Underground rappers

aka MM-BBS does Asia. Forum for all your Korean music needs.

Moderator: Arichii

Zaeleus
ANGERME

Re: Underground rappers

Post by Zaeleus »

Unpretty Rapstar 2 E10 (DramaFever)

Spoilers ahead.

The final episode! This continues with round 3 of the semifinals. Results and votes:

Round 3<ul class="bbc">[*]Sua - "Who Am I (feat. Lee Su Hyun (Akdong Musician))" (179)[*]Yubin - "No Regrets (feat. Jo Hyun Ah (Urban Zakapa))" (87)[/list]Round 4<ul class="bbc">[*]Yezi - "Go Rough (feat. Hanhae)" (78)[*]Truedy - "Ruedy Boogie (feat. Tiffany (Girls' Generation))" (191)[/list]Final ("Pride (feat. Gummy)") (during/total votes)<ul class="bbc bbcol decimal">[*]Truedy (149/264)[*]KittiB (114/165)[*]Hyorin (104/137)[*]Sua (101/127)[/list]Season winner: Truedy

---

I'm just at a loss for words with what happened in this last episode. Sua, who's been struggling the entire season, made a comeback and completely destroyed Yubin. Albeit, Yubin did blank out and had to restart, the difference in scores is incredible. Then you have Yezi, whose track wasn't her best but something new and different, gets similarly defeated by Truedy, who used the same "old school" theme she's been using the entire season. Did they label the voting buttons backwards? A majority of the cast chose KittiB as the better of the final two, yet there's another huge gap in votes. How?!

But it is the end. We did get to see Yezi one up the competition and the birth of Crazy Dog, Hyorin rap for the first time, Exy being discovered to have great potential, KittiB redeeming herself from her lackluster initial impression, Jiyoon discovering she can't rap but making an effort to improve, Kasper... giving good reactions to everything?, Ahn Soo Min getting a thumbs up from Cheetah, Sua being thrown into the real world from her walled garden trainee days, Yubin going solo for the first time, Heize continuously losing to KittiB but still putting up a fight, Gilme calling out Truedy for her shenanigans, Truedy with her nonsensical lyrics and lacking ability to diss, and Kim and Ash-B trying.

---

I compiled all the tracks into one playlist for your listening pleasure.

Unpretty Rapstar 2 Compilation (:yt: audio playlist)<ul class="bbc bbcol decimal">[*]Unpretty Rapstar 2 - Don't Stop (Prod. by D.O) (video) (audio)[*]Heize - Me, Myself & I (Prod. by Verbal Jint / Feat. Jessi) (video) (audio)[*]Truedy - If It Weren't Music (Prod. by Verbal Jint / Feat. Verbal Jint, Cheetah) (video) (audio)[*]Yezi - Solo (Remix) (Prod. by Jay Park, Cha Cha Malone / Feat. Jay Park, Loco) (audio)[*]Hyorin - It's Not the Time for Love (Money) (Prod. by Jay Park, Cha Cha Malone / Feat. Jay Park, Geegooin) (video) (audio)[*]Truedy - Bandz Up (Prod. by Dok2 / Feat. Dok2) (audio)[*]Yubin - Entirely (Prod. by The Quiett / Feat. The Quiett) (audio)[*]KittiB - On the Edge (Prod. by YDG / Feat. Microdot, YDG) (audio)[*]Jiyoon - This Ain't Me (Feat. BTOB Jung Il Hoon) (video) (audio)[*]KittiB - RRF (Ronda Rousey Flow) (video) (audio)[*]Heize - Don't Make Money (Feat. EXO Chanyeol) (video) (audio)[*]Hyorin - My Love (Feat. Basick) (video) (audio)[*]Sua - Who Am I (Feat. Lee Su Hyun (Akdong Musician)) (video) (audio)[*]Yubin - No Regrets (Feat. Jo Hyun Ah (Urban Zakapa)) (video) (audio)[*]Yezi - Go Rough (Feat. Hanhae) (video) (audio)[*]Truedy - Ruedy Boogie (Feat. Tiffany (Girls' Generation)) (video) (audio)[*]Truedy - Pride (Prod. by Brave Brothers / Feat. Gummy) (video) (audio)[/list]
Last edited by Zaeleus on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

Thank you for all the summaries Zaelus.
I haven't watch any episodes since I accidentally spoiled myself with Yezi's elimination.
I've keep up with the show thanks to your posts and NB, I'm glad this whole mess has finished...
Image Hey
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

Some post-Unpretty Rapstar 2 olds/news:

Heize, Truedy, and Kasper did a PSA for World AIDS Day (December 1).

Yezi released the single Cider at the end of January. The title track is new, "The Lunar World" is the full version of what she rapped in the SMTM vs UR2 battle (episode 6), "Sse Sse Sse (feat. Gilme, KittiB, Ahn Soo Min)" is the most amazing collab to come out of that show, and "Crazy Dog (feat. San E)" is a remake of her survival track in episode 3. It's a good rap album.

Yezi also did a really cool Counter-Strike Online promotion.

If you enjoy Kasper's awkwardness, she started a new series on WISHTrend TV named How to Rap in Korean. The first episode goes over rhyme.

Exy will be debuting in WJSN (Cosmic Girls) on February 25.
Last edited by Zaeleus on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

KittiB - Doin' Good (Feat. Verbal Jint). She's still doin' doin' doin' doin' good after Unpretty Rapstar 2.
Last edited by Zaeleus on Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I just finished watching Unpretty season 2, and holy fuck KittiB got robbed. I have since read that a lot of people think the entire series was rigged, as Truedy, Heize, Kasper, and Ash-B all signed contracts with Mnet (CJ E&M) prior to filming. It wouldn't shock me if this was the case.

Truedy's delivery and flow are definitely polished, but she never showed any growth or diversity during the entire run of the show. Once KittiB stopped tripping over her own brain and steadied herself, she got better with every performance, and had clearly surpassed everyone by the 8th episode. Trudey's final solo performance was just a rehash of everything we had heard from her several times over by then (I'm Old School, yo, I'm tae kwon do, yadda yadda...), and with a kind of robotic performance, to boot. Yezi could have beaten Truedy had she not gone with that ridiculous sexed-up thing she went with. She probably should have won regardless, but I wanted to see more of the crazy bitch (though less of the "Crazy Dog").

KittiB crushed everyone with her final solo performance, from not dragging some big name on stage as a safety net, to her killer rap and performance. I rank it up there with Cheetah's finale from season 1. Out of everyone from season 2, KittiB probably has the brightest future in rap.

Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

There were a lot of times in that season when results didn't make sense. I finally figured out that the producers kept saving Kasper because her sole purpose was to get Exy eliminated at the end. :( (I also have another conspiracy theory that Exy got put into Cosmic Girls as a punishment for losing on the show.)

You can definitely see Mnet's influence in the semifinals, particularly with the featured artists. It makes sense that Sua would have someone like Su Hyun from AKMU, Ji Yoon to have someone from BTOB, etc. since they're from the same labels. But then you have Heize and Truedy featuring megastars from EXO and SNSD out of nowhere. I find it highly suspect they'd have connections like that by themselves.

The biggest upset for me was the Yezi vs Truedy diss battle for track 6. This sort of aggressive sound fits Yezi so well, and Truedy's lyrics were so weak. Then Truedy gets angry at Yezi for dissing her... in a diss battle. (T: Yezi, you're very disrespectful to your seniors. Y: You say I'm disrespectful, but you think you're respectful? We just finished a diss battle. You should have mentioned it then. I'm upset you're saying that now. T: This is being so disrespectful. Y: I don't think so.)

Fun fact: If you didn't catch it, Produce 101 kept cutting to Heize and Yuk Ji Dam in the crowd during the concept evaluations.

And speaking of old school, Cheetah and KittiB currently have producer roles on JTBC's Hip Hop Nation, and from what I understand, it's a show about grannies rapping.
Last edited by Zaeleus on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

I don't know if the whole show was rigged/scripted. But I'm sure Truedy was selected as the winner since day 1.
All the other members had something in their past to back them up but Truedy literally came out of nowhere. I tried and tried but I couldn't get any information about her.
How can a nobody get in UR2? She just painted her face brown and forced herself to sound like Tasha.

Don't even have to mention how unfair was her victory against Gilme, and against Yezi, two times.
I mean Yezi got eliminated against fucking Sua right? How was that even possible?
Image Hey
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

<div>Ha ha! Yeah, listening to Miss "I picked Ahn Soo Min as an opponent because I want to take this round off" complain about disrespect from anyone is silly. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>I also wondered how Truedy got Tiffany for her semi-final performance. I honestly wish they wouldn't allow featured artists like that. I think Basick did more rapping during Hyorin's performance than she did. I thought Heize should have won their battle based on that alone.</div>
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

Vibe x Heize x Chen (EXO) - Lil' Something. This is part of SM's music initiative to release a new song every week for a year.
Last edited by Zaeleus on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

The full cast for Unpretty Rapstar 3 has been announced this morning on a press conference with the contestants (though it's said that 2 unknown girls will join the show later)

I wish it was. I'm just being very silly. If they're gonna fuck the show anyway at least make it funny
Last edited by Derby on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Hey
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Derby" data-cid="198205" data-time="1466081946">full cast</blockquote>
That bizarre lineup could probably get me to watch an episode of it.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<p class="bbc_center">Image
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

So apparently Miryo has been confirmed for Unpretty 3 :/

Now I'm FORCED to watch this season, I hope it doesn't end up like season 2

At least I got Miryo right in my predictions, just wait for Iggy to say on Twitter something along the lines "bye america, hello# china#"
Image Hey
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

She's Coming teaser.  :weeeh:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Derby" data-cid="198539" data-time="1467439336">
So apparently Miryo has been confirmed for Unpretty 3 :/
</blockquote>

Her agency clarified she's only considering it, but it'll be interesting to see her as a contestant on a rap survival show after she was a judge on SMTM. As long as she doesn't pull a Gilme and forget her lyrics (performance @ 26:09), I'd expect she'll be a top contestant.
Last edited by Zaeleus on Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

The lineup for Unpretty Rapstar 3 was leaked.<ul class="bbc">[*]Miryo (Brown Eyed Girls) (ex. 1, ex. 2)[*]Ha Joo Yeon (aka Baby J; former Jewelry; SMTM5 contestant) (ex. 1, ex. 2)[*]Yuk Ji Dam (SMTM3/UPRS1 contestant) (ex. 1, ex. 2)[*]Jeon So Yeon (CUBE trainee; Produce 101 contestant) (ex. 1, ex. 2, ex. 3)[*]Yuna Kim (former THE ARK) (ex. 1, ex. 2)[*]Nada (WASSUP; SMTM3 contestant) (ex., mixtape)[*]Grace (ex. 1, ex. 2)[*]Giant Pink (SMTM5 contestant) (ex.)[*]JNey (guest D-UNIT member; former GP Basic; SMTM5 contestant) (ex. 1, ex. 2, ex. 3)[*]Kassy (ex.)[/list]YDG will be hosting this season.

I'm not sure why Yuk Ji Dam is returning, but it's awesome to see Jeon So Yeon making an appearance.
Last edited by Zaeleus on Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

So you are telling me that, not only Miryo is here, but also yuk jidam and nada, AND San E is not the MC???  :eyepatch:  :eyepatch:  :eyepatch:

Some people were expecting Cathy but I guess Soyeon makes a lot more sense
Image Hey
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Jeon So Yeon. Fuck yes. I was pulling for her to win a spot in I.O.I, so this makes me happy.

I'm not surprised that they're recycling a former contestant, as the pool of female rappers is probably fairly small. I wouldn't be surprised to see more of this if the show continues beyond the 3rd season.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

The cast of the UPRS3 did a performance on Show Me The Money 5 (mirror) of "She's coming (Prod. by Primary)", which is likely the team mission track they'll be doing in the first episode. (You can see C.I.V.A in the audience at 1:58 and 2:39. LTE had to hold back Lee Soo Min, or she would have dominated the competition. :lol:) The premiere is slated for July 29.
Last edited by Zaeleus on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

Tymee - Cinderella. The video is a little awkward, but we do get to hear her signature rapid fire at 2:04.
Last edited by Zaeleus on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

Heize and C Jamm (SMTM5 runner up) were on episode 170 (2016-08-26) of I Live Alone, a reality show that follows Korean entertainers who are single.

Some Heize trivia from the episode:
  • Heize has an obsession with the Frozen character Olaf. "I've always given the same answer when anyone asked me what I think love is. Whenever someone asks, I always say--this may sound a bit extreme--love is when you can die for the other person. In Frozen, Olaf said that he could melt for someone. I thought his values about love are similar to mine. I fell in love with Olaf as soon as I heard him say that."
  • She uses paper shopping/gift bags rather than a normal purse or designer bag.
  • Her closest family is her older brother.
  • Heize's father disapproved of her becoming a rapper but made a deal that she could do it as long as she kept up with her studies (business administration).
  • She had a hard time when she first moved to Seoul, hiding from her family because of her living conditions. She would send fake photos of meals to her mom to create the illusion everything was going well.
  • Her first job was at a bakery, where the owner took good care of her, giving her extra money and food when she first moved to Seoul. She still keeps in contact today.
  • Heize specializes in writing songs about breakups. She is undecided whether to pursue rapping or singing.
Last edited by Zaeleus on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.