Post-MM careers and soloists

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

eri
ANGERME

Post-MM careers and soloists

Post by eri »

Do you think girls graduated earier back in the day because they COULD have a post mm career then? I am always shocked to be reminded of just how short the tenures of some of the older and most famous girls were. Iida felt like she was in the group for freaking ever but 7 years seems like standard now.
JPope
ANGERME

Re: Post-MM careers and soloists

Post by JPope »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="eri" data-cid="187820" data-time="1430974717">
<div>
Do you think girls graduated earier back in the day because they COULD have a post mm career then? I am always shocked to be reminded of just how short the tenures of some of the older and most famous girls were. Iida felt like she was in the group for freaking ever but 7 years seems like standard now.
</div>
</blockquote>

That's part of it. MM was still the top group, so having membership in it was worth more then.

Also, they had these things called "solo idols" back then, where a popular idol would make recordings and tour singing by herself! And people paid money to buy their recordings and see them perform. Crazy stuff, I know...
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

That Suppin to Namida was nice - one of my favorite Maki songs of all time so I'm pretty critical LOL but they did decent.  I wish Zukki would get more lines but that day is probably never coming.

I endlessly mourn the loss of solo idols.  Half of my favorite music from H!P came from solo acts.  Goto Maki was my entire motivation to pursue dancing and singing as a kid, I'd probably be in a completely different career now without her. 

I think a big part of so many girls staying in H!P forever now is because they really don't pick any girls that stand out much on their own anymore.  I can't think of anyone in current Morning Musume who has a significant chance at a lucrative (or at least passable) post-MM career.  In H!P's desire to cultivate an "honor student" image they've chosen a lot of girls that really only function as part of an idol group. Moderately talented, moderately interesting. 
I mean, not letting Masaki go on variety because she's too interesting / crazy? That is the exact opposite of what they would have done ten years ago - she'd be their variety star! I guess Yaguchi Mari and Yoshizawa Hitomi would be nobodies if time were reversed and they were joining MM now.  Most of the girls in modern day H!P are better off spending five or six years in an idol group than trying to make it on their own, whether as a variety talent or singer of some sort.
Last edited by Farrah on Wed May 06, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

It's not because she's too interesting but because they know she wouldn't be good at it. 'Lolz so random' and an inability to understand normal social interactions doesn't make for good variety. A lot of it is scripted and practiced. It's not like they send Kanon or Eripon the few times there's solo work and have told Masaki not to talk a lot on tv because they're more 'boring'. Girls like Yossie and Mari still have potential, they're just not joining H!P.
Last edited by Anderei on Thu May 07, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

[quote="Anderei"]
It's not because she's too interesting but because they know she wouldn't be good at it. 'Lolz so random' and an inability to understand normal social interactions doesn't make for good variety. A lot of it is scripted and practiced. It's not like they send Kanon or Eripon the few times there's solo work and have told Masaki not to talk a lot on tv because they're more 'boring'. Girls like Yossie and Mari still have potential, they're just not joining H!P.
[/quote]

We all know variety is largely scripted, but someone with any sense of comedic timing would be a huge improvement over the current crop who generally offer very little other than the usual scripted idol niceties.  On the rare occasion the current line-up have been on any variety, they pretty much exclusively say the usual introductions and very little else, with no real flavor.  It's incredibly boring.  I hated Koharu but at least she was entertaining (albeit simultaneously annoying).

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Being a soloist doesn't sell in Japan. Sure they can get variety work, but when it comes to selling music, it bombs. If they do plan on ever doing a soloist again she needs to come fully packaged and ready to go. Which is hard because the only girls interested in doing the idol stuff don't see it anything more than a part time job. I think this is why H!P puts so much stock in their trainees now. If you can survive a few years there then they will put the effort in for you to shine in whatever it is you want to do. Of course that's not always the case but it's hard to see the bigger picture especially in the case of Morning Musume.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Soloists (and other non-idol groups) actually are dominating digitally, which is gaining importance in Japan. You'll notice most idols totally bomb on the digital charts because they rely on wota bulk buying to get on Oricon for the publicity. They sell, just not physical copies.
Last edited by Anderei on Thu May 07, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

[quote="Farrah"]

I think a big part of so many girls staying in H!P forever now is because they really don't pick any girls that stand out much on their own anymore.  I can't think of anyone in current Morning Musume who has a significant chance at a lucrative (or at least passable) post-MM career.  In H!P's desire to cultivate an "honor student" image they've chosen a lot of girls that really only function as part of an idol group. Moderately talented, moderately interesting. 
I mean, not letting Masaki go on variety because she's too interesting / crazy? That is the exact opposite of what they would have done ten years ago - she'd be their variety star! I guess Yaguchi Mari and Yoshizawa Hitomi would be nobodies if time were reversed and they were joining MM now.  Most of the girls in modern day H!P are better off spending five or six years in an idol group than trying to make it on their own, whether as a variety talent or singer of some sort.
[/quote]

Hmm, but even at the height of their popularity, the girls also cultivated "roles" and "types" within the group in order to stand out. Yoshizawa was the boyish one but only in relation to her function in the group. Yaguchi was the disproportionately loud one, Nakazawa was the old one etc but again only in terms of their identity in the group. The big difference seems to be that some of them cultivated, er, "transferable skills" or identities to a larger celebrity presence. Fujimoto can still be bitchy and Yaguchi can still be kind of loud /crazy and Goto can still be cool as ice. But Yoshizawa can't really bring "the boyish one!" to a long standing career. It is stupid that Riho and Ayumi are identified as the good dancers because wtf does anyone care about that post-idol life?

Did they really say Masaki wasn't allowed on variety shows?

I don't follow the media stuff around mm anymore because I don't have the time, but are they really so boring on tv etc? 

That being said, I think Takahashi Ai has surprisingly made a good post-mm life for herself in fashion and her various generic "tarento" gigs. She was super boring in the group and had no strong character so I thought she'd just do musicals forever and ever. But here she is, putting out fashion books and stuff! So even if no one really stays famous as a solo singer, some of them will keep going on in the celebrity world in other ways. 

I hope Kannon at least pulls a Jessica Simpson and makes a career out of being the chubby one. 
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

They've told Masaki to refrain from speaking on shows. Solo appearances are a dime a dozen so I doubt it's that she's specifically not allowed to go.

Even if they were all super hilarious and interesting it's unlikely they'd go on to have super awesome careers. Even popular AKB girls are losing a lot of popularity post-graduation, same as MM's old popular girls. There's just not a demand for idols who want to be taken seriously as soloists.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Nice discussion. :thumbsup: Split it off the spammy spam thread so it's not lost too easily.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

Also from a foreigner stand point a lot of what these girls do after graduation isn't as accessible to other countries, or even other places in Japan. Such as the stage plays, live houses, and multiple public appearances they make for events. That kind of makes it harder to be a fan. When Mari had her old show I would watch that every week because it would be on YouTube, even though I was not around when she was in MM.

I feel like Sayu had the possibility to keep working after graduation on TV, but she didn't want that.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

What do you guys think about someone like Risako who might come back to the industry some day? I feel like, post-MM, a lot of the recent graduates haven't really set any goals for themselves, especially when it comes to being an artist. I can't tell if they want it to stay small and with the same wota or if they want to expand to the general public but can't (because of promotion, company, many factors)?
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I think a lot if it is not being able to expand to the public, whether it be the stigma of being an idol or not having the skill set to progress beyond it.

I think it's easier for idols who aren't in bigger groups or very popular to move on. I think it's why Mano has done so well because most people didn't know her as Mano Erina the solo idol.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

[quote="eri"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Farrah" data-cid="187822" data-time="1430977967">
<div>

[/quote]

Hmm, but even at the height of their popularity, the girls also cultivated "roles" and "types" within the group in order to stand out. Yoshizawa was the boyish one but only in relation to her function in the group. Yaguchi was the disproportionately loud one, Nakazawa was the old one etc but again only in terms of their identity in the group. The big difference seems to be that some of them cultivated, er, "transferable skills" or identities to a larger celebrity presence. Fujimoto can still be bitchy and Yaguchi can still be kind of loud /crazy and Goto can still be cool as ice. But Yoshizawa can't really bring "the boyish one!" to a long standing career. It is stupid that Riho and Ayumi are identified as the good dancers because wtf does anyone care about that post-idol life?

Did they really say Masaki wasn't allowed on variety shows?

I don't follow the media stuff around mm anymore because I don't have the time, but are they really so boring on tv etc? 

That being said, I think Takahashi Ai has surprisingly made a good post-mm life for herself in fashion and her various generic "tarento" gigs. She was super boring in the group and had no strong character so I thought she'd just do musicals forever and ever. But here she is, putting out fashion books and stuff! So even if no one really stays famous as a solo singer, some of them will keep going on in the celebrity world in other ways.
</div>
</blockquote>

A Takahashi-esque personality of nice, approachable, cute, boring is basically what they all cultivate now haha.  It's true that just having a persona isn't enough to build a career but I'd say it probably does help.  I can't imagine anyone in the current line-up going on to have a career like Yaguchi's.  I don't think any of them have that sort of variety sense in them (partially from lack of experience but again, why have a group of nice, approachable, cute and boring girls all over variety?) The potential for doing irrelevant little stage plays and musicals is of course there as well but when I was speaking of a career in media I suppose I more meant "a visible presence on television".  Something a little more mainstream.  Although again, in the current lineup, I'm not sure how many of them are vocally talented enough to do well in musicals (what I've heard from the Stacy's musicals tells me probably only two or three).

Really, for years during platinum era I bitched about their lack of variety appearances because I thought certain members (Eririn and Junjun in particular) were hilarious but watching the rare variety appearance the current crop make, I bitch less about their lack of appearances and more about how terribly boring they are.  I will say, when they were on some show doing a bunch of physical challenges against comedians (maybe 2013?), Haruka was really funny and did quite well.  But most of what I'm able to find out about the girls nowadays comes from wota fanaccounts and their blogs and I have to say... most of those read boring as well LOL.  Off the top of my head, Fukuda Kanon, Masaki, and Katsuta Rina are the only ones that consistently have interesting, funny or bizarre things to say.  I really love reading wota's stories about them at handshakes.
Last edited by Farrah on Thu May 07, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="eri"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Farrah" data-cid="187822" data-time="1430977967">
<div>

[/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

Those girls cultivated personalities that were somewhat organic, or at least seemed to be. Maybe they were just a lot better at faking their "types" but probably not. I think the girls these days are "managed" a whole lot more tightly than the older girls were. The idea of telling a member of Morning Musume to refrain from speaking on variety shows is unthinkable to me. I remember seeing the 5th and 6th Gens being admonished on Hello! Morning for not making enough of an effort to speak up more on variety shows. Now they're being told, "Shut up. No one wants to see you be interesting." Actually, we do. We're dying to see some real personality from these girls. Hell, most of them can't sing for shit, at least let them try to entertain us with their personality if they're willing. 
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

[quote="JPope"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="eri" data-cid="187836" data-time="1431018467">
<div>

<div>

[/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

Those girls cultivated personalities that were somewhat organic, or at least seemed to be. Maybe they were just a lot better at faking their "types" but probably not. I think the girls these days are "managed" a whole lot more tightly than the older girls were. The idea of telling a member of Morning Musume to refrain from speaking on variety shows is unthinkable to me. I remember seeing the 5th and 6th Gens being admonished on Hello! Morning for not making enough of an effort to speak up more on variety shows. Now they're being told, "Shut up. No one wants to see you be interesting." Actually, we do. We're dying to see some real personality from these girls. Hell, most of them can't sing for shit, at least let them try to entertain us with their personality if they're willing. 

</div>
</blockquote>

That is absolutely totally fascinating and I cannot understand the logic behind it.  Who is not letting Masaki speak? Is it the other, senior girls? Is it management telling her this? Is it different from management telling Koharu not to put her damn foot in her mouth all the time?

If it is indeed the management saying that Masaki isn't allowed to talk on tv shows, I would love to understand their reasoning. Granted, the idol landscape is different now and Morning Musume is competing against lots and lots of very similar types of idol groups. Maybe they are approaching the music market in a different kind of strategy? Because Morning Musume's image has changed considerably. Like, when did they start pushing the fact that they were good at "formation choreography"? In the last 2 years, right because it was never any discernible, vocalized part of their group appeal for for the previous 15 or whatever years. So in light of that, maybe they are trying to promote the group as a GROUP and secondly, as a professional and slick one?
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

They don't let Masaki talk because she says stuff that blows people's goddamn minds and totally throws everything off script. They've been letting her do her thing in print interviews lately, where the interviewer can actually question her about the reasoning and logic of what she says, and they're pretty great, but on TV it just ends up as "WTF?!?"
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

[quote="JPope"]

Now they're being told, "Shut up. No one wants to see you be interesting." Actually, we do. We're dying to see some real personality from these girls. Hell, most of them can't sing for shit, at least let them try to entertain us with their personality if they're willing. 

[/quote]
We do, wota don't.  This is the only conclusion I can come to.  The days of having a bunch of big personalities in every idol group waned off at pretty much the exact same time regular folks stopped giving a shit about idol groups.  When you read what they say on 2ch, it seems like most wota just want a bunch of nadeshiko types.  Of the three "interesting" or "kooky" girls I listed, only Fukuda Kanon is popular and I think a big part of this is because A) she has big boobs, and B) she didn't start really howing her weirdness until a few years into her career.  When wota are making up 80% of the sales, you give them what they want and right now, they want basic girl next door. 

The saddest thing for me when watching old Morning Musume videos is realizing that if I were a 11 year old discovering them now rather than back when I did, they wouldn't have feel relatable to me as a young girl.  There was this feeling of "a girl for everybody" back then where they just kind of had such a variety of characters, almost anyone could find someone that clicked with them.  Whether you were a shy type like Konkon, loud and proud like Yaguchi, or a tomboy like Yossi, there was someone there for you.  There are just so many "nice, quiet, well behaved" idols right now, it's incredibly boring.  I have noticed this trend in other idol groups as well - so it's not just an H!P thing.

I just can't help but feel weird about Masaki's "kooky" answers being considered too much I guess because I mostly watch Korean variety nowadays, and that sort of idol personality (referred to as "4D") is very popular.  I would also say there were quite a few Johnny's idols with that persona that used to be all over variety.  Maybe it's just considered less desirable in a girl, I don't know.
Last edited by Farrah on Fri May 08, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I find the only time you actually get to seen the girls show their true colors is in the DVD Magazines and unless you go to a concert and buy one, you are not seeing the big picture and it's a shame that if you want the fun side you need to pay for it. But given time, some space and a few good people you can find them popping up on trackers. It is a shame that H!P has dwindled down to nothing more than a few web shows, a show on late night TV (that is kind of boring if you actually sit and watch it) and a whole mess of radio programs. As an aside, do the Japanese really listen to THAT much radio? It isn't just H!P to be honest as it's a general question I've always wondered. Japanese radio seems so far removed from what I think typical American radio is. 
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Farrah" data-cid="187864" data-time="1431127654"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="187859" data-time="1431116214">

Now they're being told, "Shut up. No one wants to see you be interesting." Actually, we do. We're dying to see some real personality from these girls. Hell, most of them can't sing for shit, at least let them try to entertain us with their personality if they're willing.
</blockquote>We do, wota don't. This is the only conclusion I can come to. The days of having a bunch of big personalities in every idol group waned off at pretty much the exact same time regular folks stopped giving a shit about idol groups. When you read what they say on 2ch, it seems like most wota just want a bunch of nadeshiko types. Of the three "interesting" or "kooky" girls I listed, only Fukuda Kanon is popular and I think a big part of this is because A) she has big boobs, and B) she didn't start really howing her weirdness until a few years into her career. When wota are making up 80% of the sales, you give them what they want and right now, they want basic girl next door.

The saddest thing for me when watching old Morning Musume videos is realizing that if I were a 11 year old discovering them now rather than back when I did, they wouldn't have feel relatable to me as a young girl. There was this feeling of "a girl for everybody" back then where they just kind of had such a variety of characters, almost anyone could find someone that clicked with them. Whether you were a shy type like Konkon, loud and proud like Yaguchi, or a tomboy like Yossi, there was someone there for you. There are just so many "nice, quiet, well behaved" idols right now, it's incredibly boring. I have noticed this trend in other idol groups as well - so it's not just an H!P thing.

I just can't help but feel weird about Masaki's "kooky" answers being considered too much I guess because I mostly watch Korean variety nowadays, and that sort of idol personality (referred to as "4D") is very popular. I would also say there were quite a few Johnny's idols with that persona that used to be all over variety. Maybe it's just considered less desirable in a girl, I don't know.</blockquote>Kanon's fanbase has shrunk and she's spoken about it in her blog. A lot of her weirdness probably comes from self esteem problems (imo anyway) and being unhappy about the way her group has been managed. That and she's a little obsessed with herself. Rina is just lazy and more concerned about herself and he oddness you spoke of in her handshake events is something she's never bothered to try and show on TV. She just gets annoyed easily and gets onto people.

They're probably worried Masaki will come off as unlikeable and I'd agree with them. I don't see her as this cute special snowflake a lot of intl fans see. I remember when everyone thought it was hilarious she'd ignore people at handshake events, even though it literally meant she wasn't doing her job. To me she just seems immature and a lot of her reactions are way over the top. It's one thing to be like Sayu and Momo and be intentionally unlikeable and another to just rub people the wrong way. It's the same reason I don't think Haruka's stuff from that show you mentioned a couple of years ago would work where she was kicking the hosts and all that, although to a lesser degree. Once you get older, being loud and abrasive doesn't really work the same way.

I don't really get a kpop idol vibe from anyone in MM and even in Korea it's the nice girls who are the most popular. People adore Suzy and do not like Nana, ect. A lot of the 4d stuff is probably super scripted too. I feel like old MM were more interesting but there were also hosts and writers who were more willing or able to help them seem interesting. MM aren't that talented, or that interesting and there's other idols of the same popularity or more who are better investments for tv shows. Even the most popular girls don't do much solo work so there probably isn't a whole lot of opportunity for them in general, especially since tv appearances for the entire group are scarce too. If MM as a whole was more popular or in demand on tv it's lead to solo stuff for everyone.

Letting one girl who isn't all that popular suddenly speak wouldn't change things for MM. The girls people see on tv being interesting need to be the same ones people see as the forerunning vocalists of the group that get a lot of screen time and right now that's Sakura, Riho and Mizuki.
Last edited by Anderei on Fri May 08, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

This seems like a good place to dump this.

Nikki released a large scatter plot of every female act in Japan. (They did one for the males to.) You can see on it where they think Morning Musume ranks. Although the poll was done by like 500 people, so it really doesn't count in the big stream of things. But some people notice these things.

(It's big so I'm linking it.) -> http://i.imgur.com/3y4TLHN.jpg

Copy Pasted this from Arama.
Spoiler: [+]
Vertical axis: Interest

Horizon axis: Familiarity

Green = NEXT Break Zone

Orange = Attention Zone

Blue = Current Leader Zone

Purple = Well Known But Lacking Interest Zone

Pink dots = Actors

Green dots = Musicians

Orange dots = Comedians

Blue dots = Athletes / Tarentos

If you’re in the upper left corner, you’re not really well known by the public, but the people that do know you really care about you.

If you’re in the lower left corner, you’re not really well known by the public and you don’t have a lot of people interested in you.

If you’re in the upper right corner, you’re well know by the public and they’re interested in you.

If you’re in the lower right corner. you’re well known by the public, but they’re not really interested in you.

If you’re more in the middle, you’re in the middle basically. You’re known by a decent amount of the public and they’re interested in you a decent amount.

I was only able to find Juice=Juice, C-ute and Morning Musume. C-ute are up in the left corner in the middle of the green circle and Morning Musume are in the bottom left, just about in the middle. Juice=Juice are at the VERY top on the left side.

So basically, no one seems to care about Morning Musume, but they are known to a degree. No one knows who is the the group, they basically just know the name at this point. There's no hope for any of the girls to do anything if they can't even get people to want to know them at this point. 

Last edited by Shoujo Q on Fri May 08, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

^ Tsugunaga Momoko is on there, too; to the right and up from Morning Musume.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

[quote="Anderei"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Farrah" data-cid="187864" data-time="1431127654">

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="187859" data-time="1431116214">
</blockquote>
We do, wota don't. This is the only conclusion I can come to. The days of having a bunch of big personalities in every idol group waned off at pretty much the exact same time regular folks stopped giving a shit about idol groups. When you read what they say on 2ch, it seems like most wota just want a bunch of nadeshiko types. Of the three "interesting" or "kooky" girls I listed, only Fukuda Kanon is popular and I think a big part of this is because A) she has big boobs, and B) she didn't start really howing her weirdness until a few years into her career. When wota are making up 80% of the sales, you give them what they want and right now, they want basic girl next door.

The saddest thing for me when watching old Morning Musume videos is realizing that if I were a 11 year old discovering them now rather than back when I did, they wouldn't have feel relatable to me as a young girl. There was this feeling of "a girl for everybody" back then where they just kind of had such a variety of characters, almost anyone could find someone that clicked with them. Whether you were a shy type like Konkon, loud and proud like Yaguchi, or a tomboy like Yossi, there was someone there for you. There are just so many "nice, quiet, well behaved" idols right now, it's incredibly boring. I have noticed this trend in other idol groups as well - so it's not just an H!P thing.

I just can't help but feel weird about Masaki's "kooky" answers being considered too much I guess because I mostly watch Korean variety nowadays, and that sort of idol personality (referred to as "4D") is very popular. I would also say there were quite a few Johnny's idols with that persona that used to be all over variety. Maybe it's just considered less desirable in a girl, I don't know.</blockquote>
Kanon's fanbase has shrunk and she's spoken about it in her blog. A lot of her weirdness probably comes from self esteem problems (imo anyway) and being unhappy about the way her group has been managed. That and she's a little obsessed with herself. Rina is just lazy and more concerned about herself and he oddness you spoke of in her handshake events is something she's never bothered to try and show on TV. She just gets annoyed easily and gets onto people.

They're probably worried Masaki will come off as unlikeable and I'd agree with them. I don't see her as this cute special snowflake a lot of intl fans see. I remember when everyone thought it was hilarious she'd ignore people at handshake events, even though it literally meant she wasn't doing her job. To me she just seems immature and a lot of her reactions are way over the top. It's one thing to be like Sayu and Momo and be intentionally unlikeable and another to just rub people the wrong way. It's the same reason I don't think Haruka's stuff from that show you mentioned a couple of years ago would work where she was kicking the hosts and all that, although to a lesser degree. Once you get older, being loud and abrasive doesn't really work the same way.

I don't really get a kpop idol vibe from anyone in MM and even in Korea it's the nice girls who are the most popular. People adore Suzy and do not like Nana, ect. A lot of the 4d stuff is probably super scripted too. I feel like old MM were more interesting but there were also hosts and writers who were more willing or able to help them seem interesting. MM aren't that talented, or that interesting and there's other idols of the same popularity or more who are better investments for tv shows. Even the most popular girls don't do much solo work so there probably isn't a whole lot of opportunity for them in general, especially since tv appearances for the entire group are scarce too. If MM as a whole was more popular or in demand on tv it's lead to solo stuff for everyone.

Letting one girl who isn't all that popular suddenly speak wouldn't change things for MM. The girls people see on tv being interesting need to be the same ones people see as the forerunning vocalists of the group that get a lot of screen time and right now that's Sakura, Riho and Mizuki.

[/quote]

Nana may not be as big as Suzy but she and UEE are literally the only members of After School anyone gives a shit about LOL.  UEE due to her showing so much gumption on the army show and Nana from Orange Caramel + her looks and variety persona.  I'm not talking about a kpop idol "vibe", I was simply pointing out how Korean variety tends to function a bit differently than Japanese variety.  I don't think being a main vocal is important - Rika, Kei and Yaguchi are 90% of what made people tune in to watch MM's Utaban appearances, and none of them had the generic "nice girl" personality type.  Until recently, the only MM front girls that did really were Nacchi and Aichan.  I never said MM would suddenly become more relevant if they showed more personality on TV - they're never even on TV anyway.  I'm speaking from a purely selfish point of view as a fan.  They pander mostly to wota who like the yamato nadeshiko personality type now, and I am not a fan of that, therefore my experience as a fan is dampened.

Personally, I think Masaki's behavior at hi-touch events and whatnot is great because it's a much more memorable experience when the girl is hiding under the table than when she gives you a dead eyed smile and high fives you like everybody else LOL.  Like, that's something you'll probably remember for the rest of your life.  Different isn't always bad, weird is good when weird is interesting.  Kanon's fanbase has shrunk because, as I said, wota don't like interesting girls.  That, plus she doesn't appeal to their lolicon fantasies anymore now that she's 20.  So that actually just kind of proves my point LOL.  I don't understand why people seem to think Masaki would be incapable of holding her shit together enough to get through a variety appearance - it's not like she's going to start randomly throwing feces at the walls because she's a little weird LOL.  I don't really think she's any more bizarre than Koharu and god knows they shoved Koha down our throats.  At the very least, someone would know a member's name if they let them loose on tv.  Beingknown and disliked or gossiped about is superior to being completely unknown, which as we can see from the graph posted above, the entire current line-up may as well be random girls picked off the street as far as the general public is concerned.  Sayu used to top "most hated female celebrity" lists constantly, but the image that made people hate her is also the image that made her a whole lotta money and made her the only member of MM people had heard of.

Last edited by Farrah on Fri May 08, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Shoujo Q" data-cid="187872" data-time="1431136201">
This seems like a good place to dump this.

Nikki released a large scatter plot of every female act in Japan. (They did one for the males to.) You can see on it where they think Morning Musume ranks. Although the poll was done by like 500 people, so it really doesn't count in the big stream of things. But some people notice these things.

(It's big so I'm linking it.) -> <a class="bbc_url" href="http://i.imgur.com/3y4TLHN.jpg">http:// ... LHN.jpg</a>

Copy Pasted this from Arama.
Spoiler: [+]

Vertical axis: Interest

Horizon axis: Familiarity

Green = NEXT Break Zone

Orange = Attention Zone

Blue = Current Leader Zone

Purple = Well Known But Lacking Interest Zone

Pink dots = Actors

Green dots = Musicians

Orange dots = Comedians

Blue dots = Athletes / Tarentos

If you’re in the upper left corner, you’re not really well known by the public, but the people that do know you really care about you.

If you’re in the lower left corner, you’re not really well known by the public and you don’t have a lot of people interested in you.

If you’re in the upper right corner, you’re well know by the public and they’re interested in you.

If you’re in the lower right corner. you’re well known by the public, but they’re not really interested in you.

If you’re more in the middle, you’re in the middle basically. You’re known by a decent amount of the public and they’re interested in you a decent amount.

I was only able to find Juice=Juice, C-ute and Morning Musume. C-ute are up in the left corner in the middle of the green circle and Morning Musume are in the bottom left, just about in the middle. Juice=Juice are at the VERY top on the left side.

So basically, no one seems to care about Morning Musume, but they are known to a degree. No one knows who is the the group, they basically just know the name at this point. There's no hope for any of the girls to do anything if they can't even get people to want to know them at this point.</blockquote>Are we reading this correctly?

Vertical axis is how "hot" you are in terms of public curiosity, isnt it? 見たい聞きたい知りたい。

The horizontal axis is how well known you already are. Thus the well known people who are not necessarily making people curious (bottom right) are called "stable" (安定. Let me take a closer look once i am off mobile but that means anyone in green is kind of up and coming! Yay for juice juice.

Morning musume on the other hand is in a BAD place. No one cares, no one knows.
Last edited by eri on Fri May 08, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

I have to wonder how accurate this is considering that would make some really random groups "up and coming". Super Girls are ranked pretty close to NMB48 but I'm pretty sure NMB48 totally smoke them in terms of sales and visibility? Super Girls have never even hit 100k before whereas NMB average around 400k these days.  Dream5 are also ranked very high but have abysmal sales.
Last edited by Farrah on Fri May 08, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Farrah" data-cid="187874" data-time="1431140940"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="187870" data-time="1431134220">
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Farrah" data-cid="187864" data-time="1431127654"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="187859" data-time="1431116214">
Now they're being told, "Shut up. No one wants to see you be interesting." Actually, we do. We're dying to see some real personality from these girls. Hell, most of them can't sing for shit, at least let them try to entertain us with their personality if they're willing.</blockquote>We do, wota don't. This is the only conclusion I can come to. The days of having a bunch of big personalities in every idol group waned off at pretty much the exact same time regular folks stopped giving a shit about idol groups. When you read what they say on 2ch, it seems like most wota just want a bunch of nadeshiko types. Of the three "interesting" or "kooky" girls I listed, only Fukuda Kanon is popular and I think a big part of this is because A) she has big boobs, and B) she didn't start really howing her weirdness until a few years into her career. When wota are making up 80% of the sales, you give them what they want and right now, they want basic girl next door.

I just can't help but feel weird about Masaki's "kooky" answers being considered too much I guess because I mostly watch Korean variety nowadays, and that sort of idol personality (referred to as "4D") is very popular. I would also say there were quite a few Johnny's idols with that persona that used to be all over variety. Maybe it's just considered less desirable in a girl, I don't know.</blockquote>Kanon's fanbase has shrunk and she's spoken about it in her blog. A lot of her weirdness probably comes from self esteem problems (imo anyway) and being unhappy about the way her group has been managed. That and she's a little obsessed with herself. Rina is just lazy and more concerned about herself and he oddness you spoke of in her handshake events is something she's never bothered to try and show on TV. She just gets annoyed easily and gets onto people.

</blockquote>

Nana may not be as big as Suzy but she and UEE are literally the only members of After School anyone gives a shit about LOL. UEE due to her showing so much gumption on the army show and Nana from Orange Caramel + her looks and variety persona. I'm not talking about a kpop idol "vibe", I was simply pointing out how Korean variety tends to function a bit differently than Japanese variety. I don't think being a main vocal is important - Rika, Kei and Yaguchi are 90% of what made people tune in to watch MM's Utaban appearances, and none of them had the generic "nice girl" personality type. Until recently, the only MM front girls that did really were Nacchi and Aichan. I never said MM would suddenly become more relevant if they showed more personality on TV - they're never even on TV anyway. I'm speaking from a purely selfish point of view as a fan. They pander mostly to wota who like the yamato nadeshiko personality type now, and I am not a fan of that, therefore my experience as a fan is dampened.

Personally, I think Masaki's behavior at hi-touch events and whatnot is great because it's a much more memorable experience when the girl is hiding under the table than when she gives you a dead eyed smile and high fives you like everybody else LOL. Like, that's something you'll probably remember for the rest of your life. Different isn't always bad, weird is good when weird is interesting. Kanon's fanbase has shrunk because, as I said, wota don't like interesting girls. That, plus she doesn't appeal to their lolicon fantasies anymore now that she's 20. So that actually just kind of proves my point LOL. I don't understand why people seem to think Masaki would be incapable of holding her shit together enough to get through a variety appearance - it's not like she's going to start randomly throwing feces at the walls because she's a little weird LOL. I don't really think she's any more bizarre than Koharu and god knows they shoved Koha down our throats. At the very least, someone would know a member's name if they let them loose on tv. Beingknown and disliked or gossiped about is superior to being completely unknown, which as we can see from the graph posted above, the entire current line-up may as well be random girls picked off the street as far as the general public is concerned. Sayu used to top "most hated female celebrity" lists constantly, but the image that made people hate her is also the image that made her a whole lotta money and made her the only member of MM people had heard of.
</blockquote>

I would argue that for idols being disliked isn't necessarily better than nothing. Sayumi's stint as a disliked girl didn't last long and in her last couple of years she wasn't doing a lot of tv stuff. I don't see her doing any better than any other OGs if she decides to continue in show business. And I don't remember Koharu ever having a big tv presence outside of Oha Star. I also don't believe Kanon's fanbase has shrunk because she's 'interesting'. If that were the case no one would have liked Sayumi. She's said it herself, her fans moved onto younger girls and even though I like her, it's really easy to see the character flaws that other people wouldn't enjoy. And even if Masaki could hold her own on a show, I can't really see what she could do that other girls who are occasionally doing solo work couldn't. Eripon really is the best they've got right now, and even she's not great.

Also I think it was different back then because those variety personalities you mentioned were still featured somewhat prominently in their singles. But now when the lines and screen time are heavily skewed in favor of certain girls, I think those are the ones who need to step up to the plate if we're talking about MM becoming more mainstream. Most popular idols I can think of are also the ones who are the most popular in their group. Even in kpop I struggle to think of popular variety idols that are unpopular in the scope of their groups hardcore fanbase.

Also no one really cares about AS at all these days as an off topic aside. Uee is a lot less popular, no one likes Nana and Pledis is in debt lol. Even OCs sales are down.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

I would say being "disliked" is better if it gets you more work, which it did for Sayumi as well as for Nana, she's been all over TV for a while now.  She never would have been an it-girl like Suzy anyway because she doesn't have the girl next door look that everyone loves so much.  But none the less, she gets work because she makes for interesting TV even if her ditzy act gets very annoying after awhile.  Audiences would rather have someone to bitch about online than someone who pulls absolutely zero emotion from them at all.  It's the same thing that makes reality shows purposely script drama, feuds and a good guy vs bad guy dynamic that often doesn't actually exist. 

As far as Koharu goes,  I'm not even speaking in terms of her general relevancy but she was definitely pushed as a front girl.  She was one of only three members to get solo lines in Resonant Blue, had a solo career and was frequently a focal point of Haromoni episodes, all on top of having high merch sales in H!P stores.  So at one point, you could be a weirdo and still be popular with wota.  That doesn't appear to be true anymore.  The things you're calling character flaws are actually exactly what made Kanon become my favorite member of S/mileage/ANGERME :whistling: They're probably, on average, H!P's most interesting crop of girls but most of them are still pretty boring.
Last edited by Farrah on Fri May 08, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Well I just can see why someone wouldn't like a narcissist who complains a lot lol. I like her but iirc her original blog translator stopped because he couldn't stand reading about how she complained about being fat all the time. I can see how reading about how stuff is cool and trying their best all the time is boring but idk if the total other end of the spectrum is the answer.

Also people living in Korea have told me that Nana is on tv but she's not some variety star who is all over the place. Pledis really is just down in the dumps right now. They screwed up all their acts bad.
Last edited by Anderei on Fri May 08, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

I guess I just like her because I find her very real and relatable LOL there are a lot of girls out there that go through the same shit Kanon talks about on her blog so it's very refreshing to see that even idols struggle with the whole self-hate vs. self love dichotomy.

Yeah, I don't think she's some huge deal or anything but at the end of the day, she and UEE are the only AS members making any bank right now despite Pledis being an absolute disaster of a company.  I have no idea why anyone auditions for Pledis, they have ruined basically every act they've created.  AS could have been huge after Bang and NU-EST's debut had a ton of buzz during a very competitive year but Pledis have no idea what they're doing so both groups are pretty much irrelevant at this point (especially NU-EST).
Last edited by Farrah on Fri May 08, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Pledis' new group is gonna slay. A 17 member boy group is truly the answer to their problems. I like Uee a lot but I don't even know if she's had a single acting gig this year lol. It's so sad.

AS were probably never destined to be big as soon as they did the graduation thing. In kpop a lot of the public can name groups but not their members so if you get someone well known you basically shouldn't ever let them go. Even the general public weren't super concerned about Jessica leaving SNSD because it's the group as a whole that matters and not just one element of it.