2017 MARCH BBS MADNESS ROUND 1 - SOUTH REGION

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

JPope
ANGERME

2017 MARCH BBS MADNESS ROUND 1 - SOUTH REGION

Post by JPope »

Live from the Fukuoka Convention Center in, er, Fukuoka, it's Round 1 of the 2017 MARCH BBS MADNESS! The South Region features 16 singles from Berryz Koubou. Vote for the single you like best in each match-up. Information about the tournament can be found in the main tournament thread, including the full tournament bracket and links to all of the songs. The Berryz Koubou page at the Hello! Project Wiki is also useful for comparing cover art and costumes. Remember, you're judging the single as a whole, not just the lead songs. Use whatever criteria you wish to determine your vote. You must vote in each match-up.

EDIT:

Voting ends Wednesday at 2 PM PDT.
Last edited by JPope on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Re: 2017 MARCH BBS MADNESS ROUND 1 - SOUTH REGION

Post by DonJuan »

Dschingis Khan and Be Genki against each other? Life is too precious for this. 
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Kokuhaku is a great song, but there's no way it beats PIriri.... Sadly.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

<div>And for this region...</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 1: Happiness ~Koufuku Kangei!~. It's not one of my favorite singles, but I liked everything more than what Otona/Ichiokusanzenman was.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 2: Nijuuichiji Made no Cinderella. I liked Motto/Erotic as a single, but Nijuuichiji is just so classic for me, it's one of my favorite Berryz songs.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 3: Dschinghis Khan. I love it as an A-side, and while I don't like Darling I LOVE YOU as much, I like it enough. I like Be Genki enough, especially Captain's nice solo, but it's not much of a contest for me.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 4: Romance/Towa. I liked it a single much more than anything Dannasama/Ryuusei had to offer, once more.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 5: Kokuhaku no Funsui Hiroba. I like the lead song so much it overpowers..... plus Seishun Oodori was decent enough for me.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 6: Tsukiatteru no ni Katoamoi, hands down.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 7: .....AHHHHHHHHH. One of my favorite B-sides (Yuuki wo Kudasai!) against one of my favorite A-sides (VERY BEAUTY)..... In the end, VERY BEAUTY. It's just so great.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 8: Waracchaou yo BOYFRIEND, hands down. Risako was like a little Disney princess, so adorable. T.T And I love the song itself, too, and the MV... and everything. Well, except Suhada PichiPichi, lol, I don't like it at all, but I can look past that.</div>
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Here we go~ 

<div>Round 1 : This was hard. While I liked the c/w for Happiness ~Koufuku Kangei!~. It's in my Top 5 favorite Berryz C/W for sure. But I like the Diet song more. </div>
<div>My Pick - Otona na no yo! / 1oku 3zenman Sou Diet Oukoku </div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 2 : No Contest. Sorry Cinderella, ROCK Erotic won. It had Risako in bunny ears and pandering to the fans. Even Miyabi's floppy hat in Motto Zutto Issho ni Itakatta couldn't derail the song for me.</div>
<div>My Pick - Motto Zutto Issho ni Itakatta / ROCK Erotic</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 3 : I never liked Be Genki. xD A shoe could have won against it. Also, I really loved Dschinghis Khan's MV. </div>
<div>My Pick - Dschinghis Khan</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 4 : When Berryz did all those anime openings I totally checked out as a fan of them. But Romance/Towa is a great single that I'm happy Berryz ended on. </div>
<div>My Pick - Romance wo Katatte / Towa no Uta</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 5 : Kokuhaku no Funsui Hiroba had a great c/w song. Overall I loved the single, even the outfits were cute and the MV was great. Piriri to Yukou just couldn't compete. </div>
<div>My Pick - Kokuhaku no Funsui Hiroba</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 6 : Three words made this the winner, Warera! Berryz Kamen. I like the single too, one of my favorites actually. But Warera! Berryz Kamen is a jam! </div>
<div>My Pick - Tsukiatteru no ni Kataomoi</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 7: This was HARD. I love WANT so much, but VERY BEAUTY is a classic. Came down to the c/w and I enjoy VERY BEAUTY's more. </div>
<div>My Pick - VERY BEAUTY</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Round 8: Another hard one for me. I eventually went to Fighting Pose because it holds more nostalgia for me. </div>
<div>My Pick -  Fighting Pose wa Date ja nai!</div>
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

<div>1. Otona na no yo! / 1oku 3zenman Sou Diet Oukoku VS 16. Happiness ~Koufuku Kangei!~</div>
<div> </div>
<div>A reminder that not all of Berryz early stuff was gold.</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>2. Motto Zutto Issho ni Itakatta / ROCK Erotic VS 15. 21ji Made no Cinderella</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I voted for 21ji Made no Cinderella. Don't judge me. Cinderella is the only catchy song out of the six in this match-up. </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>3. Dschinghis Khan VS 14. Be Genki (Naseba Naru!)</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I liked Dschinghis Khan more when it was called Koi no Dance Site. I don't have a huge problem with stealing/recycling, but this doesn't bring anything fresh to the table. Be Genki, on the other hand, has really interesting changes, especially the major-to-minor switch in the verse. I really like this one a lot.</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>4. Romance wo Katatte / Towa no Uta VS 13. Watashi no Mirai no Danna-sama / Ryuusei Boy</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I've been guilty of ragging on Berryz's last few singles, but Romance is quite good. It's clearly the better of the lead songs, and although the DANCE☆MAN goodness of Ryuusei Boy gives it a run for its money, I still went with Romance.</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>5. Kokuhaku no Funsui Hiroba VS 12. Piriri to Yukou!</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Piriri to Yukou! is fun, but Kokuhaku no Funsui Hiroba is the sort of down tempo pop that Tsunku is really great at.</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>6. Gag 100kaibun Aishite Kudasai VS 11. Tsukiatteru no ni Kataomoi</div>
<div> </div>
<div>How many more copies would Gag 100kaibun Aishite Kudasai have sold had it been recorded by 1st gen Mini Moni? Probably a lot more.</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>7. WANT! VS 10. VERY BEAUTY</div>
<div> </div>
<div>VERY BEAUTY might be hackneyed mid-tempo Jpop, but WANT! is like a meth-head constantly heading nowhere in particular. VB has the better B-side, too.</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>8. Fighting Pose wa Date ja nai! VS 9. Waracchaou yo BOYFRIEND</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Transparently retro songs have to be amazing for me to really like them -- think Shining Itoshiki Anata -- and while Waracchaou yo BOYFRIEND has a great chorus, it doesn't quite beat the ridiculously catchy Fighting Pose for me.</div>
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Y'all sleeping on I'm So Cool? 

One of my favorite B-sides from them... It helped boost the single a lot for me since 21ji is such a good competitor.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

1. Otona na no yo! / 1oku 3zenman Sou Diet Oukoku VS 16. Happiness ~Koufuku Kangei!~

It might be because MM covered 1oku with Zukki as lead but I kinda like it. It gets very repetitive during the second verse but other than that I thought it was cool. Otona no yo was okay too.

2. Motto Zutto Issho ni Itakatta / ROCK Erotic VS 15. 21ji Made no Cinderella

It's not ROCK Erotic, it's Motto Zutto. I loved it when it just came out. Also, Risako with that hat.

3. Dschinghis Khan VS 14. Be Genki (Naseba Naru!)

I've mentioned it before I think, I really like Be Genki. It's like that cheap superman cover guilty pleasure that you come back to every now and then. But I can't not vote for Dschingis Khan. I've sang and danced to it before Berryz members were even born, hah! (Not the Japanese version though.)

4. Romance wo Katatte / Towa no Uta VS 13. Watashi no Mirai no Danna-sama / Ryuusei Boy
Fu, fu, White Romance. I loved that move. In general it was one of the best later Berryz releases. Towa no Uta wasn't exactly my cup of tea but still quite good.  

5. Kokuhaku no Funsui Hiroba VS 12. Piriri to Yukou!

Another case of "Who are you?". While I could sing Piriri just like that I had to look up Kokuhaku. The problem: Kokuhaku is actually pretty nice. It was a hard decision, but Piriri is more fun.

6. Gag 100kaibun Aishite Kudasai VS 11. Tsukiatteru no ni Kataomoi

Never liked Gag. That beginning is annoying. Tsukiatteru however is super cute. 

7. WANT! VS 10. VERY BEAUTY

Don't misunderstand me: I don't really like VERY BEAUTY. I just dislike WANT! more. 

8. Fighting Pose wa Date ja nai! VS 9. Waracchaou yo BOYFRIEND
The MV for Fighting Pose is just too damn cute not to vote for it, while the MV for BOYFRIEND is... not so good.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

[quote="JPope"]

<div>1. Otona na no yo! / 1oku 3zenman Sou Diet Oukoku VS 16. Happiness ~Koufuku Kangei!~</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>2. Motto Zutto Issho ni Itakatta / ROCK Erotic VS 15. 21ji Made no Cinderella</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I voted for 21ji Made no Cinderella. Don't judge me. Cinderella is the only catchy song out of the six in this match-up. </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>I liked Dschinghis Khan more when it was called Koi no Dance Site. I don't have a huge problem with stealing/recycling, but this doesn't bring anything fresh to the table. Be Genki, on the other hand, has really interesting changes, especially the major-to-minor switch in the verse. I really like this one a lot.</div>
<div> </div>
[/quote]

RE:

1 - LOL Truer words were never spoken.

2 - Rock Erotic is my favorite "new school" Berryz song so obviously I had to go with that one, but Cinderella is one of my faves as well.

3. But Dschinghis Khan is a cover anyway so it's recycling by its very nature lol
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="yuzu"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="206370" data-time="1489967801">
<div>

<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
[/quote]

3. But Dschinghis Khan is a cover anyway so it's recycling by its very nature lol

</div>
</blockquote>

Ah ha ha, I didn't know. So Koi no Dance Site ripped this off. I still like Be Genki more.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

This tournament is reminding me why I largely ignored both groups throughout most of their careers. :lol: They started off as kid groups with some fun quirky songs, then followed by the longest streaks of boring after boring after boring, with only an occasional gem here and there. Finally in only maybe the last 5th of their careers the frequency of good songs increased and overall they got a little less boring. But I still had to flip a coin a few times this round because I just didn't care either way.

It's a good way to remind oneself of their complete discographies though.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~