Any decent anime?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

Ap2000
つんく♂

Re: Any decent anime?

Post by Ap2000 »

Haré+Guu is the best comedy anime.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="169893" data-time="1389800410">2014 is the year of Mushishi.
2014 is the year anime is being saved from the claws of moeshit.</blockquote>
Is Mushishi like Cowboy Bebop level good? For some reason I know nothing about it, just heard the title a few times. I have very little faith in anime made after 2000 due to moeshit flooding, and there's no reliable source of recommendations either. ANN, /a/, and even anidb aren't, with most of the public giving into the trends. I burned myself a few times already giving a chance to some more recent series, so now I'm mostly catching up with all the 90's stuff that I never got around to before.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="arcobaleno" data-cid="169934" data-time="1389823576">Slice of life anime/manga is my favorite genre, but to be honest, the only one I really remember (and more than totally recommend) is Azumanga Daioh. It's wacko, of course, but it's hilarious and has its more simpler moments.</blockquote>
Azumanga is a class of its own. You can call it wacko, but to avoid negative connotations I prefer the term magical realism. And if anyone is looking for just cute, "normal", but not boring slice-of-life, then it doesn't get better and more adorable than Ichigo Mashimaro. It's just a damn shame it never got another season.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="169967" data-time="1389872911">Haré+Guu is the best comedy anime.</blockquote>
I remember watching a few fansubbed episodes shortly after it came out, it was pretty trippy. Maybe I'll give it another go soon.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

I'm checking out Ichigo Mashimaro after school. It always seems that a lot of really good shows (even outside of anime) only get one season, like Azumanga.

But "magical realism," that's definitely a great term to describe Azumanga.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="aine"]

Is Mushishi like Cowboy Bebop level good? For some reason I know nothing about it, just heard the title a few times. I have very little faith in anime made after 2000 due to moeshit flooding, and there's no reliable source of recommendations either. ANN, /a/, and even anidb aren't, with most of the public giving into the trends. I burned myself a few times already giving a chance to some more recent series, so now I'm mostly catching up with all the 90's stuff that I never got around to before.

[/quote]

I'd call Mushishi the prime example that you can have beautiful and extremely well thought out and written stories in an episodic format. Some are very tragic and some bittersweet.
Though there is an overarching setting and later on some explanations of why the main character Ginko is the way he is, you could easily watch any episode and barely misunderstand anything. Except for maybe three of the 26 episodes.
If I'd have to compare it to something; it's extremely similar to Mononoke (not the Ghibli thing) and rather similar to Kino no tabi, both really good too.
Kino no tabi because of the stories and Mononoke because it's like watching a bizarre ukiyo-e come to life.

Just be prepared for melancholy.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="169976" data-time="1389889655">I'd call Mushishi the prime example that you can have beautiful and extremely well thought out and written stories in an episodic format. Some are very tragic and some bittersweet.
Though there is an overarching setting and later on some explanations of why the main character Ginko is the way he is, you could easily watch any episode and barely misunderstand anything. Except for maybe three of the 26 episodes.
If I'd have to compare it to something; it's extremely similar to Mononoke (not the Ghibli thing) and rather similar to Kino no tabi, both really good too.
Kino no tabi because of the stories and Mononoke because it's like watching a bizarre ukiyo-e come to life.

Just be prepared for melancholy.</blockquote>
I like this recommendation, I guess I'll put Mushishi in the pile of shame to-watch queue. I never saw Mononoke or Kino no Tabi either, but the former I've been interested in and the latter I had on my must-see list for the longest time now.

I got my second Cowboy Bebop BluRay box earlier this week, so I'll just need to fight the urge to re-watch it end to end again. :ph34r:

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

You must watch Mononoke, it's one of my all-time favorite anime. It's a shame it was a part of a series whose other parts weren't anywhere near as good though. It's also got a two-volume manga adaptation that is very true to the source material and very well drawn. It's only available in Japanese though, but it's got a prime spot on my bookshelf because it's so pretty. :lol:

I'm still trying to get around to Mushishi. Kino no tabi is now added to the list. Azumanga is on there now too. Gimme 3 years and I'll have gone through them. Probably.
pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

Are there any short story romance animes?  Miracle Train is kind of, but I could never get into it. 
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="pandapanda"]
Are there any short story romance animes?  Miracle Train is kind of, but I could never get into it. 
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by "short", but going through my anidb.net list with the tag "romance", I remember these being good:

Rec is cute and not so stupid like most of the cute ones:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=3656

2+2=5cm per second is nice, especially visually:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4568

Nodame Cantabile has a really great first season:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4691

Eve no jikan might not strictly speaking fall into this category, but it's very much worth it anyway:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5132

Welcome to the NHK might not strictly speaking fall into this category, but it has an interesting relationship in it:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4121

Golden Boy, Chobits and Love Hina, if you're ok with more dick-centered ones. lol
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

[quote="arcobaleno"]
I'm checking out Ichigo Mashimaro after school. It always seems that a lot of really good shows (even outside of anime) only get one season, like Azumanga.
[/quote]
This is my all time favorite Manga! There is only one season, but there are 2 OVA's for a total of 5 extra episodes! It's pretty true to the manga, and there were only 5 volumes released when the anime was made (now there is 7).

I keep hearing about Attack on Titan, is it really that good? I tend to only watch shojo animes.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

I also tend to just watch Shoujo, but yes, Attack on Titan is really that good.I haven't finished the last two episodes, though, until season 2 comes out.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="pandapanda" data-cid="169984" data-time="1389895294">Are there any short story romance animes?  Miracle Train is kind of, but I could never get into it.</blockquote>
Dumping titles from my watched list that had significant romance elements. Mind you, they're not straight-up romances (and definitely not rom-coms) and some are pretty non-mainstream, but all are excellent titles on their own.

Sorted by rating, then alphabetically. I stopped at the Very Good rating (yeah, I use ANN to keep track of what I watched, bite me).

Angel's Egg (movie) - I couldn't not add it. It's short and if it's not romance then I don't know what it is.
Jin-Roh - The Wolf Brigade (movie)
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal (OAV)
She and Her Cat (OAV)
Voices of a Distant Star (OAV) - an absolute must-see indie anime.
Escaflowne: The Movie - and definitely the TV series too. You should watch the TV series first, I just rate the movie higher for the visuals and the overall mood.
Honey and Clover (TV) - more of a slice-of-life, but has plenty of romance too. And is a beautiful eye-candy at the same time.
Millennium Actress (movie)
On Your Mark (movie)
(The) Super Dimension Fortress Macross (TV) - one of the ultimate anime classics and one of the greatest romances told in the last 30 years. Macross Plus and Macross Zero are also great, but I recommend watching the original series if only for its legacy.
Tenchi Muyo Movie 3: Tenchi Forever - I loved the mood of this movie. It's the only Tenchi Muyo thing I ever watched - probably not a good idea, but I knew enough about the story and setting to get what's going on. The TV series (or was it OAV) is one of the 90's classics, but AFAIK it's more of a comedy-harem series.
Ah! My Goddess: The Movie - another theatrical installment of a famous romance OAV series. Again, knowing some background would be recommended.
(The) Girl Who Leapt Through Time (movie)
Macross Plus (OAV)
(The) Place Promised in Our Early Days (movie)
(Le) Portrait de Petite Cossette (OAV)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (TV) - the ultimate in shoujo romance.
SaiKano (TV) - The Last Love Song On This Little Planet.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

I'll add to some, too. Some are rom-coms.

Lovely Complex
Kaichou ha Maid-sama!
Skip Beat! (After the anime ends the Manga picks up)
<p style="margin:0px;">Suki-tte Ii na yo.
<p style="margin:0px;">Toradora!
<p style="margin:0px;">Working!!
<p style="margin:0px;"> 
<p style="margin:0px;">Just a few I have watched over and over. I literally can't tell you how many times I have watch LoveCom. It's in Osaka-ben and I love it  :heart:
<p style="margin:0px;">They are all available on animeseason. Last I checked.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="pandapanda" data-cid="169984" data-time="1389895294">
</blockquote>

Dumping titles from my watched list that had significant romance elements. Mind you, they're not straight-up romances (and definitely not rom-coms) and some are pretty non-mainstream, but all are excellent titles on their own.

Sorted by rating, then alphabetically. I stopped at the Very Good rating (yeah, I use ANN to keep track of what I watched, bite me).

Angel's Egg (movie) - I couldn't not add it. It's short and if it's not romance then I don't know what it is.
Jin-Roh - The Wolf Brigade (movie)
Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal (OAV)
She and Her Cat (OAV)
Voices of a Distant Star (OAV) - an absolute must-see indie anime.
Escaflowne: The Movie - and definitely the TV series too. You should watch the TV series first, I just rate the movie higher for the visuals and the overall mood.
Honey and Clover (TV) - more of a slice-of-life, but has plenty of romance too. And is a beautiful eye-candy at the same time.
Millennium Actress (movie)
On Your Mark (movie)
(The) Super Dimension Fortress Macross (TV) - one of the ultimate anime classics and one of the greatest romances told in the last 30 years. Macross Plus and Macross Zero are also great, but I recommend watching the original series if only for its legacy.
Tenchi Muyo Movie 3: Tenchi Forever - I loved the mood of this movie. It's the only Tenchi Muyo thing I ever watched - probably not a good idea, but I knew enough about the story and setting to get what's going on. The TV series (or was it OAV) is one of the 90's classics, but AFAIK it's more of a comedy-harem series.
Ah! My Goddess: The Movie - another theatrical installment of a famous romance OAV series. Again, knowing some background would be recommended.
Macross Plus (OAV)
(The) Place Promised in Our Early Days (movie)
(Le) Portrait de Petite Cossette (OAV)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (TV) - the ultimate in shoujo romance.
SaiKano (TV) - The Last Love Song On This Little Planet.

[/quote]

That's just as good a list for people who are NOT looking for "short story romance anime." I'm guessing they're not what PandaPanda had in mind, but there are many must-sees on that list and I'm sure she won't be disappointed if she gives them a try. TENCHI FOREVER is a masterpiece, but so is the preceding movie, TENCHI MUYO IN LOVE. Don't forget that one.
RUROUNI KENSHIN: TRUST AND BETRAYAL is as good a samurai drama as almost any live-action film in the genre, short of Kurosawa. I'd hold off on JIN-ROH and ANGEL'S EGG until after you've gotten your feet wet with a lot of other artsy anime first. They require a lot more patience. Break into those a little more slowly. See MILLENNIUM ACTRESS first. 
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Call me not artsy fartsy enough, but Place Promised In Our Early Days was garbage to me. It was a fucking MASTERPIECE visually but ugh that forced storyline of another triangle love story between former best friends. If I wanted to see that again, I'll watch Macross Plus again (which is another of my all time faves because the guy who made Ghost in the Shell is behind it).

So I dunno, I feel like the only person who didn't like that movie.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="170054" data-time="1389993632">That's just as good a list for people who are NOT looking for "short story romance anime." I'm guessing they're not what PandaPanda had in mind, [..]</blockquote> 
Pretty much had the same thought and that's why my list was so short. I looked up the anime that didn't "just have some romance in it", but where the romance and partnership was in the center. 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="170056" data-time="1389994800">Call me not artsy fartsy enough, but Place Promised In Our Early Days was garbage to me. It was a fucking MASTERPIECE visually but ugh that forced storyline of another triangle love story between former best friends. [..]

So I dunno, I feel like the only person who didn't like that movie.</blockquote> 
Gave it a 7 on AniDB, felt pretty much the same.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="170062" data-time="1389998454"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="170054" data-time="1389993632">That's just as good a list for people who are NOT looking for "short story romance anime." I'm guessing they're not what PandaPanda had in mind, [..]</blockquote> 
Pretty much had the same thought and that's why my list was so short. I looked up the anime that didn't "just have some romance in it", but where the romance and partnership was in the center.</blockquote>
¯\(O_o)/¯ Well cry me a river you two. I made the disclaimer. There's no "pure romance" anime, when people say "pure romance" they really mean "romance with comedy" or "romance with melodrama". Personally I think broadly defined science-fiction has some of the greatest romance stories in it across all media, and indeed most of the titles I listed are "romance with science-fiction". Pick your poison.

The highest rated "pure" romance series I have on my list is Video Girl Ai. It's a famous classic too and one of the early wave of anime being widely distributed in the West, but after re-watching it without nostalgia goggles a couple of years ago I decided it wasn't really that great (though far from bad), so it didn't make the cut. And I could argue that it's also "romance with science-fiction" when you think about it. :tongue:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="170056" data-time="1389994800">Call me not artsy fartsy enough, but Place Promised In Our Early Days was garbage to me. It was a fucking MASTERPIECE visually but ugh that forced storyline of another triangle love story between former best friends. If I wanted to see that again, I'll watch Macross Plus again (which is another of my all time faves because the guy who made Ghost in the Shell is behind it).

So I dunno, I feel like the only person who didn't like that movie.</blockquote>
I definitely don't dislike it, but I remember feeling let down a bit. But it was due to massively inflated hype and expectations after Voices of the Distant Star, and some five years it took to complete and release it since the first trailer was shown (sugoi! hikouki, remember?). It's still a lovely film, but I guess Shinkai just doesn't work that well in feature-length. I need to watch his 5cm per Second finally while I'm at it.
Last edited by aine on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="pandapanda" data-cid="169984" data-time="1389895294">
</blockquote>
She and Her Cat (OAV)..

[/quote]

Oh gosh, I love all these 3.  The last one is wonderful and much more "Romance" than I expected. 
pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

I'm definitely in the rom com category, but I like Utena, so thanks!

Recently I've been watching Daughter of Twenty Faces.
It's so good.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Probably my favorite love story anime is OCEAN WAVES, aka I CAN HEAR THE OCEAN, aka UMI GA KIKOERU (1993), a TV movie produced by Studio Ghibli.

Here's the link to my review of it on the Otaku USA website:
http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/SearchAudience/News1/Studio_Ghiblis_Ocean_Waves_4480.aspx

And the famous "prosecution" scene:
Last edited by Madara on Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
NekoKaiSai
ANGERME

Post by NekoKaiSai »

I just finished AnoHana.  It's slice-of-life-y, which isn't usually my type, but all the characters have great depth and it's only 11 episodes long.  My eyes are still red from crying so much.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
<p class="bbc_center" style="text-align:left;">B!P workflow spreadsheet         Tutorial for Translators/Preppers
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

I've been rewatching Oniisama E.  It is like good old meldoramatic 70s shojo. 
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

We finished watching Card Captor Sakura a while ago. It seems that Strawberry has her new favourite anime series. :lol: I wouldn't call it my absolute favourite, but it's definitely in my top 10. Note that my top 10 includes many more titles than the nominal 10 and simply means that it's really damn good and worth watching by everyone. It's just a really cute, unpretentious, and beautifully drawn 90's anime. The mahou shoujo elements are really hardly there, it could very well do without them and be just straight-on slice-of-life. The movies didn't disappoint either.

To make this magical moment last a bit longer we started watching Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. Unfortunately, the only magical thing about it is how it manages to be such utter garbage with so much potential in the familiar characters and themes. :lol: I'd be hard pressed to name more two-dimensional characters than in this series. Animation and drawing quality are poor and lifeless. Elements such as character development, tension build-up or just any competent plot writing are replaced by epic and usually epically mismatched bits of Yuki Kajiura music (whom I otherwise love). I didn't see any of the manga, but based on the TV series so far (13 out of 50-odd episodes in) I must conclude that CLAMP resorted to a least-effort fan-wank and quick cash grab.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, it's been on for awhile now (Since 2012 an it just ended this month). But I just started watching it over the weekend. I wasn't feeling well and I needed something to watch.

Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers), right now I'm on episode 34. It goes up to 99, where it ends. 

I love everything and anything to do with space travel so it had me hooked after a few episodes. I get a chuckle at the depiction of Americans, but that's not a big deal. I was wondering if they would try to Americanize the Japanese but they didn't for 90% of the characters. I'm not a super big fan of the realistic anime characters. But it's just a personal preference.  

I like how they go back and forth between the characters as kids and than adults. However, as something I usually find with these long running shows, the reused animation sequences are getting kind of annoying. 30+ episodes in and I'm still getting recapped sometimes on something that happened in episode 1. I think my biggest pet peeve would be that I feel for a show that's supposed to be set in 2025, NASA  seem a little outdated? I know it's not THAT far into the future, but I mean, at least update the equipment a bit more. Still wasting all those rocket parts. Tsk! 

There's also a live action movie I'd like to find. Hopefully subbed. I'm interested to see how they deal with the American parts. They don't show much in the trailer.

Watching this anime makes me feel like I'm back in Elementary school, watching TV and the Astronauts going into space and it makes me remember my early dreams of wanting to do the same thing. Then reality check time came in and I realized I'd never be able to be one. I had the attention span of a gnat and 0% math skills.  :cryalot: Ah it sucks that reality. 

Also, been watching Kill la Kill. Not much to say about that. It's basically a mind number anime. All the series I'm watching are coming to an end. I don't know what to do with myself. T_T

Gin no Saji 2 and Wake Up, Girls have been my two favorite this season. I'll need to find something else to watch soon. It's hard because I'm not a big fan of the fan service and no substance in the plot. I'm not really sure why I'm watching Kill la Kill. It might be because the plot is so strange that I just can't help but see what the hell they were trying to do.

Seriously... what the hell is in Japan's water supply?

Anyway. If you want some GOOD probably best anime you've seen in awhile. Watch Uchuu Kyoudai and Gin no Saji. The stories are just so good. It was like, I was almost ready to throw in the towel that they could still release anime like this. And then I see it and it just drew me in. Not over the top and true to life. With a few chuckles here and there. That's how I like my anime. :)
Last edited by Shoujo Q on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="169893" data-time="1389800410">Stop them even more !

After eight years, Mushishi is getting a second season:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=10384
Same studio, same director, same composer.

2014 is the year of Mushishi.
2014 is the year anime is being saved from the claws of moeshit.</blockquote>
FUKKEN SAVED

The special episode was pretty good and the first two episodes of the new second season also started off very interesting. The first one put things into perspective, which is for this show a very major thing, and the second one was a "typical" Mushishi episode.
Music's also really damn good and fitting. I can't wait to get my hands on this new season's OST.

Holy shit, I love this anime so much.
pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

The Winter and Spring 2014 anime offerings on Crunchyroll are so up my alley.

Nisekoi is so good.  And Kagami no Asobi, Nanana's Buried Treasure, and La Corda d'oro are all looking good.  Now to wait for new episodes.... :sigh: normally I binge watch all the episodes of an anime in a weekend, but these are still airing....
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I'm only watching one anime right now. Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii. I could do without the continuous showing over underage boy ass, but other than that it's not a bad show. Kind of hard to understand who the market for this anime is. Male or Female?  While it's about a older head strong teenage princess from a poor kingdom who gets married off to an even younger teenage boy who just happens to be a king and hit puberty when he was 5 in his vocal department and likes to sleep naked. Some political intrigue and plot surrounding their butting of heads and slow development in the mutual respect department. 

You know where it's going before it even begins. I'm apparently scraping the barrel here because literally, every anime series I've been watching ALL ended in the spring. If anyone could help me out, that would be great. Summer can't come fast enough. 

This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

NISEKOOII! I knew I recognized that name.

I really love that manga artist! I admit I didn't like Nisekoi much so I quit following, but I'm so happy he got popular enough for an anime! :cryalot: A really awesome manga he was working on before got canceled, Double Arts, so I hope he gets super popular so he can create something else like it that won't die. I'm one of those delusional fans who holds onto hope that it could be revived one day, ugh...
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

NekoKaiSai
ANGERME

Post by NekoKaiSai »

I've been watching Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, and it took me a few episodes but I got hooked.  I'm still in the first season, but I wanted to ask arcobaleno if that's where he got his username, because this question has plagued me. :dammit:
<p class="bbc_center" style="text-align:left;">B!P workflow spreadsheet         Tutorial for Translators/Preppers
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

I'm watching Attack on Titan. On Ep 17 and shit is getting readl. It's definitely freaky. The titans are as creepy as the EVAs in Evangelion, IMO. Humanoid monsters skeeve me out.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!