Songs of 2020 - Ranking!

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Solarblade
ANGERME

Songs of 2020 - Ranking!

Post by Solarblade »

Jeeze was this an incredibly light year of material, deciding to do this now because I can't quite see if H!P will release anything else before 2021.

Morning Musume '20
  • KOKORO & KARADA
  • LOVEpedia
  • Ningen Kankei No way way
  • Junjou Evidence
  • Gyuusaretai Dake na no ni
ANGERME
  • Kagiri Aru Moment
  • Mirror Mirror
  • SHAKA SHAKA TO LOVE
Juice=Juice
  • Pop Music
  • Suki tte Itte yo
  • Tsuzuiteiku STORY (Symphonic Version feat. Karin)
  • Borderline
  • Va-Va-Voom
Kobushi Factory
  • Seishun no Hana
  • Start Line
Tsubaki Factory
  • Ishiki Takai Otome no Dilemma
  • Dakishimerarete Mitai
  • Nineteen no Shinkirou
  • Hair up Sora e!
  • Dansha-ISM
  • Ima Nanji?
  • My Darling ~Do you love me?~
  • Koi no UFO Catcher
Other
  • Complex ni Sayonara! / Minis.?
  • Kiiroi Sen no Uchigawa de Narande Omachi Kudasai / Kanazawa Tomoko
  • Kimi Dake ja nai sa...friends (Acoustic Version) / Murota Mizuki
  • Kaeritakunai na. / Funaki Musubu
  • Mirai no Filament / Miyamoto Karin
Last edited by Solarblade on Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Re: Songs of 2020 - Ranking!

Post by momoirosaya »

1. Pop Music

2. LovePEDIA

3. Suki tte Itte yo

4. Seishun no Hana

5. Borderline

6. K&K

The rest of the songs are fine. This has not been a good year for H!P. I also wouldn’t blame it on Corona, but I don’t think ANY bops were released this year. Plenty of other artists have released catchy interesting music this year.
Last edited by momoirosaya on Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Oh no, this reminds me that Beyooooonds did, in fact, not release a single in this year. Bad take, UF. Very bad take. It's not too late to announce one for December but I just doubt it, they'd have to speed through the recording and MV making process now since they just did the stage play. Ugh. At least the group did a few things (several photobooks, the quarantine school thing, Utano getting that drama appearance) but... sigh.

First of all, a classic colour coding...

(Love / Like / Okay / Meh / No)

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Solarblade" data-cid="221146" data-time="1603602136">
Morning Musume '20
<ul class="bbc">[*]KOKORO & KARADA
[*]LOVEpedia
[*]Ningen Kankei No way way
[*]Junjou Evidence
[*]Gyuusaretai Dake na no ni
[/list]ANGERME
<ul class="bbc">[*]Kagiri Aru Moment
[*]Mirror Mirror
[*]SHAKA SHAKA TO LOVE
[/list]Juice=Juice
<ul class="bbc">[*]Pop Music
[*]Suki tte Itte yo
[*]Tsuzuiteiku STORY (Symphonic Version feat. Karin)
[*]Borderline
[*]Va-Va-Voom
[/list]Kobushi Factory
<ul class="bbc">[*]Seishun no Hana
[*]Start Line
[/list]Tsubaki Factory
<ul class="bbc">[*]Ishiki Takai Otome no Dilemma
[*]Dakishimerarete Mitai
[*]Nineteen no Shinkirou
[*]Hair up Sora e!
[*]Dansha-ISM
[*]Ima Nanji?
[*]My Darling ~Do you love me?~
[*]Koi no UFO Catcher
[/list]Other
<ul class="bbc">[*]Complex ni Sayonara! / Minis.?
[*]Kiiroi Sen no Uchigawa de Narande Omachi Kudasai / Kanazawa Tomoko
[*]Kimi Dake ja nai sa...friends (Acoustic Version) / Murota Mizuki
[*]Mirai no Filament / Miyamoto Karin
[*]Kaeritakunai na. / Funaki Musubu
[/list]</blockquote>

A ranking:

First of all, the songs that I couldn't find / never listened to:
<ul class="bbc">[*]Kimi Dake ja nai sa...friends (Acoustic Version) / Murota Mizuki
[*]Koi no UFO Catcher
[/list]I think I might have listened to short preview versions of the Tsubaki songs but they weren't exactly catchy. Kimi Dake is a decent song, can't go that wrong with it.

Now the songs that I love:

1. Suki tte Itte yo

2. Pop Music

3. LOVEpedia

Suki tte is just everything I want from a Juice=Juice song. It's a bit back to the roots, paired with their sweet vocals.

I've definitely listened more to Pop Music, though... it's just too catchy. And in fact I could get a few friends to listen to it and they loved it as well.

LOVEpedia is fresh, it's a great debut for 15th gen. I wish MM would do more fun songs like this one. If you release 2 a-sides every time you can still have a fun song with every single!

The songs that I like:

4. Ningen Kankei no Way Way

5. KOKORO & KARADA

6. Mirror Mirror

7. Seishun no Hana

8. Kiiroi Sen no Uchigawa de Narande Omachi Kudasai

These are the songs I still go to listen to every now and then.

NinKei is fun, but more on the cool line. It also features girls that usually don't get that much spotlight, like Akane and Kaede.

K&K is weirdly fresh for MM's EDM (and now we know it's because Ookubo didn't do the main line lmao). No really, that one was cool. Actually cool.

Mirror Mirror makes me dance. It still kind of runs into the "Like It" song Anju has done some time ago when I try to think of it, but the dance moves are definitely in my head.

Now, Seishun no Hana is a song that makes me sentimental. It's still good, not the best ballad Kobushi has done, but decent.

The biggest surprise is probably Kanatomo's song here. Just a guilty pleasure song, honestly.

The okay-ish songs are the ones that I either don't really remember or that I think are just, well, okay as idol-songs. Like Tsubaki had no bad songs this years, but also no good ones either.

9. Borderline

10. DanshaISM

11. Start Line

12. Ishiki Takai Otome no Dilemma

13. Dakishimerarete Mitai

14. Hair Up Sora e!

Not much to say about that, honestly.
The meh-songs are the ones I usually skip because there's something I really don't like about them.

15. Va-Va-Voom
16. Tsuzuiteiku Story (Karin-vers.)
17. Kagiriaru Moment
18. Ima Nanji?
19. Nineteen no Shinkirou

And, uh, the Minis. song. It would have been cute if... idk, if I was in a cute mood. None of these girls really scream cute to me, though. Yokoyan and Chisaki are caught up in MM's cool prison, Moe is a bit too distinguished to be super cute and Funakki... she could probably work it the best, but it just doesn't add up.

A year with a few very good songs, but mostly, well, releases that had to be done. Nothing too bad though like A Gonna.
Last edited by DonJuan on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Suki tte Itte yo is song of the year hands down
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Does "Vitamin ME" not count in this ranking?
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

[quote="JPope"]
Does "Vitamin ME" not count in this ranking?
[/quote]

Technically, the song hasn't been released yet...all we have is the PV....it's a grey area, but I kept it off....still a shame that there's no BEYOOOOONDS release (besides their stageplay OST this year).
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

WonderBuono wrote: Suki tte Itte yo is song of the year hands down

Close.

KF-Seishun no Hana
JJ-Suki tte Itte yo
TF-Dakishimerarete Mitai
AN-Mirror Mirror
MM-LOVEpedia
TF-Ishiki Takai Otome no Dilemma
MM-Ningen Kankei No way way
TF-Dansha-ISM
MM-KOKORO & KARADA
AN-Kagiri Aru Moment
TF-Ima Nanji?
JJ-Borderline
JJ-Va-Va-Voom
JJ-Tsuzuiteiku STORY (Symphonic Version feat. Karin)
TF-Koi no UFO Catcher
TF-Hair up Sora e!
BY-Vitamin ME
TF-My Darling ~Do you love me?~
TF-Nineteen no Shinkirou
JJ-Pop Music
KF-Start Line

Kobushi releasing a total of two songs, and having them rank first and last kind of sums up my frustration with what KF became. "KOKORO & KARADA" would have ranked top-five, but for the fact that it relies so heavily on a fucking sample pack. I went ahead and included the Vitamin song, which I like a lot more upon listening to it today than I did when the video was released. Pretty much everything above "Pop Music" I like at least a little bit, so not a bad year considering what it was.
Last edited by JPope on Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I’d like a fun surprise Beyooooonds Christmas themed single this year with their “characters” I think it would a nice 2020 mood breaker.

Heck if they did a H!P themed one I’d be just as happy.

This really turned into a year where everyone was working together and all the groups went on hiatus for a majority of it thanks to Covid.

I’ll need to go through the list and pick through the songs I liked.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

I went ahead and made a playlist of this year's releases in the same order Solar listed if anyone wants an easy way to play them all against each other.
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

[quote="DonJuan"]
Oh no, this reminds me that Beyooooonds did, in fact, not release a single in this year. Bad take, UF. Very bad take. It's not too late to announce one for December but I just doubt it, they'd have to speed through the recording and MV making process now since they just did the stage play. Ugh. At least the group did a few things (several photobooks, the quarantine school thing, Utano getting that drama appearance) but... sigh.

First of all, a classic colour coding...

(Love / Like / Okay / Meh / No)

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Solarblade" data-cid="221146" data-time="1603602136">
Morning Musume '20
<ul class="bbc">[*]KOKORO & KARADA
[*]LOVEpedia
[*]Ningen Kankei No way way
[/list]ANGERME
<ul class="bbc">[*]Kagiri Aru Moment
[*]Mirror Mirror
[/list]Juice=Juice
<ul class="bbc">[*]Pop Music
[*]Suki tte Itte yo
[*]Tsuzuiteiku STORY (Symphonic Version feat. Karin)
[*]Borderline
[*]Va-Va-Voom
[/list]Kobushi Factory
<ul class="bbc">[*]Seishun no Hana
[*]Start Line
[/list]Tsubaki Factory
<ul class="bbc">[*]Ishiki Takai Otome no Dilemma
[*]Dakishimerarete Mitai
[*]Nineteen no Shinkirou
[*]Hair up Sora e!
[*]Dansha-ISM
[*]Ima Nanji?
[*]Koi no UFO Catcher
[/list]Other
<ul class="bbc">[*]Complex ni Sayonara! / Minis.?
[*]Kiiroi Sen no Uchigawa de Narande Omachi Kudasai / Kanazawa Tomoko
[*]Kimi Dake ja nai sa...friends (Acoustic Version) / Murota Mizuki
[/list]</blockquote>

A ranking:

First of all, the songs that I couldn't find / never listened to:
<ul class="bbc">[*]Kimi Dake ja nai sa...friends (Acoustic Version) / Murota Mizuki
[*]Koi no UFO Catcher
[/list]I think I might have listened to short preview versions of the Tsubaki songs but they weren't exactly catchy. Kimi Dake is a decent song, can't go that wrong with it.

Now the songs that I love:

1. Suki tte Itte yo

2. Pop Music

3. LOVEpedia

Suki tte is just everything I want from a Juice=Juice song. It's a bit back to the roots, paired with their sweet vocals.

I've definitely listened more to Pop Music, though... it's just too catchy. And in fact I could get a few friends to listen to it and they loved it as well.

LOVEpedia is fresh, it's a great debut for 15th gen. I wish MM would do more fun songs like this one. If you release 2 a-sides every time you can still have a fun song with every single!

The songs that I like:

4. Ningen Kankei no Way Way

5. KOKORO & KARADA

6. Mirror Mirror

7. Seishun no Hana

8. Kiiroi Sen no Uchigawa de Narande Omachi Kudasai

These are the songs I still go to listen to every now and then.

NinKei is fun, but more on the cool line. It also features girls that usually don't get that much spotlight, like Akane and Kaede.

K&K is weirdly fresh for MM's EDM (and now we know it's because Ookubo didn't do the main line lmao). No really, that one was cool. Actually cool.

Mirror Mirror makes me dance. It still kind of runs into the "Like It" song Anju has done some time ago when I try to think of it, but the dance moves are definitely in my head.

Now, Seishun no Hana is a song that makes me sentimental. It's still good, not the best ballad Kobushi has done, but decent.

The biggest surprise is probably Kanatomo's song here. Just a guilty pleasure song, honestly.

The okay-ish songs are the ones that I either don't really remember or that I think are just, well, okay as idol-songs. Like Tsubaki had no bad songs this years, but also no good ones either.

9. Borderline

10. DanshaISM

11. Start Line

12. Ishiki Takai Otome no Dilemma

13. Dakishimerarete Mitai

14. Hair Up Sora e!

Not much to say about that, honestly.
The meh-songs are the ones I usually skip because there's something I really don't like about them.

15. Va-Va-Voom
16. Tsuzuiteiku Story (Karin-vers.)
17. Kagiriaru Moment
18. Ima Nanji?
19. Nineteen no Shinkirou

And, uh, the Minis. song. It would have been cute if... idk, if I was in a cute mood. None of these girls really scream cute to me, though. Yokoyan and Chisaki are caught up in MM's cool prison, Moe is a bit too distinguished to be super cute and Funakki... she could probably work it the best, but it just doesn't add up.

A year with a few very good songs, but mostly, well, releases that had to be done. Nothing too bad though like A Gonna.
[/quote]

I kind of wonder if this unit was supposed to be connected to Minimoni since it consists of short members (since the book had Yurina)....song does give me vibes like them xD
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

OK, updated it with the end of the year releases lol
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Unfortunately for you, (fortunately for us :lol:)...

Funakki just released a solo track as well ^^; The song is called Kaeritakunai na.
https://recochoku.jp/song/S1010021065
https://twitter.com/hipnewsservice/status/1336434126736424966/photo/1
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="DonJuan" data-cid="221430" data-time="1607466096">
Unfortunately for you, (fortunately for us :lol:)...

Funakki just released a solo track as well ^^; The song is called Kaeritakunai na.
<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://recochoku.jp/song/S1010021065' class="bbc_url" title="External link">https://recochoku.jp/song/S1010021065</a>
<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://twitter.com/hipnewsservice/stat ... 66/photo/1' class="bbc_url" title="External link">https://twitter.com/hipnewsservice/stat ... blockquote>

Lmao essentially

Also said song is a solo take from the same track found on ANGERME's "Rinnetenshou" album
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

Hello! 2020! Let’s see what you have brought for us fans this year? | Iroppoi Twilight Game (wordpress.com)

Didn't take too long, but I finished it before the new year so yay I suppose? XD
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Nice write-up! My biggest takeaway from that post is that you and I have completely different tastes in music.  :lol:
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

[quote="JPope"]
Nice write-up! My biggest takeaway from that post is that you and I have completely different tastes in music.  :lol:
[/quote]
Oooph!  I feel it XD