Favorite 2014 Kpop Release Discussion Thread

aka MM-BBS does Asia. Forum for all your Korean music needs.

Moderator: Arichii

Anderei
つんく♂

Favorite 2014 Kpop Release Discussion Thread

Post by Anderei »

What the title says, because Derby wants it. I'll edit later with my favorites, because there actually was a ton of stuff I enjoyed this year.

Edit: Actually, I'll do it now. Not like I'm busy.

Boy Groups imo BTS and Vixx are probably the next big thing as far as boy groups go, outside of the obvious YG and SM groups who do well no matter what.

2PM - Go Crazy

Beast - Good Luck and 12:30. 12:30 is probably my favorite song of the year in general.

Block B - HER

BTS - Hormone Wars and Danger

Got7 - A Got7 are my favorite rookies of the year. They're not quite my favorite boy group, but they're super close.

Henry - Fantastic

Topp Dogg - Arario Topp Dogg aren't really GOOD, and there's WAY too many of them, but they're a seriously guilty pleasure of mine.

U-Kiss - Don't Flirt

VIXX - Error

Girl Groups

A.kor - But Go

Bob Girls - No Way

Fiestar - One More This MV was what made me realize just how often kpop idols wear American Apparel. I guess it's a popular brand in Korea?

f(x) - Butterfly It doesn't have an MV, but I cannot in good conscious recommend Red Light.

Girls Day - Something It's no Expectation, but I still liked it way more than Darling.

Hyuna - RED and Blacklist

Laboum - What About You? Laboum are my favorite girl group debut this year.

Song Jieun - Don't Look at Me Like That The lives of this were super disappointing though tbh. It was obviously lipsynced, and she'd even set the mic on her lap while the vocals kept going.

Stellar - Marionette Killer song! Not so killer execution!

Last edited by Anderei on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Ap2000
つんく♂

Re: Favorite 2014 Kpop Release Discussion Thread

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Not-Anderei" data-cid="182427" data-time="1418336396">
I'll edit later with my favorites, because there actually was a nothing I enjoyed this year.
</blockquote>

ye

Actually, there were a few things that I nearly forgot, because everything is 10+ months old already.

Dal Shabet - BBB
SNSD - Mr. Mr.

TaeTiSeo's album was disappointing, with only Adrenaline being OK (chorous being far better than the verses), eventhough Holler had a very fappable MV.
All of the other K-Pop songs I listened to this year were from 2013.
I hate aoa, I hate a plastic and thought all the other nugus were boring.

Musically, this was the year of Synthiewave for me.

EDIT:

Marionette is great!

I want to kill bob crap!
Last edited by Ap2000 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

Thanks!

Probably my favorite release, really under-rated but I personally love it, Rainbow BLAXX - ChaCha
And my 2nd favorite release would be Block B - Jackpot

T-ara - Sugar Free, as I said when this was released, T-ara is one of the few groups that I know they will always release something I like
Secret - I'm in love, catchy and sexy, that's enough for me
Orange Caramel - Catallena & My Copycat, I just appreciate this group a lot, not a fan of them though and they also seem to release one good single and then one ~weak~ single
TTS - Adrenaline, Holler was ok too, but Adrenaline is a song that makes me happy, and it's nos about happiness
SNSD - Goodbye
2NE1 - Happy & Crush (japanese version because I like it better, but since there is a kor. ver.~), I thought their 2013 were extremely weak, but I'm glad they did better this year, Falling in Love was absolute crap
Hyuna - Red... for me saying "I like Hyuna's Red" is like saying "hey I love Miley Cyrus and I think she's the most talented artist ever" don't ask me why. Even though I'm kind of embarrased, I think the chorus is too catchy < 33333
KARA - Mamma Mia, even though I forgot this song I still like it. :(

Block B - HER, they're my favorite boyband, I think that's enough
2PM - Go Crazy
BTS - Danger, I think I used to like their early stuff better than their recent releases
Infinite - Last Romeo
B1A4 - Solo Day, I used to be a fan of B1A4 but their recent songs are really boring

And new additions from Anderei's post (this is what I wanted to get from this thread)

[quote="Anderei"]
Beast - Good Luck
BTS - Hormone Wars, this one was surprisingly good
Stellar - Marionette
[/quote]

I have zero interest on EXO, Red Velvet and Winner, specially Winner since the first time I payed attention to their songs I fell asleep, and YG is preparing iKon aka Team B's debut so...
I hope they don't release any soporific ballads.
And I'm aware that Got7 is doing good but I got deflowered with them today, that song was entertaining and funny to watch, but a little far to like it

I'm sure I would have added Nine Muses and Miss A if they released something this year... so I'll just say that Gun and Hush are still big on me

Edit: I wanted to say that 4Minute is a complete disappointment for me, Volume Up was GREAT, and their following releases are bad jokes. At least this year's release was better, but still.
Last edited by Derby on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Hey
AquaChan
ANGERME

Post by AquaChan »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Derby" data-cid="182430" data-time="1418348881">
I'm sure I would have added Nine Muses and Miss A if they released something this year... so I'll just say that Gun and Hush are still big on me

Edit: I wanted to say that 4Minute is a complete disappointment for me, Volume Up was GREAT, and their following releases are bad jokes. At least this year's release was better, but still.
</blockquote>

This x10000.
Haven't followed Kpop a lot this year :/
Team Yellow love 
<p style="text-align:center;">♥ Rikako ♥ Yumeno ♥ Yokoyan ♥ Kamiko ♥ Kamei ♥ 
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

Top played song<ul class="bbc">[*]Taeyang - Eyes, Nose, Lips (+AKMU's cover)[/list]Top albums<ul class="bbc">[*]2NE1 - Crush ("Come Back Home", "Gotta Be You")[*]AKMU - Play ("Give Love", "200%")[/list]Top ballad songs<ul class="bbc">[*]Younha - Umbrella[*]Song Ji Eun - Don't Look At Me Like That[*]IU - My Old Story[/list]Top dance songs<ul class="bbc">[*]2PM - GO CRAZY![*]EXID - Up & Down[*]Hyuna - RED[*]T-ara - Sugar Free (BigRoom Ver.)[/list]Top non-title tracks<ul class="bbc">[*]4minute - Wait a Minute[*]Secret - U R Fired[*]SISTAR - But I Love U[*]TaeTiSeo - Only U[/list]Top new artists<ul class="bbc">[*]MAMAMOO ("Mr. Ambiguous", "Piano Man")[*]Almeng ("Phone in Love", "Half an Hour")[*]LABOUM ("What About You")[/list]Most disappointing<ul class="bbc">[*]Hello Venus ("Sticky Sticky")[*]G.NA ("Secret")[/list]Overall top group<ul class="bbc">[*]APink ("Mr. Chu", "LUV")[/list]Honorable mentions<ul class="bbc">[*]Hi Suhyun - I'm Different (feat. Bobby)[*]Hyosung - Good-night Kiss[*]Lipservice - Too Fancy[*]SPICA - You Don't Love Me[*]HA:TFELT - Ain't Nobody[*]Wassup - Shut Up U[*]Ailee - Singing Got Better[*]Purfles - 1,2,3[/list]
Last edited by Zaeleus on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I don't know how I forgot about Exid but I loved Up and Down. LE is amazing.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Zaeleus"]
EXID - Up & Down
SPICA - You Don't Love Me

[/quote]

I didn't listen to the songs a lot, but I liked these MVs when they came out. One's like a parody on the sexy concept and the other is just trying to fill in as many subliminal messages as possible.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I want to add:
912 Crew - Roller Skate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcFH1Noiocc
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

I haven't listened to a lot of KPop this year, but...
  • All of Hyosung's Top Secret single. I found Goodnight Kiss first and was obsessed with it, but after I listened to the other songs, Goodnight Kiss became my least favorite of the three. (Still a good song though)
  • Hyolyn and JooYoung's Erase
  • Lovelyz Candy Jelly Love and Good night like yesterday (Not entirely sure if that's the English title, but that's what's in the description.)
  • Seconding Laboum's What About You (And I actually pride myself on continuing my goal of learning the dance)
  • All of Song Ji Eun's 25 mini album. More specifically La Boum since its currently stuck in my head.
  • Secret's I'm In Love. (I'm in love with Hyosung)
That's about it. I guess I've listened to more recently than I thought.
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

What are some of your most disliked songs of this year?

[quote="Anderei"]
f(x) - Butterfly It doesn't have an MV, but I cannot in good conscious recommend Red Light.
[/quote]

I don't even consider Red light to be music.
It's IGAB done even worse.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="183548" data-time="1422498271">What are some of your most disliked songs of this year?</blockquote>
I'll nominate Psy's "Hangover". There's also Wassup's "Fire", which falls into the category of hilariously bad.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

I usually forget the songs I dislike, because 1 time is enough
I think those would be 4Minute - Watcha doing today? and A pink - Mr. Chu, this one was really boring
and probably Hello Venus comeback, it may be catchy for some people but I think the worst thing of that song is the drastic change of the group's style and concept

Fire is also horrible but it turns out to be really funny of how bad it is
Image Hey
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Whaaat, Red Light is my favorite f(x) song ever. I'm surprised you guys hate it.

VIXX's "Error," Hello Venus's "Wiggle Wiggle," and Hyuna's "Red" and "Blacklist" have been dominating my Kpop rotations recently. I honestly haven't heard much of anything else mentioned so far.

SNSD's "Mr. Mr." Was really good but I wouldn't consider it the best, and same goes for 2NE1's release this year.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

T-ara - Sugar Free (BigRoom Ver.) is the only K-pop song I remember from 2014, but I like it so much that it could make up for a whole year devoid of other music. :lol:

I'll sit down one day and listen to the links you people posted to see if I like anything else. I bet I heard some other songs from Zae's or Anderei's lists, but they just didn't stand out enough for me.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~