The Best! ~Updated Morning Musume。~

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Meikochi
ANGERME

Re: The Best! ~Updated Morning Musume。~

Post by Meikochi »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
<a href="http://helplessdreamchaser.tumblr.com/p ... best">Full on Wolf Boy goodness</a>. :heart:
[/quote]

Thanks for the link ! Love this song :heart: (I was waiting for the full version since I heard an extract x) ).
Campy <3 !
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

I can't believe how much I'm loving the redone versions. Aruiteru is the only one of the bunch I don't like.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="neshcom"]
Wow, that promotional boost from Wagamama really didn't have a lot of steam, huh? I wonder if this was a bit of a sandbag move to space out single promotions and avoid oversaturation. The songs are a great idea, especially for bringing some consistency to the nonstop concert tours, but they are a tough sell as a CD. I mean, does anyone in Japan really <i>want </i>to hear an "updated" Love Machine or RR21? Whether you dig the execution or not, "check out this new I WISH" isn't thrilling. 
[/quote]

I think it would've been much smarter to follow it up with an original album.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

I'm excited for Momusu's next actual original album. I hope they pull a Berryz and split off into groups.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

Yep, I liked them all (love I WISH) but Auriteru... it was just ruined.
ShiroiChanUK
こぶしファクトリー

Post by ShiroiChanUK »

The album dropped to #6 today Image
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/d/2013-09-25/more/2/
#3 sold 4,406.

I'm guessing the album has sold about 10K already which is pretty decent for a MoMusu album :)

Last edited by ShiroiChanUK on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trinu
つばきファクトリー

Post by Trinu »

I guess I'm one of the few who like this a lot.

I think it's a very good idea to freshen up some songs of the songs to remind people why MM is what it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if they followed it up with a The Best! 2 or something on the line for the spring tour (and continue with the "Current Morning Musume" thing until the 12th gen gets in).
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Apparently they changed some of the choreo for LM and RR21:

Kawasaki CLUB CITTA album release event 9-26-13

1.Help Me!! (Updated)

MC - introduction.

MC - they talk about choreography changes for Love Machine and RR21

2.Love Machine (Updated)

3.RR21 (Updated)

MC

4.Wagamama Kinomama Ai no Joke

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="ShiroiChanUK"]
The album dropped to #6 today Image
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/d/2013-09-25/more/2/
#3 sold 4,406.

I'm guessing the album has sold about 10K already which is pretty decent for a MoMusu album :)
[/quote]

Not really, and especially not for a "Best Of" album. That's really, really bad. Like shockingly bad.

I think this was a huge misstep by UFA. They finally re-establish Morning Musume as a relevant idol group with new members and a new sound, and what do they give us? Fucking "Love Machine," "RR21," "The☆Peace!" etc. Way to distinguish the new generation of MM by shackling them to the past.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

No, it's pretty normal. Albums do not sell for jack shit these days. Even with C-ute's album coming out with all the Budokan hype, it did nothing.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

C-ute didn't really do any sort of worthwhile promotion for their album, and on top of that, it sucked.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Albums don't get promotion anymore. They've ceased being about new material years ago and are just a yearly single compilation, which means most people don't bother with them since they've been buying the singles all along.
Trinu
つばきファクトリー

Post by Trinu »

Depends on the artist, IMO.

Ayaka's singles sell/sold like crap and yet her albums sold pretty well (her first was a million seller).

People buy stuff because they see something that they like. Wagamama (and all their previous singles) would have sold like Sexy Boy if it wasn't thanks to all the promotion they did for it/them, so... yeah.

And I think it's smart for them to update the classics. It's not about shackling them to the past, but a reason to keep linking them to their name.
No original member is around anymore and Sayu will leave eventually. They group could be called anything, but they're called Morning Musume and that name has a past. They can't cut off with it was before 9th gen came in, with what Yuko, Kaorin, Nacchi and the others did before them cause they wouldn't be there in the first place.
Last edited by Trinu on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trinu" data-cid="163888" data-time="1380213732">
<div>And I think it's smart for them to update the classics. It's not about shackling them to the past, but a reason to keep linking them to their name.
No original member is around anymore and Sayu will leave eventually. They group could be called anything, but they're called Morning Musume and that name has a past. They can't cut off with it was before 9th gen came in, with what Yuko, Kaorin, Nacchi and the others did before them cause they wouldn't be there in the first place.
</div>
</blockquote>

I totally disagree. It's time to let these girls create their own legacy and identity. Making them record "Love Machine" and other moldy oldies just takes attention away from the really good new stuff they've released that past three years. They've actually gained new fans who like this group for who they are, not for what they came from. New fans don't want to hear remakes of "Love Machine" or RR21 anymore than American kids want to hear remakes of "Hit Me Baby One More Time" or "Oops!... I Did It Again."

The Updated album should have been a concert only CD since it seems to be primarily a vehicle to allow the oldies to be performed live for the next decade without sounding completely dated. I really think they missed an opportunity to build on the group's recent string of success by releasing an album of nostalgia rather than a new original album. And as bad as shoving LM and RR21 on us again is, reminding people of fucking "Aruiteu and "The Manpower" is an absolutely egregious mistake if you want new fans to stick around for more.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="JPope"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trinu" data-cid="163888" data-time="1380213732">
<div>And I think it's smart for them to update the classics. It's not about shackling them to the past, but a reason to keep linking them to their name.
[/quote]

I totally disagree. It's time to let these girls create their own legacy and identity. Making them record "Love Machine" and other moldy oldies just takes attention away from the really good new stuff they've released that past three years. They've actually gained new fans who like this group for who they are, not for what they came from. New fans don't want to hear remakes of "Love Machine" or RR21 anymore than American kids want to hear remakes of "Hit Me Baby One More Time" or "Oops!... I Did It Again."

The Updated album should have been a concert only CD since it seems to be primarily a vehicle to allow the oldies to be performed live for the next decade without sounding completely dated. I really think they missed an opportunity to build on the group's recent string of success by releasing an album of nostalgia rather than a new original album. And as bad as shoving LM and RR21 on us again is, reminding people of fucking "Aruiteu and "The Manpower" is an absolutely egregious mistake if you want new fans to stick around for more.

</div>
</blockquote>

As an American kid, I agree with all of this and more.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

If they were going to do a new original album, the group would have lost a ton of momentum waiting for a bunch of completely new tracks. With this, they get to include 123 and Renai Hunter which are in the new sound vein while trying to appease the old fans with a sign that the old songs aren't totally dead. Now, they can set up real promo, maybe shoot music videos, and get real-looking "e's." We know no good comes out of rushed Tsunku content, y'all. Now, MM can focus on songs for a 10-member group. I dunno, it's hard to talk about things that didn't happen.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Haru
ANGERME

Post by Haru »

Oh it's not a drastic change. I can deal with that.
[11:13:35 PM] Liam: DO NOT LET JAPANESE IDOLS GET IN THE WAY OF THE *AMERICAN* DREAM
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

<div>
[quote="neshcom"]
If they were going to do a new original album, the group would have lost a ton of momentum waiting for a bunch of completely new tracks. With this, they get to include 123 and Renai Hunter which are in the new sound vein while trying to appease the old fans with a sign that the old songs aren't totally dead. Now, they can set up real promo, maybe shoot music videos, and get real-looking "e's." We know no good comes out of rushed Tsunku content, y'all. Now, MM can focus on songs for a 10-member group. I dunno, it's hard to talk about things that didn't happen.
[/quote]

</div>
Point taken on rushed Tsunku content. So how's about Best! 3, then? It's been nearly 10 years since Best! 2 (lol wut!), so they could still include all of the EDM tracks while fleshing it out with just the cream from 2004 - 2011. I still think that would sell like shit, though. (And I sense a new create-your-own-album thread is imminent...)

As much as I love those old songs, I really wish they'd stop performing them altogether and just concentrate on their new sound with new songs. I realize this is a minority opinion and I'm being selfish, but I fail to see how an idol group that publicly aspires to be "cool" can ever be perceived as such performing songs that are almost as old as they are.
Last edited by JPope on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwIvZ9enkmA&feature=em-uploademail
Wolfie boy.

So amazing, I wish this was a single....
ShiroiChanUK
こぶしファクトリー

Post by ShiroiChanUK »

The album is at #4 today :)
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/d/2013-09-26/
#3 sold 2,592 copies.

Wolf Boy - Translation
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">
Wolf boy, who can't become serious
Wolf boy, who is also too kind

Just what in the world, are you for real?

You can't even retract your fangs

Wolf boy, only on a full moon

Wolf boy, who is good at seducing

You're not doing anything.

Don't hide so sneakly so I can't see you

Don't fake your feelings of love

Don't be so surprised, don't run away

Don't give up, include everything together

with great love and pack it all,

and help someone with a quick response

I'll say it very clearly

that I'm really lonely

so that you'll come in a dash

I want you to love me firmly

wipe my tears away softly when I cry

and tell me I don't need to worry

LALALALA... Wolf Boy

LALALALA... Wolf Boy

It's okay to touch, Wolf Boy

You can do what you like, Wolf boy

You're quite a wimp, aren't you

Come on decide with your spirit, Wolf boy

Love me right here, Wolf boy

You're not doing anything.

Since I said so, continue until the end

though you're acting too fickle in between

Making excuses and blaming others

actling like you don't know, you have a bad way of living*

But I'll forgive you with this tremendous love

and award you with the highest ovation

I'll say it very clearly

that I'm really lonely

so that you'll come in a dash

I want you to love me firmly

wipe my tears away softly when I cry

and tell me I don't need to worry

I'll say it very plainly,

As I thought, it's annoying

I don't want you with anyone other than me

You can blame this all on yourself

In this small heart of mine

I really hate myself a lot right now

LALALALA... Wolf Boy

LALALALA... Wolf Boy

*darashi ga nai, is like an expression of saying to someone that you're not well mannered or that you don't seem to lead your life in a "correct way" .... in terms of the Japanese culture that is to say.
</blockquote>
Credits go to Snipey from Hello! Online

Last edited by ShiroiChanUK on Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

So thats the english translation of the song. Interesting. It sounds cool so it shoudl've been an album song.
Formerly Mizura
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Down to number 10 today. 3 sold 2212 copies.
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

Finally listened to the entire album, and as a whole, it just sounds just like a remix album (TRANCE album, anyone? That album was forever ago...), which doesn't make the songs sound quite as out of place as they did just listening as the previews came out. The album definitely fits with their latest singles, but a lot of the updated versions sound like they're lacking something as a whole song, but they definitely sound like remixes now as opposed to "updated." There are few songs on this that could stand on their own if they did a single of them or promoted them.

There are bits and pieces I like and think are good additions to the songs (the tru-tru's in The*Peace after the speech for one and the harmony parts in Manpower), but overall, I don't know if I would listen to these songs over the originals. Souda! lost some of its funky charm. Manpower is definitely my favorite of the remixes. LOVE Machine isn't as bad as I originally remember thinking. Aruiteru fits Sayumi really well, and I actually do like it better than the original, but I don't like the original much. I wish One.Two.Three was the first song on the album, though. It kind of threw off the flow of the album for me. Wakuteka just updated the vocals, which was nice, but I kind of missed Reina. I wish the verses were Sakura/Mizuki or Riho/Kanon-Ayumi. It was weird going from Riho to Sakura. Their voices are way too different. 
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Ranked 6 with 16,527 copies sold.
zlilzlilzlil
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by zlilzlilzlil »

This is their best first week for an album since 2008, "sexy 8 beat" was the last one to sell more than that.

This is also the best ranking since "ai no dan 6 kan" - it's tied with the last original album, and the collection album released in 2007.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

What is the total number sold thus far?
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

For this album? 16,527. That's the count for the entire week, not today.
Last edited by Anderei on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Finally got a chance to sit and listen to the whole album and it ends up being a pretty good collection. The recent singles are really good, though I didn't listen to the originals enough to know if there were any changes beyond line distribution. The best remakes are the ones that try to have their own character away from the original version. Manpower, I WISH, Souda, and The Peace are great versions and are able to turn the core ideas of those songs into more modern feels. Love Machine and RR21 are so wrapped up in the legacy of those songs that they need to stay close to the original arrangements that they lose that freshness the remakes are supposed to have. Aruiteru feels like one of the biggest missteps regarding the remakes. It's blending regal themes with a 90s house beat and Sayu's cute voice and it's just a mess of frosting. The arrangement for Wolf Boy has grown on me, but the vocals are the killer for me. The constant vocal triggering/gating with the percussive hits (1:29) is the bottleneck here. It's not impressive and, unless there's a lyrical reason those lines need to punctuated like that, it's just fluff. Other than that, the production is pretty high quality and has a lot of catchy moments.
Overall, I really liked the album. It's a nice way to get these older songs back into my regular listening cycle and all the tracks fit into a mostly cohesive sound and theme. I don't know if knowing the older songs really well adds to the value of this collection, but I think you could come in with a totally fresh ear and enjoy it. Listening to the old songs with the modern sound gives the impression of "idol music" with the chants and call-and-responses. I wonder if, in a vacuum, these new arrangements would work for other idol groups like MomoClo or AKB. These songs' genre characteristics were something that separated MM a few clicks from other "idol" sounds, but the trade-off here has been arrangements that are cool to listen to (and the tactical element of cementing line distribution). Going forward, will Morning Musume continue this trend of more approachable, modern music? Thinking back, I've certainly not been a fan of their left-field sounds (PyocoPyoco, Kimagure), so I guess I'd be getting what I've been begging for sound-wise.