Whatever Happened to Single V releases?

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Madara
ANGERME

Whatever Happened to Single V releases?

Post by Madara »

I realized something yesterday. I haven’t seen a Single V release from Hello! Project in years. Why did they stop releasing those? The Single V would normally have the main version of the PV, an alternate version (usually Close-up), and a significant amount of Making of footage. If you wanted the Dance Shot Ver., as I usually did, you had to buy the CD single, Limited Edition Type A, which generally came with a supplemental DVD offering the Dance Shot Ver. Single Vs normally had the one song, although towards the end, they had two songs with two different videos on them, plus Making of. Now, if you want all the PVs for each of the songs in a two- or three-song single release, you have to buy separate copies of each.

I just checked my inventory and the last three Single Vs I bought were these:

Tues. Feb. 14, 2012
Buono!: Single V "Hatsukoi Cider / DEEP MIND"   DVD/1500yen/released 1/25/12

Fri. Dec. 2, 2011
S/mileage: Single V "Tachia Girl" DVD / rel. 10/12/11

Wed. Oct. 5, 2011
Morning Musume: Single V: "Kono Chikyu no Heiwa wo Honki de Negatteirundayo! / Kare to Issho ni Omise ga Shitai"
DVD/ 1500 yen=$19.18/rel. 9/21/11

(The Making of segment for this release is 69 minutes!)

The first current release Single V I bought from CDJapan was this one:

Tues. May 27, 2008
C-ute: Single V: Namida no Iro (2008)

I did eventually purchase many earlier Single Vs from CDJapan, and I’d actually bought quite a few older ones from Book Off after becoming a fan in 2005, many of them on VHS, e.g. "Love Machine" and "Do It! Now."

So I was actively buying current Single Vs from 2008-2011.

When and why did they stop?

aine
ANGERME

Re: Whatever Happened to Single V releases?

Post by aine »

<del>DohhhUP</del> YouTube happened

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

I think it has been replaced by Event V, which include Close-up version and Dance shot versions, if the latter are not include in the Edition SP DVD they sometimes release (which also may have a making of but it seeems these are getting really scarce). You can look up every Event V content on their ralted single information page on Hello!Project wikia website.

These Event V are usually sold at the venue of the release event of the single and a bit later on the fanclub online shop (available to order only 1 month). As for general releases, I don't know well but from a quick search on CD Japan, they did sell more recent ones than the ones you listed, under the name "Event Video". If you reallly want some though, some are up on Yahoo! Auctions Japan (イベントV + group's name in Japanese, if you want to look them up).
Last edited by Meikochi on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campy <3 !
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I looked up a lot of the single V's in my collection and they're mostly out of print on CDJapan.

What I'm really upset about is that I wanted to get the most recent Tsubaki SP edition, which has all three PVs on it and it's already out of print on CDJapan. It only came out in July.
This is the title: Date no Hi wa Nido Kurai Shower Shite Dekaketai / Junjo cm (Centimeter) / Konya Dake Ukaretakatta [Type SP] [w/ DVD, Limited Edition]
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

They usually only print them once, and once they’re sold out, they’re sold out.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="Saya"]
[/quote]

Which wasn't always the case. When I became a fan and gradually learned of the existence of older Single V releases for MM, W, and the solo artists, I bought a lot of them from CDJapan, years after their initial release. E.g. in 2010, I bought the Single V for MM's "As for One Day," which came out in 2003.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

I think video compilations just aren't as profitable or attractive as they once were, so they don't put as much effort into producing them.  Only diehard fans want to buy that type of thing nowadays.  Anyone casual in their fandom is generally content to stream the video on YouTube.
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by TheParuProject »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="215788" data-time="1541161401"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Saya" data-cid="215787" data-time="1541134315">
</blockquote>

Which wasn't always the case. When I became a fan and gradually learned of the existence of older Single V releases for MM, W, and the solo artists, I bought a lot of them from CDJapan, years after their initial release. E.g. in 2010, I bought the Single V for MM's "As for One Day," which came out in 2003.</blockquote>

I assume Saya was speaking of your desire for Tsubaki Factory's Limited SP specifically, what with it being a limited edition. :P
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="TheParuProject"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="215788" data-time="1541161401">

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Saya" data-cid="215787" data-time="1541134315">
</blockquote>

Which wasn't always the case. When I became a fan and gradually learned of the existence of older Single V releases for MM, W, and the solo artists, I bought a lot of them from CDJapan, years after their initial release. E.g. in 2010, I bought the Single V for MM's "As for One Day," which came out in 2003.</blockquote>

I assume Saya was speaking of your desire for Tsubaki Factory's Limited SP specifically, what with it being a limited edition. :P

[/quote]

Oh, I see...thanks for the clarification.