[2017.03.29] °C-ute Final Single - To Tomorrow / FINAL SQUALL / The Curtain Rises

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Re: [2017.03.29] °C-ute Final Single - To Tomorrow / FINAL SQUALL / The Curtain Rises

Post by TicTacAnyone »

DESGUGITA KUI WA UTARE----wait a second, that's not this song. Funny, the set seemed the same  :whistling:  :whistling:
JPope
ANGERME

Re: [2017.03.29] °C-ute Final Single - To Tomorrow / FINAL SQUALL / The Curtain Rises

Post by JPope »

[quote="Farrah"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="206222" data-time="1489815831">
<div>
Well yeah, compared to their last two singles, this is mediocre. Those were great singles, though. I really do think it's unfair to expect that level consistently. Compared to the rest of their catalog, though, I think this stands up nicely.
[/quote]
I think people are just disappointed because the previous single was SO flawless that it would've been the perfect note to end on.  It felt kind of epic, this feels... a bit phoned in tbh.

I'm excited for The Curtain Rises but I can pretty much do without the other two entirely.  They're just very safe and boring to me - I don't hate them but they're a little too unobtrusive.  Final Squall in particular is so similar to Tsugi no Kado wo Magare that it makes it seem worse than it actually is, because Tsugi is such a perfect take on that sound.

</div>
</blockquote>

<div>I see this single as an epilogue to Mugen's final epic, uh, climax. I also try my best to judge each single as a stand-alone work, especially when they follow up a masterpiece.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>To Tomorrow is the only track the feels in any way phoned-in to me, and I dont even mind it so much since it's still an enjoyable enough listen, and I was expecting all three to be phoned-in. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>Although similar, Final Squall is more straight ahead, driving rock compared to Tsugi no Kado's more restrained and refined sound. Groups recycle sounds all the time, so I personally have no issue with it, as I think Squall is both appreciably different and well done in its own right. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>The Curtain Rises is so much better than anyone had any right to expect from a "good-bye" single, tbh.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Here's how I have the nine songs of the last three singles currently ranked:</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Mugen Climax</div>
<div>Summer Wind</div>
<div>Jinsei wa STEP!</div>
<div>Ai wa Maru de Seidenki</div>
<div>The Curtain Rises</div>
<div>Final Squall</div>
<div>Singing ~Ano Koro no You ni~</div>
<div>To Tomorrow</div>
<div>Naze Hito wa Arasoun Darou?</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Obviously subject to change, but all in all, not a bad showing considering what its up against. I don't feel as if C-ute's legacy is in any way diminished by this release, which is what I was worried about. Maybe my expectations were just so low that exceeding them was easy, but I think this single is solid, if not spectacular.</div>
Last edited by JPope on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

Debuted #2 on first day with 54,722 copies sold (Oricon).
Campy <3 !
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

C-ute #5 today on Oricon (with Sexy Zone selling 20k today, added to their 56k yesterday, they should get #1 weekly).

Better news on Billboard though : C-ute sold 94,551 copies on the first day and Sexy Zone 65k.
Campy <3 !
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I wonder if it's just me but the promotion for this single seems a bit underwhelming.

Maybe they're saving up for their last concert? ... or their last concert is the reason they can't spend too much? I mean YokoAri is probably expensive.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

It seems to me as well they didn't promote it a lot.

YokoAri is probably expensive but ~9,500 (ticket price) * 36,000 (YokoAri capacity) is also a lot of money earned for them.
Campy <3 !
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

Oricon : #2 weekly with 66,470 copies sold.

Billboard : #2 weekly with 103,452 copies sold. 1,301 copies less than Sexy Zone, that's really too bad for their last single... Anyway, it's their best selling single and second gold one.
Campy <3 !
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

They definitely under promoted... The Curtain Rises only has 200k views. No matter if you like it or not that's pretty low for not only C-ute, but in H!P in general. All three MVs are generally low views, especially when they're the last single.

I guess UFP wanted to focus more on their live work than on promoting the single. More money in the live stuff than the selling of CDs.