healthy humans to go and look. Even with specially developed suits, they can only manage only minutes before becoming ineffective.
SO
We have 3 girls who are test tube babies, genetically engineered to be immune to all forms of radiation. They can walk in Tokyo freely without worry. They are part of the military, yet they use "school" terms within it. Like, their commander is "Vice Principal", the leader of the trio is "Class Rep", ect. They wear school uniforms to do their survey of Tokyo (why would you go through ruins wearing short skirts and penny loafers again?), which involve among other things, looking for survivors. How can there be survivors?* It doesn't make sense. :|  Whatever, what could have been an interesting sci-fi story is not.

Galileo - Oh look, three sisters, two are older by anime standards, and one is actually in college no fanservice designs and futuristic fantasy looking wow I sure hope this will be interesting what the goldfish turns into a mecha and only the loli can pilot it? Awww HELL dammit Japan I'm out. Also, what the hell is up with the Japanese obsession with Galileo? Like, I think there's detective series, drama series, ect named after him? Huh?

KnK/BtB - This is another show I'll give another episode to see how I feel before staying or dropping.
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

[quote="Petit Melon"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Sabaku Ika" data-cid="164930" data-time="1381523401">
<div>

[/quote]

I have officially watched more anime this season than I have in years. :rofl: thank you thread.
You mentioned law school in Golden Time, so that sounded interesting and I watched the first two episodes. Hmmm, maybe? I could see myself dropping it in a couple of episodes if it doesn't get interesting quickly. There were some cute parts though. I just don't have the patience to sit through that sort of... gutless protagonist anymore.

Kill la Kill continues to be over the top nonsense that is best viewed with brain functions set to "michael bay". I still love it. "WINNING WITH FRIENDSHIP MEANS WINNING AT LIFE!" It makes me want to rewatch Panty and Stocking.

Samurai Flamenco was something I watched due to the ridiculous name. It's about a model who's a sentai otaku that decides to become a real life superhero.... the first episode played out like the opening scenes of Kick Ass played straight. The straight man is a police officer of which the story is actually is from the perspective of...errr, I don't really know what to say about this show. I mean, it was animated all right, nothing special, nothing horrible and the plot could be interesting? I may watch episode 2 and see where it may head, but as a whole I guess it's pure run of the road so meh.

Coppelion is a "what if" future scenario involving Tokyo and Chernobyl-level nuclear meltdown. The good: I liked how in character closeups there is a stylistic choice to have a hard/bold outline around the characters. The bad: Okay, so they can't see Tokyo from the sky because of reasons, and the radiation is too bad for healthy humans to go and look. Even with specially developed suits, they can only manage only minutes before becoming ineffective.
SO
We have 3 girls who are test tube babies, genetically engineered to be immune to all forms of radiation. They can walk in Tokyo freely without worry. They are part of the military, yet they use "school" terms within it. Like, their commander is "Vice Principal", the leader of the trio is "Class Rep", ect. They wear school uniforms to do their survey of Tokyo (why would you go through ruins wearing short skirts and penny loafers again?), which involve among other things, looking for survivors. How can there be survivors?* It doesn't make sense. :|  Whatever, what could have been an interesting sci-fi story is not.

Galileo - Oh look, three sisters, two are older by anime standards, and one is actually in college no fanservice designs and futuristic fantasy looking wow I sure hope this will be interesting what the goldfish turns into a mecha and only the loli can pilot it? Awww HELL dammit Japan I'm out. Also, what the hell is up with the Japanese obsession with Galileo? Like, I think there's detective series, drama series, ect named after him? Huh?

KnK/BtB - This is another show I'll give another episode to see how I feel before staying or dropping.

</div>
</blockquote>

Okay I can participate in this conversation now!

I tried out Non Non Biyori and certainly found it to be another show trying hard to be Azumanga Daioh.  I like the country setting but it is a little too relaxing haha. I don't know what the point of these shows are.

Beyond the Boundary has beautiful art work but I'm not really sold on the story line yet.

Nagi no Asukara is such a waste of a beautiful setting and great character designs.  The non-subtle bursts of fan service and the stock whiny helpless crying 13 year old girl with the brain of a 2 year old is getting REAL OLD.  It got old fast with Ano Hana and it got old 3 minutes in.  But...but...the setting is so gorgeous, so fantastic.  So I'm undecided. 

Gallileo was next on my list so I'm glad people like it. 
strawberryjam
ANGERME

Post by strawberryjam »

I'm only 15 years late and have nothing to contribute.

I just started watching Card Captor Sakura randomly and was just thinking, "WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE???!!!!"
Good thing eri started this thread and now I have other stuff to look forward to when this ends. :hahaha:

I felt really stupid when Kero-chan asked the viewers if we had finished our homework yet.. :hahaha: :cryalot: IS IT SO WRONG I THOUGHT THIS SHOW WAS FOR ADULTS LIKE ME TOO

rabbit reverie
here is a website in which I pretend I am an important person with important things to say.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

No need to feel stupid, Strawberry! In my opinion, the best animes are those that were made with children in mind. (CCSakura, Tokyo Mew Mew, Kaleido Star, Full Moon) They're the ones I love most  :heart:

I am now re-watching SAO because I can't find any new anime on it's level, so it's all been a disappointment. This is nothing new, though, I re-watch anime often. Just like I re-read the same books over and over...
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Kill la Kill is way amazing. The animation is gorgeous and I love some scowling women action. Definite watch this season. I love the teacher who slowly got more and more handsome in that one sequence. Thankfully, the show isn't caught up in doing the math and just breaks into action and plot. The mentioning of Nazi Germany in the very first sequence was an interesting point that is slowly emerging in the academy town system.

Meganebu is testing me and I think I only have one more episode's worth of patience left. This week was two mini-stories and I'm worried the universe isn't big enough to support such ADHD storytelling. Five members and one teacher isn't enough to sustain a show yet. Give us more characters (and a women or two kthx) and leave the school behind. The creators mentioned the show is going after the Free market, but even Free knew to lay any sort of groundwork. So far, there is 0 specific, overarching goal beyond "make X-ray glasses."
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

AKB0048 is really good. Its based off of AKB48 of course but they made it idk how to describe it but cool... I don't know its pretty good. The story is very suspenseful. Its on YouTube last I checked.
Formerly Mizura
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

Kill La Kill 3

What am I watching.

This is the most glorious, insane, outrageous, insert-synonym-of-disbelief show I have watched in years.

This was the final episode of most animu, and it was episode 3!

It was exciting, hilarious, frantic! This is Spinal Tap turning the dial to 11! This is mankind entering space for the first time!

God Bless you, Imaishi! :fags:

Those action sequences. :drooling: 

The Teacher's fanservice slays me every time. The little bit at the end where his pants spontaneously bust open (lbr, it was an orgasm joke) had me laughing like an immature schoolboy. Their tits jiggling during their transformation sequence was hilarious too. Don't look at it at face value, see it as the excess that it's meant to be! :D/
smtmissin
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by smtmissin »

If you had asked for manga...I could give you more than 200 titles that I like. But anime...I don't watch much. Sailormoon, Detective Conan, etc. are my childhood so I like them but if I was introduced to them at my age then I don't think I'd watch them (I mean, sailor moon. I still watch detective conan). Now I only follow animes that have some "mystery" element(and not violence) to it, with a few exceptions. Some anime that I recommend are:
1. Steins;Gate: awesome anime about time travel, very smart, many surprises to come as long as you are able to watch past the first few "boring" episode. I watched it twice, which is very rare.
2. Another: a horror anime. Every year in a special class of a school, a dead person will come back alive, and as a result many people associated with that class will die. Who is that dead person? No one know, because even the dead person doesn't know he/she is dead. Memory and documents are all altered mysteriously so that even the family of the dead person doesn't know he/she is dead and came back to life.
3. Darker than black: I watched this a long time ago, so I don't remember much of the plot. You should wiki it. But I was totally into it.
4. Macross Frontier: is a science fiction space anime. The Macross series is very famous. You can also watch the first Macross series, which is: The super dimension fortress macross. That one is extremely good as well. Both anime have very good music.
5. <i>Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (both seasons): a horror anime, the first season is quite bloody, but the second season is more on psychological side. An anime with cute silly girls which is rare for me to watch but I watched it anyway because it is amazing with many mysteries involved.</i>

There are more, but right now that's all I can remember. Someone recommended Monster in a previous post. The manga for that is extremely good. I never watched that anime though.

Sorry I don't watch magical girls.
Last edited by smtmissin on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

^ Steins;gate is awesome but I agree, the first few episodes are boring. Around episode 13 or so I finished it 2 days after that.

And for the anime I reccomend, is Fairy tail! Its really funny and it reminds me a lot of One Piece. 
Formerly Mizura