[2016.11.23] Morning Musume '16 - Sexy Cat no Enzetsu / Mukidashi de Mukiatte / Sou Janai

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Revangelis
つばきファクトリー

Re: [2016.11.23] Morning Musume '16 - Sexy Cat no Enzetsu / Mukidashi de Mukiatte / Sou Janai

Post by Revangelis »

https://youtu.be/fdtgnmV7HU0

PV for Mukidashi is out
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Re: [2016.11.23] Morning Musume '16 - Sexy Cat no Enzetsu / Mukidashi de Mukiatte / Sou Janai

Post by Shoujo Q »

That second half, what a tease. That was pretty cool. 

After seeing all the PVs and hearing all the songs this is my final assessment. A
s far as songs go, Mukidashi is my favorite followed by Sexy Cat and then Sou Janai. But Sexy Cat is my favorite PV because it's got Sakura, Mizuki and Duu in the lead and Cats! :D Mukidashi is my 2nd and Sou Janai is my least favorite. That cold open is very drawn out and I still really don't get the whole point of it even after watching it again and again. 
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I like Mukidashide's a lot. It's probably the best song they've had in a while. This single overall is pretty good, compared to their recent ones.
Formerly Mizura
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

What a missed opportunity to have the girls dance the second half of the MV with their transformative "war paint"! That would've been the perfect conclusion with such a powerful lyrical message about fearlessly confronting the world as you are.

Even without that, the MV, song, dance, and styling is perfect. This is the MM I've always wanted to see. This is something I wouldn't be afraid to introduce my friends and family to, even if they wouldn't like it, just because I feel so strongly that it kicks ass.
zlilzlilzlil
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by zlilzlilzlil »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5_z6v2_Ulw&spfreload=10

Some show promoting Sou Janai.

2:40 is pure GOLD!!!
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Revangelis"]
https://youtu.be/fdtgnmV7HU0

PV for Mukidashi is out
[/quote]

Is this the video no one liked? I think it's great. I love the early-to-mid 80s transitions, and the cuts from dark to light and back again are tight. The feel of this video fits the music, which almost transports me back to my mom's kitchen in Dearborn, MI listening to the Electrifying Mojo on my boom-box as a teen. It really has that feel. The only thing I don't like is the costumes.

I like this song the most of the three. Haga's spoken word part is oddly mixed, though. It's so dry and feels out of place.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Agree about Haga's part.
About the "video no one liked" I think it's because in the TV preview we just saw a bit of the dance and maybe one or two non-finished transitions. The H!S version was already better, but the second half totally made it for me now.
smtmissin
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by smtmissin »

They tried to make Haga useful and failed.

arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

I honestly see more use for her than Ogata. At least she's a passable singer and is decently pretty.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I really love this song and dance.

I also love that everyone except Ogata got a solo. In other words, it's perfect. :P

This is a pretty solid single all around, though. I actually really like all the songs.
Last edited by WonderBuono on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="arcobaleno"]
I honestly see more use for her than Ogata. At least she's a passable singer and is decently pretty.
[/quote]

I agree, except with the idea that Haga is prettier than Ogata. I know I'm obviously in the minority on this. Haga is one of the plainest members in the history of MM to me.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Song: Mukidashi > Sexy Cat > Sou Janai

MV: Sexy Cat > Sou Janai > Mukidashi

I think! They're pretty close, especially in the MV department. I like this alternative timeline where Morning Musume music videos have budget and production value. They're legit major league, not near the top, but legit contenders, vs the zero effort throw-away garbage we're so used to be getting.

Song wise, Mukidashi comes on top for putting on a casual playlist, though I do recognize Sexy Cat as a superior composition. Sou Janai lags behind, however I do feel it invokes the 1st album spirit in a couple of ways. It just doesn't do the greatest job as as song.

Very solid and satisfying single overall, contrary to initial misgivings. IMO. :wut:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="smtmissin" data-cid="202214" data-time="1479178897">
</blockquote>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="arcobaleno" data-cid="202215" data-time="1479181315">
</blockquote>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="202223" data-time="1479190239">
I agree, except with the idea that Haga is prettier than Ogata. I know I'm obviously in the minority on this. Haga is one of the plainest members in the history of MM to me.
</blockquote>

Well if we're honest and unbiased ( :tongue:) neither one is very useful. Makino and Nonaka have already (somehow?) proven themselves and gotten lines, even if not always big ones. Ogata and Haga are still in the back more than them, essentially the back members of the back members. One of them deserves a chance to have her voice heard, the other one is Harunan 2.0 and won't. They can both be pretty in their own way. Ogata is simply odd looking, but frighteningly skinny. If she had a bit more weight on her her features might look less gaunt. Whereas, Haga is still a baby, she's only a little bit older than Sayumi was when she joined. So she is currently plain, but no more plain than Sayumi was at around the same time. Now, one could argue whether or not Sayumi really grew to be pretty, or even beautiful (I would argue it). But until that point arises we can't count Haga out.

But she'll certainly never be as pretty a Riho.  :rolleyes:
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

lol Thea Riho's looks were the epitome of bland girl next door. I do agree that Ogata is weird looking.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Hm, I've actually always found Ogata much prettier than Haga. Her only problem is her weight, but once (if) she gains weight, I believe more people will notice that she's good-looking.

And sorry, Thea, but yeah Riho's looks were very plain Jane. She more than made up for it with her performance talents though, so no one cared she was plain. All the more reason I don't get wota fawning over Riho but not Sakura though?! Both have girl-next-door looks with above-average talent, so wtf.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Wota like girl next doors, that's why most idols ARE plain and don't look like beautiful actresses and models. Oda has darker skin and a not small face, which is probably why wota don't think she's cute. Although Dawa and Murota come to mind as darker skinned girls that are really popular.

Edit: Actually looking at a lot of photos, Sakura isn't that tan at all.
Last edited by Anderei on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

Guys it was an obvious joke, poking fun at my own bias. Can't you let go of your hate to laugh at a joke at my own expense, Anderei?
Last edited by MejraThea on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Obviously you didn't use enough emoticons Thea. ;D

Akane is clearly falling into that ugly duckling category that happens with early teens. Some kind of skate through it while others get stuck and can't seem to climb out. But I think she'll be fine, especially when she gets herself some underlings to help boost her spirits. Ain't nothing like a good in house rivalry to motivate you to do better.

And Baby Riho was a flawless little snowflake with lovely flowing hair. Wanted to put her and Zukki in my pocket and feed them cookies when they joined.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
That second half, what a tease. That was pretty cool. 

After seeing all the PVs and hearing all the songs this is my final assessment. A
s far as songs go, Mukidashi is my favorite followed by Sexy Cat and then Sou Janai. But Sexy Cat is my favorite PV because it's got Sakura, Mizuki and Duu in the lead and Cats! :D Mukidashi is my 2nd and Sou Janai is my least favorite. That cold open is very drawn out and I still really don't get the whole point of it even after watching it again and again. 
[/quote]

This is exactly how I feel about this release to a T.

[quote="JPope"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="arcobaleno" data-cid="202215" data-time="1479181315">
<div>
[/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

Same.  I don't hate Haga but so far she has been just completely unremarkable to me.  I think Oharu is gorgeous.

/edit JPop maybe we share this viewpoint since we are the ancient relics left on this board from times of yore....
Last edited by yuzuriha on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
Obviously you didn't use enough emoticons Thea. ;D

Akane is clearly falling into that ugly duckling category that happens with early teens. Some kind of skate through it while others get stuck and can't seem to climb out. But I think she'll be fine, especially when she gets herself some underlings to help boost her spirits. Ain't nothing like a good in house rivalry to motivate you to do better.

And Baby Riho was a flawless little snowflake with lovely flowing hair. Wanted to put her and Zukki in my pocket and feed them cookies when they joined.
[/quote]

If that's an 'ugly duckling' phase, it is the most forgiving ugly duckling phase I've ever seen.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Thea"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="smtmissin" data-cid="202214" data-time="1479178897">
</blockquote>
</blockquote>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="202223" data-time="1479190239">
</blockquote>

Well if we're honest and unbiased ( :tongue:) neither one is very useful. Makino and Nonaka have already (somehow?) proven themselves and gotten lines, even if not always big ones. Ogata and Haga are still in the back more than them, essentially the back members of the back members. One of them deserves a chance to have her voice heard, the other one is Harunan 2.0 and won't. They can both be pretty in their own way. Ogata is simply odd looking, but frighteningly skinny. If she had a bit more weight on her her features might look less gaunt. Whereas, Haga is still a baby, she's only a little bit older than Sayumi was when she joined. So she is currently plain, but no more plain than Sayumi was at around the same time. Now, one could argue whether or not Sayumi really grew to be pretty, or even beautiful (I would argue it). But until that point arises we can't count Haga out.

But she'll certainly never be as pretty a Riho.  :rolleyes:

[/quote]

I agree that they're both useless atm.

The difference with Sayumi is that you could tell she gonna be gorgeous even back then, and I just don't get that when I look at Haga. I don't think she's unattractive, I just don't see what a lot of others seem to see.

And yeah, Riho was pretty much conventionally cute to my eyes.

[quote="yuzu"]

<div>

</div>

Same.  I don't hate Haga but so far she has been just completely unremarkable to me.  I think Oharu is gorgeous.

/edit JPop maybe we share this viewpoint since we are the ancient relics left on this board from times of yore....

[/quote]

Ha ha! Could be!

I don't see Ogata as gorgeous, either, but I do see the potential for her to be gorgeous some day. 
smtmissin
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by smtmissin »

Are you not Asians? Because in my Asian eyes, 80% of MM are pretty girls. They are not bland at all? And I don't like Riho but she IS pretty, especially when she was young up until ~2 years ago.
Sakura sometimes look good and sexy but she's not pretty in my eyes. And it has nothing to do with skin color or size of her face. And seemingly other Asian fans (Japanese fans) agree with me.
Your taste for Asians must be mine for Westerners,
Last edited by smtmissin on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Bland can be pretty, and vice versa. They're not mutually exclusive. I think plenty of H!P girls are pretty, but I wouldn't call most of them stunning or gorgeous. Hence the girl next door phrasing.
Last edited by Anderei on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

[quote="smtmissin"]
Sakura sometimes look good and sexy but she's not pretty in my eyes. And it has nothing to do with skin color or size of her face. And seemingly other Asian fans (Japanese fans) agree with me.
[/quote]

This is not my opinion, nor about my opinion, but instead pointing out: This is not true. Ever since Sakura joined the Japanese fans have hated her, toting her as "ugly" and worse. She's popular with the foreign fans but not the Japanese.
Last edited by MejraThea on Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I don't think anyone here has said or even intimated that any of the girls were ugly. I think a base standard of beauty is assumed when talking about idols, so that terms like "bland" or "plain" mean something different than they would if used to describe random people on the street.

Physical appearance is the last thing I care about with idols, though. Talent, personality, looks. In that order.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

The fact that Ogata is mostly seen as ugly or odd looking here goes to show how different western preferences continue to be from Japanese ones LOL most of the wota on 2ch seem to think she's the best thing since sliced bread.  I think they find her birdlike features combined with her tininess and palenes to be endearing or something.  I think the whole group is very good looking right now - perhaps at the expense of talent. There's really no ugly duckling to me even though there are members I find particularly beautiful (Haruka for instance).

Now that we have the full videos, I think overall Mukidashi and Sou Janai are pretty equal.  Sou Janai is way higher budget but I think Mukidashi is funner - the opening to Sou Janai still serves basically no purpose, expensive CGI or not LOL.  I just wish Mukidashi had gotten a nicer set because it's so plain.  Sexy Cat is obviously the star when it comes to videos but the song is like a compilation of pieces I enjoy and pieces I find either annoying or annoyingly derivative of other recent Morning Musume songs.
Last edited by Farrah on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

[quote="Thea"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="smtmissin" data-cid="202269" data-time="1479258807">
<div>
[/quote]

This is not my opinion, nor about my opinion, but instead pointing out: This is not true. Ever since Sakura joined the Japanese fans have hated her, toting her as "ugly" and worse. She's popular with the foreign fans but not the Japanese.

</div>
</blockquote>

I just realized you said "But not pretty." I'm sorry, I completely missed it and went on to correct you! My apologies.  :doh:
honey
Juice=Juice

Post by honey »

What is it in particular about Sakura that the wota do not find attractive?
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

I've seen wota say she looks like a noh mask before LOL.   I don't know, they're ridiculously hard on her about her looks.