S/mileage 3rd gen coming 10/4.

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Anderei
つんく♂

Re: S/mileage 3rd gen coming 10/4.

Post by Anderei »

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Morning Musume is the only group name they've ever actually bothered to get the trademark for themselves.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

It's possible, I'm just amazed that this many years into S/mileage's career they've allowed themselves to be put in the position to have to change a group's entire identity based on a probably avoidable trademarking issue.
NekoKaiSai
ANGERME

Post by NekoKaiSai »

Considering WWE was WWF for 23 years before the other WWF finally did anything about it, it's really not that many years into their career.
<p class="bbc_center" style="text-align:left;">B!P workflow spreadsheet         Tutorial for Translators/Preppers
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

I guess I didn't know this was such a common practice. It seems so silly to invest probably hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars into something, building a reputation behind the name, and so on - and then leave yourself open to have to completely re-brand it.  I guess it happens a lot but it must suck, especially for something like an idol group that already has a rather small window of time for success. 
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

To me, its just stupid on the company's part if they don't trademark names, even though I know a lot of them don't.
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

For something like the WWE, I think they can get away with it because they had been around for 23 years and you can't really become interested in wrestling without finding out that the WWE exists. But for an idol group... seems like changing the name, if it has to be a significant change, could be like starting over from scratch.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

If the trademark scenario is real, it was probably a matter of Up Front not doing their due diligence from the start -- or foolishly believing that adding the backslash would protect them from action -- and having it bite them in the ass years later. Something like this: Up Front didn't bother to check international trademarks when naming the group, and the original holder of the name never knew of the idol group -- why would they? -- until the kid of Someone Who Matters got into them, which alerted Someone Who Matters about the group, who then proceeded to take action against Up Front.
Last edited by JPope on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShiroiChanUK
こぶしファクトリー

Post by ShiroiChanUK »

I wasn't expecting this and I'm not that keen on this announcement. I wish that S/mileage stuck with it's original lineup. The group had structure when they debuted. When the lineup changed the group became messy for a while but they found structure again and now it looks like their structure may go back to being all over the place.
Last edited by ShiroiChanUK on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

I am one of those people that still want the 4nin S/mileage back. For the longest time, I wasn't to keen on the new girl, and I still can't match Rina and Kana's names to their faces, but I grew to like the new girls (Meimi in particular) so who knows...
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I'm talking about people who make a point of it every time S/mileage does something to bitch about how much they wish they were still 4nin and how 2nd gen were the death of the group. This fandom is terrible about letting the past go.
NekoKaiSai
ANGERME

Post by NekoKaiSai »

Since I don't know much about trademark laws, does this mean they'll have to change everything with their name in it, even their blog address (ameblo.jp/smileage-submember/), or just things that make them money?
<p class="bbc_center" style="text-align:left;">B!P workflow spreadsheet         Tutorial for Translators/Preppers
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="NekoKai"]
Since I don't know much about trademark laws, does this mean they'll have to change everything with their name in it, even their blog address (ameblo.jp/smileage-submember/), or just things that make them money?
[/quote]

Well, for one thing, we don't know for sure that it has anything to do with trademarks -- this is all speculation. But regardless of the reason for the name change, they would want to change everything for the sake of continuity with regards to marketing the new name.
Last edited by JPope on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

Do you really think the powers that be behind one of the biggest idol companies in Japan is too stupid to secure the rights to their group names? Come on.  

I think the theory about "renewal" is better. They can't really be S/mileage because its so closely tied to the original 4 girls.  Once Wada and Kanon leave, the new girls are screwed.  They need to reboot the entire group to give them a chance.  

And it isn't like S/mileage is a hot ticket by name alone.  I'm pretty sure their fans are aware of the name change and will follow them under the new one. 

--
(Yukariiinnnnnn.  I misss yoouuuuu)
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="eri"]
Do you really think the powers that be behind one of the biggest idol companies in Japan is too stupid to secure the rights to their group names? Come on.  
[/quote]

Yes, to be completely honest.

al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Well, it shouldn't be too long now. We should have word any time.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

http://natalie.mu/music/news/127790

According to Natalie, the new members are Aikawa Maho, Sasaki Rikako, and Murota Mizuki!!!!
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I honestly wanted Rikako in MM or a new group, but I'm just so happy she gets to debut! This will give me a chance to get back into S/uma! And I'm also really happy for Mizuki because she also deserves to debut and I really like her. I don't know much about Maho, but she looks cute, and H!P always likes to add a fairly new obscure girl.

Edit: S/mileage is having the fans submit group name ideas, similar to Lovendor. It runs until 10/31. New member profiles are also here.
https://secure3.xross.jp/?key=3104daf72a8508fa139f61dfc6b4e6ccf1c311

Last edited by momoirosaya on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
smtmissin
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by smtmissin »

Smileage is going to be so lively from now on with members popular enough to push their popularity. I feel bad for Ju=Ju now. I hope they add new gen members to J=J as well. Some groups can be reasonably successful with only 5 members (C-ute, Momoclo) or 6 members (Faeries) but it's because they have personalities and can handle crazy dance moves. I don't think J=J can do it. Their initial momentum is dying down. I'm so jealous Smileage got that Rikako girl, even though I'm not a fan of her.

Of course I feel bad for 2th gen Smileage but they need some rivalries for motivations , I feel that their improvement is a bit slow.
Last edited by smtmissin on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ice
Kenshuusei

Post by ice »

I can't accept this S/Mileage. the 2nd gen was already quite a shock.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Mizuki is cool. Rikako's okay, it's petty of me but I didn't want her in because her H!O fandom is shit. I guess someone was either super impressed by Maho or they planned to debut her from the start.

They're older than I expected but that's not a bad thing.

I can live with this.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

I plead myself as a Rikako hater, for no reason at all, I just didn't want her anywhere. Maybe in a new group.
But seriously what are they going to do with Ayano if they don't even add her to a group that fits perfect for herrrrrr!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!???
Last edited by Derby on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Hey
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Ayano would fit in with a new group with cuter songs. If agree she'd be perfect in 2011 but not really now.

Oh, I'm not sure anyone remembers but Mizuki initially auditioned for 2nd gen so it took three years but she finally made it in.
Last edited by Anderei on Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

I'm goddamn done. No wonder Nanami quit HP...
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Noa
ANGERME

Post by Noa »

I was really kind of hoping Rikako would go to a new group. I'm not an avid fan of her because I gave up on that when Rie quit, but I figured they'd use her decent sized fanbase to launch a new group. But S/mileage really does need another vocal because Kanon and Meimi are really the only ones with good voices. Rina's okay, and I can't stand goat chan, and the other two are unfortunately pretty useless.
ImageImage
<p style="text-align:center;">我最爱你。你是我的太阳。
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

I feel a sense of despair. But only because now the avid Rikako fans are going to be insufferable.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Molly" data-cid="180378" data-time="1412430016">
I was really kind of hoping Rikako would go to a new group. I'm not an avid fan of her because I gave up on that when Rie quit, but I figured they'd use her decent sized fanbase to launch a new group. But S/mileage really does need another vocal because Kanon and Meimi are really the only ones with good voices. Rina's okay, and I can't stand goat chan, and the other two are unfortunately pretty useless.</blockquote>

Kana and Dawa are passable these days. : (
Noa
ANGERME

Post by Noa »

[quote="Thea"]
I feel a sense of despair. But only because now the avid Rikako fans are going to be insufferable.
[/quote]

I have never actually seen a rabid Rikako fan but I ALWAYS see constant complaining from people about people with these fans. Rikako, Karin, Riho, I'm sure there are other examples.
ImageImage
<p style="text-align:center;">我最爱你。你是我的太阳。
Kalle
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by Kalle »

[quote="Thea"]
[/quote]

They're already trash-talking S/m and saying it's a 'step down' from MM or a new group for her. Like really guys? Can't you just be happy that she's debuting at all? Sheesh. Annoying fanbase aside, though, I'm not her biggest fan but it feels like she'd be a decent fit with the direction the group's been taking recently.

I don't know a lot about the other two but I hope they've got good voices, they're already pretty cute! I hope the name they go with in the end doesn't suck, either.
<p style="text-align:center;">Image
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

I don't follow the kenshuusei, but I'm happy with these additions to S/m. Didn't they form as an egg group (2nd gen aside)? I'm probably wrong, but if so it would be nice if they kept adding only from the eggs to carry a tradition.
I will admit that I was hoping for Rikako in MM simply for the Haruka look alike factor.
<div>
</div>
<div>

</div>

MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

[quote="Molly"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="180379" data-time="1412431613">
<div>
[/quote]

I have never actually seen a rabid Rikako fan but I ALWAYS see constant complaining from people about people with these fans. Rikako, Karin, Riho, I'm sure there are other examples.

</div>
</blockquote>

[quote="Kalle"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="180379" data-time="1412431613">
<div>
[/quote]

They're already trash-talking S/m and saying it's a 'step down' from MM or a new group for her. Like really guys? Can't you just be happy that she's debuting at all? Sheesh. Annoying fanbase aside, though, I'm not her biggest fan but it feels like she'd be a decent fit with the direction the group's been taking recently.

I don't know a lot about the other two but I hope they've got good voices, they're already pretty cute! I hope the name they go with in the end doesn't suck, either.

</div>
</blockquote>

I AM happy for her, all of them, and I am not unhappy with the choice at all. I'm a bit sad that the S/mileage I know is changing, but it isn't a bad thing. Rikako was one of the first eggs I took a liking to.
It's just that I happen to know a particular fan on another forum that gets on my nerves, and I feel this will fuel the fire.   -_-