[2022.12.21] Morning Musume '22 - Swing Swing Paradise / Happy birthday to Me!

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Solarblade
ANGERME

[2022.12.21] Morning Musume '22 - Swing Swing Paradise / Happy birthday to Me!

Post by Solarblade »

Quietly announced it seems, but we're getting a new single!, Rio Sakurai's debut and Kaede's final single (although she'll be graduated before the single's release).

http://helloproject.com/release/detail/EPCE-7721/

Also seems like Swing Swing Paradise will have a "Special Edit" instrumental?

===Tracklist===
1. Swing Swing Paradise
2. Happy birthday to Me!
3. Swing Swing Paradise (Special Edit) (Instrumental)
4. Happy birthday to Me! (Instrumental)

Swing Swing Paradise: Lyrics and Composition: Tsunku, Arranged by Hirata Shouichiro
Happy birthday to Me!: Lyrics and Composition: Tsunku, Arranged by Okubo Kaoru
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Re: [2022.12,21] Morning Musume '22 - Swing Swing Paradise / Happy birthday to Me!

Post by Shoujo Q »

Happy Birthday to whooooo? Morning Musume? :clap:

Please let it be an anniversary song.

I'm sad I'm not getting my Christmas single, once again. But I'll live. What's another 25 year wait? :ph34r:

Bummed this is coming AFTER Kaga graduates, but I do hope we'll get a few live performances before she does leave.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Re: [2022.12.21] Morning Musume '22 - Swing Swing Paradise / Happy birthday to Me!

Post by DonJuan »

Hoo-raaaayyy, fucking finally. Just before the new generation I guess. <_<

But yeah, in general I'm glad we do get one after all, even though Kaga graduating before sucks. She graduates a whipping 11 days before the release.
I've gotten used to H!P groups releasing two singles at most per year, but is there a good reason to squeeze them all into windows of 3 months each? Last time we got May to July (Biyo and Anju in May, Morning and Tsubaki in June, Ocha in July), now we've got October to December (Anju today, Juice and Ocha in November, Morning in December).

I guess that also means that aside from Juice, Biyo and Tsubaki also get only one single this year. At least Biyo and Juice got albums.

Judging from the arrangers I won't like Happy birthday, Swing Swing is gonna be a wildcard.
JPope
ANGERME

Re: [2022.12.21] Morning Musume '22 - Swing Swing Paradise / Happy birthday to Me!

Post by JPope »

Solarblade wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:55 am Quietly announced it seems, but we're getting a new single!, Rio Sakurai's debut and Kaede's final single (although she'll be graduated before the single's release).
FFS.

A couple of strong arrangers, so I'm mildly excited for this.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I'm curious about the "Special Edit" and what that means? Without all the bells and whistles, just a bare bones instrumental?
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

Since it's swing, I wonder if it will have extended instrumental band breaks.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Just saw both songs performed on Full Chorus.
Swing is a bit... funny lol. I wouldn't call it "swing" per se. Very Kaede-heavy.

Happy Birthday is very even and still quite the Kaede-focus. That's more in line with the "happy EDM" MM has been doing for albums. The rap is mostly prominent in the beginning and imo not necessary, but they need to put Ayumi somewhere.

Generally speaking however: I like both songs quite a bit! Which is unusual for MM lol
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

It’s not a bad single.
The opening of Swing got me fire a minute. I was like a second away from saying I hated it.

They Happy Birthday song was more on the forgettable side for me.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Happy Birthday To Me:

Swing Swing Paradise:

Listening to it again... Happy Birthday isn't really EDM lol. But it does fit the "energy" thing MM has been trying to push for a while now.
And in a better recording the swing in Swing Swing Paradise definitely gets through.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Youtube cut of the performances, without the weird glitches in Swing Swing Paradise.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Are these lip-synchs? It almost feels like they did quickie studio recordings with the live mics and sang to them for this. The levels just seem too smoothly consistent for an actual live performance.

Anyway, the songs are decent. I'm not sure how much I like them, but I know I don't dislike them, so there's room to grow. It's nice to see a break from the Fukumura Era sound, though.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Oh, I was actually thinking the same about lip-synchs! Or rather, I was really impressed with them. I guess we will know once we get actual recordings of the songs, but if they are different then I gotta say, maybe current line-up *is* one of the best at live singing.

... yeah, I don't know either.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I don't think they lip-synched to the studio recordings for the official release -- Mukidashi de Mukiatte would've revealed that -- I think they cut quick-and-dirty tracks with the same (or similar) mic that they use for lives, and lip synched to that. At a minimum they've been aggressively tuned in post-production.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Radio rip of Happy Birthday. Man, I think that's the first song by Morning that I've liked nearly immediately in... years.
Also, MV will be uploaded tomorrow (November 11) 9 pm (JST).
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Aaaand here is the MV of Happy birthday to Me!

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

The intro reminds feels like it's ripped from a big MTV hit from the 80s, but I can't place it.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

PV for Swing Swing Paradise is out.

The ending was interesting, so much so I wonder if it was just for the MV or if it's actually part of the song. Color me interested to find out!
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Judging from their performance I think it's only part of the MV.

Sigh... I really like the new songs but MM's MVs are always so boring. Dance, close up, the girls getting touchy, some visual effect. Especially the newer girls have enough charisma to try out something new.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

DonJuan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:54 am Dance, close up, the girls getting touchy, some visual effect.
Ha ha! This is dead on. What is with the girls-getting-touchy thing, anyway? This has become a full-on MM trope by now. I honestly hate everything about this video: the brightly lit cheap-ass set; the red and black costumes; the sfx that feel like an afterthought; the formula. Everything feels wrong for the song. And I kinda like the song.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

See, I would've understood if it was the girls swooning over Kaede, full Mr Moonlight style, especially Rio since she's a big Kaede fan. But yeah, may it be Kokoro to Karada, Yoshi Yoshi, even Mukidashi... seems like someone from management has a fetish... yikes.

And yeah. It's cheap. All of that is cheap. When I saw that little TV in space I thought of The Manpower, like we've had that kind of quality years ago. OCHA using greenscreen as an homage to H!P weirdness doesn't feel as cheap despite poking fun at it.

And this is the biggest group under the umbrella, not the freshly debuted newbie group. Sigh. If all their budget went to Happy Birthday, okay, but all that was not-cheap about that was the use of a second costume. (And the white ones for WRio and the cake i guess.)
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

Hmmm, reading Tsunku's liner notes, that ending may make it onto the CD. Maybe that's why the instrumental is different.