The Great Hello!Project Name Rank

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

The Great Hello!Project Name Rank

Post by Shoujo Q »

With the dawn of a new group in in the Project I thought I'd see how people compared their name with other past groups. Below is a list of every Hello!Project group past and present, one shot and shuffle. You're missions, choose as many or as few as you like and rank them from best to worst, worst to best. Top 10, All or One. Bonus points if you discuss your choices. I leave it in your capable hands. 

Current Groups 
  • Morning Musume
  • Morning Musume '#
  • Berryz Koubou
  • ℃-ute
  • ANGERME
  • Juice=Juice
  • Country Girls
  • Kobushi Factory
  • Hello Pro Kenshuusei
<div> </div>
<div><b>Misc. Obsolete Group Names</b></div>
  • Mobekimasu
  • Country Musume
  • S/mileage
  • Hello Pro Egg
<div> </div>
<div>Satoyama/Satoumi Groups</div>
  • Peaberry
  • HI-FIN
  • DIY=
  • Jurin
  • GREEN FIELDS
  • Sato no Akari
  • Harvest
  • Triplet
  • Dia Lady
  • Mellowquad
  • ODATOMO
<div> </div>
<div>Former Groups</div>
  • Shugo Chara Egg!
  • Guardians 4
  • Morning Musume Sakura Gumi
  • Morning Musume Otome Gumi
  • Buono!
  • Melon Kinenbi
  • Ongaku Gatas
  • Tanpopo
  • T&C Bomber
  • Taiyou to Ciscomoon
  • Petitmoni
  • Minimoni
  • Sheki-Dol
  • W
  • GAM
  • Coconuts Musume
  • v-u-den
  • Ongaku Gatas
  • Ice Creamusume
  • SI☆NA
<div> </div>
<div>1-Shot Units</div>
  • 4KIDS
  • Gomattou
  • POCKY GIRLS
  • Venus Mousse
  • ZYX
  • ROMANS
  • Aa!
  • Nochiura Natsumi
  • Ecomoni
  • DEF.DIVA
  • Morning Musume Tanjou 10nen Kinentai
  • Kira☆Pika
  • Athena & Robikerottsu
  • Tomoiki Ki wo Uetai
  • MilkyWay
  • High-King
  • Ex-ceed!
  • Muten Musume
  • Reborn Eleven
  • Lilpri
  • Cat's♥Eye 7
  • Mori Musume
  • Zenryoku Yasai Musume
  • Ujicha♥Taishi Maccha's
  • Gatas Brilhantes H.P.
  • Metro Rabbits H.P.
<div> </div>
<div>Shuffle Units</div>
  • Akagumi 4
  • Kiiro 5
  • Aoiro 7
  • 3nin Matsuri
  • 7nin Matsuri
  • 10nin Matsuri
  • Happy♡7
  • Sexy 8
  • Odoru♡11
  • SALT5
  • 7AIR
  • 11WATER
  • H.P. All Stars
  • Elegies
  • Sexy Otonajan
  • Puripuri Pink
  • Chanpuru
  • Zoku v-u-den
  • ZYX-α
  • Shin Minimoni
  • Petitmoni V
  • Tanpopo#
<div> </div>
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Re: The Great Hello!Project Name Rank

Post by MejraThea »

Buono!
W
Triplet

I rate these three 5/5, everything else gets 0/5.
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

This would be easier if ranking the worst names haha.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I am going to go above and beyond and do ALL of them. I'll try to provide explanations but some it's just '....yeah, I like it'.

No particular order. Just categories.

The Very Best That No One Ever Was
ANGERME - Because it made a whole lot of people mad, and the jokes write themselves. Everyone go home, because no name will ever top this.

Good
Buono! - Short, memorable, and it means good, which they always were.
Cat's♥Eye 7 - This name is kind of sexy in an idol sort of way, and I thought their MV and song fit the name.
DEF.DIVA - Maybe not Nacchi, but the other three are definitely the definitive divas of H!P, so this name is cool and makes sense to me.
Ecomoni - Same as Mini Moni and Petit Moni, although it was a bit played out by the time this unit came along.
GREEN FIELDS - Almost sounds like it could be some soft rock Japanese band name. Boring like Harvest, but it got the job done.
Harvest - Boring, but it fit the Satoyama theme, and that's more than a lot of H!P names can say.
Hello Pro Kenshuusei - I guess it's not inspiring, because it's exactly what the program is, but there's literally nothing even remotely bad about it other than the fact that a lot of people forget they're this and not the Eggs anymore. No reason to put it on anything other than the Good list.
High-King - H!P Wiki informs me that Tsunku said this group should have been called High Queen but it didn't have enough punch and also "the members were chosen for their ability to dance and belt out dancable R&B numbers". This is laughable as Yuuka never belted a note in her life. This unit is really overrated in my opinion, but their name is cool.
Kira☆Pika - Sounds like an anime unit, and is an anime unit.
MilkyWay - Same as Kira☆Pika.
Mini Moni - A group made up of mostly MM members who were quite mini. Makes sense to me.
Morning Musume - When you look at names from newer debuted groups, you can tell MM is an old name, but it gives off that old classic 90s idol vibe and I like it. It's an oldie but a goodie.
Morning Musume Tanjou 10nen Kinentai - WhatItSaysOnTheTin/10.
Petitmoni - None of these girls were petite, but unlike Country and Coconuts, at least they were directly related to MM.
S/mileage - It was one of the few explanations for a name that Tsunku ever gave that was cute and made sense. Kana said that they received 10k new name submissions and a lot of them were S/mileage. It was a good one and I'll miss it.
Sheki-dol - I don't know what the Sheki stands for, but I've always liked this name a lot for no reason. Also, Tetteiteki Unmei is awesome.
Shugo Chara Egg! - Like Kenshuusei where it was exactly what it said it was. Shugo Chara was cute, Eggs was a cute name, and the members/outfits/songs were cute as well. Cute/10.
Tanpopo - It's a nice name. That's it.
W - Hardest name ever to google, but the pun was fun.

Sort of Good
Berryz Kobo - Cute when they were 10-12, but it's a name that didn't grow up with them.
℃-ute - Same as Berryz, but to an even greater extent now that they like to pole dance and shake their butts. Also, including the degree is hard.
DIY♡ - It's very cute but since the name actually stands for Dance In Your Heart, which isn't at all obvious, I can't put it on a best. Forever a DIY project, which is an accurate description of the quality of H!P MVs (although DIY's MV was actually kinda ok iirc)
Guardians 4 - When I think Guardians 4, I think of the kind of music that Stardust's Tenkasu Trio sings.
Melon Kinenbi - I cannot for the life of me remember what Kinenbi means, and neither can the internet, but I'm guessing it's a bit too nonsensical for me to put them on the Good list.
Otome Gumi / Sakura Gumi - ....yeah, they're alright.
v-u-den - Has a cool meaning, but the romanisation just looks like nonsense.

Not Good
4KIDS - There were 4 of them and they were kids who came from H!P Kids!!!!! I'm just not feeling it.
Aa! - Is this supposed to be the noise you make after your first kiss? It's just a bit odd.
Coconuts Musume - Same as Country Musume, except no one pitied them enough to give them a MM member to help them out.
Country Musume - Lame ploy used to cash off of MM's success that never worked without adding actual MM members.
Ex-ceed! - I won't post the rationale behind the name here, but you can find it on the H!P wiki to see how silly it is.
GAM - I know a lot of people will probably disagree, but I always thought this name was dumb.
Kobushi Factory - Probably not what most people will consider oh my god terrible, but like I said in their thread, I think the group deserves to have their own identity that isn't connected to an old group. H!P always looks to the past and never to the future blah blah ect.
Lilpri - I think it's short for Little Princess. Rolls off the tongue odd and brings up memories of their hilariously bad wigs.
Mobekimasu - Ugly to say and doesn't work for a program that doesn't have the same constant lineup. Also their only song sucked.
Morimusu - See the Zenrokyu ect. Musume name below.
Muten Musume - By the time this group came about, putting Musume at the end of something didn't make people care about it. Should have tried harder. Also, unit names when it includes the entire original group are pointless.
Nochiura Natsumi - You can't tell at first but it is a member name inspired group name, so duh, I don't like it.
ODATOMO - Makes me think of tomatoes.
Ongaku Gatas / Gatas Brilhantes H.P. - Gatas means to crawl, which you probably shouldn't do onstage, because a lot of feet have been on it.
Reborn Eleven - Yawn.
ROMANS - The Roams wore nighties and rapped. Not great, but I don't think it's bad either. I threw it down here because you're supposed to pronounce it Romance, so why didn't they just CALL THE UNIT ROMANCE FROM THE START?
Sato no Akari - I don't like group names that play off member names, and their lineup sucked to boot.
SI☆NA - Like Sato no Akari, I don't like names that play off member names. Also, these poor flops that never stood a chance. : ( It's amazing how long UFP wasted their time.
Taiyou to Ciscomoon / T&C Bomber - Like MM, they give me a definite 90s vibe, but what does Ciscomoon even mean? I know a dog named Cisco.
Triplet - Would have been cute if they were members that were known for looking alike, but they don't.
Zenryoku Yasai Musume +  - I didn't know they came up with a name for the Kagome campaign. Either way, the Musume name trend is like beating a dead horse in 2014 and why not just do this campaign as Morning Musume '14?
ZYX - Proof that Tsunku or whoever came up with this name will be golden if he/they gets pulled over in the US as long as he passes the breathalyzer test. Not pronounced individually, though, so it sounds dumb.

Why?
Athena & Robikerottsu - If there's actually a character named Athena in this anime, I guess you could move this into Not Good. Still looks dumb, though.
Country Girls - Makes me think of a bunch of bumpkins and rednecks, many of whom I'm either related to or went to school with. And like the Factory Group, I hate that so much in H!P has to be a revival and an attempt to cash off of nostalgia.
Gomattou - I know that this is like the one unit in H!P that almost no one likes it when they get slammed, but I really hate this name. I also hate their song, sorry.
Ice Creamusume - This is stupid.
Juice=Juice - If Juice were a number, that statement would be true, but it's still dumb. Also doesn't fit the vibe I get from the group at all.
Jurin - What did this name even mean?
Metro Rabbits H.P. - What does this have to do with kickball?
Morning Musume '# - Although not awful by looks, it serves no useful purpose other than cluttering up any site that sells MM merchandise. Forever dumb.
Peaberry - I like to eat peas, but they are not berries. And now that I love Dawa, I'm bitter she got paired with a voice I can't stand on top of having a boring song.
POCKY GIRLS - It may have been for a Pocky CM, but it's still dumb to me. They also had the inferior song on the 5th album to make matters worse. The Mousse song >>> This song.
Tomoiki Ki wo Uetai - I don't think they ever planted a single tree.
Ujicha♥Taishi Maccha's - A name about green tea, for a unit that only talked and sang about green tea. I think this speaks for itself.
Venus Mousse - Their song was better, but their name is just as stupid as Pocky Girls.

Honorable Mention Towards Two Groups That Made Me Go "Who the fuck is this?"
Ujicha♥Taishi Maccha's
Zenryoku Yasai Musume

But maybe Thea had it right, because in H!P if you aren't really good, you're probably awful. So 0/10 to anyone who isn't called Angerme, the best group name that ever was.

It was really sad how I immediately recognized most of these names, as well as what their songs were and who was in the group. I need a life.
Last edited by Anderei on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Banana
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Banana »

[quote="Anderei"]
DEF.DIVA - Maybe not Nacchi, but the other three are definitely the definitive divas of H!P, so this name is cool and makes sense to me.
[/quote]

I don't think Rika qualifies as a diva. :P
Last edited by Banana on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

@Anderei: Kinenbi means holiday (or anniversary, special day, etc)

Jurin is a another name combination. Masaki's 'ki' can be read as 'ju' and then the 'rin' from Karin. Jurin means Forest.

Also a peaberry is a type of coffee bean
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Melon Holiday? Yeah, not good enough for top tier name status.

Peaberry stays where they are because I don't drink coffee and that's a good enough reason.

[quote="Banana"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="185287" data-time="1424914124">
<div>
[/quote]

I don't think Rika qualifies as a diva. :P

</div>
</blockquote>

Not vocally, but the whole v-u-den/DEF.DIVA concept and stuff was sort of diva-esque. Sometimes.

Maybe.

Right?

Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

Favorites
W
HI-FIN
S/mileage
Minimoni

Worst
<div>Ice Creamusume</div>
<div>Zenryoku Yasai Musume</div>
<div>Ujicha♥Taishi Maccha's</div>
<div>Athena & Robikerottsu</div>
<div>Tomoiki Ki wo Uetai</div>
<div>Shugo Chara Egg!</div>
<div> </div>
<div>and anderei I think you forgot HI-FIN I was looking for an explanation for that name and couldn't find it</div>
<div>PS: Doesn't 'gatas' mean cats in spanish and portuguese? lol</div>
Last edited by Derby on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Hey
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

You're thinking of gato.

I guess I did miss all of the Satoumi groups. Guess they're that forgettable!!!
Last edited by Anderei on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

[quote="Derby"]
and anderei I think you forgot HI-FIN I was looking for an explanation for that name and couldn't find it
<div>PS: Doesn't 'gatas' mean cats in spanish and portuguese? lol</div>
[/quote]

Hagiwara Ishida - Fukuda Ikuta Nakajima, also hyphen hence the '-' (and fins are on fish)

They were originally supposed to be named Plumeria

Idk about Portugese but tin Spanish its Gato

rikako♡eripon♡airi
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

In ESP/PT Gato is one single male cat and Gatas is more than one female cat, in plural
and as I've heard long time ago Gatas is also a way to say girls in Brazil, usually if they're good looking
Image Hey
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

<div>ANGERME - For the reason Anderei laid out. The only way it could've been better is if it was ANGARME!</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Buono! - Again, what Anderei said, plus it looks good as a logo</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Morning Musume - A name that has aged well, with nice alliteration.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Minimoni - Perfect name for the group.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Tanpopo - This is the oldest sounding name of the bunch, but it also fit their image perfectly.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>GAM - Don't know if the pun was intentional, but I always liked to believe it was.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>W - Great concept.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>POCKY GIRLS - It's so blatantly commercial that I love it. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>DEF.DIVA - I like alliterative names, and this is a cool sounding name.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Triplet - I also like short names. The fact that I liked there song so much probably influenced me to add it here.</div>
<div> </div>
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

[quote="JPope"]

<div>Triplet - I also like short names. The fact that I liked there song so much probably influenced me to add it here.</div>

[/quote]

Yep.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="JPope"]GAM - Don't know if the pun was intentional, but I always liked to believe it was.[/quote]

<p style="margin-left:.5in;">2006-06-15
<p style="margin-left:.5in;">And so, this time, we're trying something new, we have formed a new unit which consist of the two, Matsuura Aya and Fujimoto Miki.
<p style="margin-left:.5in;">If you ask, "till when will this unit last?" I have yet to think about it.
<p style="margin-left:.5in;">The unit name is "GAM" (Gyamu). To start with, they will be singing the theme song for the fall premiered movie "Sukeban Deka Code Name = Asamiya Saki".
<p style="margin-left:.5in;">"Great Aya & Miki" if we take the initials, then we have "GAM". I wonder if it means anything in English? As I research it, turns out it's a slang for "attractive legs".
<p style="margin-left:.5in;">"Ah! Then the theme for these two is to deliver song which radiates from their legs and echoes within your heart!" lets do that! A unit which sings a cool song with a dress ::that attracts people with their "beautiful wonderful legs" is what we're aiming for!
<p style="margin-left:.5in;">The debut song "Thanks!" is about expressing feelings of gratitude towards those precious glorified youth times.
<p style="margin-left:.5in;">Even after this, the Sexy Cool Unit, GAM, will become something solid.
<p style="margin-left:.5in;">Please give them lots of support!
<div> </div>
Last edited by Anderei on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Awesome.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

When I heard pun my immediate thought was it stood for 'Gay Aya Miki'.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

You made me laugh so hard Anderei, thanks x).
I'll try to do mine later.
Campy <3 !
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Most H!P group names are cringeworthy, which discourages any discussion of them with civilians. (That's probably a good thing.)

The only names I like are Morning Musume, Minimoni, and Tanpopo.