March BBS Madness - C-ute Play-in Round

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

JPope
ANGERME

March BBS Madness - C-ute Play-in Round

Post by JPope »

<div>It's the Play-in round, where we pick the menu for the 1st Round top seeds! This is the C-ute Play-in. Vote for the song in each match-up that you want to see move on to the Tournament.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Voting for this round will be open until 12 PM Sunday (March 19).</div>
<div> </div>
<div>For more info on the Tournament, check the information thread.</div>
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Re: March BBS Madness - C-ute Play-in Round

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Half of these matches felt a little out of place, simply because they're high energy vs low energy songs... If you have a preference between the two it will automatically overshadow, imo. Then again, it made for easy voting :)

Zekkouchou is such a feel-good song for me, it'll be hard to beat against even more of C-ute's other songs. Not only is the MV pleasing to the eye, the message is nice and the bangos infectious.
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

I've barely heard any old C-ute songs, what do I do to vote? Out of this 4 matches I can only vote for Bye Bye Bye lol
Image Hey
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

You can do what I did and go listen to them (I just listened to intro through first chorus), or just not vote on songs you don't know.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

This one was a lot easier since I know at least one from each pair! But this one will be a lot more fun haha. Especially since they were my first.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

I didn't know so many of you had not heard old Berryz and C-ute songs :o

This comes as a surprise to me!!
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

After Special Generation, I got tired of Berryz. And other than 3rd ~LOVE Escalation!~, I was never much of a C-ute fan, until the Naze Hito / Summer Wind / Jinsei wa STEP! single.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="JPope"]
After Special Generation, I got tired of Berryz. And other than 3rd ~LOVE Escalation!~, I was never much of a C-ute fan, until the Naze Hito / Summer Wind / Jinsei wa STEP! single.
[/quote]

Cmaj9 is a really good album if you haven't given it a listen yet...  :)
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

• EVERYDAY Zekkouchou!! vs Arigatou ~Mugen no Yell~ / Arashi wo Okosunda Exciting Fight!
Song: Arigatou > Zekkouchou > Exciting Fight. The last one is just meh overall. Arigatou... I kinda got into it. Through H!P Tap Live. 

Outfits: Casual outfits, eh. Hard to judge. However, Zekkouchou > Arigatou > Exciting Fight. The Zekkouchou ones are pretty cute. The others aren't bad, but since they're available on H!P Tap Live as lousy SR cards I can't like them  :dammit:
MV: Zekkouchou > Arigatou > Exciting Fight. I know the last two were theme songs for the olympic team but... could do without them in the official video. Or make two versions.

Covers: Zekkouchou < Arigatou/Exciting Fight. It's pretty obvious °C-ute got the best covers in all of H!P for a while, that single was no exception. Zekkouchou is... so 2000's. 

Lyrics: Zekkouchou > Arigatou > Exciting Fight. Though Arigatou is pretty close.

Winner: EVERYDAY Zekkouchou!!. Though Arigato isn't that much worse. I think what got me the most was the fact that Maimi still sounded ok back then.
  • FOREVER LOVE vs Kono Machi
Song: FOREVER LOVE > Kono Machi

Outfits: FOREVER LOVE suits > FOREVER LOVE casual outfits > Kono Machi. The fabric choice in Kono Machi basically ruined it all.
MV: Uh... what's that filter in Kono Machi. FOREVER LOVE > Kono Machi

Covers: Uff, that's hard. FOREVER LOVE's are decent, Kono Machi was from a time when °C-ute's covers weren't that great yet but still better than everyone else's. FOREVER LOVE > Kono Machi since that one at least has no weird photoshop on it.

Lyrics: FOREVER LOVE < Kono Machi. Neither are amazing, just like Kono Machi a bit more.

Winner: FOREVER LOVE. Don't be fooled, I dislike them both.
  • SHOCK! vs Koero! Rakuten Eagles
Song: I've already forgotten what that Rakuten song sounds like. SHOCK! > Rakuten Eagles.

Outfits: I'm really not into baseball and think baseball kits in general are ugly. Same for Kobushi's Bacchikoi outfits btw. SHOCK! > Rakuten Eagles.
MV: It's a white background for Rakuten Eagles. Wow. SHOCK! > Rakuten Eagles.

Covers: SHOCK! > Rakuten Eagles. Not that SHOCK!'s are good or anything...

Lyrics: SHOCK! = Rakuten Eagles. I honestly don't care.

Winner: SHOCK!, and this judgement basically shows what I feel about very early °C-ute aside from Massara Blue Jeans.
  • Bye Bye Bye! vs Sekaiichi HAPPY na Onna no Ko
Song: Bye < HAPPY. I actually really like HAPPY na Onna no Ko. 

Outfits: The color-coded outfits are adorable, don't tell me otherwise. Bye < HAPPY.
MV: Bye < HAPPY. I thought the little boxes they were "living" in were cute.

Covers: Bye < HAPPY. They're pretty similar actually! Happy na Onna no Ko just had a budget.

Lyrics: I never even know what they were singing about, but the whole "girls are like that, you can't change them ;)" things annoy me to no end. So Bye > HAPPY.

Winner: Sekaiichi HAPPY na Onna no Ko. Gotta be honest, especially before they went the mature route this was one of the few °C-ute songs that I liked.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="DonJuan"]
Lyrics: I never even know what they were singing about, but the whole "girls are like that, you can't change them ;)" things annoy me to no end. So Bye > HAPPY.
[/quote]

I have to toot my own horn so have Happy vs Bye ;)
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Thanks arco! I made a typo though, it should've been "I never even knew"... and then I looked it up. 
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Looks like we're gonna have a couple of close matches in this round. 
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MM-BBS-sama">
You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.
</blockquote>

Noooo!

I really only have one opinion about these songs and that's a vote FOR Shock!, can you add that in your count manually?
Last edited by Ap2000 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Ap2000"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MM-BBS-sama">
You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.
</blockquote>

Noooo!

I really only have one opinion about these songs and that's a vote FOR Shock!, can you add that in your count manually?

[/quote]

Just vote for others based on cover art or costumes if you don't want to vote on the music.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="206296" data-time="1489881328">Just vote for others based on cover art or costumes if you don't want to vote on the music.</blockquote>
I could do that if I knew the votes weren't close, but I don't want to shift the voting based on a one second impression!
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Then go listen to the songs and pick your favorites. Shoujo Q posted links to all of the songs in the <a class="bbc_url" href="http://mm-bbs.org/index.php?showtopic=7181" title="">info thread</a>. Or don't vote. Your call. I'm not gonna keep track of stray votes, though.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="206297" data-time="1489882607">
I could do that if I knew the votes weren't close, but I don't want to shift the voting based on a one second impression!</blockquote>

Votes are only close for the 1st and the 4th matches, which is only 4 songs to listen to.
Campy <3 !
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Okay, the Selection Committee missed one of C-ute's major singles when doing the pre-seeding ranking. There will be one final play-in match pitting this single against the lowest seeded winner of this round. I should've caught this error when I received the ranking, but I didn't, and this is how I'm gonna fix it. 

EDIT:

Never mind. One single was listed twice, and since that single is currently in a play-in match, I gave the missing song the higher seed.

Carry on!
Last edited by JPope on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="206298" data-time="1489883064">
Then go listen to the songs and pick your favorites.
</blockquote>

(+Meikochi's comment)

Alright, I voted on what seems better on whim.

Bye bye bye is better than most people probably want to admit.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Ap2000"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="206298" data-time="1489883064"> </blockquote>

[/quote]

Yeah, not gonna lie, I've been listening to these songs while working on the bracket ( a HUGE undertaking, btw) and I can't understand how this is in a Play-in match. Then again, it's currently losing, so what do I know? I love this song, though.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="JPope"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="206303" data-time="1489886580">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="206298" data-time="1489883064"></blockquote>

[/quote]

Yeah, not gonna lie, I've been listening to these songs while working on the bracket ( a HUGE undertaking, btw) and I can't understand how this is in a Play-in match. Then again, it's currently losing, so what do I know? I love this song, though.

</div>
</blockquote>

Same here, it's one of my favorite songs from C-ute as a whole. So damn BOPPY! Makes you just want to get up and dance.  :lol:

But lol Ap, I haven't heard that version in a long time.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Close matches are fun, but blowouts make it easier to update the bracket in a timely manner. 
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Voting is now closed.

Bye Bye Bye! and EVERYDAY Zekkouchou!! earn hard fought victories, while FOREVER LOVE and SCHOCK! cruise into the main tournament.

I'll have the bracket and 1st Round match-ups posted after I devour this El Pollo Loco.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

If a mod could lock this thread, that would be wonderful. Thanks!

Guys, stop voting. Your votes don't count anymore. Go vote in the main tournament threads.