Ogata Haruna to graduate MM&H!P

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

AquaChan
ANGERME

Ogata Haruna to graduate MM&H!P

Post by AquaChan »

Official Statement

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">
She'll graduate at the last Budoukan concert of the tour in order to focus on her university studies. She wants to attend university and is unable to balance it plus idol work.
</blockquote>

Well, not the Haruna I expected. I can't say I'm disapointed  :whistling:
Team Yellow love 
<p style="text-align:center;">♥ Rikako ♥ Yumeno ♥ Yokoyan ♥ Kamiko ♥ Kamei ♥ 
Mukuro
ANGERME

Re: Ogata Haruna to graduate MM&H!P

Post by Mukuro »

I'm glad she's taking her education seriously, so this doesn't bother me at all.
Noa
ANGERME

Post by Noa »

Can she take the other Haruma with her?
ImageImage
<p style="text-align:center;">我最爱你。你是我的太阳。
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

Yeah, personally I don't think she brought much to the table, so this graduation doesn't bother me one bit.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Hot damn. I always knew she wasn't gonna last for long but considering who else is in the group I'm a bit surprised.

Quite a short notice though, isn't it?
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

Is she starting university this year or did she start last year?

Edit: oh, apparently she failed the exams last year and still didn't do too hot on this year's exams, so she ended up in a school with a schedule that wouldn't work with outside activities
Last edited by Zoe on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

It’ll be odd to see a member to before hitting the four year mark considering how long everyone stays now, but it sounds like she’s got a pretty good reason.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

She had so much potential and then fizzled out.  I'm a little bummed but I'm not surprised and it makes sense. 
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

I can’t say I’m too bummed... I won’t go any further since everyone has their favorite girl. But yeah ????

This strikes me as anything but “too soon” or “so sudden” I mean 12th gen has been around for like 4 years now. Akane is about to be 16 and Maria is 17... I always thought we’d lose a 12th gen much sooner than this.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="TicTacAnyone" data-cid="213229" data-time="1522162566">
I can’t say I’m too bummed... I won’t go any further since everyone has their favorite girl. But yeah ????

This strikes me as anything but “too soon” or “so sudden” I mean 12th gen has been around for like 4 years now. Akane is about to be 16 and Maria is 17... I always thought we’d lose a 12th gen much sooner than this.</blockquote>

It’s been nearly twenty years since we lost a member much sooner than this.
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

The timing of the announcement vs graduation is definitely sudden. Can't really be helped though if she didn't get the results of her exam until right before the start of the tour.
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

I still can't pick her out of the 12th gen (I know Miki and Maria) so I don't really care much. Glad it's not a forced grad due to medical reasons.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I’m not too surprised or disappointed either. They shoved her in the back pretty fast and she hadn’t really improved. She probably would’ve done better in a group like Angerme where they could actually showcase her personality properly.
Formerly Mizura
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

And the award for least eventful MM tenure goes to...

Remember when we were all excited for her because she seemed like a maniac on her Twitter before she joined MM?
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

It took me almost 2 years to be interested in her but she ended up in the middle of my ranking so I'm quite sad she is leaving now. But I feel even more upset for her that she failed twice her entrance exams, maybe not because of MM but it certainly didn't help, and has to go to a 2-year program in a society that places so much emphasis on academic records. There is litterally 7 girls I would have prefered to leave before her and she still has more potential (even if not tons of) than Ikuta or else who completely hit their ceiling and don't and won't bring anything anymore to the group so sad she is leaving now. But well, it can't be helped and I hope she will be able to succeed in her plans to graduate from her 2-year university to enter a good "regular" (4 years) one.
Last edited by Meikochi on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campy <3 !
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

Oh wow definitely surprising, but I also don’t feel like she was really adding anything to the group, so I’m not going to miss her much. I wish her all the best though in the future!
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="Meikochi"]
It took me almost 2 years to be interested in her but she ended up in the middle of my ranking so I'm quite sad she is leaving now. But I feel even more upset for her that she failed twice her entrance exams, maybe not because of MM but it certainly didn't help, and have to go to a 2-year program in a society that places so much emphasis on academic records. There is litterally 7 girls I would have prefered to leave before her and she still has more potential (even if not tons of) than Ikuta or else who completely hit their ceiling and don't and won't bring anything anymore to the group so sad she is leaving now. But well, it can't be helped and I hope she will be able to succeed in her plans to graduate from her 2-year university to enter a good "regular" (4 years) one.
[/quote]

I suspect that she's probably not a great student in general and touring and what not didn't help. It does suck that she failed twice, though.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="213238" data-time="1522184929"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Meikochi" data-cid="213236" data-time="1522175747">
It took me almost 2 years to be interested in her but she ended up in the middle of my ranking so I'm quite sad she is leaving now. But I feel even more upset for her that she failed twice her entrance exams, maybe not because of MM but it certainly didn't help, and has to go to a 2-year program in a society that places so much emphasis on academic records. There is litterally 7 girls I would have prefered to leave before her and she still has more potential (even if not tons of) than Ikuta or else who completely hit their ceiling and don't and won't bring anything anymore to the group so sad she is leaving now. But well, it can't be helped and I hope she will be able to succeed in her plans to graduate from her 2-year university to enter a good "regular" (4 years) one.</blockquote>

I suspect that she's probably not a great student in general and touring and what not didn't help. It does suck that she failed twice, though.</blockquote>

Comparing to Airi who entered Keio, one of the best universities in Japan, and sat her exams sometimes between concerts and rehearsals of Berikyuu 2011 Autumn Tour, °C-ute 2011 - 2012 Winter Tour, H!P 2012 Winter Tour, Buono! 2012 Winter Tour (and Paris concert), Haruna isn't certainly a great student so I feel sorry for her she was somewhat held back by MM, who didn't even use her much. For that, I at least hope she had fun while it lasted and made good friends and memories during this time.
Campy <3 !
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Yeah, it does suck. Also kinda sad for her to have to do the 2-year-college considering how 4-year-university in Japan usually sounds rather laid back. 
Maybe she didn't want to announce she goes to university before passing the test but then someone (wasn't it Maria?) blurted it out on radio. Sucks that she has to officially acknowledge that she failed twice now. 

On a more rational and maybe rude approach though she's definitely the least talented person in the group to go. It's kinda sad that they never really made use of her not-boring idol persona, then again it seemed like she only made half-funny jokes about her being white and Haruna being dark and neither of both having a bigger chest. 

I would have preferred other people leaving before her, but I don't think I'm really going to miss her, despite her being quite high on my favourite members list.

And on a really mean note that was a totally wasted tenure and considering who else was in that audition and even a finalist (looking at Moe, Uta, Ozeko and Nanami; aside from Moe none of them is a great singer but either cute or more entertaining than Haruna) I can't help but feel a bit annoyed. 
Last edited by DonJuan on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="DonJuan"]
Yeah, it does suck. Also kinda sad for her to have to do the 2-year-college considering how 4-year-university in Japan usually sounds rather laid back. 
Maybe she didn't want to announce she goes to university before passing the test but then someone (wasn't it Maria?) blurted it out on radio. Sucks that she has to officially acknowledge that she failed twice now. 

On a more rational and maybe rude approach though she's definitely the least talented person in the group to go. It's kinda sad that they never really made use of her not-boring idol persona, then again it seemed like she only made half-funny jokes about her being white and Haruna being dark and neither of both having a bigger chest. 

I would have preferred other people leaving before her, but I don't think I'm really going to miss her, despite her being quite high on my favourite members list.

And on a really mean note that was a totally wasted tenure and considering who else was in that audition and even a finalist (looking at Moe, Uta, Ozeko and Nanami; aside from Moe none of them is a great singer but either cute or more entertaining than Haruna) I can't help but feel a bit annoyed. 
[/quote]

I am super thankful that Moe didn't make it into MM.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I'm thankful none of the girls that I listed made it into MM since they did much, much better in their respective groups, even though Ozeko is kinda hanging there with CG being a side project.
But generally, a more talented and more pushed member could have easily made it into MM. 
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Yeah, but 12th gen have done a good job of being pretty crappy as a whole. It's been a nice team effort from all four of them. I appreciate the commitment.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I don't disagree with you at all, but I can kind of see why the other three would be there.

Maria was the loli who turned out to become the new photobook girl.
Miki was the somewhat talented person that still was no threat to Riho, Sakura, Mizuki or even Masaki/Duu/Ayumi. 
Akane, well, they could have taken any younger Kenshuusei since they totally left her in the back as someone with growing potential, but I guess they wanted to ride on the fact that she has some features that resemble Sayumi or something. Also they might have wanted a mediocre Kenshuusei, since they didn't really want to shake things up.
Haruna though? She was already "old", older than the younger 10th gens and the same age as the younger 9th gens, and definitely brought nothing to the table in terms of talent. When they added Harunan it made sense they wanted to close the gap between Mizuki and Aika (which turned into the gap between Mizuki and Reina), but everything about Ogata was so weird. I mean she was very white yeah and they wanted to push her as a visual but they stopped that pretty quickly, especially when her weight problems started. As said, they never made use of her actual qualities, like having the potential to be entertaining. 

Spoiler: [+]
My theory was and still is that they intended to make 12th gen a slow gen, with the hope of Miki becoming a reliable 3rd row singer quickly and the others being in the back. Then Riho left suddenly, that wasn't planned at all, and they did regret not adding a center-like girl. Akane didn't get out of her shell until lately, Ogata started having weight problems and it took much longer for them to train Miki to fill the gap in singing (they still prefer Ayumi over her, and if that isn't a sign I don't know). The only one that kinda worked was Maria, filling the loli gap. But she still didn't become center or face in any way. 

This also goes well with my theory that 12th gen was the first MM generation without any assistance from Tsunku. I know he never made the final decision aside from 1st gen, but considering who was in the finals - girls like Uta, Saori, Ami, total moe blobs - and who was chosen in the end it feels rather obvious. It becomes even more certain looking at 13th gen: Yokoyan could have been one of the wild cards Tsunku likes but Kaede is so out of what he usually picks. She's averagely talented and doesn't have much space to grow, something which Tsunku always tried to avoid. There were other members who didn't grow much, like Aika, but it's not like Aika had no potential at all, especially since she was younger than Kaede when she joined. Then the whole Morito thing when they desperately tried to add a face to the group. Another thing that won't work out. 
Last edited by DonJuan on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honey
Juice=Juice

Post by honey »

Dang lol. I’m really more disappointed that she seems to have squandered her tenure than by the fact she’s actually leaving. I have to admire her for holding on though— I think it’s fairly evident by her eating disorder and failed university exams that she wasn’t really ever emotionally/mentally capable of handling being an idol, but she tried, and I guess that also explains her lack of improvement lol.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="DonJuan"]
I don't disagree with you at all, but I can kind of see why the other three would be there.

Maria was the loli who turned out to become the new photobook girl.
Miki was the somewhat talented person that still was no threat to Riho, Sakura, Mizuki or even Masaki/Duu/Ayumi. 
Akane, well, they could have taken any younger Kenshuusei since they totally left her in the back as someone with growing potential, but I guess they wanted to ride on the fact that she has some features that resemble Sayumi or something. Also they might have wanted a mediocre Kenshuusei, since they didn't really want to shake things up.
Haruna though? She was already "old", older than the younger 10th gens and the same age as the younger 9th gens, and definitely brought nothing to the table in terms of talent. When they added Harunan it made sense they wanted to close the gap between Mizuki and Aika (which turned into the gap between Mizuki and Reina), but everything about Ogata was so weird. I mean she was very white yeah and they wanted to push her as a visual but they stopped that pretty quickly, especially when her weight problems started. As said, they never made use of her actual qualities, like having the potential to be entertaining. 

Spoiler: [+]
My theory was and still is that they intended to make 12th gen a slow gen, with the hope of Miki becoming a reliable 3rd row singer quickly and the others being in the back. Then Riho left suddenly, that wasn't planned at all, and they did regret not adding a center-like girl. Akane didn't get out of her shell until lately, Ogata started having weight problems and it took much longer for them to train Miki to fill the gap in singing (they still prefer Ayumi over her, and if that isn't a sign I don't know). The only one that kinda worked was Maria, filling the loli gap. But she still didn't become center or face in any way. 

This also goes well with my theory that 12th gen was the first MM generation without any assistance from Tsunku. I know he never made the final decision aside from 1st gen, but considering who was in the finals - girls like Uta, Saori, Ami, total moe blobs - and who was chosen in the end it feels rather obvious. It becomes even more certain looking at 13th gen: Yokoyan could have been one of the wild cards Tsunku likes but Kaede is so out of what he usually picks. She's averagely talented and doesn't have much space to grow, something which Tsunku always tried to avoid. There were other members who didn't grow much, like Aika, but it's not like Aika had no potential at all, especially since she was younger than Kaede when she joined. Then the whole Morito thing when they desperately tried to add a face to the group. Another thing that won't work out. 
[/quote]

You can't make a face if you're not willing to commit to them. You gotta basically shove a girl in everyone's face and put your weight behind them for awhile, all these companies think it'll work if you only do it once or twice. Riho wasn't face material, but they put her at the forefront of everything and basically treated her like she was the Mariah Carey of idols. Now they do it once and if it's not an instant success they give up.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

This is the first time I've ever been happy about a grad announcement I'm a terrible person lol. It is surprising though, but yeah this'll be good for her because the idol world was just clearly not for her.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Revangelis
つばきファクトリー

Post by Revangelis »

I am a bit surprised that it's her, but not exactly disappointed... anyway, I'm glad she's putting her studies first.
mrsross
モーニング娘。

Post by mrsross »

It's completely left field for me. I would figure all of 12th gen would stay in the group a little bit longer. It's also weird that it's happening so fast. Almost as quick as Riho's.
Mukuro
ANGERME

Post by Mukuro »

Apparently she will have been in the group for less time than JunLin when she graduates. That feels really short by current graduation standards.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

To be honest I don't think Kaede or Chisato will last that long either. It's the risk of adding members that are already a bit older. And since "idol" is not as good a first step into entertainment business as it was some time ago we'll have more girls who care more about education, which puts high school graduatees at risk of graduating.