12th Auditions Winners Announced! "Golden Audition"

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

al kusanagi
つんく♂

Re: 12th Auditions Winners Announced! "Golden Audition"

Post by al kusanagi »

Why do I think that despite adding a 12 year old, Masaki will still be the baby of the group?
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

*Cough* 12ki officially has their first photo sets up for purchase.... I may or may not be getting Miki    :kev:
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

Based on this week's HelloSute footage, it seems like Miki is a standout while Haruna's an underdog.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

Yeah, I agree. Oharu's cute, but she sings very quietly, but even then, she doesn't sound too horrid. Hopefully she can learn to project and sound good. Miki is a GREAT singer and dancer, and she definitely is the standout for sure.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Well, 1 out of 4 isn't... too bad?
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Banana
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Banana »

Huh. I thought for sure Miki and Haruna would be at least decent since both Maria and Akane aren't. Oh, well. I wonder who they will push from this generation. Miki seems like the only one with considerable talent, but I think she's the least popular atm and is (arguably) the worst-looking of the bunch. (I'm just talking about being pushed in singing/getting lines. Maria will undoubtedly be pushed for her looks, doing photoshoots and things of that nature.)
Last edited by Banana on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Yeah, I'm afraid Miki's talents will go straight to the back and she'll be the next Haruka. She seems like the most interesting of the bunch so far, so that tells me everyone else will get time to shine instead.

Though she could always be the personality of the gen, which can sometimes overcome management's decisions on who to push and who to keep in the back.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

I love Miki's dancing and she sings well so I hope she won't be pushed at the back..
Campy <3 !
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

Miki has a good voice, but she needs to open her mouth when she sings and properly sing from her diaphragm. I feel like she was straining a bit. But I like her a lot. She had a lot of confidence during the audition it seemed, like Riho and Ayumi did.

Oharu doesn't know her own voice well enough. She's trying to sing too high for herself. But i believe she will be better with more practice.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Banana
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Banana »

Miki's technique definitely needs work. There was a lot of tension in her neck and throat when she was singing. But I think she'll be one of the better voices in the group with a little more training. 

I wouldn't describe Haruna's singing as too high. Besides singing off-key, she has that flat, nasal, monotone-voice that a lot of kids have. Like Kosuga Fuyuka, for example. Not much you can do with that. :/ But... if she's motivated, anything's possible. There have been people who have surprised me before. 
Last edited by Banana on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Oh gosh Miki is still my favorite :'D  I like how she was almost laughing during her audition. They should get Kanon to tutor Miki cause Kanon alwaaaays talks and sings with her mouth open, lol. 
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="Banana"]
Miki's technique definitely needs work. There was a lot of tension in her neck and throat when she was singing. But I think she'll be one of the better voices in the group with a little more training. 

I wouldn't describe Haruna's singing as too high. Besides singing off-key, she has that flat, nasal, monotone-voice that a lot of kids have. Like Kosuga Fuyuka, for example. Not much you can do with that. :/ But... if she's motivated, anything's possible. There have been people who have surprised me before. 
[/quote]

Yeah, motivation is key. I had all the problems (and more) that Oharu has with her singing, but after 2 years of constant determination, I've managed to develop a voice that doesn't sound like cats being murdered (I still think I have a ways to go, but I'm still constantly learning and getting better).

If she has the determination for it, she'll be able to get better, especially since they can take voice lessons and such. Miki's definitely one of those people with the talent already in them, so if she's diligent, she'll develop a great voice, but Oharu, like me, will take a lot more hard work and determination since she's going to have to fight her way to a good voice.

I have hope for both of them, but at the same time, I know how, rather, er, shady UFP is with vocal training and stuff.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

[quote="Saya"]
Miki has a good voice, but she needs to open her mouth when she sings and properly sing from her diaphragm. I feel like she was straining a bit. But I like her a lot. She had a lot of confidence during the audition it seemed, like Riho and Ayumi did.

Oharu doesn't know her own voice well enough. She's trying to sing too high for herself. But i believe she will be better with more practice.
[/quote]
Oh god, I know no one cares about my lame, nerdy ~opera trained vocalist~ commentary on idol vocals but I find it so fun to discuss so I'm going to do it anyway, despite it probably making me seem long-winded and pretentious LOL.

All I can say is good luck on the "properly sing from her diaphragm" bit because even most of H!P's most lauded singers mostly sing with really, really improper, throaty, squeal-like placement.  Takahashi Ai is a perfect example - easily going down as one of the most respected idol vocalists in recent years, but had to get vocal node surgery just last year (or was it early this year?) due to vocal nodes from singing with terrible technique.  The best of idol vocalists, for the most part, are girls who have learned how to master the art of singing improperly.  They've learned to control their voices around the unnecessary strain and tightness that comes from singing in the high pitched, youthful, bright idol sound.  

The only reason I think Tanaka Reina managed to not develop nodes is because Momusu's music probably didn't require her to strain quite as much as it did Takahashi Ai, whose singing voice had a slightly darker color to it. I'm not sure what H!P's vocal coaches get paid to do - and I know the girls at least occasionally get a bit of instruction, as shown from behind the scenes footage that has showed them getting a little training before tours and whatnot.  I know vocals don't matter for idols - but I don't know how any vocal coach worth their salt can be okay with and even encourage singing in a way that can permanently damage the voice (which I have absolutely seen them do, in old clips of Linlin getting trained where the vocal coach kept insisting that she end her notes with a "squeak" rather than a healthy, open, sustained vibrato.)

It's possible she'll improve on her own (I improved loads on my own before I even started taking instruction in high school), but it'll definitely require personal initiative, as I don't think she'll be getting any proper advice or training from H!P.  I hope she does it, because Momusu is in some dire straights vocally right now.  Then again, their new EDM sound and lack of solos in songs doesn't seem to call for any shining vocalists.

/ nerd
Last edited by Farrah on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Takahashi's surgery was spring of last year, after she finished up a play.

The girls do frequently mention having lessons, and Aika was still having them not long before graduating. Take that as you will.
Last edited by Anderei on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

That's very interesting.  With someone like Aika it's hard to even judge her technique since singing was obviously a struggle for her anyway.  But if they all (or most) receive lessons continuously... then that's pretty upsetting to me LOL.  A friend of mine (H!P fan) who is studying to become a choir teacher was talking with me not long ago about how H!P's vocal coaches must just show up for the cash if girls with potential (Ai, Reina, Maki, Nacchi, Risa, Kamei etc) are still singing with horrible, easily corrected habits.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

I don't know diddly squat about proper singing versus terrible singing technique, but I've noticed that Reina sounds a lot better in her post-idol days than the whiny squealy thing she did with her voice in MM. She finally stopped squeaking at the end of her lines, and sounds like she's singing in a more natural voice that's not as high pitched.

I didn't have much experience with her, but I thought Kago sounded very good in her MM days. Sakura Mankai had some great vocals all around, but I thought she sounded especially awesome.
Banana
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Banana »

I went looking for the Linlin video, and I found it. It's low-quality and it's a video within a video that they played during a fanclub event. It starts around 5:00. 

There's also these -- Tanaka Reina voice lessons: 1, 2, 3, 4. (I have no idea what order they go in, so... yeah.)

On the subject of current Reina, she sounds great around low to mid range, but once she goes higher, her voice still gets very thin and very squeaky. And she's pitchy there, too. Like a lot of her high notes will be a little flat. 
Last edited by Banana on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

I think two of the best singers H!P ever managed were Maeda Yuki and Matsuura Aya, but Yuki was an enka artist and Ayaya's career kind of veered away from being a straight-up idol after a few years so idk if they count. Masae and Yasuda Kei as well possibly, although I haven't heard a lot of them live so they could be terrible in concert for all I know LOL. I think tons of others (Ai, Aibon, Eririn, Maki, etc) developed a very admirable way of controlling their voices despite using some less than healthy techniques. I also agree that Reina's voice got better after Momusu, and I even think it improved a bit in her later years of Momusu.  The years of 2006-2008 were a dark and squeaky time for her, imo.  That clip of them pressuring Linlin to squeak and squeal will never not infuriate me, to be honest.

For those curious to hear what kind of technique would have contributed to giving Ai vocal nodes, I recommend watching this video at 3:23, 3:39, 3:50, 4:13, 4:27, etc.  That is straight up screaming and straining, all in the neck and the nose and the throat and nothing coming from a healthy place.  It's not even a particularly high belt, it doesn't sound so rough because of range, it sounds so strained because it's simply being placed and projected in the absolute most unhealthy way. Even people with a decent level of natural ability like Ai will sound gross when they have to sing something like this that requires a kind of knowledge that you can really only gain from proper training on how to belt without hurting yourself.
Last edited by Farrah on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Imo, Ogata was chosen for her appearance, atmosphere, margin available for *huge* improvment and uniqueness (figure skating, looks and from Osaka)... They can help her improve more and then she'll be someone fans can look at and say "wow she's improved!" Miki was chosen for her personality (polite, straightforward, immediately understanding and a natural talker), singing, and English skills. At least that's what I can see. Dancing is important but they've shown that they can teach anyone to properly dance with enough practice. (Suzuki, Ikuta, Haruna.)
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Miki seems to have all the tools, and I think she will pretty-up well enough. She has a naturally engaging smile. I can see her becoming fairly popular after not too long.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I'd agree if Sakura had become popular by now, but she hasn't.

[quote="TicTacAnyone"]
Imo, Ogata was chosen for her appearance, atmosphere, margin available for *huge* improvment and uniqueness (figure skating, looks and from Osaka)... They can help her improve more and then she'll be someone fans can look at and say "wow she's improved!" Miki was chosen for her personality (polite, straightforward, immediately understanding and a natural talker), singing, and English skills. At least that's what I can see. Dancing is important but they've shown that they can teach anyone to properly dance with enough practice. (Suzuki, Ikuta, Haruna.)
[/quote]

OR, they were so worried that people would miss Sayumi that they decided to add three new Sayumis for when she was gone.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Anderei"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="TicTacAnyone" data-cid="180861" data-time="1413433560">
<div>
[/quote]

OR, they were so worried that people would miss Sayumi that they decided to add three new Sayumis for when she was gone.
</div>
</blockquote>

Who is the third? O_O
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="TicTacAnyone"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="180863" data-time="1413433871">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="TicTacAnyone" data-cid="180861" data-time="1413433560">
<div>
[/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

Who is the third? O_O

</div>
</blockquote>

I think he's suggesting that all of the 12th gen minus Miki are Sayumis.

TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="JPope"]

[/quote]

I thought Miki would be the third of 12ki, lol... I get Akane and Maria, but Miki or Ogata? I think people are projecting more than what the judges intended.... When Nacchi left did they replace her with mini-abes? Takahashi was "replaced" by Riho who both is and isn't similar to her, but the rest of her generation were all different girls. Why does Sayumi have to be that important that they put three similar girls in her spot? I can see one or two being similar, but I don't think that's how this worked out.
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

Haruna seems to be reaaally shy when singing, I hope we get to actually hear her soon.
And as some people said, they ~I mean Miki~ is on her Pre-Idol Awkward-looking phase, so let's just wait for her metamorphosis

Btw Haruna is my favorite from what I see for the moment, but I truly think she will be the ignored Kanon of this generation

[quote="TicTacAnyone"]
(figure skating, looks and from Osaka)
[/quote]
What's the deal with her being from Osaka? Sorry, I'm not into Japanese cities and prefectures at all
Last edited by Derby on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Hey
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="TicTacAnyone"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="180869" data-time="1413438986">
<div>

[/quote]

I thought Miki would be the third of 12ki, lol... I get Akane and Maria, but Miki or Ogata? I think people are projecting more than what the judges intended.... When Nacchi left did they replace her with mini-abes? Takahashi was "replaced" by Riho who both is and isn't similar to her, but the rest of her generation were all different girls. Why does Sayumi have to be that important that they put three similar girls in her spot? I can see one or two being similar, but I don't think that's how this worked out.

</div>
</blockquote>

lol TicTac don't think about it so hard. The joke is that none of them except Miki can sing.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

I must have bizarre taste, because to me, Maria and Haruna are hands down the "awkward" looking ones of this gen.  
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

If it's any consolation, I don't think Maria's very pretty at all either.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Anderei"]

lol TicTac don't think about it so hard. The joke is that none of them except Miki can sing.
[/quote]

.......Ooooooooohhhhhhh.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

[quote="Anderei"]
If it's any consolation, I don't think Maria's very pretty at all either.
[/quote]
<div>I think the idol make over and some good hair to balance out the asymmetry in her face will make her cute but not the huge beauty a lot of my friends seem to think she is.After watching the audition footage, I'm kind of amazed Haruna passed the auditions (yes, she has personality, but it doesn't appear to have shown much in the audition process so I don't know if they knew she would be such a weirdo, LOL).  Miki's voice is not amazing, but I think she could come out sounding a bit like a mix of Maeda Yuka and Eririn if she improves.  She seems to be the most well rounded addition to a generation since Haruka (above average singing and dancing).  God knows if they'll use it, though, since they've done nothing with Haruka despite her being not only talented, but popular.</div>
Last edited by Farrah on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.