[2019.09.04] Suzuki Airi - Escape

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

[2019.09.04] Suzuki Airi - Escape

Post by TheParuProject »

Airi's first major single, released in 3 regular editions and 3 limited editions.

Escape PV                                        IDENTITY PV

Regular edition tracklist:

01. Escape
02. IDENTITY
03. DAYLIGHT *regular A only*
      THE BRAND NEW LOOK *regular b only*
      Watashi no Migigawa (Sound Inn "S" Version) (私の右側) *regular c only*
04. Escape (Instrumental)
05. IDENTITY (Instrumental)
06. DAYLIGHT (Instrumental) *regular A only*
      THE BRAND NEW LOOK (Instrumental) *regular b only*

Limited editions feature only Escape, IDENTITY and their instrumentals.

momoirosaya
つんく♂

Re: [2019.09.04] Suzuki Airi - Escape

Post by momoirosaya »

Loving Daylight - I’ve been playing it on repeat this week.

I like all the songs on this single, but I do feel like none of them really show off Airi’s vocal abilities well.
Last edited by momoirosaya on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by TheParuProject »

Escape and IDENTITY are really strong songs, I'm glad they picked good ones. I honestly don't like a lot of "Do me a favor", so I appreciate Airi putting her best foot forward.

I'm surprised that the single kind of followed the DMAF formula by having a "C-ute song" and a "Buono! song". That could really make it hard to sell Airi to an audience that didn't follow her from H!P.
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

^ That does annoy me a bit. I'd rather she pick a genre.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Escape has reallllly grown on me. On first listen I was not attached to it, but after the second listen I've been hooked. I also thought the MV styling was great. Escape in its lyrics, delivery and costuming has this slightly seductive punch to it that I thought was just so spot on and mesmerizing. Just a really classy, sexy vibe.

Identity hasn't caught me quite yet.
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

"Escape" is really good, and the girls in PINK CRES should be jealous that it went to Airi, because it would have made a great follow up to "Tokyo Confusion". All of the songs here are good but, like DMAF, they are stylistically all over the place. This Singers-Sans-Genres model has a common descriptor in Japan, which leads me to the same question I asked when DMAF was released: are we still calling Airi an "idol"? Because musically speaking, they are running Airi's solo career like that of an idol. Now, I don't have a huge problem with that but, while I haven't seen it stated explicitly, I get the feeling that everyone -- herself and her management included -- views her as somehow above or beyond that now. And yet, had C-ute not disbanded, this same set of songs with the same set of arrangements would have made a fairly anodyne C-ute single.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I see Airi now as more of a former idol gone solo artist. But not a full idol. I feel like from some talks I heard she’s more like just a singer now.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

I don't consider her an "idol" in the original way, but she's some hybrid of idol-performer. As far as I can tell, she's had a little bit of directive/say in how she wants things to go, but she's not creating songs, styling costumes, etc. And she still sells a ton of merch like an idol does.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

I just noticed this and her album are on Apple Music. SayuminLandol is as well.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
sayu1991
こぶしファクトリー

Post by sayu1991 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="TicTacAnyone" data-cid="218655" data-time="1568165353">
I don't consider her an "idol" in the original way, but she's some hybrid of idol-performer. As far as I can tell, she's had a little bit of directive/say in how she wants things to go, but she's not creating songs, styling costumes, etc. And she still sells a ton of merch like an idol does.</blockquote>

Actually, from what I gather, Airi actually wrote two of the songs on her first album (#DMAF and Perfect Timing) and one of the b sides from her single. She may not be writing them all but she is writing some of them and, according to interviews, she is picking which songs she sings. She also, according to interviews, is deciding how she wants her concert tours to go and what kind of experience she wants to create. She actually seems to have a lot of creative control over her career. I think it's just going to take a bit for her to figure out who she is as an artist outside of C-ute.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Sayu"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="TicTacAnyone" data-cid="218655" data-time="1568165353">
I don't consider her an "idol" in the original way, but she's some hybrid of idol-performer. As far as I can tell, she's had a little bit of directive/say in how she wants things to go, but she's not creating songs, styling costumes, etc. And she still sells a ton of merch like an idol does.
</blockquote>

Actually, from what I gather, Airi actually wrote two of the songs on her first album (#DMAF and Perfect Timing) and one of the b sides from her single. She may not be writing them all but she is writing some of them and, according to interviews, she is picking which songs she sings. She also, according to interviews, is deciding how she wants her concert tours to go and what kind of experience she wants to create. She actually seems to have a lot of creative control over her career. I think it's just going to take a bit for her to figure out who she is as an artist outside of C-ute.

[/quote]

If she has written songs and had that much directive behind the scenes, then I'd change my opinion from hybrid to just good ol' "artist" :) thanks for the info
sayu1991
こぶしファクトリー

Post by sayu1991 »

Here's one translated interview that gives a good little look into her career. I know I've read at least one other good one but I'll have to search for it again. I'm on my phone so I can't put the link in text, sorry.

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.airisuzuki.net/2019/09/trans ... elr7uI&m=1' class="bbc_url" title="External link">http://www.airisuzuki.net/2019/09/trans ... 7uI&m=1</a>

Edit: This one is even better. That website is full of excellent interviews and stuff related to Airi. It's a great way to follow her. I recommend going through it.

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.airisuzuki.net/2019/09/trans ... s.html?m=1' class="bbc_url" title="External link">http://www.airisuzuki.net/2019/09/trans ... tml?m=1</a>
Last edited by sayu1991 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

Thanks for linking these!  Haven't read the second one yet but the first one was really interesting.  I wouldn't have guessed Airi gets that much creative control, but it's very refreshing!  I remember one of the driving forces behind Gocchin leaving was the fact that she got little to no say in her solo career, even as she got older.  Glad to see UFP are learning (although I'm not sure Airin would've been afforded this much say had she debuted under H!P rather than simply UFP).
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Bless whoever 235yessy on YouTube is for making lyric videos for the B-sides!

<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU