Hellopro Youtube videos blocked to US viewers

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Re: Hellopro Youtube videos blocked to US viewers

Post by Zoe »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="192249" data-time="1445685334"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Meikochi" data-cid="192245" data-time="1445678414">

Not sure why it also affected your Japan based proxy JPope, it seems to be an "US only" thing.

What's that YouTube Red thing ?</blockquote>
I use a VPN, so I'm assuming that YT has blocked that IP, knowing that it's a popular proxy used by Americans.</blockquote>
Since this is only affecting the US (for now), you could probably get away with using any other country's proxy.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Mizura" data-cid="192269" data-time="1445709748">
I don't see why they just don't have both options available if some channels want to use YouTube red and not others, they should both be allowed to keep their content up. If some of us don't want to pay the subscription fee, we should still be allowed to watch it. But no... YouTube has to go screw everything up.</blockquote>That's not what's going on here. The subscription service is for the ability to skip ads, not to have special access.

YouTube partners need to agree to a new ToS because there's a change to the payment structure and because it may affect agreements those channels have with content creators (this is ESPN's issue).

It's unknown why Japanese channels didn't agree to the new terms. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to hitting the button yet.
Last edited by Zoe on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

"Viewing this thread requires MM-BBS GOLD account" That means we're gold members? YES! Suck it, non-Gold BBS members.  8o

I think, if they really don't want to sign the deal, the most realistic thing is they'll open official channels on NicoNico. Since there's a lot of Japanese traffic there, and the wise foreigners know how to access it.

Edit: Some people have set up a petition to stop the Red.
Last edited by MejraThea on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="JPope"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Meikochi" data-cid="192245" data-time="1445678414">
<div>
Not sure why it also affected your Japan based proxy JPope, it seems to be an "US only" thing.

What's that YouTube Red thing ?
[/quote]

I use a VPN, so I'm assuming that YT has blocked that IP, knowing that it's a popular proxy used by Americans.

</div>
</blockquote>

Apparently they've only blocked some of the IPs my VPN used. I connected to the Russian IP and got it to work. So we have some fairly easy work-arounds for this annoyance.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Zoe"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="192249" data-time="1445685334">

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Meikochi" data-cid="192245" data-time="1445678414">

What's that YouTube Red thing ?
</blockquote>
I use a VPN, so I'm assuming that YT has blocked that IP, knowing that it's a popular proxy used by Americans.</blockquote>
Since this is only affecting the US (for now), you could probably get away with using any other country's proxy.

[/quote]

They have the Japan IP blocked, as well as some other countries. I'm using the IP in Russia successfully at the moment.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Zoe"]That's not what's going on here. The subscription service is for the ability to skip ads, not to have special access.

YouTube partners need to agree to a new ToS because there's a change to the payment structure and because it may affect agreements those channels have with content creators (this is ESPN's issue).

[/quote]

[font=arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px]"And starting early next year, YouTube Red will get even better with member-only access to new, original shows and movies from some of YouTube’s biggest creators. You can read all about Originals coming to YouTube Red here."[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px]"We’re working to bring YouTube Red and our YouTube Music, Gaming and Kids apps to more countries soon. And don’t worry! The free, ad-supported version of YouTube we all know and love isn’t going anywhere. You’ll still be able to enjoy YouTube, along with the YouTube Kids, Gaming and Music apps free of charge. But with YouTube Red, you’ll be able to support the people who make your favorite videos while watching what you want, when you want, on any device you want, uninterrupted."[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px]So, actually, in the long run it will be special access... You can't watch some things without a subscription. That's how it is with some channels now, you must be subscribed in the paid sense to watch the channel's videos.... Just many content creators haven't done that cause it's fucking stupid. I italicized the part with vague wording as well. They say you'll be able to enjoy the apps free of charge, but not that you can watch any content you want besides original Youtube Red content.[/font]
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Additionally, I found this quote on TechCrunch--

"Still, there's bound to be some creators who feel slighted by the deal or coerced into it. And any partnered creator who doesn't sign the deal for YouTube Red will have their videos on the ad-free old-school YouTube hidden from view. That's pretty harsh."
phancy
Kenshuusei

Post by phancy »

[quote="Mizura"]
The main problem is, I have a chromebook meaning I'm stuck only using Google Chrome. And since Chrome is a google product along with YouTube, I'm afraid Google will stop all proxies from working. And also that one you linked was blocked on my end. I'm pretty much going to move to Dailymotion unless YouTube gives up on this whole red thing.
[/quote]

Try VPN maybe? http://www.vpngate.net/en/

[quote="Thea"]
I think, if they really don't want to sign the deal, the most realistic thing is they'll open official channels on NicoNico. Since there's a lot of Japanese traffic there, and the wise foreigners know how to access it.
[/quote]

Not every H!P fan is a wise foreigner though. :hahaha:  What I don't like about NND is that you need premium to get decent quality if the traffic is too big. Can't wait to watch the newest PVs in 240p, that's even worse than Red if UF decides to sign it.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

No, indeed. We must leave them behind, the heathens.  :cop:

I'm not entirely worried about this, I think it'll work out some way.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

What's going to make this even WORSE is that Japan's copyright laws just got a whole lot worse. This is all coming at a horrible time. 
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

This really, really sucks for UFP as they are one of the only Japanese companies making an actual effort to reach out to and appeal to non-Japanese listeners.  They seem to have invested a ton of resources into that area in the last couple of years and this completely erases that.

I guess the old Google "Don't be evil" mantra is deader than ever.
Last edited by Farrah on Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

vpngate is blocked as well (but that probably has something to do with the wifi settings at my house which I have no control over).

From what I could understand of the article it looks like it basically makes it illegal for you to watch YouTube in Japan. If that's the case it looks like it'd mean UFP and many other Japanese artists would probably abandon YouTube for an alternative. I really hope I'm understanding this wrong right now...
Formerly Mizura
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Farrah"]
I guess the old Google "Don't be evil" mantra is deader than ever.
[/quote]

It was never alive, especially at Google.
Kalle
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by Kalle »

This is so aggravating. I've already had a terrible evening and this isn't helping matters. :/ I'll probably look foolish if it ends up being fixed quickly but IDGAF
<p style="text-align:center;">Image
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

I got an email since stuff on my channel is affected and it said something about certain companies needed more time to think about the contract and during that time their videos will be blocked. So if they dont accept the agreement then their videos will be unlocked but they will receive less ad revenue.
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Star"]
I got an email since stuff on my channel is affected and it said something about certain companies needed more time to think about the contract and during that time their videos will be blocked. So if they dont accept the agreement then their videos will be unlocked but they will receive less ad revenue.
[/quote]

I got a couple of emails from YT also, but I didn't see anything about their videos being unlocked if they don't accept the agreement.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Some explanation from one content creator as to why the new deal sucks:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snn7r4
https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/youtube-red

Overall, looks like google came up with a new money making scheme and thought it could effortlessly bully everyone into signing up to it, because they are the almighty google after all. In a way, I do hope that Japanese companies will give them a big fat "fuck you" and walk their own way.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="192258" data-time="1445697665">Is Dohhh Up still around? I thought it was dead. /also bad at sarcasm if that's what's going on. I legit suck at humor. :cryalot:</blockquote>
It was sacrasm. :lol:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="192270" data-time="1445709870">Just set it up through your browser's settings. So much easier. What I've done is set Firefox up as my Japan-proxy browser since I don't use it for anything else.</blockquote>
It needs to be stressed out to only use those free open proxies in a separate browser from the one you use for everyday stuff. Many proxies tend to be honeypots for capturing your traffic, so using them is asking to have your various accounts compromised. Remember to never login to anything through a proxy.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Shoujo Q" data-cid="192291" data-time="1445722431">What's going to make this even WORSE is that Japan's copyright laws just got a whole lot worse. This is all coming at a horrible time.</blockquote>
This article is from 3+ years ago. :lol: But the TPP and TTIP agreements that are in the works currently are actually even worse:

https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp

http://www.nottip.org.uk/aboutttip/

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="192298" data-time="1445725963"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Farrah" data-cid="192293" data-time="1445722873">I guess the old Google "Don't be evil" mantra is deader than ever.</blockquote> 
It was never alive, especially at Google.</blockquote>
Truer words have never been spoken.
Last edited by aine on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Here's a notice I got from YouTube. I omitted my channel name and the names of the four videos affected, all clips from Hello! Morning. Amazingly, most of my offerings remain unaffected.

<div style="font-family:arial, Arial, sans-serif;">
Hi [omitted]
We’re writing because one or more of your videos is no longer viewable in the United States, due to a pre-existing claim by a copyright owner. Before we get to the details, please be assured that this change does not affect your account standing on YouTube, nor does it put your channel at risk of termination. In other words, this is not a “copyright strike.”
Here’s why this is happening: You may have heard that we recently announced YouTube Red - a new membership that offers fans more choice in how they watch their favorite videos with features like ad-free, background and offline viewing for a monthly fee. In order to deliver a great experience for fans who choose to pay for this offering, we are updating our contracts with all of our content partners. The new terms make it possible for us to share subscription revenues with creators, providing an additional revenue stream for them beyond ad-supported YouTube revenue. The overwhelming majority of videos on YouTube are accounted for in our agreements, but there are some partners who have asked for more time to think about their options. While we work with these partners to update their terms, we unfortunately can't make their claimed videos available in the US.
There are a few options that might be available to you. For example:
  • If you believe Content ID mistakenly identified content in your video, or if you have all the rights to use that content, you may be able to dispute the claim. Visit our help center for help understanding and addressing claims.
  • If you’ve received an audio claim, you may be able to remove the song. You can also take advantage of the YouTube Audio Library -- royalty-free tracks you can use for free, forever, for any content you make (not just YouTube videos).

The videos listed below are being affected by this. Each video title links to more information.
  • [Four Video names omitted]

It’s our goal to make as much great content as possible available to as many people as possible, so we’re actively working with copyright owners to restore these videos in the US—for both ad-supported viewers and members of YouTube Red. We sincerely hope this is a temporary situation, and very much appreciate your patience.
- The YouTube Team
</div>

Last edited by Madara on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

A more comprehensive list of Japanese channels affected at the moment:

http://aramajapan.com/news/youtubes-new-policy-change-affects-american-japanese-music-fans/51582/

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

Hello Station doesn't seem to be blocked anymore so I can at least see some of the MVs on YouTube. A non H!P indies group I watch also got their channel unblocked today so there might be some hope to this getting solved.
Formerly Mizura
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Honestly it may have been an issue where all these Japanese channels got an email in English from Youtube and they completely ignored it, but now that things are going to crap they're realizing they missed something.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I've heard that's basically what happened.  And some places have previous contracts that don't allow them to move forward with the new Terms of Service, which is why not everything has gone back up right away.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

It seems so dumb yet totally likely..
Campy <3 !
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Up-Front seems to be aware of their problem now as some people have gotten copy-pasted messages sent to them through Facebook.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">
First of all thank you for your message and your support towards our artists.

Concerning the videos, we know there is a problem with the MVs and we are sorry about this situation. The staff in charge of this is currently working on this subject with YouTube.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards.</blockquote>
Last edited by Shoujo Q on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

YouTube's stance that "No, if you don't agree to new terms you can't just continue with the old ones." seems pretty dumb to me, but maybe that's why I'm not an Internet billionaire.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

Does anyone know if UFA is doing anything about this yet?
rikako♡eripon♡airi
mrsross
モーニング娘。

Post by mrsross »

I know a few people have contacted them on Facebook and they said they're looking into it. (It's a few comments up)
Last edited by mrsross on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Another of my videos got blocked. This one was of local dance group IchiP at a Sakura festival in Brooklyn doing a dance to a C-ute song. So, visually there was nothing connected to UpFront.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="iDOL1641" data-cid="192865" data-time="1447143329">
I know a few people have contacted them on Facebook and they said they're looking into it. (It's a few comments up)</blockquote>
Sorry yeah, I saw that, I just meant any new developments. It's been a while now.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Mizura" data-cid="192237" data-time="1445663047">If it is YouTube Red, this is screwing more people over than helping.</blockquote>
Google has succesfully screwed over people several times before already with YT.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

The interesting thing is the blockage doesn't seem to block everything anymore. It blocks MVs and that's about it. I can still listen to some album tracks (from the updated album) and I can at least still view some of the color codings.
Formerly Mizura