Riho to graduate from MM'15

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Re: Riho to graduate from MM'15

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

[quote="Kalle"]
I just hope this doesn't mean there's going to be a trend of MM shedding girls every year to reflect the name changes. :/
[/quote]
Ehh, shedding girls every year is much more the norm than not. Nor did the last loss go pat with the name change, since there was a month of Michishige-less Morning Musume '14.

aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="192495" data-time="1446174891">Thank you, you three, for considering me. I saw this when you all posted it, and it really warmed me, but I was in such a state that I avoided everything on the internet after the initial meltdown. I've been crying all day, depressed all day. Now I've settled into numbness. Contemplating my being as a fan of H!P.</blockquote>
Hang in there, fellow Riho fan, I understand your pain. :pengin:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="192484" data-time="1446161451">Who's the other one?</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="arcobaleno" data-cid="192487" data-time="1446162914">If you mean aine's other favorite who announced their graduation, it's not her, it's Mizuki Nadeshiko from another group called meltia. Fukuda announced her graduation a while ago.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Meikochi" data-cid="192488" data-time="1446163005">I'm pretty sure Aine was rather speaking of Nadeshiko from meltia.</blockquote>
Correct. There is a Meltia thread, but I've been lazy in updating it (and so was Berry, and they're her discovery!). In some way, Riho's departure hurts less - she will still be around, there is much more material to sustain on, and due to the size of the group and fandom it was much less personal. Riho was more towards the "star" end of the scale for me, while Nadeshiko felt pretty much like a personal friend, if you know what I mean.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Shoujo Q" data-cid="192471" data-time="1446152435">Riho is going overseas to study English and become a dancing queen. Short notice would either mean, this is the time of year they renew their contracts for the next year or whatever program she applied for, she got accepted and she'll need to leave quickly like Aika did.</blockquote>
I'm not holding my breath for that. Every member who went on to study English or dance or whatever overseas might have as well fallen off the face of the planet. Curiously, it seems like it was Kago who made the most relevant career out of it with her New York jazz gigs.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Aika's been pretty relevant lately after coming back from studying English in New Zealand since she now writes articles/reports for H!P and stuff in English. I'd like to think if there's one person who'd really push themselves to go overseas to study dance, it'd be Riho. It's been her plan all along, she just told everyone it wouldn't happen until she was in her 20s. She's said before she wants to study dance abroad and come back to open her own dance studio or something to the like of that.
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Isn't every idol that goes into studying saying that they want to get out of Asia for English studies?
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

[quote="JoshuaJSlone"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Kalle" data-cid="192440" data-time="1446130807">
<div>
I just hope this doesn't mean there's going to be a trend of MM shedding girls every year to reflect the name changes. :/
[/quote]
Ehh, shedding girls every year is much more the norm than not. Nor did the last loss go pat with the name change, since there was a month of Michishige-less Morning Musume '14.
</div>
</blockquote>

They made all the MM'14 thing so it would be easier for people to know which members were on the group that year and the singles they released. I think Riho is leaving in 2 months just because of that, she could perfectly stay around until June, have a graduation single and a graduation tour and a proper goodbye on their Spring tour. But it wouldn't make sense since Riho would be part of MM'14, '15 and half of '16?? I think that's what Kalle means, graduating girls on their Fall tour so they won't be part of the group next year.
Image Hey
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Shoujo Q" data-cid="192506" data-time="1446201377"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="192495" data-time="1446174891"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Shiroi" data-cid="192459" data-time="1446146797"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Derby" data-cid="192448" data-time="1446137116">Is Thea still alive tho?</blockquote>Was wondering this too...</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Molly" data-cid="192461" data-time="1446147482">I'm mostly concerned for Thea lol</blockquote> 
Thank you, you three, for considering me. I saw this when you all posted it, and it really warmed me, but I was in such a state that I avoided everything on the internet after the initial meltdown. I've been crying all day, depressed all day. Now I've settled into numbness. Contemplating my being as a fan of H!P.</blockquote> 
I was thinking about you to Thea. Of course you were the first person, but I was in the middle of work and it was a crappy time for me. But I realized we weren't facebook friends (I thought we were) so that's the first thing I did. Seems quite a few people are worried about you. But I'm glad you're doing okay, as to be expected.

On the bright side, because YOU ALWAYS need to look on the bright side of things. She's staying IN Hello!Project and unlike Aika, they will do something with her talent. I think Up Front would have weighed all the options before allowing Riho to graduate from the group. So, while she's leaving Morning Musume, she isn't leaving forever. Just taking a break, regroup herself and come back even stronger. As a fan, you need to believe this is the case because she hasn't said otherwise. She's spent her entire life working towards something and she's not about to up and leave never to be heard from again. So I suggest, read what Riho's got to say, understand why she's doing it, and go from there with your feelings on the subject.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="yuzu" data-cid="192510" data-time="1446214263">Thea, I know I've said this elsewhere, but if you need to talk I'm always around.  It was just over a year ago I was in a similar position (and a decade ago that my first oshi was graduating the semester before I was studying abroad) so I understand to at least some extent.  But like Q said, at least she'll still be H!P, so even if she leaves for a while she'll be back. :)  I have of course left the fandom before (well, MM, not H!P as a whole), but it always draws you back in.  I remember arco struggling when sayu left, but he stuck around and found other members worthy of his love.  BUT if you need to step back for a while of course you need to do what's best for you.

<3</blockquote>
Thank you, you two! The bright side is hard right now, but I'll try. I am glad she'll still be in H!P, but it'll be quite some years. (About facebook, I recently did a massive sweep is all!) And thank you again, Yuzu.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="192516" data-time="1446222857"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="192495" data-time="1446174891">Thank you, you three, for considering me. I saw this when you all posted it, and it really warmed me, but I was in such a state that I avoided everything on the internet after the initial meltdown. I've been crying all day, depressed all day. Now I've settled into numbness. Contemplating my being as a fan of H!P.</blockquote>
Hang in there, fellow Riho fan, I understand your pain. :pengin:</blockquote>
I was wondering about you!
Last edited by MejraThea on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="192518" data-time="1446225279">
Isn't every idol that goes into studying saying that they want to get out of Asia for English studies?</blockquote>

So far everyone in H!P has actually done so as far as I can think of.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

[quote="Anderei"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="192518" data-time="1446225279">
Isn't every idol that goes into studying saying that they want to get out of Asia for English studies?
</blockquote>

So far everyone in H!P has actually done so as far as I can think of.

[/quote]
Kaneko Rie went to Singapore, but she never technically debuted as a member.
Formerly Mizura
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I don't feel like quoting. But putting Riho up against Aika and Makoto. The only two members that publicly said they were leaving to study english, isn't really a good benchmark. Though Aika has done FAR more after returning than Makoto ever did. She's basically become the voice for the international community. Using Facebook as a means of communicating with the english speaking audience and sharing events we don't normally get to participate in. 

Up Front is NOT that stupid to taking the graduation of their front girl lightly. It would be bad to think, oh hey, yeah sure you can leave and study that's no big deal. You come back and we'll have a job for you stapling papers together with Chinami. They obviously smarter than that and realize what she wants to do can only benefit Hello!Project in the long run. Let her go, train and come back stronger than before. 
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
I don't feel like quoting. But putting Riho up against Aika and Makoto. The only two members that publicly said they were leaving to study english, isn't really a good benchmark. Though Aika has done FAR more after returning than Makoto ever did. She's basically become the voice for the international community. Using Facebook as a means of communicating with the english speaking audience and sharing events we don't normally get to participate in. 

Up Front is NOT that stupid to taking the graduation of their front girl lightly. It would be bad to think, oh hey, yeah sure you can leave and study that's no big deal. You come back and we'll have a job for you stapling papers together with Chinami. They obviously smarter than that and realize what she wants to do can only benefit Hello!Project in the long run. Let her go, train and come back stronger than before. 
[/quote]

I hope you're right. I hope Up Front isn't that stupid. Riho is definitely leaving at a high point, unlike Aika and Makoto. We'll see.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

They'll do something with her but she'll never be top priority like when she was in MM. Idols lose a lot of their selling power as soon as they leave their groups and she won't be an exception. MM will be her peak.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Shoujo Q" data-cid="192541" data-time="1446301192">I don't feel like quoting. But putting Riho up against Aika and Makoto. The only two members that publicly said they were leaving to study english, isn't really a good benchmark. Though Aika has done FAR more after returning than Makoto ever did. She's basically become the voice for the international community. Using Facebook as a means of communicating with the english speaking audience and sharing events we don't normally get to participate in.</blockquote>
I meant music-wise. Personally I have little time to watch or listen or read anything other than their actual music releases or concerts, maybe an occasional Hello! Station or Music+ where I mainly skip to the MVs or concert parts anyway. If they're not in something I can put on my mp3 player, there's very little chance of me coming across them.

Besides, I think I rather see Riho gone from showbiz entirely and enjoying her life than wasting her talent and potential being a boring talking head/newscaster on (let's be honest) obscure and lacklustre youtube-only promotional shows.

tl;dr, proper solo career for Riho or bust.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I don't think Riho will be gone from showbiz at all. She's been doing this her whole life and she's not the type of person to say, screw it, and give up to live a normal life. She's not Eri. 

She explained her reason for the graduation so suddenly on YoungTown radio show. -> You can listen here.

From Sohee at Jplop.
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">

"Well, what I can say is... That since this year I've been thinking about my future. And I've been thinking about that I want to improve my dancing... And that made me realize I have to go "outside" and learn more. I was thinking about it a lot... and talked about it with the people from the agency too. (Sanma: Didn't they ask you to stay in the group a bit longer?) Yes, they did. 
<div>While I was thinking and bothered about it, I would be working as Morning Musume right and I didn't want it to become obvious that I was troubled by something, either."</div>
<div> </div>
<div>"I want to learn about a lot of things I don't know right now. I want to watch many musicals and all and take in everything as much as I can. My parents told me to calm down a bit but I was very determined so I managed to get their approval, too." </div>
</blockquote>

Also here are two translated articles concerning Riho's graduation which are a good read.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Honestly, the most I manage to do these days is watch their music videos once they're released on YouTube. Like Ap, I'm pretty limited in what I experience anymore, mostly from time constraints and a little bit from just not caring enough to actively look for media on them anymore. Either way, Riho is gone to me after she graduates.

With that though, I'm not entirely sure that whatever she chooses to do post-graduation will vibe with what H!P can market. If she really and truly goes the way of a professional dancer, there's nothing H!P can do for her anymore. I don't have a single clue how they'd fit her into their YouTube entourage at that point. Maybe just a short Riho corner featuring whatever she's up to lately, with maybe her latest dance video showcased or something, but it sounds sloppy and forced to me.

If she knows what's good for her career, and it sounds like she does, she knows that she outgrew H!P years ago, and she needs to move on to bigger and better things. Anything H!P can try to do for her now will be forced and will hold her back.
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

"Watch many musicals"? Ugh, I hope she gets to do something more substantial than that.  
andrewmarlin
Juice=Juice

Post by andrewmarlin »

Shocked by the announcement, yes. Do I care, Slightly, She wasn't my favorite, but I didn't hate her either. i think there will be something in the countdown that will be a proper send off. With her popularity, its doubtful they will say. "Oh shows over, Happy New Year, good luck Riho." Shame she isn't getting a concert. As stated, there may be a chance she gets a graduation single. Thrown in the songs you guys talked about, give Riho a solo song, and BAM! You have it out before Christmas. (Cause we all know the video will be the typical MM) video. 

And to think, I am just now getting to where I can tell all the 9, 10, and Oda apart. Oh well...
Magical Source...Mystic Force!!!!
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="MysticForceRed"]
And to think, I am just now getting to where I can tell all the 9, 10, and Oda apart. Oh well...
[/quote]

Ha ha! 
strawberryjam
ANGERME

Post by strawberryjam »

[quote="showraniy"]
If she knows what's good for her career, and it sounds like she does, she knows that she outgrew H!P years ago, and she needs to move on to bigger and better things. Anything H!P can try to do for her now will be forced and will hold her back.
[/quote]
This.
H!P knows nothing about doing anything remotely outside the typical idol mold. See Lovendor.
rabbit reverie
here is a website in which I pretend I am an important person with important things to say.
andrewmarlin
Juice=Juice

Post by andrewmarlin »

[quote="JPope"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MysticForceRed" data-cid="192565" data-time="1446400706">
<div>
[/quote]

Ha ha! 

</div>
</blockquote>
True story, life got real hectic. Instead of watching videos and concerts over and over and learning, I was learning the finer skills in life. With that being said, time to make a lyric video. Those help me as well. 
Noa
ANGERME

Post by Noa »

I'm sure we're going to get a single. There's still two months left of the year and the last one was a bit ago.
ImageImage
<p style="text-align:center;">我最爱你。你是我的太阳。
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="MysticForceRed"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="192566" data-time="1446402626">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MysticForceRed" data-cid="192565" data-time="1446400706">
<div>
[/quote]

Ha ha! 

</div>
</blockquote>
True story, life got real hectic. Instead of watching videos and concerts over and over and learning, I was learning the finer skills in life. With that being said, time to make a lyric video. Those help me as well. 

</div>
</blockquote>

It's funny, because I don't think it was until late last year that I was finally able to put all the names with all the faces, and I've been following the group's releases regularly since One Two Three.
andrewmarlin
Juice=Juice

Post by andrewmarlin »

[quote="JPope"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MysticForceRed" data-cid="192568" data-time="1446403617">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="192566" data-time="1446402626">
<div>

<div>
[/quote]

Ha ha! 

</div>
</blockquote>

</div>
</blockquote>

It's funny, because I don't think it was until late last year that I was finally able to put all the names with all the faces, and I've been following the group's releases regularly since One Two Three.

</div>
</blockquote>
I have been following them as well. It has just been a challenge to me. I am about to make a video background of the members to play as my desktop background. That should help as well.
kitaoji
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by kitaoji »

[quote="aine"]

tl;dr, proper solo career for Riho or bust.

[/quote]

This.  Riho doesn't strike me as the type of person to ~do things for charity~ or other similar tie-ins; that made Mizuki and Teddy (Sakura) much more fitting for the Precure tie-in song earlier this year.  I don't think she'll be looking for a major TV appearance afterwards as an idol.  She seems more like the type to go the Risa and Reina routes, who found careers that they enjoy (plays and bands).

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
I don't think Riho will be gone from showbiz at all. She's been doing this her whole life and she's not the type of person to say, screw it, and give up to live a normal life. She's not Eri. 

From Sohee at Jplop.
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">

"Well, what I can say is... That since this year I've been thinking about my future. And I've been thinking about that I want to improve my dancing... And that made me realize I have to go "outside" and learn more. I was thinking about it a lot... and talked about it with the people from the agency too. (Sanma: Didn't they ask you to stay in the group a bit longer?) Yes, they did. 
<div>While I was thinking and bothered about it, I would be working as Morning Musume right and I didn't want it to become obvious that I was troubled by something, either."</div>
<div> </div>
<div>"I want to learn about a lot of things I don't know right now. I want to watch many musicals and all and take in everything as much as I can. My parents told me to calm down a bit but I was very determined so I managed to get their approval, too." [/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

Musicals?  You don't learn dance from musicals.  At least, not the ones from Broadway or Gekidan Shiki or the stuff that Risa's doing.  I know jack shit about the theater circuit, but that's about as "formation dance-y" as they get.  I was thinking more along the lines of modern jazz fusion performance/dance that we get here in San Francisco.  And that doesn't make it to the top of the Arts page in the newspaper.  

But, kudos to her for willing to go outside of the box.  
[quote="Molly"]
I'm sure we're going to get a single. There's still two months left of the year and the last one was a bit ago.
[/quote]

I dunno.  There's not much incentive for Up-Front to create a marketing project for a graduating member whose last performing day is in 60 days, especially when they have to weigh in items like outfits, music videos, publicity schedules, and the handshake and release events when she won't be in half of them at least. The current promotion run for Oh my Wish/Sukatto/Etc doesn't end until 11/29.  She's got her week of OMGWTFBBQ spotlight in the news; I don't think that she'd like to extend her goodbyes as long as Sayu did, with the bus tours and the FC events and all that good stuff.

If all that sounds really bitter and cynical, my apologies; it's a lot of RL eating away at my personality and bleeding into fandom.  Riho is my favorite in 9th gen and despite this year's showcasing of 12th gen and Eripon's acrobat skills and the cross-groups mingling, I feel like she would still have an important role in H!P.  (Plus, what happens to the Lilium sequel?)

If anything, her graduation treatment is going to be a huge different from the last 5 we had (Aika excepting), And like others have said, she probably realized that she wanted to do things different from what management was trying to do, and decided to end things on amicable terms without having a row over it.*

*quoting Prince Philip here, sorry. 
Last edited by kitaoji on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Do they really need special incentive to release a Morning Musume single every ~4 months? A year with two singles and no albums would be a new minimum.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

It seems like Riho is cognizant of her strengths and weaknesses, and is therefore serious about dancing and not so much singing. Remaining a part of H!P seems like more of a formality than anything else -- like a show of respect from the company for several years of strong service-- as there just isn't much for a dancer to do in H!P outside of an idol group. I expect we'll have seen the last of Riho in H!P after she leaves, unless she returns several years later as a dance instructor. She's still young enough to pursue dancing as a profession, but just barely. It really was a now-or-never decision, I think.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="JoshuaJSlone"]
Do they really need special incentive to release a Morning Musume single every ~4 months? A year with two singles and no albums would be a new minimum.
[/quote]

I'm sure the plan is to release that J-Melo song as a single eventually.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

The group will get SOME sort of song either the end of the year or beginning. Still shooting for an album instead of a single so they can start 2016 with their 60th promo properly.
UF is so formulaic now if you pay attention. They need something new to perform at the Winter H!P concert and probably at the Countdown live. Something that features Riho and something that doesn't so they can transition as smoothly as possible. And I'm sure they'll be putting A LOT of pressure on Zukki to stick to her diet this time. 
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

[quote="JPope"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MysticForceRed" data-cid="192568" data-time="1446403617">
<div>

<div>

<div>
[/quote]

Ha ha! 

</div>
</blockquote>

</div>
</blockquote>

</div>
</blockquote>

You need to get on my level.

*That level is of a loser who left MM fandom for a few years, came back the same time as you, and then dedicated an entire work day to learning every single new face.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

So I am the only one who could tell everyone apart from the Brainstorming line-up with no difficulty when I discovered the group...
Image Hey
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

When I caught up with the current MM, OTT, I could tell them apart before Wakueteka came out.
Last edited by MejraThea on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.